McLoone's Boat House
9 Cherry Lane
West Orange, NJ 07052Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McLoone's Boat House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mcloonesboathouse.com/
- Phone: 8622527108x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef- Jimmy Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater to business meeting, showers, birthdays, and wedding celebrations. With three different size private spaces and a variety of different menus, we can accommodate a wide variety of functions!
- Private Party Facilities: Located within the South Mountain Recreation Complex, McLoone's Boathouse sits on the banks of the reservoir, showcasing spectacular views to our customers. Keeping with the tradition of Tim McLoone's other locations, the menu offers American cuisine that appeals to the entire family.
- Private Party Contact: Victoria Desantisfirstname.lastname@example.org 8622527108x
- Entertainment: Entertainment every Friday and Saturday night at 9pm.
- Special Events: Oktoberfest at Mcloones Boathouse
Sunday, October 27, 2013
For tickets, please click the link below:
A word from McLoone's Boat House
Located within the South Mountain Recreation Complex, McLoone's Boathouse sits on the banks of the reservoir, showcasing spectacular views to our customers. McLoone's Boathouse features seating for 240 inside, with an additional 80 to 100 outside (FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS ONLY),as well as semi-private dining area that is perfect to host your next party, corporate function or other special event.Continued
Please know that reservations will only guarntee inside seating in our main dining rooms and does not include outside dining.
Please know that reservations will only guarntee inside seating in our main dining rooms and does not include outside dining.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
McLoone's Boat House - Best Restaurants in West Orange ›
McLoone's Boat House reviews from OpenTable diners
245 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (178)great for outdoor dining (161)good for groups (90)special occasion (84)kid-friendly (58)great for lunch (58)romantic (52)neighborhood gem (44)vibrant bar scene (43)great for brunch (37)fit for foodies (30)hot spot (28)late-night find (21)notable wine list (18)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014I had a surprise dinner here for someone's birthday and the staff was amazing! Loved the food and the vibe of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another lovely outdoor lunchSECB18VIPDined on 8/27/2014This is our second time dining here. Another lovely view eating on the patio. Great server who was warm and prompt with service and food. The CA wrap was delicious and my husband thoroughly enjoyed his Buffalo Chicken salad (a very nice sized salad). Enjoyed a nice glass of wine while talking with our son about his fun morning at the Turtle Back Zoo. We'll definitely be back- would love to try for dinner in the fall when we can sit near the fire pits on their huge wrap around deck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014While the venue is nice and the service good, the food was very disappointing. The salad was soggy, the chicken over cooked and there was a fruit fly problem at our table for the duration of the meal.Special Features:
- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014We have been to McLoone's a few times...only go during the summer months when you can sit out because there aren't that many places around with such a nice view for dining outside. The bus boy only brought out 3 of the 4 dinners ordered .....manager apologized ....took all dinners back while we waited for all to come out at the same time. Brought them back....potatoes were cold....dinner was not so good. The waiter tried hard to make it up to us...not his fault...Special Features:
- Missed the mark this time.cinnjDined on 8/24/2014This is usually a great dinner spot. However my skirt steak was terrible on this evening. Will never order that item here again. The other plates at the table were fine. This was very disappointing; but we'll go back. We have had many good meals here. Still recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four Strikes.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014My mother recently took our small family of five to McLoones for my birthday. We made a reservation on Opentable that said "outside, weather permitting and birthday." We got there, hostess was VERY rude and told us we would have to wait 30 minutes for outside seating. Strike one. We order a dozen clams for the table. They give us one lemon to share, and one fork. Strike two, nobody likes a communal lemon. Then the bread comes, four slices. We have five people. We order more, they take away our plates. Strike three. My brother's girlfriend ordered the tuna. She gets it and the manager comes over and says she is sorry about it. Huh? No clarification. Strike four. Meh food, terrible service, and very rude. Not recommending ever.
