McLoone's Asbury Grille
1200 Ocean Avenue
Asbury Park, NJ 07712Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McLoone's Asbury Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mcloonesasburygrille.com/
- Phone: (732) 774-1400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Please check our website for our Entertainment Schedule.
A word from McLoone's Asbury Grille
The McLoone's Asbury Grille is an oceanfront restaurant on the famous Asbury Park boardwalk. The restaurant is housed in the iconic Howard Johnsons building, and customers are treated to panoramic views of the ocean and the historic Convention Hall.Continued
Enjoy our fabulous ala carte Sunday Brunch starting at 10am every week.
Please note that we do not accept reservations for our outside dining.
Enjoy our fabulous ala carte Sunday Brunch starting at 10am every week.
Please note that we do not accept reservations for our outside dining.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
McLoone's Asbury Grille - Best Restaurants in Asbury Park ›
McLoone's Asbury Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (16)great for outdoor dining (11)special occasion (9)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (6)neighborhood gem (5)romantic (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2014Great place with great people. McLoone's staff was wonderful with our party of 8 after the Give Thanks Walk for the kids of St. Jude on Saturday, Nov. 22, 2014. We will be back next year. I might be back sooner when in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quick, delish dinnergirlhikerDined on 11/7/2014We stopped here for a quick dinner before a concert at The Stone Pony. We sat at the bar, and the staff all around were helpful and fun.Special Features:
- Good view in season and good menuorowanDined on 11/2/2014We were here after dark, so couldn't see the ocean, but it must be spectacular in season. Service was great and the food was very good. Thank you!Special Features:
- overpriced pay for ocean viewBeemer535Dined on 10/25/2014Started with corn chowder soup, which was tasteless. Very little corn in soup. Perhaps they watered it down or didn't stir soup before ladling into serving bowl ? We both ordered the "Signature" crab cakes which were just average, a lot of breadcrumbs instead of crab. Very disappointing. Bread basket had 4 small pieces of bread for 2 people. Couple at table next to us had 3 baskets of bread with meal. Service was good, yet felt rushed. I guess you pay for the location on the Asbury park boardwalk. Of all the good restaurants in the area, I probably wouldn't come back here.
- Bland except for the drinksFirethornDined on 9/20/2014The food was surprisingly very bland. I had my wedding at the superclub upstairs and the food was fantastic...so that is what surprised me as it's the same kitchen/team. The drinks were great though so I would come back for the drinks and the nostalgia but not the food...unless of course it was a wedding.Special Features:
- DisappointingKbirdDined on 9/19/2014I've been to other McLoone's restaurants and this is not up to their standards. The wait staff is friendly but service has something to be desired. For example, we had to ask the waitress to bring a glass so that my husband didn't have to drink his beer out of a bottle. Wings and salad were good. Just as we started to eat our appetizers our waitress came to us and indicated that our meals will be out shortly. We asked if she could slow down the pace so we can enjoy our appetizer first. Dinner entrees were fair. The flounder was burnt and dry, and the short ribs were fair. This restaurant is not up to McLoone's normal standards. It's a shame given the location and price being paid for the entree. I expected more.
- nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014always enjoy a meal at Mc Cloone's. I enjoy the service and the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MCCLOONES FOREVERBillVIPDined on 8/24/2014As far as brunch goes, its been a long time since one matched this one. A nice view of the board walk, a $5 mimosa flute, a$20 brunch with literally everything-made to order waffles and omelets plus amazing substantial tasty hot dishes chicken, fish meatloaf and pasta and charcuterie with lots of fresh veg , fruits, lox, croissants, bagels and cake with COFFEE AMAZING Ill be backSpecial Features:
- Good food, excellent servicegabagooDined on 8/20/2014We have eaten at all of McLoons restaurants and they are all good. The service in this location was probably the best. We ate in the Long Branch location several weeks ago, and was not happy with the service or the staff.Special Features:
- Poor First ImpressionDonHoVIPDined on 8/14/2014Having arrived at the reception desk I was asked whether we preferred inside or out? We chose outside and were directed to another reception area. We were then informed that a party of less than five could not be seated (we were three) and were directed to yet another reception area up a flight of stairs! After a short wait we finally were seated and preceded to have a delightful dinner. Our waiter was outstanding. It seems that a small investment in a two-way radio would enable each of the desks to communicate as to the availability of seating.Special Features:
- Great Food - Bad VoicesNJGolferDined on 8/1/2014The food and service at were spectacular! We all enjoyed the Buffalo Crab Dip to start. The entrees were so good we just had to share them with each other! The staff were very attentive and knowledgeable about the food and drink menu and helped us make great selections. We were never looking for our waitress (Megan) nor did we feel like she was hovering. The only disappointment, and it was huge, was the very loud and VERY BAD singing being done by the live entertainment. At 9pm the two "singers" with guitars in hand got up in front of the fire place, turned their amplifiers up to MAX and began singing, or should I say trying to sing, some 50's and 60's tunes. Not to mention the bad Elvis impersonations!Special Features:
- The following 175 reviews are from the McLoone's Asbury Grille reviews archive.
- Delicious and beautiful!JasonVIPDined on 7/25/2014Whether it's lunch on the beach or a romantic dinner, this place is great.Special Features:
- tim at his bestPd077Dined on 7/25/2014third visit, food, service, entertainment all great, will be back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchJandKDVIPDined on 7/20/2014We went for Sunday Brunch, and had obviously made our reservation on Open Table. The young lady that we checked in with outside was pretty rude and acted like you can't make reservations. After walking away and then coming back she told us to go into the restaurant to the hostess by the other entrance and she was much more helpful. We sat inside, which was OK since we got the buffet brunch and had to keep getting up to get food. I think the price was reasonable at $19:95, and I would go there again.Special Features:
- Long lines for brunchShoreGirlDined on 7/20/2014Food tasted excellent but there was only one person making omelets. Waited a very long time. Also layout was poor. No self serve eggs at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very average, low valuehightopDined on 7/17/2014Everything was very average at McLoone's. For appetizers we ordered Texas potato chips and corn chowder, both were tasty. For dinner we both had burgers (Circa 79 & AP) that were overdone, bland, and expensive – this estaishment definitely uses frozen patties. The Circa did not have the caper sauce that came on the burger as described and neither of our meals came with the chips and fries that were ordered. The waitress brought out the fries after we reminded her, but forget the chips – we didn't even bother asking again. Nice views of the ocean from the resturant and $20 gift card made the check palitable.Special Features:
- Brunch with Good ViewPauliusDined on 7/6/2014Solid all-you-can-eat brunch at a decent price. Good view of the boardwalk from the outdoor seats, although the upstairs seats could use an umbrella or some shade from the sun on hot days.Special Features:
- Outstanding as Always!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Food and service were exceptional (as always)! Ambience is just wonderful - indoors or outdoors! We always feel like we are "coming home" when we dine here! Everything is always just wonderful - thank you! (Will be back within the next 2 weeks!)Special Features:
- Great view of the oceanElizabethDined on 7/3/2014While the view is great the food is OK , the appetizers were great but the main course could be better. I ordered swordfish which was OK it would have been better with out the Feta cheese somehow fish and cheese does not go well , also my husbands skirt steak was loaded with cheese Gorgonzola ? way too much cheese the steak sauce would have been enough, the cheese overpowered the dish. The burger side of the menu looked good next time will stick to them .Special Features:
- Pretty good but not great.Trish123Dined on 6/27/2014Food was average to good. Outdoor dining on the boardwalk was very nice. Service was very good. Dinners were a bit pricey for not including salad or sides, the tuna was just tuna with some guacamole. The burgers were substantial. And came with a side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor managementannxxxxxxxVIPDined on 6/22/2014food and drinks were excellent as was wait staffand bar tenders. We made reservation vi open table. i received my confirmation and they would not honor it so we had to wait 30 minutes for a table.Special Features:
- Great spot at the beachYoginiVIPDined on 6/17/2014Very scenic by the beach and everyone walking on the Boardwalk. Friendly service and tasty food. Great for kids as well and as adults. Best dining with all the rest...seaside, parking, menu!Special Features:
- It's not getting older...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2014it's getting better! We've gone here a couple times a year for over 5 years now because it had a great view and great food when it first opened. Well, the view of the boardwalk & ocean are about the same, but the food keeps getting better, the selection of drinks keeps improving, and even the bread is getting better - and all those things were great to begin with! The prices are reasonable for the quantity of food you get, and if you just want to sit on the Asbury Park Boardwalk and cool off: order the "Rum Bucket." It's a quart (!) container half-filled with ice and half-filled with rums & juices. In the winter, just ask for a table by the fireplace and watch the snow fall. Great food and great views in any season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Food was delicious. Service was great. Cleanliness not so much.Special Features:
- Ocean view and oystersJhill1515VIPDined on 5/29/2014Had lunch here during a business trip. I sat outside and had an amazing view of the beach and ocean. Very peaceful. The waiter was very attentive but not annoying. I had the blue point oysters and crabcake. Both were fresh and phenomenal. I will certainly go back the next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster & Frizzled Onion FailMynicknameDined on 5/25/2014The summer menu features a new Mac Bar including 4 Mac n cheese inspired dishes. I ordered the most expensive dish thinking it would be the most delicious. Unfortunately, the dish failed in many ways. Firstly, the whole dish was covered with a thick layer of what tasted like burnt French's Fried Onions. Underneath this layer, I found a few rubbery pieces of lobster meat mixed in with overlooked pasta in a tasteless red sauce. Surprisingly, I couldn't tell if there was any cheese in my dish either. For $27, I expected this dish go off like fireworks. Instead, it just fizzled out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok to missOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2014Location is great - right on the boardwalk. That is where it stops. Unless you can sit outside it smells like a dirty fishy dump. The most unappetizing smell and a pedestrian ambiance inside. Unimpressed and was embarrassed I brought my family there.
- Was FineDanielVIPDined on 5/17/2014McLoone"s is a big name in our area, BUT I was not impressed with this location. The food came out not as ordered, cold, and very slow. The waitress was sweet but not on top of her game. Not great. SorrySpecial Features:
- NotOftenSoSelectiveDined on 4/26/2014We came in for an afternoon lunch to celebrate my mother's 78th birthday. The server seemed to be new, and made a few mistakes on who had what, etc. But, the food was delicious - no complaints from anyone about the choices. The atmosphere was nice and quiet, so we could enjoy our conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014Wonderful ambience, excellent service, outstanding food and drink - great and memorable!Special Features:
- EasterjettyjockeyDined on 4/20/2014Had a great Easter brunch with my wife and children. Everyone had their fill and the assortment met everyones expectations. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was disappointed in my visitFoodieDined on 4/13/2014I was disappointed in my visit to this restaurant. They had a very limited menu and their prices were extremely high. The food was good but not any better than other restaurants with a lower price point that I have been to. They had a special going on from April 4th to April 13th for restaurant week but although it was the 13th we were not allowed to order tom that menu. They said it was over, which was confusing to say the least. This special offered three items for 30.14 whereas the entree only on the menu was over thirty dollars. We were a party of six and all were disappointed.
- dissapointedmegmart76Dined on 3/29/2014I had been wanting to go to McLoones for some time because we used to go to the old Howard Johnson's growing up. However I was sadly dissapointed with the food and service. We were one of 4 tables in the entire restaurant and our entrees took over an hour.
- food was ok - mussels weremeg916VIPDined on 3/28/2014food was ok - mussels were excellent, house salad not so much. service was a little slow, the busboys should all get haircuts. we asked for a table with a view, and they sat us at a hi top table right near the kitchen - the view was of the construction area at the end of the boardwalk - so much for watching the ocean. Overall, it was fine for what we needed - we just needed a quick decent meal and a drink before heading across the street for some live music. good location.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014Sunday Brunch - great price, great service and hot food, couldn't ask for anything more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asbury GrillJoemMDined on 3/2/2014We had Sunday brunch to celebrate my daughter's 26th birthday. The venue was perfect for us because of my three-year-old granddaughter makes dining out a challenge for everyone. The food choices were varied and very good. The service was good but a third omelet station would speed things up. A carving station would be a welcome addition as would the inclusion of complementary soda. However, since the price is very a reasonable $20 per person, I can live without the carving station. We were all very happy with the experience and will certainly make it a point to comeback.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing brunchDianePVIPDined on 2/23/2014Our party of 4 chose the brunch buffet instead of ordering off the menu. Bad decision. The "chef" at the omelette station made only 1 at a time while the line grew to 6+ people. (I've seen chefs handle 3 pans at a time in other places.) Another chef finally came to help. Omelettes were very small and not fully cooked. Yet the chef burned 2 for the woman in front of me and had to throw both away. The home fries, bacon and sausage were OK, but the stuffed French toast was mushy and undercooked. By 11:30 the only bagels left were poppy and cinnamon. There was a platter of veggies and cheese, but no fruit. The hot entrees were odd. Mushroom ravioli? Server was nice and bar food has been good in the past, but I would NEVER go back for brunch.
- absolutely perfect mealBigericDined on 2/14/2014First time at this location. Food, service, drinks. Everything perfect recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be backValentinedinerDined on 2/14/2014We were greeted as we entered and asked where we would like to sit since the dining area was fairly empty at that time. The waitress came immediately to take our drink orders and warm bread was placed on the table by the bus boy. We were disappointed that no butter or dipping oil accompanied it. We had plenty of time to look at the menu and listen to the specials. The dinners came out after a reasonable amount of time. They were delicious! ( short ribs and fettuccine with mushroom ) We shared a piece of chocolate cookie pie. I was given a red rose for Valentines Day. The pianist played soft music during most of the time we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- catching up on a winter afternoonpat07762Dined on 2/7/2014got together with a friend I haven't seen in a while for a late lunch (1:45). we sat in front of their fireplace and were about the only customers there. our waiter teddy was great and really helpful. I wasn't sure about the mushroom soup so he brought us samples!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.