McLoone's Boat House
9 Cherry Lane
West Orange, NJ 07052Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McLoone's Boat House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mcloonesboathouse.com/
- Phone: 8622527108x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef- Jimmy Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater to business meeting, showers, birthdays, and wedding celebrations. With three different size private spaces and a variety of different menus, we can accommodate a wide variety of functions!
- Private Party Facilities: Located within the South Mountain Recreation Complex, McLoone's Boathouse sits on the banks of the reservoir, showcasing spectacular views to our customers. Keeping with the tradition of Tim McLoone's other locations, the menu offers American cuisine that appeals to the entire family.
- Private Party Contact: Victoria Desantisfirstname.lastname@example.org 8622527108x
- Entertainment: Entertainment every Friday and Saturday night at 9pm.
- Special Events: Oktoberfest at Mcloones Boathouse
Sunday, October 27, 2013
For tickets, please click the link below:
A word from McLoone's Boat House
Located within the South Mountain Recreation Complex, McLoone's Boathouse sits on the banks of the reservoir, showcasing spectacular views to our customers. McLoone's Boathouse features seating for 240 inside, with an additional 80 to 100 outside (FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS ONLY),as well as semi-private dining area that is perfect to host your next party, corporate function or other special event.Continued
Please know that reservations will only guarntee inside seating in our main dining rooms and does not include outside dining.
Please know that reservations will only guarntee inside seating in our main dining rooms and does not include outside dining.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
McLoone's Boat House - Best Restaurants in West Orange ›
McLoone's Boat House reviews from OpenTable diners
237 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (176)great for outdoor dining (156)good for groups (88)special occasion (79)great for lunch (57)kid-friendly (57)romantic (52)neighborhood gem (45)vibrant bar scene (41)great for brunch (38)hot spot (28)fit for foodies (27)late-night find (22)notable wine list (19)Show More
- Great SpaceHPeraltaDined on 9/13/2014The space its self is great and has a rustic feel about it. The food unfortunately is what I expect to find and a Hoolihans. Appetizers felt they like they came out of a mass produced freezer app you would by at he supermarket. MY GF and I both had the skirt steak which was over cooked and drenched in some sauce. My first steak was over done so I sent it back to get it cooked at the correct temp, while my GF just turned it back all together. Hoping that my second steak would be better I dug in only to find it very thrown together and very little thought to the seasoning. All together 3 meals sent back but I did enjoy the atmosphere and the waiter was very apologetic. I would probably only go back for brunch since I've heard great things.Special Features:
- DinnerrobinDined on 9/13/2014I am a pretty regular customer but this evening we brought people that had never been there before. The food was very average and my dish was awful. I had to send back because the chicken was like leather. They never brought our friend's iced tea and when I asked to have my second salad wrapped up they never brought it out to me.Special Features:
- Great for children who are foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014The restaurant is quite large - not boathouse sized - but with lovely decor. Service was good but there was no bread on the table and we were all hungry. Entrees were very good. Children's menu had vegetables and great presentation. The noise level was very high so conversation at a table for six was difficult. I have recommended the restaurant to other grandparents who want to spend a day with their families at the paddle boats or zoo and like to sit down with their families for a special meal.Special Features:
- McLoone'sJeffCuretonDined on 9/9/2014We decided to eat here for our anniversary since it is so close to our house. We had a lovely experience. Waitstaff was very kind and we had more than one person congratulate us on our special day. My wife's steak was overcooked, but they took it back and, in addition to immediately bringing out a new steak that was perfect, brought us to glasses of champagne on the house to celebrate. We have been here before and the kitchen always delivered great food, so we knew it was a fluke. Usually the service is slow, but they were right on top of our needs tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014I felt like I was at a Red Lobster! The food was from freezer to fryer, service was ok - when the bill arrived at the table, you would have thought that we had dined at The Highlawn. Very disappointing for such a beautiful location.Special Features:
- My experienceJazmineVIPDined on 9/6/2014Overall, this is a great place! We were a party of six, we sat outside and it was very nice, great service and good food, the view was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Great place to eat outside, great setting and view. Bar area outside is also pretty cool. Inside is way too noisy, you can barely have a conversation with the person sitting next to you. Food is not great, stick with the burger.Special Features:
- Nice relaxing viewRecentDinnerDined on 9/1/2014We had a nice relaxing view of the water. The food and service were acceptable. They did have some fine bread served warm with a great texture that we enjoyed. Although there was a nice view of the lake the food and drinks were very much on the expensive side.Special Features:
