511 North Church St.
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mcninchhouserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7043326159x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Only: Tuesday - Saturday evenings
Seatings every 30 minutes from 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental
- Executive Chef: William Parham
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private party accommodations are offered for groups up to 50. We welcome weddings, rehearsal dinners, corporate closing dinners, and medical education dinners, and will be happy to discuss your individual group's needs for private dining.
- Private Party Contact: Corey Cochran 704-332-6159x
A word from McNinch House
For the last 22 years, the ca. 1892 Queen Anne style home of Victorian-era Charlotte Mayor Sam McNinch has served as the McNinch House Restaurant. In this historic Fourth Ward home of chef/owner Ellen Davis, guests can expect to be treated like royalty during their multi-course culinary journey. Featuring Charlotte's most carefully constructed wine list, guests will select their entrees from the chef's choice menu, and professional service staff will take care of the rest. Recognized as Charlotte's Most Romantic Restaurant, The McNinch House Restaurant is the perfect place for your anniversary, birthday, special event, private corporate or executive dining. **ALL RESERVATIONS MUST INCLUDE A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS TO CONFIRM**Continued
Dinner Only, Prix Fixe:
+ alcohol, tax, & gratuity (20% standard)
Dinner Only, Prix Fixe:
+ alcohol, tax, & gratuity (20% standard)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
McNinch House - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
McNinch House reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (59)romantic (58)notable wine list (32)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (13)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Must ExperienceenontwosomeDined on 8/28/2014We had the chef's tasting & wine pairings. It was terrific but take your credit card. It's our yearly outing to a 5 star!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best in. HarlotteH3is4HVIPDined on 8/22/2014The personal service, amazing food and beautifully decorated house make this the best intimate date in Charlotte.Special Features:
- MemorableKenTarHeelDined on 8/20/2014We had waited a long time to visit the McNinch House and we were not disappointed. From the valet parking through outstanding service to the delicious food, to a rose for my wife as we departed, it was a terrific experience. Two menu items that were particularly outstanding were the she-crab soup and the steamed chocolate cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and ambiance.TwiceIn9YearsDined on 8/19/2014Awesome food and ambience. Very quiet experience. Service was a little disjointed - Less fluid than our previous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing MealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/14/2014The McNinch House is an experience. It'sin a beautiful turn of the century home that is ornately furnished and appointed so it can be very romantic. The food is excellent and the service attentive. But if you're getting the 5 choice special vs the 7 or 10 be prepared to wait awhile between your choices. The exception to this could be occasions when they're not busy or when everyone in the restaurant opts for the 5 pack, but logic says if you have a small kitchen, small staff and lots of servings to get out the the ones with the fewer choices will wait while the others are being served. It's well worth it, but just be prepared.Special Features:
- Finally...good food in Charlotteluv2dineDined on 8/14/2014The entire dining experience was wonderful from the cocktails on the front porch swing to the cheese plate for dessert. Wait staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. Our meals (all 4) were delicious! Wine parings were great. Atmosphere is lovely. Easy to talk with others. The restaurant was full yet it seemed we were the only ones there. The food was fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014Outstanding meal and outstanding service and wine steward!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappointLansingDined on 8/2/2014The McNinch House is our "go to restaurant" for special occasions, so we decided to dine there to celebrate our anniversary. Previous visits have established very high expectations and they certainly didn't disappoint this time. The food was outstanding and creatively presented, the service impeccable and the ambiance delightful. The rack of lamb was amazing and the suggested wine paired perfectly. The filet mignon was very good but not exceptional. Personally, I would recommend the 5 course option. The seven course option was a bit "over the top" and we left feeling slightly uncomfortable, albeit the options were quite tempting and it requires discipline to refrain from going above the 5 course selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experiencekleitch79VIPDined on 8/1/2014I had been waiting quite some time to try McNinch House and was very impressed. Very good food with an excellent vibe. The service is outstanding and it's quite the romantic.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceLowkeydinerDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dinner. The service was by far the best I've experienced in a while. The food was great and they did a nice job of working with the fact my wife is lactose intolerant. Although it is not cheap, their was truly value to every dollar spent.Special Features:
- Best 5-Star dining experience everLuvFoodDined on 8/1/2014While this was one of the most exquisite dining experiences I've had, it never felt pretentious. The atmosphere was quaint and romantic in an historic home surrounded by original fixtures and antique furnishings. Every bit of the 9 course meal was superb. The wine pairings were extremely well chosen and varied. My husband and I left full and happy. We can't wait to visit again.Special Features:
- One of kind experience.SbngDined on 7/30/2014I got everything that I hope for, even more. It was my wife's Bday and we had a great time together which we will remember for years to come. The ambiance and the Victorian style dining rooms sets the tone for the evening. The food was amazing. We had the 5 course meal. The crab and shrimp appetizers were heavenly. Enjoyed every mouth. It was so good, I thought about it even after coming home. The main dish was also good. We took the Lamb dish with a very very delicious risotto and the duck breast. It was a little too sweet for me, but was good. Such romantic place, quiet and the servers never disturbed us and very friendly. We would definitely go back. It is very expensive (230$ for both of us), but it was worth every penny.Special Features:
- Overly ambitious restaurantTrueGourmetDined on 7/26/2014Wanting to be considered as a gourmet restaurant like those in the "big" food renowned cities, such as New York, San Francisco and Montreal, it bites off more than it can chew, excuse the pun. Offering a tasting menu only, but having insufficient choices (5 courses, but with only 7 choices available) does not a gourmet restaurant make! The red wine was too warm and a recommendation to the staff about adjusting the wine cellar temperature was met with a shrug. To their credit they did cool off the wine in a bucket. The food was good, but unexceptional and unimaginative. Service, however, was good if amateurish. If the prices had been lower, this dining experience would have been acceptable.Special Features:
- Special Occasion ExcellenceFoodjunkyDined on 7/23/2014Great food and ambience and the service offered by Wesley and Cole was excellent. Wesley knows his wine pairings and I would highly suggest your taking his advise on wine selections. We enjoyed the five course offering and every thing down to the sorbet was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceTheUnbiasedDined on 7/19/2014I found this gem online when looking for a quiet, elegant place to take my wife for an anniversary. It isn't a cheap option but it's worth every penny. For a throwback fine dining experience to a time when elegance was more prevalent in this country, this is it. A wonderful intimate experience. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and RefreshingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I had dinner and was very impressed with the charm of older home and the elegance of the setting. This was our first time there. I don't know how we have missed this restaurant. The staff was very sharp and accommodating. Everyone of them made a great connection with us and made us feel exceptionally welcomed. It was our first time there, but you would not have know it from the comfort they made us feel. Chef Ellen's food is very tastefully prepared and properly portioned. My wife had the 5 course meal and I had the 7 course. The Sommilier, Wendell, was a special treat. Cory our server could not have been more attentive. I recommend this quiet fine dining to any foodie.Special Features:
- For her Birthday...91JuanDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I had a fabulous dining experience from the point of our arrival (8 pm) to the conclusion of our evening (10:30 pm). The food was very succulent and well presented. The service provided was superb. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to others who are planning to celebrate a very special occasion (birthday, promotion, wedding anniversary, etc.,).Special Features:
- Romantic but pricey & so so serviceEnjoyHighQualityEatingDined on 7/12/2014Celebrated our anniversary. Typically we go to Del Frisco or Ruth Chris but wanted to try something new. The house and atmosphere is very romantic. Somewhat disappointed in portions for the price. I asked for an extra biscuit and was told no. They only make 2 per person - keep in mind that they are the size of a half dollar coin. My wife and I agreed that we may return but not anytime soon. And the service is not great. We had to ask for refills and some help to get the valet for our car.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousNCfoodiesDined on 7/9/2014This was our third visit and it was as great as we remembered. We felt like special guests in a dear friend's home. The staff is very attentive without being overbearing. The menu had a wide range of choices and each dish was presented with great care and pride. The cream of crab soup was rich and delicious. The salmon excellent and the herb crusted rack of lamb the best I've had. It is a truly memorable experience. A wonderful way to spend that very special occasion.Special Features:
- Exceptional dining experienceFredDined on 7/8/2014We celebrated our anniversary at McNinch House. We cannot imagine what might have been done to make our experience more memorable.Special Features:
- Superb establishment.rharDined on 7/5/2014Highly recommend for special occasion. The staff was professional and friendly. Excellent wine selection. Romantic ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fine Dining in Charlotte!LovelyDined on 7/5/2014Impeccable food, service and atmosphere! Definitely an anniversary spot!Special Features:
