511 North Church St.
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mcninchhouserestaurant.com/
- Phone: (704) 332-6159
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Only: Tuesday - Saturday evenings
Seatings every 30 minutes from 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental
- Executive Chef: William Parham
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private party accommodations are offered for groups up to 50. We welcome weddings, rehearsal dinners, corporate closing dinners, and medical education dinners, and will be happy to discuss your individual group's needs for private dining.
- Private Party Contact: Corey Cochran 704-332-6159x
A word from McNinch House
For the last 22 years, the ca. 1892 Queen Anne style home of Victorian-era Charlotte Mayor Sam McNinch has served as the McNinch House Restaurant. In this historic Fourth Ward home of chef/owner Ellen Davis, guests can expect to be treated like royalty during their multi-course culinary journey. Featuring Charlotte's most carefully constructed wine list, guests will select their entrees from the chef's choice menu, and professional service staff will take care of the rest. Recognized as Charlotte's Most Romantic Restaurant, The McNinch House Restaurant is the perfect place for your anniversary, birthday, special event, private corporate or executive dining. **ALL RESERVATIONS MUST INCLUDE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS TO CONFIRM**Continued
Dinner Only, Prix Fixe:
+ alcohol, tax, & gratuity (20% standard)
Dinner Only, Prix Fixe:
+ alcohol, tax, & gratuity (20% standard)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
McNinch House - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
McNinch House reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (62)romantic (58)notable wine list (44)fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (5)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Birthday Dinner!SunshineDined on 11/22/2014We enjoyed our first visit to McNinch and look forward to returning. The service was excellent. Everyone was welcoming and friendly. Our food was delicious and the timing was great so that we could enjoy our food, the wine and company. The restaurant/house was adorable! With the Christmas decorations already out it was very charming!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014We loved our night here from the moment we drove in the drive and turned our night over to you. Thank you for such a special time from the both of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50th wedding anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Our evening at McNinch House was superb from beginning to end. The wait staff, ambience, menu and wine pairings were par excellence. Each delectible course was followed by, yet, a more perfect adventure in cuisine. So much to brag about to others. Thank you for the loveliest of anniversary celebrations. The ChurasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceKhipDined on 11/21/2014Took my girlfriend to the Mcninch House for our 2 year anniversary. She had no idea where we were going, and as we drove down Church St she quickly pointed to a house and said oh my look how pretty that is! What she didn't know is that she was looking at our destination. The night overall was a delightful experience, very peaceful, and romantic. Everything that we ate was spectacular and despite the typical small portion size, even with just the 5 course meal we were quite full. Only real downside is the automatic gratuity, and that I could not see the valet sign when we passed so we did have to walk a few min from the parking deck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- madecharlottehomeDined on 11/7/2014What a wonderful way to celebrate a special occasion in this lovely homey atmosphere.Special Features:
- DissapointedKJG33Dined on 11/1/2014I expected more from the food after seeing the rating and reviews. Lamb was poorly prepared, crab cake was bland, soup was too thick. The ambiance was nice but I think it was almost too quiet. The restaurant left me feeling shortchanged. I wouldn't recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014Even every day becomes a special occasion here. The food and service are superb. The setting and ambiance are charming. It is a throwback in time with regard to setting, but food is up to date and delicious. Would definitely go again. It is worth the price.Special Features:
- Excellent Fine Dining ExperienceKensingtonPlazaDined on 10/28/2014I've wanted to go to the McNinch House since I moved to Charlotte 20 years ago. I selected their 4 course menu with wine pairing. I started with the melt-in-your-mouth crab cakes, then the salad with candied bacon on the side. When they brought out the larger than expected filet mignon, I'd expected them to provide a steak knife, but the regular silver knife was all I needed. The tasting of chocolate for dessert was nice, but I would have loved a larger serving. Everything was wonderful. My only complaint is that the 4 different servers initially seemed out of sync. For example, when I ordered he said he would pass this along to the sommelier for the wine pairing; the sommelier then came and asked what I'd ordered for each course.Special Features:
- Top-notchpostoreviewDined on 10/25/2014The food is excellent and the ambiance superb. The dining areas are very classy, with a quiet environment, and the staff is attentive to every detail. I recommend the wine pairing - it's well worth the money to have their sommelier's superb selections for each course. This is a pricey joint but well worth it for a romantic dinner for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McNinch HouseHawkeyeDined on 10/25/2014The best part of our dining experience was the service.Special Features:
