511 North Church St.
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mcninchhouserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7043326159x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Only: Tuesday - Saturday evenings
Seatings every 30 minutes from 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental
- Executive Chef: William Parham
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private party accommodations are offered for groups up to 50. We welcome weddings, rehearsal dinners, corporate closing dinners, and medical education dinners, and will be happy to discuss your individual group's needs for private dining.
- Private Party Contact: Corey Cochran 704-332-6159x
A word from McNinch House
For the last 22 years, the ca. 1892 Queen Anne style home of Victorian-era Charlotte Mayor Sam McNinch has served as the McNinch House Restaurant. In this historic Fourth Ward home of chef/owner Ellen Davis, guests can expect to be treated like royalty during their multi-course culinary journey. Featuring Charlotte's most carefully constructed wine list, guests will select their entrees from the chef's choice menu, and professional service staff will take care of the rest. Recognized as Charlotte's Most Romantic Restaurant, The McNinch House Restaurant is the perfect place for your anniversary, birthday, special event, private corporate or executive dining. **ALL RESERVATIONS MUST INCLUDE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS TO CONFIRM**Continued
Dinner Only, Prix Fixe:
+ alcohol, tax, & gratuity (20% standard)
Dinner Only, Prix Fixe:
+ alcohol, tax, & gratuity (20% standard)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
McNinch House - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
McNinch House reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (65)romantic (60)notable wine list (41)fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- comfortable chairsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014First let me say this was a very romantic atmosphere and I get the whole old furniture adding ambiance thing, but If the meal is going to be dragged out for about 2:30-3 hours, I'd sincerely recommend more comfortable chairs. My back and bottom were going numb before the main entrée had arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HistoricRomanticDined on 10/11/2014The McNinch house is filled with rich Charlotte history. The atmosphere is very subdued but has plenty to offer with its nice romantic ambiance. The service is impeccable and the food is great. It is pricey but worth it on a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/10/2014First time there and I could not have been more pleased. The food was beyond outstanding .. The wine list very we'll put together. The service was excellent and without out doubt, one of the top two restaurants in Charlotte!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying hardCGTracyDined on 10/9/2014A really beautiful spot. Lamb was excellent. Service surprisingly a bit inattentive for a destination spot for fine dining and romance. I was worth a business associate and maybe that was the difference? My guests salmon dish was promising but served well done..... No one checked on our meal after being served. Desert cheesecake bland.Special Features:
- A Charlotte Dining Gem842festDined on 10/1/2014I can't say enough about the wonderful evening my wife & I experienced at the McNinch House Restaurant in Charlotte. From the friendly, well versed top-notch staff, to the absolutely fabulous dinner, matched only by the romantic setting of a Victorian era interior space with deep colors & rich woodwork. The food here is largely Southern. The wine program has won major awards from the two top wine magazines & is very extensive. The staff are expert in helping to navigate the list or provide a variety of wine pairings with your meal. Dinner is fixed-price with several course offerings. For a truly memorable evening, please check out the McNinch House-you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2014Great service from Valet on arrival. Wait staff very attentive. Quality of food was very good both from a presentation and a taste perspective. Wine pairings not as strong as I was expecting but ok nevertheless. Will return for special occasions but otherwise too pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in Charlotte.asbranVIPDined on 9/27/2014This is most definitely the best meal we have had since moving here 2 years ago. It is very quiet very romantic. The vibe sorta calms you and makes you want to reminisce on back in the day type convo. It's a very old Victorian home with lots of charm and history. You kinda feel like your at a rich old aunts house. The service is topnotch and the food.......I don't even know where to begin. Every bite we put in our mouths took our taste buds to a whole new level. Can't wait to go back, it truly is an experience. A true Charlotte gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Spot!DMackDiningOutDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I went for our 15 year anniversary... everything was simply great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fine Dining in CharlotteMDFoodieinNCVIPDined on 9/19/2014McNinch House is the best foodie experience I've had in Charlotte - and I've been to a LOT of fine restaurants in Charlotte. We were celebrating our anniversary and were seated in the best seat in the restored Victorian home - the 2 person table in the nook of the front dining room. We chose the 5-course prix-fixe menu. The meal started with an amuse-bouche (first place in Charlotte that has offered an amuse-bouche). Everything from the presentation to the portion to the combination of flavors is intentional and delightful. Dinner lasted 2 1/2 hours and we never felt rushed. I would absolutely return for special occasions!Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014We've always loved McNinch House and it never disappoints. It's been 10 years since our last visit and it still has it's wonderful charm. I have always recommended McNinch to our clients and many have dinned there over the years.Special Features:
- AmazingfoodnerdDined on 9/18/2014The food was elegant, straightforward and fantastically prepared. I couldn't have asked for duck that was more tender and flavorful. The wine pairings for the menu were wonderful choices. Wesley (the sommelier) made excellent, if non-traditional, choices for the menu that were incredible complements to each of the courses. It was not just a meal, it was a full evening culinary adventure.Special Features:
- McNinch HousekitkatDined on 9/18/2014This restaurant is in an old refurbished house with plenty of history. I loved the different chairs and table settings throughout. The service was excellent as well as the food. Our dinner took 2 1/2 hours. It was truly a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014One of the most Romantic lovely restaurants I have enjoyed in Charlotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014We celebrated our first anniversary here and it was absolutely perfect. It was a one of a kind experience and we had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTiffanyDined on 9/12/2014This use to be my go to place for special occasions and place to take out of town guest. At my last visit, the service was no where near the level it use to be - server walked away in the middle of open our bootle of wine, another server drop silverware on my lap. We had a party of 3 - they took a table for two moved it to the edge of the room and added a 3rd chair - felt like we were sitting in the middle of the hall. The prices are also much higher than my last visit - our tab for 3 was almost $500. They also now include gratuity in the bill - which typically results in lower levels of service. Food was good, but nothing spectacular, it has always been the service and experience that brought me back - but not after the last visit.Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful placeDoctorDrayDined on 9/9/2014This restaurant is an absolute gem. This was a first visit here for my wife and I. She was quite delighted with the ambiance and initimate setting - an old Victorian house with interesting decorations - perfect for a romantic evening and quiet conversation. You won't find another restaurant quite like it. The food was excellent and the proportions were fitting. Wesley, the wine steward, had perfect wine pairings, giving my wife and I different wines for our entrées. The prix fixe menu is a little on the high side but I don't mind paying extra if the food is excellent and the service top notch. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a romantic date or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic RestaurantenelramDined on 9/5/2014McNinch House is a special restaurant....warm, inviting, comfortable, beautiful, lovely ambiance. Food is outstanding, delicately prepared & presented. All personnel are professional, courteous, knowledgeable & helpful. McNinch House is a truly remarkable treasure for Charlotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Very special place. Super romantic. Exquisite food. Professional staff. Very private fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mcninch HousediningfineDined on 9/3/2014The house is beautiful and a Great 1 time experience.Special Features:
- Must ExperienceenontwosomeDined on 8/28/2014We had the chef's tasting & wine pairings. It was terrific but take your credit card. It's our yearly outing to a 5 star!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best in. HarlotteH3is4HVIPDined on 8/22/2014The personal service, amazing food and beautifully decorated house make this the best intimate date in Charlotte.Special Features:
- MemorableKenTarHeelDined on 8/20/2014We had waited a long time to visit the McNinch House and we were not disappointed. From the valet parking through outstanding service to the delicious food, to a rose for my wife as we departed, it was a terrific experience. Two menu items that were particularly outstanding were the she-crab soup and the steamed chocolate cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and ambiance.TwiceIn9YearsDined on 8/19/2014Awesome food and ambience. Very quiet experience. Service was a little disjointed - Less fluid than our previous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing MealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/14/2014The McNinch House is an experience. It'sin a beautiful turn of the century home that is ornately furnished and appointed so it can be very romantic. The food is excellent and the service attentive. But if you're getting the 5 choice special vs the 7 or 10 be prepared to wait awhile between your choices. The exception to this could be occasions when they're not busy or when everyone in the restaurant opts for the 5 pack, but logic says if you have a small kitchen, small staff and lots of servings to get out the the ones with the fewer choices will wait while the others are being served. It's well worth it, but just be prepared.Special Features:
- Finally...good food in Charlotteluv2dineDined on 8/14/2014The entire dining experience was wonderful from the cocktails on the front porch swing to the cheese plate for dessert. Wait staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. Our meals (all 4) were delicious! Wine parings were great. Atmosphere is lovely. Easy to talk with others. The restaurant was full yet it seemed we were the only ones there. The food was fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014Outstanding meal and outstanding service and wine steward!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointLansingDined on 8/2/2014The McNinch House is our "go to restaurant" for special occasions, so we decided to dine there to celebrate our anniversary. Previous visits have established very high expectations and they certainly didn't disappoint this time. The food was outstanding and creatively presented, the service impeccable and the ambiance delightful. The rack of lamb was amazing and the suggested wine paired perfectly. The filet mignon was very good but not exceptional. Personally, I would recommend the 5 course option. The seven course option was a bit "over the top" and we left feeling slightly uncomfortable, albeit the options were quite tempting and it requires discipline to refrain from going above the 5 course selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experiencekleitch79VIPDined on 8/1/2014I had been waiting quite some time to try McNinch House and was very impressed. Very good food with an excellent vibe. The service is outstanding and it's quite the romantic.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceLowkeydinerDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dinner. The service was by far the best I've experienced in a while. The food was great and they did a nice job of working with the fact my wife is lactose intolerant. Although it is not cheap, their was truly value to every dollar spent.Special Features:
