McEwen's on Monroe
120 Monroe Ave.
Memphis, TN 38103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McEwen's on Monroe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mcewensonmonroe.com/
- Phone: 9015277085
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM, Friday and Saturday: 5:30 PM - 11:00 PM; Closed Sundays. Bar remains open (PM) 1 hour after dining room closes.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Keith Bambrick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: McEwen's On Monroe specializes in lunch catering. Call 901.527.7085 or see catering description at www.mcewensonmonroe.com
- Private Party Facilities: Our beautiful wine cellar seats comfortably up to 20 people. Please see Cellar description at our website www.mcewensonmonroe.com or call the restaurant at 901.527.7085. For larger groups please call the restaurant for other options.
- Private Party Contact: Bert Smythe or John Littlefield 9015277085
- Special Events: Please call McEwen's On Monroe at 901.527.7085 to discuss any special request concerning rental of entire restaurant for Special Events.
- Cross Street: 2ND & MONROE
- Public Transit: Main Street Trolley stop is less than half block from restaurant entrance. Trolley stop located at Monroe and Mid America Mall.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available Monday thru Saturday, 5:30 till close. Street and Public Garage parking available at all times.
A word from McEwen's on Monroe
McEwen’s on Monroe is passionate. Passionate about food, passionate about wine, and passionate about creating a place you long to come back to again and again. An eclectic blend of styles with the largest emphasis on Southern food raised to new and unusual heights. Lunch offers a wide array of excellent sandwiches, salads and business entrees, while dinner leans toward the more elaborate and inventive. Our commitment to a relaxed atmosphere and charming personality has enabled McEwen’s on Monroe to become one of Downtown’s most comfortable restaurants. Employing a knowledgeable and attentive staff always at the ready. In addition to the bar and dining room, our wine cellar is available for parties up to 20 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
McEwen's on Monroe - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
McEwen's on Monroe reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)special occasion (43)neighborhood gem (36)romantic (32)notable wine list (26)good for groups (13)hot spot (9)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A Pleasant SurpriseTravelerVIPDined on 9/17/2014I was planning dinner for a group of business travelers. Because folks were arriving from various locations, the number for the reservation kept changing due to flight delays. Worked with Brad to change the reservations and he couldnt have been more accommodating and flexible in handling our changes. The restaurant looks like a neighborhood bar and the building looks a bit rundown. But once inside, its aged charm shown through. We were pleased with the service, which was attentive without being hurried. The food was outstanding! We ordered a variety of meals from catfish to pasta. The entire group was very pleased with their meals. The seafood dinners got great reveiws and the Chicken Marsala is a fresh take on an old standby.Special Features:
- Wonderful as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014Great dinner with clients and I nor the clients couldn't have been more please with the service and food.Special Features:
- NeighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/15/2014Not quite sure what the attraction is. I ordered the Seabass extremely fishy tasting and my Wife had the Rib-eye, been quite some time since She has had a rib-eye that tough and chewy. The wait staff was very attentive which did help out the quality of the food which was mediocre.
- localmemgirlDined on 9/13/2014Great experience from start to finish! Our group made a reservation for dinner before a concert downtown. When I arrived I realized that I left ALL of our tickets at my house. I asked the Brad, the very nice man that greeted me at the front door, if there was any way I could log onto a computer connected to a printer to reprint our tickets and he very kindly said, "follow me". It really saved the night! To continue about the restaurant and meal, the service is impeccable and the food was skillfully prepared at every course. I was eating with a few foodies that would all agree. We tried a very diverse set of meals and everyone was 100% pleased. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a great meal and wonderful service! We will be back!Special Features:
- Not a Special Occassion SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014When we made our reservation on Open Table we noted in the comment section that we were celebrating my 40th Birthday. When my husband confirmed the reservation by phone he told the hostess that we were celebrating my 40th Birthday. At the restaurant no one offered Birthday Wishes. Not a big deal, but when we've informed other higher end restaurants of celebrations we have usually been greeted with warm wishes and occasionally a small treat. On the positive side, the server brought me carrot sticks when the hummus on the cheese plate we ordered only came with crackers. I am gluten-free (no crackers) but wanted to try the hummus. I thought that was nice of her. Overall, the food was very good and it was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Quiet dinnerMcCrinkDined on 9/5/2014This was another restaurant recommended to us during a recent stay in Memphis. We enjoyed the meal. Nice pictures on the walls from a local artist. Worthwhile to add this to your list of three restaurants to dine in for a visit to Memphis.Special Features:
- Didn't disappointFoodieand50Dined on 8/23/2014Having only been to Oxford, MS location previously I was expecting a great meal but wow; my expectations were far exceeded. The meal was worth sitting in the over heated stuffy dining room; we couldn't determine if the HVAC was in ill repair or being overused. In fairness it was August in the south and humidity was abnormally high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find in MemphisEataroundtheglobeDined on 8/23/2014Loved the vibe. Great food and service. Creative menu of soul food gone modern. Comfort food with a twist. The banana cream pie was historic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu ChoicesJannyGDined on 8/11/2014My husband and I had a lovely meal at McEwins on a Monday night. Particularly enjoyed the great variety of menu choices. We both had small plates and found them perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fantastic.PatriciaDined on 8/8/2014Second time dining here with 2 different groups. There were no complaints either time about any of the food ordered - everyone was very happy with what they got. The scallops were out of this world. The service was somewhat on the slow side, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!BeanerDined on 8/6/2014Great meal and service. The reason for three stars on ambience, we had a 5:45 reservation, there was one table in dining room and we were seated at two top in the back. This would not keep us from returning.Special Features:
- fresh take on southern favoritesdelightedDined on 8/5/2014Beginning with the purple hull pea hummus, followed by amazing heirloom tomatoes Caprese salad and lobster risotto all were very tasty prepared with care, beautifully presented. The definition. Of a great meal accompanied with a vinho verde and topped off with market fresh peach cobbler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hightasteDined on 8/5/2014We stopped for dinner on our way across Tennessee. Cheese plate appetizer was good, esp. the "whiney" goat cheddar. The Caesar salad was good (I skipped the corn meal croutons, and asked for anchovies). The wild mushroom salad contained, so far as we could tell, no wild mushrooms at all---just some very domestic button mushrooms; we've had much better wild mushroom salads elsewhere. The pan-seared rib eye was also disappointing: a little gristly and fatty, without much flavor, though the grilled asparagus and the potatoes au gratin that came with it were excellent. Too many of the menu items, such as the duck confit, came with either celantro or its seeds (coriander), and so our choices were limited. Overall, just an okay dinner.Special Features:
- Great Intimate Dinner SpotjrmemDined on 7/30/2014The wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable and the food was fantastic. I was looking for a nice date spot downtown and McEwen’s was exactly what I was seeking. I’ll be back again.Special Features:
- EondrnDined on 7/29/2014Very enjoyable meal, great service and the food was exceptional. I had the sea bass and my husband had the lamb. Deserves a return visit.Special Features:
- Always enjoyCornheadDined on 7/25/2014We always enjoy coming to McEwen's. When I asked my love where she wanted to dine for our anniversary, she said McEwen's. It does not have to be fancy but you can be casual or dressed up and feel comfortable either way. McEwen's is just a quiet place to have great food and enjoy whoever you are with.Special Features:
- Our favorite in MemphisMrsinMemphisDined on 7/22/2014Anytime my husband and I have a special occasion, our first thought is to head to McEwen's. The ambiance is awesome, and the food is consistently delicious. When individuals ask us where to go in town for a great meal, we always suggest McEwen's. Thank you for providing us with a romantic evening last week to celebrate our 10 year anniversary as a couple!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Moderately Priced diningMsAnnDined on 7/19/2014The sevice is fantastic. Very friendly staff. I had the Sweet Potato Catfish along with mac n cheese and greens. Very tasty. Cozy private atmosphere .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodjroushVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food was amazing and the service was great. The waitress was very helpful with recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnitaTNDined on 7/11/2014There were five of us having dinner together. We ordered a variety of entrees and all were very, very good. Excellent service as well. A wonderful meal and we will all be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Except for the host very goodgrtrxVIPDined on 7/9/2014Exceptional bourbon/rye selections! Very good food, solid wine list especially if you like Pinot Noir and Chards. Table service very good, bartender great. Host, just didn't seem happy we showed up with 2 extra people (I swear to god I changed the reservation). We were fine with sitting in the bar, but trying to sit us at tables far apart in bar when 2 next to each other were open? Copping attitude and giving us dirty looks when we arranged tables to suit our group better? Come on, we dropped some serious money, Mr Host you should have been smiling. I recommend this one with some hesitation...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors, relaxing atmospheregroupDined on 7/5/2014After all the Beales Street experience, dinner here was a retreat. We did the small plates and for 2 people shared 6 plates. Standout were the butternut squash crepes and steak with tater tots. Great prices, $80 for 4 glasses of wine plus the 6 plates and we left full. Service was excellent, we felt welcomed and at home. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodMRochDined on 7/5/2014McEwens on Monroe is my favorite Restaraunt in Memphis. It's that place where you know you'll have great food and service no matter what you order or when you go. It's the place to go if you want to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolDined on 6/27/2014Everything on the menu that we ordered was fantastic. The wine was delicious. We enjoyed our evening and look forward to returning!Special Features:
- A great experienceLuvtodineoutDined on 6/26/2014We arrived for our reservation a little early but were warmly welcomed. We ordered promptly and service throughout was attentive even though there were a number of large parties in the restaurant. I opted for the brased cabbage starter and my wife for the salmon. Both were excellent as was my Grouper special and my wife's crab risotto and we duly followed this by dessert. If you're looking for volume then this restaurant is not for you. But if it's taste and fine dining, book a table and it will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before OrpheumtlopDined on 6/26/2014Great place to go before Orpheum theatre night. Had early reservation due to show, but the place filled up quickly. Had an excellent small plate/tapas type menu in addition to regular menu. Enjoyed four different small plates as well as salad. Food was brought up very timely, hot, and excellent recommendations from server. Will go back!Special Features:
- Great experience all around.foodfan1Dined on 6/21/2014I've always been a big fan of McEwan's and this time, they did not disappoint. I called ahead to order dessert since this was a birthday occasion and the manager that helped me out (Julie) with this couldn't have been more accommodating. The dessert came following the meal, just as planned. And our meals were wonderful! NY Strip and the scallop dish, both of which I recommend. They also have a lovely cheese plate. Great night, start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss this while in MemphisSleepyDined on 6/21/2014Our meal was excellent and the service was responsive to our special requests. We were there for more than an hour and a half and never felt expedited. A great experience! If they have the swordfish on special... don't pass it up. It is spectacular.Special Features:
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/20/2014Great service and nice ambiance and very attractive presentation, but just OK taste. Lobster risotto was lacking in the creamy texture that is expected in risotto dishes. Salads were very good especially the crusted goat cheese salad that my wife ordered. If that had been twice the size, there would have been more to share and we would have rated it excellent. Entrees (scallops and osso bucco) were good and very good respectively. Oh, and while the small biscuits that were served first were very good they were served without butter. Of course that may have been an oversight. Overall, just not what we were hoping for in a 46th anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- I40volDined on 6/20/2014Great place to eat, easy to find. We had a group of 6 so everyone had something different. The sea bass was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RojoRojoVIPDined on 6/18/2014The food was great and the service was superb. We wil definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lacking serviceWineandDineDined on 6/14/2014The food at McEwan's does not disappoint. Both times I went, the food was remarkable - to this day I am still thinking about my meals, and also the very impressive coconut cake. Sadly, the service was lackluster. The server made us feel like we were an inconvenience to serve, and that they would rather be elsewhere. They did the bare-minimum. Still, I did return despite the poor service - the food is just that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time there, would go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014The menu is so vast, much to choose from. We wanted to try it all! Very good and fresh. Great service. I would certainly recommend it.Special Features:
- My first time but not my lastmrandmrshDined on 6/10/2014When we first arrived for our anniversary dinner the crowd was extremely loud (and this was on a Tuesday), I didn't mind that much except that I had a hard time hearing anything the waitress or my husband said. Luckily we had a late dinner reservation, 8pm so the loud crowd was gone in about 30 minutes. After that it was smooth sailing. We had the Educated Guess Cabernet for our wine, the tuna and beef tartare to share, my husband had the chilean seabass, I had the lamb both were excellent!! My taste buds were in heaven. We dine out a lot and I must say this is now on my top 5 list. We WILL be back!Special Features:
- Great the 2nd time too!!!zxdcfghy2345667ujkDined on 6/7/2014This was the and time we ate at McEwen's while on a weekend adventure in Memphis. It was if anything better than the first because we refined our ordering to our preferences. Good job McEwen'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantdjstroupDined on 6/7/2014McEwen's on Monroe is our favorite restaurant. We eat here every time we are in Memphis and will continue to come back. It's one of the reasons we love Memphis so much! Keep up the fantastic cuisine and atmosphere. Staff is wonderful as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding once againMemphianDined on 6/6/2014It has been way too long since our last visit. We has two extremely unique appetizers that we would never of though to order that turned out to be fabalous. A Gyro and tuna and beef tartar. We had the sea bass and it just melted in your mouth. My wife said it was the best fish she had ever eaten. We eat out at least 3 nights per week. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a must visit downtown.UmtigrDined on 6/6/2014I can't wait to go back. We shared soup, salad, small plate, the fish special and dessert. The soup was a very flavorful chicken gumbo with just the right amout of spice. My wedge salad was fresh and crisp with a house made blue cheese dressing. It was a little thinner than I like, but delicious. The small plate of lobster rissotto was creamy and rich with plenty of lobster. The stir of the meal was the fish. It was seared tuna and marlin with purple sticky rice and green beans. I hated that we were sharing because I wanted it all to myself. Desserts are divine. I highly recommend the banana cream pie. It's the house desert for a reason. The coconut cake was moist and very "coconuty". Our server was friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- az41red2travelersDined on 5/23/2014Lovely local restaurant. Menu diverse. Met the chef who was charming. Wine list was interesting.Special Features:
- Great foodKathyDined on 5/22/2014We visited this restaurant on the recommendation of a local Memphis resident. We enjoyed it very much. We both agree that the scallops were probably the best we had ever had. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 637 reviews are from the McEwen's on Monroe reviews archive.