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Quite a few negative reviews so was hesitant to try but had to give it a shot given the setting. We went for lunch on a Saturday. There was no issue with service as the were very attentive. The food is a bit overpriced but once you consider the setting it is a pretty good deal. Take your pick...food not living up to the price...or price too much for the food. Food was good...enjoyed the sandwiches and buffalo chicken wontons. Wish it could be more of a regular place to go to...however, especially when it is colder out, there are too many other places with better value. I will not be rushing back due to the price but will definitely frequent the establishment in the future. Be sure to do the walk around the lake after or before.Special Features:
- Date NightTrinaDined on 8/22/2014The food was delicious. I had skirt steak and it was cooked to perfection...I ate every bit. My husband had Cajun swordfish and it was great also. We will be returning .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fine, service spottyPortiaVIPDined on 8/22/2014On a Friday night in August, when the restaurant remained half empty all night, one would expect one's first choice of dining time, but we were shoved into a less desirable slot. The server was unknowledgeable about the menu options. One had to beg for replacement silverware. That said, the food was tasty and properly prepared. Not fit for foodies but a nice local choiceSpecial Features:
- Pricey but prettyDanaBDined on 8/21/2014Ambience was great, loud inside tho with live music. The food needs some help...for the price I paid for sea bass it should be singing with flavor. It was bland and the sticky rice description was a complete understatement. I couldn't even eat it. I'll give it one more try but that's it. I don't appreciate being asked to pay those prices on food just to pay for their decor and ambience.Special Features:
- Ruined a BirthdayRuinedbirthdayDined on 8/20/2014The appetizers came out quickly then the entrees took about a hour and a half ... The food was terrible and, cold and they wouldnt give us saffron rice after our mash potatoes came out cold and lumpy . We sent back 2 plates and the birthday girl left hungry. We didn't even sing happy birthday we just want the experience to be overSpecial Features:
- Awesome restaurant!TOGA19Dined on 8/20/2014We were seated outdoors immediately. Great table, great view, great ambiance. Our server, Brian, was OUTSTANDING! Very attentive, very personable. Will definitely be returning. Tuna, salmon, honey chicken were great. Very generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took our Teenage GrandkidsibkrimDined on 8/19/2014We sat outside and had such an enjoyable dinner facing the West Orange Reservoir. Our server Tom went out of his way to provide fab service and recommendations. I split the stuffed lobster with my granddaughter and it was delightful. We love the lunches here as well and have frequented the restaurant several times this summer to sit by the waterside and have a great lunch and view. Don't miss the wing appetizer and edamame.Special Features:
- Gorgeous but service needs helpfluff71Dined on 8/16/2014Took almost hour for our meal. Waitress apologized and said Manager was coming but they never did.... overall not worth the wait. I'd stick to the bar.Special Features:
- Good Food, Bad ServiceDougLDined on 8/16/2014Food was excellent, the service was very slow. The back room, even thought not filled, was a very noisy room.Special Features:
- GoodNickster453VIPDined on 8/15/2014Love this place Everything about it was great. Service and food was extremely good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timerpatticakeDined on 8/14/2014Everything was wonderful ftom the moment we entered. Lovely Hostess....great seating arrangements. ...delicious food. Our server was Willis. He was very attentive and accommodating. The only negative was our lunch took a little too long to come out. We were on a lunch break from our office across the street. When brought to our servers attention. ..he inquired and we were served almost immediately. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, so so foodlove2dineoutDined on 8/11/2014McLoone's in West Orange is a beautiful building with a beautiful view of the South Mountain Reservoir. Our server Kathy was a fantastic waitress. However, the food was nothing to write home about. Our party of five expected much more, especially for the prices. Probably best as a place to go for drinks and appetizers, not dinner.Special Features:
- A good experience but...UninspiredVIPDined on 8/9/2014Very pleasant evening and the dinner was generally good, however a few misses on: the estimated wait time for an outside table - turned out to be 40 mins not 20 - 30 as told; "colossal" shrimp cocktail is actually "small to medium" size shrimp cocktail (one had to be de-veined); and sevrice is always on the slower side here.
- Worth a rideHal66Dined on 8/9/2014This was not our first visit to McCloon's. It is a two hour ride from where we live and it was the first place we thought of to meet friends that were an hour in the other direction. That is how good this place is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud and confused staffSirmegDined on 8/8/2014The view is beautiful, if you are lucky enough to be seated outdoors. The dining room is extremely loud, the food is mediocre and the servers are not fully trained. Make sure you mention that you made the reservations through Open Table or they will consider your party as a no show.Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 8/8/2014Had a very enjoyable lunch with two of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJmkmDined on 8/7/2014We had a wonderful dinner with great service and a beautiful view. Would recommend dinning here for sure.Special Features:
- Great location mediocre foodEssexCountyEatsVIPDined on 8/6/2014Sitting outside in a summer evening is heaven here. I just wish the food and service was better. I would come more often if it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceBarbDined on 8/1/2014We went here because my son was in a performance at Paper Mill Playhouse. We saw mixed reviews but all wanted to try it. We all really enjoyed the good, service was great and beautiful scenery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerGaryBodeDined on 7/31/2014The swordfish and salmon were good. The waitress wasn't all that friendly. In the beginning, she was a bit rude because we were at a table she claimed was just for dinner, though there was no sign. We ordered an app, then dinner shortly afterwards. The McLoons in Sea Bright seemed a bit fancier.Special Features:
- Great TimefoodieDined on 7/29/2014We had a group birthday party (8 ppl) - we were seated immediately and received very attentive service! Had a great time!Special Features:
- Really good except . . .LovegoodfoodDined on 7/27/2014Dinner (Sunday) could have been a much nicer experience if not for the noise level. A little correction in the acoustics and I might be giving 5 stars in the future!Special Features:
