McLoone's Boat House
9 Cherry Lane
West Orange, NJ 07052Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McLoone's Boat House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mcloonesboathouse.com/
- Phone: 8622527108x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef- Jimmy Ellis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater to business meeting, showers, birthdays, and wedding celebrations. With three different size private spaces and a variety of different menus, we can accommodate a wide variety of functions!
- Private Party Facilities: Located within the South Mountain Recreation Complex, McLoone's Boathouse sits on the banks of the reservoir, showcasing spectacular views to our customers. Keeping with the tradition of Tim McLoone's other locations, the menu offers American cuisine that appeals to the entire family.
- Private Party Contact: Victoria Desantisfirstname.lastname@example.org 8622527108x
- Entertainment: Entertainment every Friday and Saturday night at 9pm.
- Special Events: Oktoberfest at Mcloones Boathouse
Sunday, October 27, 2013
For tickets, please click the link below:
A word from McLoone's Boat House
Located within the South Mountain Recreation Complex, McLoone's Boathouse sits on the banks of the reservoir, showcasing spectacular views to our customers. McLoone's Boathouse features seating for 240 inside, with an additional 80 to 100 outside (FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS ONLY),as well as semi-private dining area that is perfect to host your next party, corporate function or other special event.Continued
Please know that reservations will only guarntee inside seating in our main dining rooms and does not include outside dining.
Please know that reservations will only guarntee inside seating in our main dining rooms and does not include outside dining.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
McLoone's Boat House reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (136)great for outdoor dining (125)special occasion (71)good for groups (67)kid-friendly (45)great for lunch (43)romantic (35)vibrant bar scene (33)neighborhood gem (26)great for brunch (25)fit for foodies (23)hot spot (22)notable wine list (14)late-night find (12)Show More
- C.P.ReidOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014Although I dined here before, it was my husband's first time. He really enjoyed the dining experience. I treated him to dinner for his birthday and he loved the ambiance, service and food. It was a bit pricey but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Boat HouseLoveboathouseDined on 10/19/2014Just recently came upon the Boat House and we love it. Have been there three times and always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightAnniversarymaryDined on 10/18/2014Great staff. Nice gas fires. Good for after dinner stroll. Onion soup and burgers better than the entree choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaisyDined on 10/18/2014Great place to relax and have a great meal. Fireplaces make it feel very cozy. Can't wait for spring to enjoy the great outdoor dining. Fun place ( :o )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't judge a book by its coverEdwardDined on 10/18/2014My family and I went for a 6:00 pm dinner on a Saturday. Location is wonderful. Outdoor dining is available, season permitting, and would appear to be a lovely and romantic setting. The main dining area is a cavernous high ceiling room. Based upon your perspective the noise level is either lively or loud. It is not conducive for quiet conversations. Service was friendly. They were quite busy and seemed quietly overwhelmed. The interval between courses was appreciably longer than average. We were going to give up on dessert but it was served literally when we were going to cancel. My tuna entree was disappointing. It was prepared without the necessary BTU's and experience required to produce a properly seared and tender tuna.Special Features:
- Enjoyable evening for casual diningCrazyCatLadyDined on 10/18/2014I took my husband and his son here after we visited the Thomas Edison Laboratory and Estate in West Orange. Based on the reviews, I thought this would be an OK place to eat. It was much better than OK. We arrived early and got a table with a view of the reservoir and that was lovely. I ordered the sea bass, my stepson ordered the king salmon special and my husband ordered the chicken. Everyone was very pleased with the food. The sea bass was perfectly cooked through without being dry with tasty vegetables and rice. Desserts are quite large portions and suitable for sharing. I noticed a table with 4 well-behaved children nearby and they were served special sippy cup drinks and hot dogs, so this place seems good place for kids.Special Features:
- Love the ViewLvfoodDined on 10/17/2014Outdoor dining great, enjoyed the salad and views. We had a great waitress. Inside in the main dining room for Sunday Brunch was less enjoyable due to noise level. Brunch was good but not great, the desserts were disappointing. Will order from the menu next time. Frankly I was surprised that at these prices there were so many children, it was too family oriented for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice placeSoupDined on 10/17/2014Had a great lunch. Butternut squash soup was very good. Boathouse burger was done perfect with crispy sweet potato fries. Overall very good. I would go again.Special Features:
- Nice building, Good food.TTKBVIPDined on 10/11/2014The Boathouse is an interesting restaurant. They invested nicely in making an interesting environment. The food is good but not great but I've been here only once so maybe they do better with other dishes. I would definitely return, however, since the environment is novel, the bar great and the service very friendly. The live music was a definite draw.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oct 11 Lunchcunard1010Dined on 10/11/2014Service very good, ambiance fine, food acceptable. Would return for drinks, maybe for outdoor dining, but not for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Mac disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014The atmosphere was outstanding as well as the service. The biggest disappointment was the highly recommended Lobster Macaroni and Cheese dish which was very dry. I was expecting it a bit juicy from how it was described.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Word of mouth is correct...me2uDined on 10/5/2014The food is average. The big dining room is all families with kids. Don't let them seat you back there if you don't want to be around kids. Ugggh. And loud! That room was not meant for a quiet dinner out with someone special.Special Features:
- a good time had by allSHUmom16Dined on 10/4/2014We had a lovely time. The food was wonderful, the service excellent and the views fabulous. We were visiting our daughter at SHU for Parent's weekend and McCloone's was the perfect place to celebrate!Special Features:
- SMILMJVIPDined on 10/2/2014Food is absolutely uninspiring. It's not horrible, so you will finish what you ordered, but you never want more, and nothing evokes the word "good".
- Great View . Good FoodPastaloverVIPDined on 9/28/2014The food and service were very good. The only complaint I have is that we made a reservation for 8 people at 4PM on Sunday. We were told when we got there that the room they wanted to set the table up in would not be ready until 4:30PM. If that was the case , do not take the reservation for 4PM Otherwise we were pleased with the food and service. View was great when we went outside.Special Features:
- OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Our service was horrible. Maybe it was an off night. The waitress was very nice but undertrained in my opinion on how to handle a 6 top of unhappy customers. The food we had was ok for ($30+ a plate) I felt the wine menu prices were very fair. After dinner we went outside to the beautiful outdoor area. The live band was excellent. Once again the service... less than desirable. Had after dinner drinks and coffees. Overall feeling from my group which eats out every weekend is we would definitely go back but probably just for drinks on a nice night after eating somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeEat2livDined on 9/26/2014Not enough staff attention. Table was not set, had to ask for silverware and napkins. Sticky floors, smelled like dried up alcohol. Service was limited and waited a while for drinks etc., server was very personable but needs to be quicker to assist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm and friendly, nice fireplaceCUagainDined on 9/18/2014McCloone's workers were so earnest and respectful. It was a joy to have dinner in such a lovely atmosphere! Since I'm a veggie, they cooked a perfect plate of steamed vegetables for me. Everyone in our party also enjoyed their favorate meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpaceHPeraltaDined on 9/13/2014The space its self is great and has a rustic feel about it. The food unfortunately is what I expect to find and a Hoolihans. Appetizers felt they like they came out of a mass produced freezer app you would by at he supermarket. MY GF and I both had the skirt steak which was over cooked and drenched in some sauce. My first steak was over done so I sent it back to get it cooked at the correct temp, while my GF just turned it back all together. Hoping that my second steak would be better I dug in only to find it very thrown together and very little thought to the seasoning. All together 3 meals sent back but I did enjoy the atmosphere and the waiter was very apologetic. I would probably only go back for brunch since I've heard great things.Special Features:
- DinnerrobinDined on 9/13/2014I am a pretty regular customer but this evening we brought people that had never been there before. The food was very average and my dish was awful. I had to send back because the chicken was like leather. They never brought our friend's iced tea and when I asked to have my second salad wrapped up they never brought it out to me.Special Features:
- Great for children who are foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014The restaurant is quite large - not boathouse sized - but with lovely decor. Service was good but there was no bread on the table and we were all hungry. Entrees were very good. Children's menu had vegetables and great presentation. The noise level was very high so conversation at a table for six was difficult. I have recommended the restaurant to other grandparents who want to spend a day with their families at the paddle boats or zoo and like to sit down with their families for a special meal.Special Features:
- McLoone'sJeffCuretonDined on 9/9/2014We decided to eat here for our anniversary since it is so close to our house. We had a lovely experience. Waitstaff was very kind and we had more than one person congratulate us on our special day. My wife's steak was overcooked, but they took it back and, in addition to immediately bringing out a new steak that was perfect, brought us to glasses of champagne on the house to celebrate. We have been here before and the kitchen always delivered great food, so we knew it was a fluke. Usually the service is slow, but they were right on top of our needs tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014I felt like I was at a Red Lobster! The food was from freezer to fryer, service was ok - when the bill arrived at the table, you would have thought that we had dined at The Highlawn. Very disappointing for such a beautiful location.Special Features:
- My experienceJazmineVIPDined on 9/6/2014Overall, this is a great place! We were a party of six, we sat outside and it was very nice, great service and good food, the view was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Great place to eat outside, great setting and view. Bar area outside is also pretty cool. Inside is way too noisy, you can barely have a conversation with the person sitting next to you. Food is not great, stick with the burger.Special Features:
- Nice relaxing viewRecentDinnerDined on 9/1/2014We had a nice relaxing view of the water. The food and service were acceptable. They did have some fine bread served warm with a great texture that we enjoyed. Although there was a nice view of the lake the food and drinks were very much on the expensive side.Special Features:
- Nice room, ordinary foodDishappointedDined on 8/30/2014The place is very impressive. Quite beautiful, really, which raises expectations about the meal. The service was appropriately low-key and friendly. The meal, however, disappoints. The menu reads well, but the food was bland. Portions are ample, but the flavors were timid. This was particularly egregious given the prices, which were high. The Dijon Chicken lacked flavor, even salt and pepper would help. The sauce was too sweet and totally lacking in mustardy zing.Special Features:
- Casual and Relaxed DininglivetoeatVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great neighborhood spot to grab a drink and take in the sunshine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014I had a surprise dinner here for someone's birthday and the staff was amazing! Loved the food and the vibe of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another lovely outdoor lunchSECB18VIPDined on 8/27/2014This is our second time dining here. Another lovely view eating on the patio. Great server who was warm and prompt with service and food. The CA wrap was delicious and my husband thoroughly enjoyed his Buffalo Chicken salad (a very nice sized salad). Enjoyed a nice glass of wine while talking with our son about his fun morning at the Turtle Back Zoo. We'll definitely be back- would love to try for dinner in the fall when we can sit near the fire pits on their huge wrap around deck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHopeforbetter7Dined on 8/25/2014While the venue is nice and the service good, the food was very disappointing. The salad was soggy, the chicken over cooked and there was a fruit fly problem at our table for the duration of the meal.Special Features:
- foodcuds984Dined on 8/25/2014We have been to McLoone's a few times...only go during the summer months when you can sit out because there aren't that many places around with such a nice view for dining outside. The bus boy only brought out 3 of the 4 dinners ordered .....manager apologized ....took all dinners back while we waited for all to come out at the same time. Brought them back....potatoes were cold....dinner was not so good. The waiter tried hard to make it up to us...not his fault...Special Features:
- Missed the mark this time.cinnjDined on 8/24/2014This is usually a great dinner spot. However my skirt steak was terrible on this evening. Will never order that item here again. The other plates at the table were fine. This was very disappointing; but we'll go back. We have had many good meals here. Still recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four Strikes.Simplysteno25Dined on 8/24/2014My mother recently took our small family of five to McLoones for my birthday. We made a reservation on Opentable that said "outside, weather permitting and birthday." We got there, hostess was VERY rude and told us we would have to wait 30 minutes for outside seating. Strike one. We order a dozen clams for the table. They give us one lemon to share, and one fork. Strike two, nobody likes a communal lemon. Then the bread comes, four slices. We have five people. We order more, they take away our plates. Strike three. My brother's girlfriend ordered the tuna. She gets it and the manager comes over and says she is sorry about it. Huh? No clarification. Strike four. Meh food, terrible service, and very rude. Not recommending ever.
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Quite a few negative reviews so was hesitant to try but had to give it a shot given the setting. We went for lunch on a Saturday. There was no issue with service as the were very attentive. The food is a bit overpriced but once you consider the setting it is a pretty good deal. Take your pick...food not living up to the price...or price too much for the food. Food was good...enjoyed the sandwiches and buffalo chicken wontons. Wish it could be more of a regular place to go to...however, especially when it is colder out, there are too many other places with better value. I will not be rushing back due to the price but will definitely frequent the establishment in the future. Be sure to do the walk around the lake after or before.Special Features:
- Date NightTrinaDined on 8/22/2014The food was delicious. I had skirt steak and it was cooked to perfection...I ate every bit. My husband had Cajun swordfish and it was great also. We will be returning .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fine, service spottyPortiaVIPDined on 8/22/2014On a Friday night in August, when the restaurant remained half empty all night, one would expect one's first choice of dining time, but we were shoved into a less desirable slot. The server was unknowledgeable about the menu options. One had to beg for replacement silverware. That said, the food was tasty and properly prepared. Not fit for foodies but a nice local choiceSpecial Features:
- Pricey but prettyDanaBDined on 8/21/2014Ambience was great, loud inside tho with live music. The food needs some help...for the price I paid for sea bass it should be singing with flavor. It was bland and the sticky rice description was a complete understatement. I couldn't even eat it. I'll give it one more try but that's it. I don't appreciate being asked to pay those prices on food just to pay for their decor and ambience.Special Features:
- Ruined a BirthdayRuinedbirthdayDined on 8/20/2014The appetizers came out quickly then the entrees took about a hour and a half ... The food was terrible and, cold and they wouldnt give us saffron rice after our mash potatoes came out cold and lumpy . We sent back 2 plates and the birthday girl left hungry. We didn't even sing happy birthday we just want the experience to be overSpecial Features:
- Awesome restaurant!TOGA19Dined on 8/20/2014We were seated outdoors immediately. Great table, great view, great ambiance. Our server, Brian, was OUTSTANDING! Very attentive, very personable. Will definitely be returning. Tuna, salmon, honey chicken were great. Very generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.