- Nice room, ordinary foodDishappointedDined on 8/30/2014The place is very impressive. Quite beautiful, really, which raises expectations about the meal. The service was appropriately low-key and friendly. The meal, however, disappoints. The menu reads well, but the food was bland. Portions are ample, but the flavors were timid. This was particularly egregious given the prices, which were high. The Dijon Chicken lacked flavor, even salt and pepper would help. The sauce was too sweet and totally lacking in mustardy zing.Special Features:
- Casual and Relaxed DininglivetoeatDined on 8/28/2014Great neighborhood spot to grab a drink and take in the sunshine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014I had a surprise dinner here for someone's birthday and the staff was amazing! Loved the food and the vibe of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another lovely outdoor lunchSECB18VIPDined on 8/27/2014This is our second time dining here. Another lovely view eating on the patio. Great server who was warm and prompt with service and food. The CA wrap was delicious and my husband thoroughly enjoyed his Buffalo Chicken salad (a very nice sized salad). Enjoyed a nice glass of wine while talking with our son about his fun morning at the Turtle Back Zoo. We'll definitely be back- would love to try for dinner in the fall when we can sit near the fire pits on their huge wrap around deck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHopeforbetter7Dined on 8/25/2014While the venue is nice and the service good, the food was very disappointing. The salad was soggy, the chicken over cooked and there was a fruit fly problem at our table for the duration of the meal.Special Features:
- foodcuds984Dined on 8/25/2014We have been to McLoone's a few times...only go during the summer months when you can sit out because there aren't that many places around with such a nice view for dining outside. The bus boy only brought out 3 of the 4 dinners ordered .....manager apologized ....took all dinners back while we waited for all to come out at the same time. Brought them back....potatoes were cold....dinner was not so good. The waiter tried hard to make it up to us...not his fault...Special Features:
- Missed the mark this time.cinnjDined on 8/24/2014This is usually a great dinner spot. However my skirt steak was terrible on this evening. Will never order that item here again. The other plates at the table were fine. This was very disappointing; but we'll go back. We have had many good meals here. Still recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four Strikes.Simplysteno25Dined on 8/24/2014My mother recently took our small family of five to McLoones for my birthday. We made a reservation on Opentable that said "outside, weather permitting and birthday." We got there, hostess was VERY rude and told us we would have to wait 30 minutes for outside seating. Strike one. We order a dozen clams for the table. They give us one lemon to share, and one fork. Strike two, nobody likes a communal lemon. Then the bread comes, four slices. We have five people. We order more, they take away our plates. Strike three. My brother's girlfriend ordered the tuna. She gets it and the manager comes over and says she is sorry about it. Huh? No clarification. Strike four. Meh food, terrible service, and very rude. Not recommending ever.
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Quite a few negative reviews so was hesitant to try but had to give it a shot given the setting. We went for lunch on a Saturday. There was no issue with service as the were very attentive. The food is a bit overpriced but once you consider the setting it is a pretty good deal. Take your pick...food not living up to the price...or price too much for the food. Food was good...enjoyed the sandwiches and buffalo chicken wontons. Wish it could be more of a regular place to go to...however, especially when it is colder out, there are too many other places with better value. I will not be rushing back due to the price but will definitely frequent the establishment in the future. Be sure to do the walk around the lake after or before.Special Features:
- Date NightTrinaDined on 8/22/2014The food was delicious. I had skirt steak and it was cooked to perfection...I ate every bit. My husband had Cajun swordfish and it was great also. We will be returning .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fine, service spottyPortiaVIPDined on 8/22/2014On a Friday night in August, when the restaurant remained half empty all night, one would expect one's first choice of dining time, but we were shoved into a less desirable slot. The server was unknowledgeable about the menu options. One had to beg for replacement silverware. That said, the food was tasty and properly prepared. Not fit for foodies but a nice local choiceSpecial Features:
- Pricey but prettyDanaBDined on 8/21/2014Ambience was great, loud inside tho with live music. The food needs some help...for the price I paid for sea bass it should be singing with flavor. It was bland and the sticky rice description was a complete understatement. I couldn't even eat it. I'll give it one more try but that's it. I don't appreciate being asked to pay those prices on food just to pay for their decor and ambience.Special Features:
- Ruined a BirthdayRuinedbirthdayDined on 8/20/2014The appetizers came out quickly then the entrees took about a hour and a half ... The food was terrible and, cold and they wouldnt give us saffron rice after our mash potatoes came out cold and lumpy . We sent back 2 plates and the birthday girl left hungry. We didn't even sing happy birthday we just want the experience to be overSpecial Features:
- Awesome restaurant!TOGA19Dined on 8/20/2014We were seated outdoors immediately. Great table, great view, great ambiance. Our server, Brian, was OUTSTANDING! Very attentive, very personable. Will definitely be returning. Tuna, salmon, honey chicken were great. Very generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took our Teenage GrandkidsibkrimDined on 8/19/2014We sat outside and had such an enjoyable dinner facing the West Orange Reservoir. Our server Tom went out of his way to provide fab service and recommendations. I split the stuffed lobster with my granddaughter and it was delightful. We love the lunches here as well and have frequented the restaurant several times this summer to sit by the waterside and have a great lunch and view. Don't miss the wing appetizer and edamame.Special Features:
- Gorgeous but service needs helpfluff71Dined on 8/16/2014Took almost hour for our meal. Waitress apologized and said Manager was coming but they never did.... overall not worth the wait. I'd stick to the bar.Special Features:
- Good Food, Bad ServiceDougLDined on 8/16/2014Food was excellent, the service was very slow. The back room, even thought not filled, was a very noisy room.Special Features:
- GoodNickster453VIPDined on 8/15/2014Love this place Everything about it was great. Service and food was extremely good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timerpatticakeDined on 8/14/2014Everything was wonderful ftom the moment we entered. Lovely Hostess....great seating arrangements. ...delicious food. Our server was Willis. He was very attentive and accommodating. The only negative was our lunch took a little too long to come out. We were on a lunch break from our office across the street. When brought to our servers attention. ..he inquired and we were served almost immediately. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, so so foodlove2dineoutDined on 8/11/2014McLoone's in West Orange is a beautiful building with a beautiful view of the South Mountain Reservoir. Our server Kathy was a fantastic waitress. However, the food was nothing to write home about. Our party of five expected much more, especially for the prices. Probably best as a place to go for drinks and appetizers, not dinner.Special Features:
- A good experience but...UninspiredVIPDined on 8/9/2014Very pleasant evening and the dinner was generally good, however a few misses on: the estimated wait time for an outside table - turned out to be 40 mins not 20 - 30 as told; "colossal" shrimp cocktail is actually "small to medium" size shrimp cocktail (one had to be de-veined); and sevrice is always on the slower side here.
- Worth a rideHal66Dined on 8/9/2014This was not our first visit to McCloon's. It is a two hour ride from where we live and it was the first place we thought of to meet friends that were an hour in the other direction. That is how good this place is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud and confused staffSirmegDined on 8/8/2014The view is beautiful, if you are lucky enough to be seated outdoors. The dining room is extremely loud, the food is mediocre and the servers are not fully trained. Make sure you mention that you made the reservations through Open Table or they will consider your party as a no show.Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 8/8/2014Had a very enjoyable lunch with two of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJmkmDined on 8/7/2014We had a wonderful dinner with great service and a beautiful view. Would recommend dinning here for sure.Special Features:
- Great location mediocre foodEssexCountyEatsVIPDined on 8/6/2014Sitting outside in a summer evening is heaven here. I just wish the food and service was better. I would come more often if it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceBarbDined on 8/1/2014We went here because my son was in a performance at Paper Mill Playhouse. We saw mixed reviews but all wanted to try it. We all really enjoyed the good, service was great and beautiful scenery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerGaryBodeDined on 7/31/2014The swordfish and salmon were good. The waitress wasn't all that friendly. In the beginning, she was a bit rude because we were at a table she claimed was just for dinner, though there was no sign. We ordered an app, then dinner shortly afterwards. The McLoons in Sea Bright seemed a bit fancier.Special Features:
- Great TimefoodieDined on 7/29/2014We had a group birthday party (8 ppl) - we were seated immediately and received very attentive service! Had a great time!Special Features:
- Really good except . . .LovegoodfoodDined on 7/27/2014Dinner (Sunday) could have been a much nicer experience if not for the noise level. A little correction in the acoustics and I might be giving 5 stars in the future!Special Features:
- Lovely DinnerJLibDined on 7/26/2014Food & atmosphere were excellent. The staff was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK food, great location, kids tooChiprooney100Dined on 7/26/2014Came on a Saturday for a birthday lunch at 1pm. I assume because of the restaurants proximity to the Turtle Back Zoo, this restaurant has many more kids than I would expect for this type of place. Food was decent. Large portions for the sandwiches, quality was average or slightly above. Service was very slow... we had to ask for a server to come to our table after sitting for 10 minutes without being greeted. We also had to ask for our dessert to be served which we had brought with us, and were charged a $1.50 cake cutting fee each for 5 people. Kinda ridiculous. I would not return on my own accord, but if someone else if footing the bill for average food and poor service, I'll be there.Special Features: