McKenna's on the Bay
190 Marina Dr.
Long Beach, CA 90803Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
McKenna's on the Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mckennasonthebay.com/
- Phone: 5623429411
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday 10:00 am
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30 am - 4:00 pm, Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00 pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm, Saturday: 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm, Sunday: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Charlie Skidmore
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Imagine your special occasion over looking picturesque Alamitos Bay. Allow our professional event and banquet coordinator to assit you in planning an everlasting memory, where sunsets and sailboats leisurely sail by as you sit and enjoy the fine food and spirits of McKenna’s on the Bay.
- Private Party Contact: Gina Rogers 8775543066
- Entertainment: Eclectic vocal, guitar, and jazz 7 nights a week.
A word from McKenna's on the Bay
A classic seafood and steakhouse, we feature the freshest seafood obtainable, a daily harvest of fresh oysters from around the globe, and only certified all natural Angus Beef. Located on Alamitos Bay, this is the place to be. Our wood fired open broilers convey a natural feel of old time sailing lofts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
McKenna's on the Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
- Disappointing new year's eve.BellDined on 12/31/2013We went to McKenna's with another couple for new year's eve. The ambiance was fine, I wish they had a different music. Our reservation was made for 10 p.m., we got there early due to our taxi arriving early. We got cocktails and sat by the outside fire pit, which was nice. When we finally sat and were able to order food I was a tad disappointed that they did not offer a full menu. We order our entrees which were fine, expect my girlfriend order the lobster and had to send it back twice because it was over cooked. I always enjoy McKenna's especially during the summer months. It's unfortunate they couldn't get a decent lobster out on New Years Eve. Hopefully, next time I go back they can get it together.Special Features:
- We have always enjoyed havingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013We have always enjoyed having dinner at McKenna's. We highly recommend you to couples who want a romantic night out with a delicious dinner. Happy New Yesr. Keep up the good job.Special Features:
- Amazing surf and turfSDLPDined on 12/21/2013We had 8 oz fillet with lobster tail and a sushi roll on side. This was more than enough for two. Fillet was one of best we have ever had, cooked perfectly, not chewy, great flavor and lobster much larger than expected. Surf and turf was $70. worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambience, Minuscule PortionsLolitaDined on 12/21/2013You will have to really save up to pay for the items on this menu, but the ambience was great! We went the night of the Christmas boat parade and it was quite festive. The price in the menu for my chicken was hefty, but when it arrived, it was like "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and the Chicken Got in the Way" :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was lackingmconnDined on 12/21/2013We were the only ones there yet we kept having to seek out the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/19/2013My wife and I have celebrated a number of our Anniversaries at McKenna's; we have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Nite NoisyHollyDined on 12/13/2013Wonderful seafood perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. Wait staff was friendly and well informed, but seemed to be spread thin. A rock & roll cover band began playing and singing in the dining room about halfway through our meal. They set up a wooden folding screen as a token separation between the dining area & the musical entertainment. While the band seemed good, they were VERY loud and no conversation was possible once they started playing. The band was appropriate for a bar, but not for a dining area where one expects to have a conversation with dinner companions. I've been to McKenna's for brunch & lunch and recommend it. However, we probably won't go back for dinner when there is live entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experience!CaliGirlDined on 12/7/2013Went here for my birthday as recommended by an acquaintance. Good selection of food at varying prices and good drinks. Service was great, ambiance beautiful, and we were made to feel right at home. Everyone in our party enjoyed the food, from the steak to the stroganoff.Special Features:
- Affordable lunch dateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013If you want good food on a budget that is still fine dining, go here for lunch. The prices are more affordable at the time and the service is great.Special Features:
- food was awful. I could makeRACHEEVIPDined on 11/17/2013food was awful. I could make a better brunch at home.
- Saturday night dinnerSoCALDiner14Dined on 11/16/2013Lovely view at sunset. Fish was perfectly cooked. Great service. Highly recommend for any occasion. Saturday night was very crowded so I would prefer a weekday evening as it was packed. Make a reservation for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemJillannieDined on 11/14/2013Had never been to this restaurant. It's kind of off the beaten path at Alamitos Bay Landing. Great ambiance and enjoyed the patio seating with a nice view of the water. Service was good, and the Chilean Seabass is a must if you are a fan. It's hard to find at other restaurants. A bit noisy on the patio for conversation so would probably try dining indoors next time, but overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityJamDaddyDined on 11/9/2013Everything was great as usual. A little loud after 8. They have a band in the bar. It's a great place to have dinner at 7 and then go dancing. Amazing sunset view...great sushi and the best pot roast ever. Great beers on tap along with excellent wine and cocktails.Special Features:
- McKennasPaulVIPDined on 11/2/2013We always enjoy the food and the view. One of our favorite spotsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good actuallyFredClemDined on 10/1/2013Good menu with enough variety. Something for everyone. Good size portion (not too much) and good taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than what was expected.robertDined on 9/21/2013The service was good. Friendly and quick. However, the meal was mediocre at best - Scallops were gritty, and Cioppino was over-cooked. If this were not an anniversary meal, I would have complained extensively, however, as I did not want to dampen the mood I dealt with lousy food For a bottle of wine, four small pieces of smoked fish, three scallops and a bowl of tomato soup with overcooked seafood it cost $125. .
- A great experienceHaydensgrandpyVIPDined on 9/21/2013Had a very nice dinner with my wife. We had Bert for a server, he took great care of us and was helpful with recommendations. Lovely sunset view over the bay. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Always a good experienceRomoswiftDined on 9/14/2013Took some friends who live in the L.A area, and we have joined them at some amazing restaurants in L.A., including a few of WolfGang pucks. We were looking to take them to a Long Beach favorite, and we are never disappointed with McKenna's food. The menu is varied, with something for everyone, and they have a splendid wine list. I had the lamb, which was cooked to perfection and quite tasty. They serve Sand Dabs there, which is one of my favorite fishes, but difficult to find in restaurants. The only down side is if you want to have a conversation, ask for table FAR away from the bar. They have a band, which is great if you came to hear music. We usually sat further away previously, which works!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent McKenna'safdgfDined on 9/14/2013We had an excellent meal and a very low-stress experience. They are always a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent EveningStevieRayDined on 9/8/2013Food was great; service even better; glasses always full; attentive waitress's ; great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View is Outstanding--Food is OkayPatriciaFDined on 9/8/2013We took out of town guests for brunch at McKenna's. They loved the view. We all liked the food, but nothing was out of this world have to go back to eat again. It was good; portion size was ample. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Great Night OutChasDined on 8/21/2013On-line reservation was very convenient and we were seated immediately. Good variety of dishes to choose from. Candle on the desert for my wife's birthday made it very special.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2013The ambience was beautiful overlooking the bay and watching the sunset. Unfortunately we were seated next to a room where a private birthday party was being held. The noise level was extremely loud. We asked the server to close the door. The food was delicious but pricey. We enjoyed the complimentary birthday dessert - cream puffs with ice cream inside. I would rate outstanding except for the loud noise and pricey cost of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect evening. ServicelindaDined on 8/18/2013A perfect evening. Service was perfect. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- I lunch at McKenna's periodicallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/11/2013I lunch at McKenna's periodically with GF's and I like this place. It's Sunday afternoon and our son is home for the weekend. He's in the Navy and will deploy soon and we want to take him to nice places for dinner. My husband says how about McKenna's? He's never been and wanted to try. Both enjoyed their dinner. My husband had the seared tuna and he said it was great and perfect. My son had the salmon and enjoyed his meal also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr and Mrs GlindaDined on 8/4/2013We had a wonderful time. Wonderful food and wonderful service. Haven't been there in 15 years and it has changed a lot. For the better. I want to go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9 hour dateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2013We arrived and were quickly seated nice outdoor table (as requested). We requested a taste of a wine and ordered a bottle along with a couple sushi rolls. The outdoor music was nice and at a level where we could talk and enjoy it. The staff was attentitive, we continued to enjoy the late afternoon, and evening with another couple bottles and several more dishes. The staff was great and gave us enought privacy but keep up with making sure we had or got what we wanted or needed. It was overall the best experience I have had at a resturant. McKenna's..you guys rock!! ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not disappointMermaidDined on 8/2/2013McKenna's is a great restaurant in a great location. McKenna's has a little something to offer everyone - a vibrant & popular bar, quality entertainment, a small dancefloor, a large indoor dining room, a large patio for comfortable outside dining with a view, complete with firepit. As a longtime repeat diner, there are old favorites I miss. I REALLY appreciate getting the outdoor table I requested. Thank you! McKenna's doe not need to subscribe to Open Table; but I appreciate the ability to view time availability and make a reservation online.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night!chris314Dined on 8/2/2013My wife and I celebrated her birthday here, and it was great. We decided not to order an entree, but instead we shared different menu items at random. We started with the calamari, and it was questionably the best we have ever had! We then enjoyed sushi, wich was delicious and fresh. Next we split a bowl of clam chowder. The chowder was exceptional, but what really made it great was the fresh made bread that they served with it. The bread was piping hot out of the oven. The outside was crunchy with specks of sea salt, and the inside was warm and soft. Happy hour beers were a good deal at $3 each. The ambiance was good, and the view was even better. The only gripe my wife and I had was that the padio area felt a little crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 2HVCMDined on 7/27/2013I like the location by the harbor. Great food and ambience. Noise level was a bit loud, but would still recommend for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Litttle for Too MuchEnglanderDined on 7/27/2013Food quality was good but portions way too small for the money. My scallops came with nothing else on the plate. Not even a teaspoon of rice. Our server was excellent. Three of our guests stayed on to listen to the music and when they went to collect their vehicle from valet parking it was closed and they found their car with the keys left on the hood! Talk about an invitation to steal! This was a special birthday dinner, but we won't choose this location in the future.Special Features:
- back to really goodJamesVIPDined on 7/25/2013Either the chef is new or the Sioux chef is new but the food has come back. Time to return and enjoy. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McKenna's, once again ExcellentEvanDined on 7/24/2013I've dined at McKennas on the Bay in Long Beach for both personal and business dinners, and it's been consistently outstanding for both. The most recent visit was to welcome my father on his first visit to Southern California, and McKenna's delivered: an excellent view of the bay, delicious food, wonderful service. My only complaint was that there was a VERY noisy table of possibly-overserved birthday celebrants whose loud behavior put a slight damper on an otherwise wonderful occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & Service.FoodGuyDined on 7/23/2013Excellent food and great service at this wonderful establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchDine90740VIPDined on 7/21/2013Nice menu, reasonably priced. Took friends from LA area and we all enjoyed our choices, from omelets to flatbread. And the fresh mini muffins served were yummy.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2013I've been coming to McKenna's for a long time and since they changed the menu a couple of years ago, the quality of food has gone downhill. However, the service and music is still very good. I had the Austrtalian Baramundi and not only was it over cooked, the fish itself was not of great quality but worse yet was the way it was prepared with a sauce that was not complimentary. If they continue in this manner, I guess it would just be another watering hole and not a great restaurant that it could be.Special Features:
- will never go there on a SatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2013will never go there on a Sat nite: the noise level from the band in the bar makes it impossible to have a conversation. There is obviously no way to get any band to play quietly: the noise of a band is in inverse ratio to the ability of the musicians and this band was especially loud. Too bad I am not an audiologist since I would be making a fortune in dealing with the hearing problems all of these people either currently have or will certainly have when they get older. E TrabinI would recommend this to a friend.
- server knoladgeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2013my wife took me here for my birthday. we ordered the king crab and the lobster dinners. I asked the waiter if the lobster was from maine he said it was. i've worked with seafood before and i know lobster the lobster we got was NOT from maine. this kind of disappointing too us. we spent alot of money for cheap lobster. may not return.Special Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchNIckcinnDined on 7/14/2013Enjoyed the Brunch Menu, especially the salmon with mashed potatoes. Had a mimosa while waiting, enjoyed the water view and was especially impressed with our waiter, Chris.Special Features:
- Sunny So. Cal. Saturday...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2013From the friendly helpful Hostess, to the personable efficient wait staff, to the tasty food, it was an extremely enjoyable group lunch :-) Given the perfectly beautiful sunny afternoon, we were seated on the patio, enjoying refreshing pomegranate-infused champagne drinks...until it became breezy enough to upend one of the umbrellas! Our subsequent request to move to a table inside was readily accommodated. The lunch menu provides a variety of nice selections (salads, soups, sandwiches, fish, etc.) and there's a more limited breakfast menu with tasty options as well. Recommend the breakfast skillet dish, as well as their crab cake sandwich and clam chowder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.