- Lovely DinnerJLibDined on 7/26/2014Food & atmosphere were excellent. The staff was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK food, great location, kids tooChiprooney100Dined on 7/26/2014Came on a Saturday for a birthday lunch at 1pm. I assume because of the restaurants proximity to the Turtle Back Zoo, this restaurant has many more kids than I would expect for this type of place. Food was decent. Large portions for the sandwiches, quality was average or slightly above. Service was very slow... we had to ask for a server to come to our table after sitting for 10 minutes without being greeted. We also had to ask for our dessert to be served which we had brought with us, and were charged a $1.50 cake cutting fee each for 5 people. Kinda ridiculous. I would not return on my own accord, but if someone else if footing the bill for average food and poor service, I'll be there.Special Features:
- I've had better...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014On Friday, July 25th, we reserved a table at McCloones. I have to say, the service was a bit slow. Our server informed us that the bar was backed up. She also informed us later the kitchen was backed up as well. Our chicken wings came with blue cheese, but no celery. The appletini I ordered was just that... an apple flavored martini; no cinnamon rimmed glass, no green apple slice in the glass; clearly presentation is not a priority. Burgers were decent, but risotto was sticky and lukewarm. We would go back, but I would order differently and maybe stick to the wine list. I understand that on a Friday night, the outdoor area gets crowded, but that is still not an excuse for mediocre service and presentation inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceCouplesdelightDined on 7/25/2014Celebrating my anniversary when I went to McLoone's for the first time....waiter was helpful and professional. The Thai wings were wonderful and the salad selections were great. I would have loved to eat outdoors, guess that will happen next time. Highly recommend the boathouse, take advantage of the walk path right behind restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't Go BackFoodie50Dined on 7/23/2014The place has been there for years and yet can't seem to get it together. Beautiful place, but that's about it. Terrible service, mediocre food, overpriced.
- Pj8552VIPDined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed the outdoor dining.....food was quite good!Special Features:
- LandscaperDined on 7/22/2014Although I had been here previously and enjoyed everything, this time I and my guests were treated poorly by the waiter. He made us wait too long for our food and our wine; forgot utensils and did not clear the table properly in preparation for our dessert. He had fewer tables than the waitress around us, who was very attentive to her guests. He disappeared for long periods and did not ask if everything was alright. I felt badly for my guests who were here for the first time. I spoke with the "manager" Catherine? who apologized and said all the waiters were given the same in depth training, but would speak with our waiter. If this were my first time here, I would think twice about returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible restaurantFrequentdinerVIPDined on 7/20/2014My husband and I went to Mcloone's Sunday night. Had not heard good reviews from friends but figured we'd give it a try so we could sit outside & enjoy the beautiful evening. I eat out all the time but never write reviews. I am reviewing this because the whole experience was awful. The waitress was inattentive and the food was awful. My tuna was bad quality, rare but very chewy. My husband salad for dinner was a wilted, in fresh, soggy mess. Plus, his simple drink order came out wrong twice! Neither of ate dinner. Went home hungry. Would recommend friends not to go there. Such a shame. It's such a nice atmosphere, could be a great restaurant if run better & cared about their food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014We had reservations here on Sunday. The hostess never checked us in her system. She seated a party for the same time that came in after us first. The host area was left unattended for quite sometime. Finally a manager went to the area and I asked if I had been checked in and she said no. I told her I had and had been waiting for over 20 min. When the hotess returned she made up a story about how they had reservations first but I heard them check in. She was EXTREMELY rude to me and never apologized. Oonce seated the server was very nice and accommodating to the two young children we were with. The food was good but $7 for Kraft Mac and Cheese for the kids is insane since there wasn't any side included. Not sure if I'd return.
- melanieDined on 7/20/2014Disappointing on many levels, starting with a 30 minute wait even though we had a reservation for the relatively empty indoor dining room. We frequent the Long Branch location so we had high expectations for the Boat House. Needless to say, No comparison! At one point there were 6 people at the hostess counter and not one of them acknowledged us, or the three other parties that were there. We actually observed two groups walk out! Once seated we had dirty flatware and the blue glasses on the table were mix-matched. At this point we did contemplate leaving, however, our server introduced himself and we knew we were FINALLY in good hands. He was attentive and pleasant. The food was okay, but not worth a return visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014After being seated we waited at least 10 minutes before a waiter came to take our drink order. Ordered our drinks, which took longer than normal. Appetizers came in a reasonable time. Dinner came out in a reasonable time - all of the food was very good. Received our bill and noticed that we were charged for an appetizer that they never brought out. Waiter was happy to resolve the issue. Would probably go back again with hopes of sitting outside, as it is very loud inside and hard to hold a conversation. Make sure to bring a lot of $$ - it's a bit overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was very poorDerekDined on 7/19/2014We made a reservation and found out that with your reservation you have to sit inside. So the ambiance we wanted with sitting on the lake was not going to happen. We then ordered apps and drinks and when the waiter came back with drinks we ordered our entrees . The apps came out in good time but then 5 seconds later (literally) our entrees came out. We didn't even have a bite yet of the apps. The guy bringing out the food spills the sauce all over the table and was rude when i said we are not ready for them yet. Then i ordered another drink which took the whole time i had to eat my bland dinner to get to me. The complimentary valet took forever to get our car. Food was sub par and service was beyond horrible.