- Best 5-Star dining experience everLuvFoodDined on 8/1/2014While this was one of the most exquisite dining experiences I've had, it never felt pretentious. The atmosphere was quaint and romantic in an historic home surrounded by original fixtures and antique furnishings. Every bit of the 9 course meal was superb. The wine pairings were extremely well chosen and varied. My husband and I left full and happy. We can't wait to visit again.Special Features:
- One of kind experience.SbngDined on 7/30/2014I got everything that I hope for, even more. It was my wife's Bday and we had a great time together which we will remember for years to come. The ambiance and the Victorian style dining rooms sets the tone for the evening. The food was amazing. We had the 5 course meal. The crab and shrimp appetizers were heavenly. Enjoyed every mouth. It was so good, I thought about it even after coming home. The main dish was also good. We took the Lamb dish with a very very delicious risotto and the duck breast. It was a little too sweet for me, but was good. Such romantic place, quiet and the servers never disturbed us and very friendly. We would definitely go back. It is very expensive (230$ for both of us), but it was worth every penny.Special Features:
- Overly ambitious restaurantTrueGourmetDined on 7/26/2014Wanting to be considered as a gourmet restaurant like those in the "big" food renowned cities, such as New York, San Francisco and Montreal, it bites off more than it can chew, excuse the pun. Offering a tasting menu only, but having insufficient choices (5 courses, but with only 7 choices available) does not a gourmet restaurant make! The red wine was too warm and a recommendation to the staff about adjusting the wine cellar temperature was met with a shrug. To their credit they did cool off the wine in a bucket. The food was good, but unexceptional and unimaginative. Service, however, was good if amateurish. If the prices had been lower, this dining experience would have been acceptable.Special Features:
- Special Occasion ExcellenceFoodjunkyDined on 7/23/2014Great food and ambience and the service offered by Wesley and Cole was excellent. Wesley knows his wine pairings and I would highly suggest your taking his advise on wine selections. We enjoyed the five course offering and every thing down to the sorbet was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceTheUnbiasedDined on 7/19/2014I found this gem online when looking for a quiet, elegant place to take my wife for an anniversary. It isn't a cheap option but it's worth every penny. For a throwback fine dining experience to a time when elegance was more prevalent in this country, this is it. A wonderful intimate experience. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and RefreshingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I had dinner and was very impressed with the charm of older home and the elegance of the setting. This was our first time there. I don't know how we have missed this restaurant. The staff was very sharp and accommodating. Everyone of them made a great connection with us and made us feel exceptionally welcomed. It was our first time there, but you would not have know it from the comfort they made us feel. Chef Ellen's food is very tastefully prepared and properly portioned. My wife had the 5 course meal and I had the 7 course. The Sommilier, Wendell, was a special treat. Cory our server could not have been more attentive. I recommend this quiet fine dining to any foodie.Special Features:
- For her Birthday...91JuanDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I had a fabulous dining experience from the point of our arrival (8 pm) to the conclusion of our evening (10:30 pm). The food was very succulent and well presented. The service provided was superb. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to others who are planning to celebrate a very special occasion (birthday, promotion, wedding anniversary, etc.,).Special Features:
- Romantic but pricey & so so serviceEnjoyHighQualityEatingDined on 7/12/2014Celebrated our anniversary. Typically we go to Del Frisco or Ruth Chris but wanted to try something new. The house and atmosphere is very romantic. Somewhat disappointed in portions for the price. I asked for an extra biscuit and was told no. They only make 2 per person - keep in mind that they are the size of a half dollar coin. My wife and I agreed that we may return but not anytime soon. And the service is not great. We had to ask for refills and some help to get the valet for our car.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousNCfoodiesDined on 7/9/2014This was our third visit and it was as great as we remembered. We felt like special guests in a dear friend's home. The staff is very attentive without being overbearing. The menu had a wide range of choices and each dish was presented with great care and pride. The cream of crab soup was rich and delicious. The salmon excellent and the herb crusted rack of lamb the best I've had. It is a truly memorable experience. A wonderful way to spend that very special occasion.Special Features:
- Exceptional dining experienceFredDined on 7/8/2014We celebrated our anniversary at McNinch House. We cannot imagine what might have been done to make our experience more memorable.Special Features:
- Superb establishment.rharDined on 7/5/2014Highly recommend for special occasion. The staff was professional and friendly. Excellent wine selection. Romantic ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.