- Spectacular dinnerDF311VIPDined on 10/24/2014We visited McNinch house for our wedding anniversary. This was our first visit and it exceeded all of our expectations. The restaurant itself is absolutely lovely, a beautiful Victorian mansion full of details, charm, and fireplaces. The service was exceptional and on top of all that, the food was spectacular. This is a fabulous place for a very special night out Charlotte. And if you arrive early enough, you can choose a table next to a window with a view of the Charlotte skyline. Thank you McNinch House!Special Features:
- Special PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Returned to the MacNinch House after 20 plus years. Atmosphere, ambiance, service - all excellent. I don't think the food selection and preparation was of the same level. Starters were imaginative, interesting and delicious. Entree offering was somewhat lacing and limited. My wife's salmon was overcooked and dry. My beef filet was satisfactory but blandly presented. Wine pairings and service were excellent. Perhaps with all the other great restaurants in Charlotte, MacNinch House needs to up their game in the kitchen, particularly for the price.Special Features:
- comfortable chairsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014First let me say this was a very romantic atmosphere and I get the whole old furniture adding ambiance thing, but If the meal is going to be dragged out for about 2:30-3 hours, I'd sincerely recommend more comfortable chairs. My back and bottom were going numb before the main entrée had arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HistoricRomanticDined on 10/11/2014The McNinch house is filled with rich Charlotte history. The atmosphere is very subdued but has plenty to offer with its nice romantic ambiance. The service is impeccable and the food is great. It is pricey but worth it on a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely terrific!rag1124VIPDined on 10/10/2014First time there and I could not have been more pleased. The food was beyond outstanding .. The wine list very we'll put together. The service was excellent and without out doubt, one of the top two restaurants in Charlotte!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying hardCGTracyDined on 10/9/2014A really beautiful spot. Lamb was excellent. Service surprisingly a bit inattentive for a destination spot for fine dining and romance. I was worth a business associate and maybe that was the difference? My guests salmon dish was promising but served well done..... No one checked on our meal after being served. Desert cheesecake bland.Special Features:
- A Charlotte Dining Gem842festDined on 10/1/2014I can't say enough about the wonderful evening my wife & I experienced at the McNinch House Restaurant in Charlotte. From the friendly, well versed top-notch staff, to the absolutely fabulous dinner, matched only by the romantic setting of a Victorian era interior space with deep colors & rich woodwork. The food here is largely Southern. The wine program has won major awards from the two top wine magazines & is very extensive. The staff are expert in helping to navigate the list or provide a variety of wine pairings with your meal. Dinner is fixed-price with several course offerings. For a truly memorable evening, please check out the McNinch House-you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2014Great service from Valet on arrival. Wait staff very attentive. Quality of food was very good both from a presentation and a taste perspective. Wine pairings not as strong as I was expecting but ok nevertheless. Will return for special occasions but otherwise too pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in Charlotte.asbranVIPDined on 9/27/2014This is most definitely the best meal we have had since moving here 2 years ago. It is very quiet very romantic. The vibe sorta calms you and makes you want to reminisce on back in the day type convo. It's a very old Victorian home with lots of charm and history. You kinda feel like your at a rich old aunts house. The service is topnotch and the food.......I don't even know where to begin. Every bite we put in our mouths took our taste buds to a whole new level. Can't wait to go back, it truly is an experience. A true Charlotte gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Spot!DMackDiningOutDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I went for our 15 year anniversary... everything was simply great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fine Dining in CharlotteMDFoodieinNCVIPDined on 9/19/2014McNinch House is the best foodie experience I've had in Charlotte - and I've been to a LOT of fine restaurants in Charlotte. We were celebrating our anniversary and were seated in the best seat in the restored Victorian home - the 2 person table in the nook of the front dining room. We chose the 5-course prix-fixe menu. The meal started with an amuse-bouche (first place in Charlotte that has offered an amuse-bouche). Everything from the presentation to the portion to the combination of flavors is intentional and delightful. Dinner lasted 2 1/2 hours and we never felt rushed. I would absolutely return for special occasions!Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014We've always loved McNinch House and it never disappoints. It's been 10 years since our last visit and it still has it's wonderful charm. I have always recommended McNinch to our clients and many have dinned there over the years.Special Features:
- AmazingfoodnerdDined on 9/18/2014The food was elegant, straightforward and fantastically prepared. I couldn't have asked for duck that was more tender and flavorful. The wine pairings for the menu were wonderful choices. Wesley (the sommelier) made excellent, if non-traditional, choices for the menu that were incredible complements to each of the courses. It was not just a meal, it was a full evening culinary adventure.Special Features:
- McNinch HousekitkatDined on 9/18/2014This restaurant is in an old refurbished house with plenty of history. I loved the different chairs and table settings throughout. The service was excellent as well as the food. Our dinner took 2 1/2 hours. It was truly a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014One of the most Romantic lovely restaurants I have enjoyed in Charlotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014We celebrated our first anniversary here and it was absolutely perfect. It was a one of a kind experience and we had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTiffanyDined on 9/12/2014This use to be my go to place for special occasions and place to take out of town guest. At my last visit, the service was no where near the level it use to be - server walked away in the middle of open our bootle of wine, another server drop silverware on my lap. We had a party of 3 - they took a table for two moved it to the edge of the room and added a 3rd chair - felt like we were sitting in the middle of the hall. The prices are also much higher than my last visit - our tab for 3 was almost $500. They also now include gratuity in the bill - which typically results in lower levels of service. Food was good, but nothing spectacular, it has always been the service and experience that brought me back - but not after the last visit.Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful placeDoctorDrayDined on 9/9/2014This restaurant is an absolute gem. This was a first visit here for my wife and I. She was quite delighted with the ambiance and initimate setting - an old Victorian house with interesting decorations - perfect for a romantic evening and quiet conversation. You won't find another restaurant quite like it. The food was excellent and the proportions were fitting. Wesley, the wine steward, had perfect wine pairings, giving my wife and I different wines for our entrées. The prix fixe menu is a little on the high side but I don't mind paying extra if the food is excellent and the service top notch. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a romantic date or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic RestaurantenelramDined on 9/5/2014McNinch House is a special restaurant....warm, inviting, comfortable, beautiful, lovely ambiance. Food is outstanding, delicately prepared & presented. All personnel are professional, courteous, knowledgeable & helpful. McNinch House is a truly remarkable treasure for Charlotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Very special place. Super romantic. Exquisite food. Professional staff. Very private fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mcninch HousediningfineDined on 9/3/2014The house is beautiful and a Great 1 time experience.Special Features:
- Must ExperienceenontwosomeDined on 8/28/2014We had the chef's tasting & wine pairings. It was terrific but take your credit card. It's our yearly outing to a 5 star!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best in. HarlotteH3is4HVIPDined on 8/22/2014The personal service, amazing food and beautifully decorated house make this the best intimate date in Charlotte.Special Features:
- MemorableKenTarHeelDined on 8/20/2014We had waited a long time to visit the McNinch House and we were not disappointed. From the valet parking through outstanding service to the delicious food, to a rose for my wife as we departed, it was a terrific experience. Two menu items that were particularly outstanding were the she-crab soup and the steamed chocolate cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and ambiance.TwiceIn9YearsDined on 8/19/2014Awesome food and ambience. Very quiet experience. Service was a little disjointed - Less fluid than our previous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing MealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/14/2014The McNinch House is an experience. It'sin a beautiful turn of the century home that is ornately furnished and appointed so it can be very romantic. The food is excellent and the service attentive. But if you're getting the 5 choice special vs the 7 or 10 be prepared to wait awhile between your choices. The exception to this could be occasions when they're not busy or when everyone in the restaurant opts for the 5 pack, but logic says if you have a small kitchen, small staff and lots of servings to get out the the ones with the fewer choices will wait while the others are being served. It's well worth it, but just be prepared.Special Features:
- Finally...good food in Charlotteluv2dineDined on 8/14/2014The entire dining experience was wonderful from the cocktails on the front porch swing to the cheese plate for dessert. Wait staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. Our meals (all 4) were delicious! Wine parings were great. Atmosphere is lovely. Easy to talk with others. The restaurant was full yet it seemed we were the only ones there. The food was fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014Outstanding meal and outstanding service and wine steward!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointLansingDined on 8/2/2014The McNinch House is our "go to restaurant" for special occasions, so we decided to dine there to celebrate our anniversary. Previous visits have established very high expectations and they certainly didn't disappoint this time. The food was outstanding and creatively presented, the service impeccable and the ambiance delightful. The rack of lamb was amazing and the suggested wine paired perfectly. The filet mignon was very good but not exceptional. Personally, I would recommend the 5 course option. The seven course option was a bit "over the top" and we left feeling slightly uncomfortable, albeit the options were quite tempting and it requires discipline to refrain from going above the 5 course selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experiencekleitch79VIPDined on 8/1/2014I had been waiting quite some time to try McNinch House and was very impressed. Very good food with an excellent vibe. The service is outstanding and it's quite the romantic.Special Features: