McEwens - Oxford
1110 Van Buren Avenue
Oxford, MS 38655Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McEwens - Oxford
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mcewensoxford.com/
- Phone: 6622347003x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Dustin Little
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Lee Cauthen 6622347003x
A word from McEwens - Oxford
McEwen's Oxford is passionate about food, wine, and you! We strive to create a place you long to come back to again and again. With an eclectic blend of styles, McEwen's Oxford emphasizes Southern food that is raised to new and unusual heights. Lunch offers a wide array of excellent sandwiches, salads and business entrees, while dinner leans toward the more elaborate and inventive. Our commitment to a relaxed atmosphere and charming personality has McEwen's destined to become one of Oxford's most popular destinations. We boast on employing a knowledgeable and attentive staff that is always ready to serve our guests. In addition to the bar and dining room, a private room is available for parties up to 25 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
McEwens - Oxford - Best Restaurants in Oxford ›
McEwens - Oxford reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (24)fit for foodies (22)romantic (16)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (14)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Best food in Oxford!ottsyVIPDined on 9/13/2014With two kids in college we have tried every nice restaurant Oxford offers. Don't ever go anywhere else! The food here is amazing. We went with the server's suggestion and tried the Sea Bass. Unbelievable is all I can say about this dish. Order it, you won't be disappointed. The restaurant is small but maybe that is why the food is so wonderful. We have never had a bad meal there and the service has always been spot on.Special Features:
- AllyDined on 9/13/2014This is our second dinner and won't be our last. When we visit our college student we will plan to eat dinner at McEwens. Friendly staff and food excellent. Restaurant is warm and inviting inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Food and Service were excellent! We had the Sea Bass Entree and the Seafood Entree (muscles, clams, ect) Really good bar drinks. Brooks was our server and she did a great job. We highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JPM4Dined on 8/23/2014One of the best meals I have had in a while BUT the noise level is off the charts bad. Hey guys, ever heard of sound abatement decor?? If you solve that problem you fire on all cylinders!Special Features:
- GoodfoodfindergoodfoodfinderVIPDined on 8/16/2014McEwens was absolutely wonderful.Food was great! Being a college town on a weekend of fall move in, I made reservations a week before. Oxford gets very crowded, very quickly on weekends. Our party of 4 enjoyed our meal. The manager showed us to our table & our waiter was quickly there to take our order. I had a special for the night, Halibut. It was great. Only negative was the hostess seemed to be unsure of what to say when anyone entered the restaurant... A simple "hello, we'll be with you in a moment" would have been nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful 10th anniversary dinnerAherringDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I went here for our 10th anniversary dinner. We got te oyster appetizer which was wonderful. I got the seared Sea bass and my husband got the seafood cioppino. They were both absolutely delicious. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved McEwan's!GusmoodyDined on 8/5/2014The Duck Confit was the best appetizer we've had in a long time. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the warm mushroom salad as well. Our waitress Brooks was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dining experience!PickyaboutqualityfoodDined on 7/26/2014Everything...our meal, the service, the atmosphere...was excellent. We were proud to host our out of town friends at McEwens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinner!DivineMealsDined on 7/23/2014Outstanding meal, attentive service for birthday dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak, enviornment, and staffskateradeVIPDined on 7/19/2014Wonderfully cooked filet. goat cheese salad was to die for and average wine list. definitely will be back to enjoy another steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experience.HookedDined on 6/28/2014I took my fiancé to this restaurant on a Saturday night. We originally had reservations at 6:30, but changed them around 1 that afternoon to 7:30 with no problem. We arrived promptly. Our server was great and helped us choose our entree. I had the lamb. She had the duck. Both cooked medium rare. If you want to be able to eat them it is best to have them cooked that way. We really did not see much pink. They were both delicious, but the lamb had too many small bones for me. Overall it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McEWEN's as WONDERFUL as OXFORDMITCHELLSDined on 6/26/2014Three of us enjoyed an amazing, delicious lunch. Our guest, a local resident, had never been here before, but she will bring her friends back. When we return to Oxford, we will be sure to visit again.Special Features:
- Great spot on Oxford Square!BeBeDined on 6/13/2014The food and service is fantastic! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food on the Square!Diner1936VIPDined on 6/11/2014We ate here with me daughter before Orientation at Ole Miss and it was great! Really friendly host and server! The food was divine! And everything came out promptly and quick! Very enjoyable experience! Will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Karla AddesskarlaDined on 5/30/2014We were in Oxford for a wedding and came to McEwens. From an out-of-towners point of view, we felt that the atmosphere was warm,engaging,helpful and personal. We would recommend McEwens to all. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!RebdebDined on 5/23/2014We had a great meal at McEwens Oxford. Especially enjoyed were the shrimp and grits, the scallops, and the crab cakes. Our waiter was attentive and helpful and we had a fun time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 120 reviews are from the McEwens - Oxford reviews archive.
- ExcellentFoodLoverVIPDined on 5/10/2014The service was excellent. Was there on graduation day - expected the server to be stressed. He was awesome. Good food. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodDreddiesGirlDined on 5/3/2014The Fried Oyster Appetizer was Devine. That alone was worth the trip. My husband loves the Sea Bass. The waiters were wonderful. Very good Service. This place is always a treat for us.Special Features:
- Ole Miss Parents weekendRebDawgsDined on 4/25/2014We were in Oxford for parents weekend for our son's fraternity. It was easy to make reservations online. They made a personal phone call to confirm and make sure we knew downtown roads were closed for the weekend. When we arrived we were seated immediately. Our server was friendly and made excellent suggestions. I had the sea bass and it was great. My husband had the scallops and my son the filet. All were wonderful choices. I would also recommend the fried oyster appetizer. My husband had a drink - Faulkner's Cure which was recommended by our server. It was excellent. This is a place we will visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place to eatJoanneDined on 4/25/2014We always enjoy dining is McEwans. We like the lunch specials - they are always delicious and made with fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good selectiontbrebelDined on 4/18/2014Had duck and sea bass very good . Good variety,but not too meany to do well a bit pricey ,but expected for OxfordSpecial Features:
- Pleasant surpriseTravelin2eatDined on 4/11/2014After reading reviews, my husband and I decided to try McEwen's on our annual Spring outing to Oxford. All aspects of our evening exceeded our expect ions. The food was wonderful!!! A jewel in a town blessed with several outstanding restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestDEKStLDined on 3/29/2014We eat here every time we travel to Oxford (5-6 times / year). The food is very good. Always. The servers are friendly, if a little green. The owner is always there keeping a close eye on things. For a nice dinner you can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow night slow servicepa106Dined on 3/25/2014we had heard good things about McEwens, unfortunately we did not have the best experience. the service was to slow for the amount of people in the restaurant. the manager should have taken up where the server came up short. felt like we were being ignored for a table of eight on a slow night. will try it again at some point and hope to get the service we would expect from the prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best night we had in Oxford!loveoxfordDined on 3/22/2014We had a great table in the window niche, so we had a lot of privacy. The service was perfect and the food was amazing. Everyone in our group agreed it was our favorite spot of the whole weekend. Easily made reservations online. Will definitely be going back on our next visit to Oxford.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerMikeandKathyDined on 3/8/2014We did an online reservation, and arrived early. Pre-dinner drinks in the bar were outstanding, as was the service and conversation. Dinner was the best food we have had in a restaurant in quite some time, and exceeded quantity, quality and taste in more expensive places in metro Memphis. Definitely worth the drive from Desoto County. Service was also outstanding, and we were provided with a free desert in honor of our anniversary. Overall, superior food at a good cost, with excellent service.Special Features:
- Warm Bustling and EnergeticOmegaDined on 3/8/2014We had reservations yet got the furthest back table, first one in front of the kitchen. We were opposite a meeting type room with chairs stacked and a light gauzy curtain, that if closed would have mostly blocked the view, but it was open partly and therefore gave me a view behind the curtain and it was just unappealing and blah. Our waitress was not very attentive either although the food was good. and the noise level was very high especially at the more choice table areas. The lighting was quite nice and the exposed brick wall was warm and inviting.Special Features:
- Not exotic, and that's a good thingColRebSezDined on 3/7/2014My wife and I have been to McEwen’s in Oxford several times, and I don’t know that we’ve ever felt it was the best meal ever, but we always feel we get a very good meal at a fairly reasonable price for an upper-end restaurant. In other words, we leave satisfied. There are some restaurants in Oxford that pride themselves of having really unusual menu items. Sometimes I think these people forget that they can make their menus so weird that there is nothing to eat. McEwen’s seems to me to have more food that ordinary people would actually want to eat. We enjoyed our most recent meal. The only criticism we would have is that the dessert menu seemed uninspired; we found nothing on it we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!UMfoodieDined on 3/1/2014We've dined here many times. It's our favorite Oxford restaurant. We had a group of six close friends, 4 of whom were celebrating a birthday. McEwen's greeted us with a bottle of champagne and a perfect table! This set the tone for our festive evening. Our server Sarah was helpful, courteous, knowledgable, and took great care of our table! Overall, we enjoyed a wonderful evening of amazing food in a beautiful restaurant with a view of the historic Oxford square. Thank you to the staff for making sure we had a grand celebration with our dear friends! We're looking forward to dining at McEwen's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodAB2014Dined on 2/22/2014Service: Friendly, unpretentious, professional Food: Best: Fried Oyster and Shrimp and Grits small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McEwens is solid, as usualmrsmithDined on 2/14/2014No real complaints here. I got a last minute reservation for Valentine's Day. The food was quality, as usual. No surprise. I had a special fish dish. Well presented. The Boss had a great filet. The restaurant overall is one you can count on to not disappoint. I'd recommend!Special Features:
- The food was great. The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The food was great. The service was great, I wish i could remember the waiters name, he was really good. The atmosphere was very relaxing. I would and have recommended McEwen's to several friends. Great job, great food, great experience. Thank you so much.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/6/2014Very good food, excellent service, right on the SquareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hello, will you be our waiter?GoodTasteDined on 2/1/2014All six in our party gave the food very high marks. Unfortunately, the service was spotty at best. I asked the hostess twice to please send someone to take our drink order. Our server was very nice with just the right amount of light conversation but she lacked follow through. The four who ordered beef entrees were served simultaneously but were forced to wait another five minutes before the two remaining fish entrees appeared. Then the server shows up and unapologetically asked "Does everything look good?" We were meeting two of our guests for the first time and I did not want to make anyone uncomfortable. The food was great and the space is warm and inviting. We will go back but if the service has not improved it may be our last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Oxford GemOtisDined on 1/31/2014Great spot to treat your favorite Ole Miss student to a fine dining experience. During a weekend trip to Oxford my favorite part had to be the Brussels sprouts at McEwans! They were part of a special menu, so I hope you're able to try them too!! It is always fun to have a great dining experience on the Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2014we had a wonderful dinner at McEwen's and will definitely go there again....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mcewens OxfordMikeDined on 1/24/2014Could not decide what to order so ordered 2 small plates. Scallops and muscles. Lots of great food. Best seafood I have ever had in oxford.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAnniversarygetawayDined on 1/10/2014Went here just to get out of town for an anniversary date with my wife. We had an excellent meal and our waiter was outstanding.the restaurant mood and ambience is very good. We will return here when back in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious a DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013The food and service was great. However, since it was New Yeats Eve, it was a bit noisier than normal!Special Features:
- One bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013This had been one of our favorite places in Oxford but New Year's Eve was a disappointment for both food and service. The fixed price menu essentially offered standard items for slightly more than standard prices. The menu and price info was not made available online until late on the 31st (I found it after my dinner) and no one at McEwens made a point of telling me - nor was it clear from the menu that did not even show a dessert course - so I declined app and dessert as I would usually do and ended up I paying $65 per head for half of the dinner. I do not have an issue with the price (or the food I did eat) but have an issue with the very poor communication. Not likely to return.