2 West Front Street
Keyport, NJ 07735Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mcdonaghs.com/
- Phone: 7322640999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Daily: 11:30am - 10:00pm Late Night: 10:00pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American, Irish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: McDonagh's Pub catering offers a wide range of menus that can be custom-made to suit your needs. Please call us with any questions you may have.
- Private Party Facilities: McDonagh's Pub is a fun, hip and friendly place that offers...GREAT FOOD, GREAT DRINK AND GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! We do a custom menu for each party to be sure to suit the requests of our customers. We host Holiday Parties, Christenings, Birthdays, Victory Parties, Engagements, Anniversaries, etc. If you would like more information in regards to letting McDonagh's Pub host your next function, please call us so we can answer any questions you may have.
- Private Party Contact: Ken Lawlor 7322640999x5
- Entertainment: We offer amazing live music from Irish Folk to Rock and Roll on the weekends and cool acoustic tunes in the bar on the weeknights. On Wednesdays come in for Karaoke!
- Cross Street: Broad Street
- Public Transit: Hazlet and Matawan Train stations are located within a few miles from the Pub. Also, there is a bus stop in front of the Pub on West Front Street.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Our private parking lot is located next to the pub for your convenience. Please drive to the back of the municipal parking lot to enter the lot.
A word from McDonagh's Pub
Located in the Heart of Downtown Historic Keyport in a turn-of-the-century brick building near the bay, McDonagh's pub combines Old-World charm with modern hip cuisine. We offer an amazing menu of Irish Fare, bistro-style salads, home-made awesome soups, signature sandwiches, wraps, sautés, thin-crust pizza, fabulous fish and chips, daily specials and over 70 beers and lagers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
McDonagh's Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance2.5Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Good food. Horrible serviceBigCat75Dined on 8/21/2014I was excited to try this restaurant but boy was I disappointed. The waitress was disinterested from the very start. She would slam down our drinks and when I asked for dessert, she rolled her eyes as if I was annoying her!Special Features:
- A VERY GOOD PUB MEALJessieBDined on 7/15/2014We were immediately shown to our table and ordered drinks. We selected two entrees which came with a choice of House, Caesar salad or a cup of soup We ordered the Caesar and it was outstanding. Our entrees were well prepared and obviously fresh. They also have a number of other choices like very good hamburgers. If you want to experience what Jersey Pubs used to be like this is the place. It is important to note the bar area is separated from the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 42 reviews are from the McDonagh's Pub reviews archive.
- UncertainpamkVIPDined on 5/17/2014I never write a place off after one try. Food was better than average pub food. The service was poor. Initially two waiters within a few minutes then maybe they couldn't remember whose table it was. Asked for water which arrived with the check. I try to support this area since Sandy and maybe the nice day brought more business than they were prepared for. Busy before we arrived but not so busy while we were there then it picked up again. Short walk to the ocean view with a beautiful sunset!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/25/2014Food pretty good for pub food. Plenty of choices. I don't eat beef burgers but others in my party liked them here. Nice beer list. Will come back again.Special Features:
- Relaxed DiningTessDined on 4/12/2014This is my 2nd dining experience. Really love the friendly atmosphere. Nice selection on the menu but makes it hard to pick any one thing to eat. My friend loves the burgers and she is very fussy. Will definately come back again.Special Features:
- Way too loud on a Sunday afternoonMoonshineSailVIPDined on 4/6/2014Chose this restaurant because was a convenient meeting point for friends. On a Sunday at 5:30 we had to shout to be heard over the Irish band. Cute and fun but wrong time of day!!! Enjoyed the fried pickles!!