- Ultimate dining experience.ABientotDined on 7/3/2014This is a restaurant that steps back in time to an era of dining elegance. It is set in a beautiful old home in uptown Charlotte!! The service and food were impeccable. If you want a very romantic and intimate setting this is ideal. This is the best restaurant we have been to in the Charlotte area. Tres chic!Special Features:
- Very specialMaiLi45VIPDined on 7/1/2014Beautiful home, excellent service. Definitely for special occasions!Special Features:
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014Perfect setting, service, and food for a quaint, special occasion. A must try!Special Features:
- WhitelinendiningDined on 6/14/2014Elegant dining which you don't see a lot of! Personal service and no pressure dining. Nice to sit and talk and enjoy fine wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticBugsmomDined on 6/13/2014What an experience! The chef's tasting and wine pairing was one of the best dinners I have had. What a way to celebrate our 10 yr anniversary. Every bit was so flavorful and the wine just added to the experience. THANK YOUSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!PersnicketydinerVIPDined on 6/6/2014Great menu, great service, great wine pairing. The host/server and support staff were all very competent and welcoming.Special Features:
- My parents anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/6/2014They loved it! What a great way to celebrate their anniversary. Everything from the staff to the chinaSpecial Features:
- FantasticHmh301Dined on 6/3/2014I can't say enough nice things about Mcninch House. Truly a special dining experience. Superior flavors in every dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EveningncfryDined on 6/3/2014Could not have more satisfied than our evening. The setting, service and the food was top notch. Everyone went out of their way to make the evening very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/28/2014Excellent food, atmosphere and service. We were there on a Wednesday and were the only ones there, which is a shame. Perhaps because it was Memorial week?Special Features:
- NoiseRabbit333Dined on 5/22/2014They should turn up the music. Too quiet. You have to whisper so next table is not part of your conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary CelebrationBigDaddyDined on 5/15/2014My wife and I dined at the McNinch House to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. It was a beautiful place to celebrate such a memorable event. We went on Thursday evening which was a great night to go, as there were very few people dining with us. It was as if we had the place to ourselves. The Food was great, but the service was even better. I highly recommend the McNinch house for special celebrations.Special Features:
- A excellent culinary experience!mcarlt2Dined on 5/9/2014Everything about this dinner was wonderful. The house is beaufully restored and makes a great atmosphere. The antiques and collectibles are beautiful. The staff is very attentive and accommodating. The food is absolutely delicious - you cannot go wrong with anything on the menu. The ingredients in every dish are perfect and so flavorful on the palate. We really enjoyed talking to Mr Wesley, the Sommelier. We chose the Trilogy with the 5 course dinner, and he served the perfect wines for each course. We could not have asked for more. Perfect for a special occasion. Thanks!Special Features:
- Wine pairing was well worth itHollyDined on 5/9/2014We had the 7 course dinner. Portion was small enough for me to enjoy each one of them (mostly, only able to take a small bite of dessert at the end). The lamb and duck were cooked to perfection, with the wine pairing it was divine! I was very much impressed by the pairing. Of course the check at the end was impressive, too. But reading others' review here prepared me for it, along with the included 20% gratuity. Overall a worthwell experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 283 reviews are from the McNinch House reviews archive.
- excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014My husband and I enjoyed a lovely evening at the McNinch house. The service was excellent. The dinner offers patrons an experience not just a meal. We are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EveningStarrlingDined on 4/26/2014We are still dreaming about the excellent food and wine pairings! Fabulous dining experience!!Special Features:
- A night to remember and morePatrichneroDined on 4/26/2014We had an early reservation that gave us the chance to walk around the house and check all the details. We were greeted by Ellen; she was wearing a beautiful purple jacket and a great smile. We then selected our table and sat by the window looking over the garden. The sommelier, Wesley, took the time to know us and was able to match me perfectly. The food was light and flavorful. We were able to have a wonderful conversation and at no time we felt rushed. Corey moved around us with ease and let the evening flow. The finish was for me the best. The chocolate selection with the port was tantalizing and completed the whole journey. We are coming back… Next time, I’ll skip the cocktail; it did not contribute much to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMrPotatoDined on 4/23/2014I took my wife here for her birthday and every part of it was great. We had very friendly and attentive service and the food was great. I definitely want to go back. One of the more romantic meals I've ever had in Charlotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.