- Full of CharacterMrsPentDined on 4/5/2014Great beer selection, good food and always a friendly server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014The online menu did not match the actual menu. The staff is young and inattentive. No manager in sight.Special Features:
- Recently met friends fromJerseyJoeDined on 3/5/2014Recently met friends from work here. Menu options are plentiful considering it's "pub food", yet quality is always high and consistently good. Bar area can be quite loud at times, even when there's not music playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McDonagh's on a Saturday nightbuffy15Dined on 12/7/20134 of us enjoyed the food and our waiter John's excellent service. When I come again, it will be for lunch as Saturday night after 7 PM was very loud (music and conversations). Too loud for my taste.Special Features:
- Its definitely a pub...KevinNJ1981VIPDined on 10/16/2013Great food, great service and the right setting for a bunch of 20- and 30-some things to just drink and chill... and for Wednesday Night Trivia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded my expectations !JnemiaVIPDined on 9/5/2013Had a fabulous pre-PNC concert meal at Mc D's. It was our first time at the restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed everything about the place. Awesome eclectic menu including a Brie Pizza (for my wife and Son's girlfriend), and a terrific Turkey Reuben with crispy fries.Special Features:
- Great place: music too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2013The noise level for most of our visit was just right. We were seated in a booth on the opposite side of the bar and enjoyed casual conversation. As soon as the live music started, we could not hear each other, and the music reached uncomfortable levels. Otherwise, the place was great all around. Would definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This night was nice at McDonagh's.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/3/2013This night was nice at McDonagh's. We were there for the superbowl and it was pleasantly uncrowded. We do find on some evenings that it is loud, both people and the music the staff tries to blare over the conversation. So I prefer this place for lunch when the crowd and atmosphere is much more of a pub. Like many pubs in our area, this place gets a bit too clubby at night. Our server this night was very nice. Sometimes we find staff is not very service-oriented: like they're doing you a favor.
- I thought it was great itLuvcapemayDined on 1/12/2013I thought it was great it was fun relaxed the food was great and will go backSpecial Features:
- Hidden GemDerekVVDined on 12/29/2012McDonagh's pub is one of those hidden gems in the town of Keyport. Vibrant bar scene and great food, it never dissapoints ... unless the waitis long :)Special Features:
- This was a social event forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2012This was a social event for a networking group. We were able to set up @ tables near the front entrance and located by the bar. I loved the relaxed feel of this place. We sampled a large variety of appetizers. The group shared one of the specials (short ribs w/ cheesey mashed potatoes) and it was a great hit.Service was a little slow but friendly. The manager was very accommodating and the food affordable."Special Features:
- Fun and CasualOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2012Great place for a casual dinner or snack. Plenty of good food choices whether you want to be health conscious or just let go. Noisy at times, but overall easy to have a conversation and enjoy the evening. Service was attentive and did not rush you.Special Features:
- I think we had a bad night...waitreLUVFOODTRVLVIPDined on 8/7/2012I think we had a bad night...waitress was so absentminded....she took our order, half of it came out...she came to ask how everything was even though there were people with no food. She looked puzzled.....the rest of the food came out 20 minutes later....we think she forgot to order it...OH WELL...maybe just a bad night.....or an omen of things that are occuring there? And b t w, where was the management???
- FunOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012Had a great time! Good food.. Good fun... I'll be back !Special Features:
- Fantastic Place!DerekVVDined on 7/27/2012Since moving to the area, McDonagh's has become our favorite Friday night dining spot. With my wife and I having full-time jobs with long hours, Friday night's we like to find a casual spot for dinner with good food and great atmosphere. With the "one-man-band" playing and great service and food, McDonagh's has become that spot for us. And, they take reservations seriously. Even if there is a line at the door, if you reserved ahead, your table is ready.Special Features:
- Good food and nice casualOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2012Good food and nice casual atmosphere. Sandwiches, burgers, English dip, cheese steak sandwich were all great. Good selection of draft beer at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Unbelievably bad service,JjgnDined on 6/9/2012Unbelievably bad service, where in the world does it take an hour to make two salads. Then on top of that one the salads was not the correct order, In the hour wait never saw the waitress. and the restaurant was pretty empty. The one positive was the incorrect order was taken off the bill
- Good food and good service.mwinshipDined on 4/18/2012Good food and good service. More of a bar than a restaurant it was a touch loud but it was vibrant.Special Features:
- Food was good, service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2012Food was good, service was very good. No problem with reservation. Nice local hang out with good bar scene.Big menu with good selection of pub style items.Will go back.Special Features:
- Nice place for a neighborly stopParrotheadDined on 2/14/2012A pub is what we got at McDonagh's. The appetizers were good but the Sheperd's Pie was all mashed potato and a few pieces of meat and I was able to find one piece of a carrot. I was disappointed with my entree. My husband had a chicken fndger/mozzarella stick sandwich which he said was OK. I doubt we'll make another visit. It was a pleasant place, clean, friendly,decorated nicely but they fell short on one piece of their menu that they I thought they would have excelled.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendDerekVVDined on 2/10/2012A Keyport staple for years! Has some of the best pub food around, and lots of creative specials, especially with burgers. try one on a pretzel roll! It's great.Special Features:
- food and drink great; lotsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2011food and drink great; lots of beer choices.nice dining area partitioned from the sports bar scene...just what I like in a restaurant pub, the way it should be.Special Features:
- We always have a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2011We always have a great time at McDonagh's! Willie Lynch was great as usual!Special Features:
- We always enjoy ourselvesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/6/2011We always enjoy ourselves there. the food is always good and the staff friendlySpecial Features:
- In made a reservation andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/25/2011In made a reservation and my friend and I were both there, I was seated and she was at the bar for 1/2 hour to 40 min. I guess the hostess didn't understand an English teacher when she said my name. All in all it was good. My waitress Lisa, was very friendly and accommodating. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised! FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2011Pleasantly surprised! Food was great! Service could have been faster but overall good.Special Features:
- Great beers and overall decentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/30/2010Great beers and overall decent pub food. Hamburger, salmon burger, and their specialty house sandwich (breaded chicken breast with fried mozzarella and onion ring inside the sandwich) were really good. Fries are excellent. However, I was rather disappointed in the fish and chips because it was bland and it came as one big giant fillet with a rather heavy batter. We were a group of 9 and we noticed the service was much slower for us, even appetizers. But groups of 2 and 4 around us got quick service.Special Features:
- Nice place with great varietyniro917Dined on 10/9/2010Nice place with great variety of comfort foods. I had a great chicken sandwich called the drunken goat which was loaded with great tastes. Burgers were worthy of this place being your new burger place. Kids chicken fingers were skimpy for my 8 year old, with just 3 small pieces and fries, we had to order another meal for him. Top it off with Molten Chocolate cake and you have a great meal. If you're looking for quiet and romance this is not the place -- but if you have kids, quiet is not what you look for in a restaurant. It's definitely a keeper!Special Features:
- When we go to McDonagh's PubOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2010When we go to McDonagh's Pub we feel like we are in Ireland. We love the atmosphere.Special Features:
- The food was great. Was reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2010The food was great. Was really busy and crowded. There was an Irish trio that was a little loud for dinner. I'm a musician and it was even too loud for me... especially for an acoustic trio. Service was friendly. Had to wait a little while, but 8:30 on a friday, what would you expect...Special Features:
- We were a party of 3 and weOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/10/2010We were a party of 3 and we ordered the nachos appetizer which was delicious. Very fresh and nice portion. We had a light meal and all of our entrees were very good. The waitress was great. We've been there several times and it seems the food has gotten even better than it was.Special Features:
- Food was an outstanding value.MikeyDined on 3/26/2010Food was an outstanding value. For that quality food I would have expected the prices to be double what they actually were. I will definitely be back and recommend it to everyone. My only complaint was the guy singing and playing the guitar was way too loud (Friday at 7 p.m.). I had to shout to have a conversation and had to strain to hear what my friend was saying, and we weren't even sitting near the singer. The restaurant isn't large enough for loud entertainment. When I come back, I will have to first call and make sure there is no live music at the time, because when I go out with my friends or family, I go out because I want to spend quality time with them, not be forced to listen to some dude sing.Special Features:
- Great bar food before a concert.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2009Great bar food before a concert. Lots of drafts on top. Menu offers something for everyone. Will be going back.Special Features:
- My friends and I went to McDonagh'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/26/2009My friends and I went to McDonagh's right before a concert that didn't allow tailgating. Our waiter was very fun and friendly. The food we ordered was well prepared and tasty. The drinks came quickly. What more could we ask for.Special Features: