McCray's Tavern on the Square
100 N Perry Street
Lawrenceville, GA 30046Neighborhood:
Dacula / Lawrenceville
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McCray's Tavern on the Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mccraystavernlawrenceville.com/
- Phone: 7704076754
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: McCray"s can cater any event at most venues. We offer a large variety of catering options! Please feel free to contact our restaurant with questions regarding catering events!
- Entertainment: An array of live music is played on Friday nights. These solo/groups start at 10pm and play until about 1 am. Local bands are always featured!
A word from McCray's Tavern on the Square
McCray"s is a bar/restaurant located in the heart of downtown Lawrenceville. We specialize in All American cuisine; Steaks, Pastas, and a large array of sandwiches. Voted Best ribs in Gwinnett County. Brunch is served Sunday's from 11am-2pm! Drink specials all week long!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
McCray's Tavern on the Square reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (8)scenic view (6)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)romantic (4)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)fit for foodies (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- just ok so farOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Even though I had a reservation I had to wait for a table. There were multiple host staff and none of them seemed to know what the others were doing. Even after we were seated, it took over 10 minutes for anyone to wait on us. We were there for brunch and I ordered a specific omelet because it was supposed to have avocados in it, which I love, but when it came...no avocado. The staff, once they finally got around to us, was friendly, and the food was pretty decent even though my order was wrong, and this place has a good-looking menu, is really attractive inside, and is in a good area, so I think I might give it one more try. It definitely has a lot of potential and it will be really too bad if the service doesn't live up to it.Special Features:
- absolutely superb food!!!Perfect5dinesDined on 8/17/2014Enough said, just great. Food was outstanding, there was nothing wrong with the service, and the overall feel is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014My daughter noticed this restaurant when we were driving through Lawrenceville one evening and decided she wanted to celebrate her 15th birthday here. She reported the experience as being the best birthday ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ExperienceLuv2dineDined on 7/31/2014The waiter was wonderful! He handled our group of ladies with kindness and charm. The food all arrived at the same time and was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchMrsHDined on 6/15/2014Took the husband for brunch. It was nice, good food and lots of families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got seated, never servedDisappointedDinerDined on 6/7/2014We were looking forward to our dinner at McCray's. We had heard good things about it. We arrived at the reserved time and were promptly greeted and seated. It was VERY loud but it is a bar so that was okay. We saw one waitress taking an order at a nearby table but no one else was waiting on customers. There were several tables ready to order their food. There were 2 waitresses that were doing other duties like cups, silverware, etc. who went past us several times to another area of the restaurant and back. After almost 20 minutes we decided they were apparently not going to wait on us and we left. I don't know how long it took them to determine that we were gone. They still may not know it.Special Features:
- A Family FavoriteBonedaddy62Dined on 5/11/2014We keep coming back here time and again for the terrific comfort food and cool, charming atmosphere.Special Features:
- It was okay.criticDined on 5/11/2014They gave me a hard time about where I would like to sit and put me on a side in a corner. They said everything was reserved but when they finally moved us there was barely anyone on the rooftop during the whole 2+ hours we were there. The waiter upstairs was really nice. Overall the food was good but the service at the front desk sucked especially for a Mothers Day service. I am a paying customer and not getting the food for free the least thing you can do is be nice.Special Features:
- DisappointingLetsEatOutDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch was less than wonderful. The price was higher than what they told me over the phone, and the menu was average. The food, although looked appetizing and was presented well, lacked seasoning and flavor and was luke warm instead of hot (like my coffee). They are much better at being a bar, not a brunch venue.
- The following 41 reviews are from the McCray's Tavern on the Square reviews archive.
- Gem in downtown Lawrenceville!wineanddine82Dined on 4/18/2014With plenty of beers on tap, a full bar and rooftop seating overlooking the town center, this is by far one of my favorite places to go! Great lunch and dinner menu with drink specials and a great atmosphere, there is never a time of day I wouldn't want to be there!Special Features:
- Neighborhood TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/21/2014American bar food menu is limited in scope, but good and consistent. They have 39 different draught beers, with good variety. Staff is attentive and friendly, definitely the best part of the McCray's experience. We keep coming back!Special Features:
- Disappointing St. Paddy's Day out..5xtheGDined on 3/17/2014Made reservations to eat at McCray's on the Square at 7:15pm. Thank goodness I made reservations because it was packed and there was an hour or so wait for a table at that point. We placed our drink order for two beers and it took 15mins. or so to get them. So we finally get our beer and place our food order and were told that they were out of most of the St. Paddy's Day specials. Really?! At 7:30pm?? On St. Paddy's Day?? Needless to say, I ordered the Irish stew and my husband ordered the Fish and Chips. The Irish stew was oversalted and for the measly amount that I was given, $13. is a bit much to charge. My husband said the fish was good but he was disappointed that he didn't get traditional chips with it. Fries are not chips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible FoodStephenDined on 2/28/2014I ordered hot wings for an appetizer, if this was their idea of hot they should rethink the name. Onion rings were good, but 8 rings for $7.95 seems a little expensive. Then came the entree, meatloaf, it was very dry, had a microwave heated up taste. It came with mashed potatoes which were extremely lumpy. The potatoes temperature was warm in places and cold in others... definitely reheated in the microwave. The food was the worst I have had in a very long time and I eat out alot. Our server was the only bright spot.
- Go-To Group LunchReneeCKDined on 2/21/2014My co-workers and I always make the trip to McCrays for a group lunch. The food is amazing, they never have a problem seating us, and the noise is not overpowering making it easy to have conversations about non-office topics. I was put off at this visit when I asked for a large margaritas and was told they come in one size or I could get a pitcher. I chose the pitcher figuring that with 8 other people, I could share, but when the waiter returned, he told me he can't serve a pitcher to one person. I appreciate the proactive gesture, but whoever told him this rule clearly didn't realize which party it was going to. They certainly didn't ask who else's tab it was going on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent bar food, reasonable pricemattmDined on 2/14/2014Took a group of 8 for lunch. Service was good, attentive. Waters, sweet teas, sodas were refreshed throughout lunch. Food came out fast. Food was good. Fish and chips are quite good. With 8 at the table, I was not gasping for breathe when the bill came. I hear its great when the weather is a little warmer and you can enjoy the rooftop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013Great Beer Selection. Great tavern food. Normally, one might get turned off by the idea of tavern food..again. But this is a true gem. McCray's food was fantastic and above average. Service was good. Ambiance was great. Clean restaurant. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Lunch - perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2013Great food, service that is out of your way, just right for a business lunch. Got us in and out of there.Special Features:
- Historic charmerNortherndinerDined on 11/5/2013Great staff and food complement this historic charmer. Priced we're reasonable and location was very convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed1safetysquadDined on 10/28/2013Our group of six (five from out of town) experienced McCray's on a Monday night recently. The limited menu really left us all a bit disappointed. Not enough full meal choices. Also wanted to mention the asparagus was just plain awful!Special Features:
- Trivia . . .JacquieVIPDined on 10/22/2013We always have a great time at McCray's for trivia! Great wings & beer :-)
- Good Food in Downtown LawrencevilleSheaDined on 10/16/2013McCrays is the first restaurant I have dined at in downtown Lawrenceville. I had the Shrimp and Grits which was quite tasty with a red sauce and andouille sausage. However, I could not eat all of it and the dish as a leftover does not translate well. Definitely tastes much better when eaten fresh. My friend had the Rigatoni Vodka Pasta with shrimp and chicken. She said it was delicious and I took her word for it since she ate all of her meal. I did not taste it because I don't like creamy sauces. We decided to get the Brownie a la mode for dessert and it was very good, possibly the best I have tasted in awhile. The brownie was warm and moist and the ice cream just topped it off perfectly. We will be back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Next time I'll order bar foodAguyfromatlantaDined on 10/6/2013The rack of ribs were tough and hard to get off the bone. The salad was brought to the table with the entree, so I had to eat the ribs before they got cold, then the salad. This place is probably good for burgers and beer. Nowhere near "fine dining".Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchleokeetDined on 9/1/2013McCrays has a great atmosphere. The service is excellent. Love the food and the rooftop deck is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were wonderful,MartiniDined on 5/23/2013Food and service were wonderful, however, one of our group had ordered a drink which she said was horrible and she could not drink it. When she asked the waiter the alcohol used, it was a very cheap brand. She then ordered a wine which she said was not good but she just didn't drink and did not complain to waiter. Unfortunately, she was the person in our group picking up the tab for the drinks and is marred to someone in the middleman wine business so does know quite a bit when it comes to alcohol and wine. Otherwise, everything was great!! As for myself, always enjoy the martini of the day each time I come. Was disappointed that the chicken salad pinini was not available because your shipment of bread had been delayed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day brunchLuciluDined on 5/12/2013enjoyed a delicious brunch with my daughter and her family. Everyone was friendly and our server was very attentive. Food was replenished quickly and there was plenty to choose from. Everything was delicious and we all enjoyed ourselves as no one rushed out the door.Special Features:
- The group of 12 was handledOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/14/2013The group of 12 was handled very well, and service was quite prompt and good.Special Features:
- Love meeting friends for aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2013Love meeting friends for a good meal. Food prepared exactly as we asked. Staff friendlySpecial Features:
- Rooftop dining for girls' lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013We had a girls lunch (just 3 of us) on a Friday afternoon and ate rooftop. Beautiful view. Not smelly or too noisy with the traffic below. Good service! Food was good. Fish tacos and the chicken salad panini are recommended.Special Features:
- I had the salmon. It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2013I had the salmon. It was very small and didn't taste fresh to me. I felt the value was not good since the Salmon was around $18-$19.00. The salmon was served over artichokes and roasted potatoes. The artichokes were canned and the roasted potatoes were not quite done. The light sauce was not noticeable and had no taste. There was no salad or soup with the entrée.Special Features:
- Good bar food, with a helpfuldimikagiVIPDined on 3/9/2013Good bar food, with a helpful and cheerful waitstaff.Special Features:
- Overall had a good time. weOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/27/2013Overall had a good time. we had a large group and everyone enjoyed themselves, the food was hit and miss with some of the dishes being excellent (gumbo and the shrimp and grits for example) and the others "not so good" (Mahi,Mahi sandwich and the meatloaf) about 50/50. Same with the appetizers the fried Mac and Cheese was great, the calamari was fishy and overdone; however, Atmosphere was fine, service good. We will go back.
- It was just a tavern but itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/26/2012It was just a tavern but it was a tavern with great food and service. It was worth our 40 minute trip to get there. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great service and great goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012Great service and great good - good time for small and large groups; we will visit McCray's again when in Lawrenceville.Special Features:
- I ordered a drink from theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012I ordered a drink from the bar that did not get made properly, twice. that was disappointing. But the bartender Was a sweet gal. It was nice overall. I had a salad I would go back. It's in a great location.Special Features:
- Great little Dinning SpotJMANDERSON675Dined on 9/1/2012As always McCray's delivers!!!! I started with the Shrimp Bisque which is amazing!! My husband loves the McCray's Pilsner gets it everyone we dine. My husband got the wings and They were cooked perfect as he likes his wings crispy. I have the club sandwich very generous with Portions. The atmosphere at McCray's is always relaxing and inviting, you always feel right at home The minute you open the door:) always greeted with a warm smile. We usually go to McCray's at least once A week. They have really great deal of the day such as $0.25 wings after 5 p.m. Which is one of my husbands Favorite. You will not be disappointed as there menu has something for everyone. Go enjoy great food!!!!Special Features:
- Service was very attentiveLStewardDined on 8/27/2012Service was very attentive and tuned into us as customers. Especially liked the variety of the menu.Special Features:
- Genuine tavern foodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/23/2012Genuinely hearty tavern food: all the favorites. Went for the first time tonight (Thursday), and the place was full by 7:00 (hint: make an Open Table reservation). Prices were moderate, and portions are huge. A worthy destination if you're in the Lawrenceville/Duluth portion of Gwinnett County.Special Features:
- raises the bar on the Bar SceneNoSoBelleDined on 8/13/2012the bar food--hot wings and onion rings and BEER!--were perfect for our mood and our inner need to relax on a day that didn't turn out to be the day we'd hoped it would be. The waiter, Tyler, was awesome! He took great care of us, bring samples of beer so we could which one to order and he brought a taste of the tiramisu so we could opt for it or the key lime pie (we went for the pie--filling was great, crust not so...they need to make it with graham crust not flour crust but the filling? Great flavor, nice tanginess, and good texture.). The other staff were just as friendly, interested, and helpful. we'd come back again in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Great Sunday EveningJMANDERSON675Dined on 8/12/2012We meet a group of friends for Sunday dinner and were very impressed as always. The atmosphere is comfortable not stuffy. We started with Calamari and it was gone within a matter of minutes. I had the beer cheese soup which was awesome!!! My husband had the Cuban with mouthwatering mojo sauce. Everyone in our group enjoyed the food, atmosphere as well as the service. We all had drinks and the bar service was great. If you are looking for good food and an enjoyable evening for a group or a romantic night on the town try McCray's Tavern.Special Features:
- Nice Sunday Suprise !JMANDERSON675Dined on 7/29/2012This was our first time to McCray's and we LOVED IT!!!! The food was fresh and loaded with flavor. We had the McCray's Pilsner beer it was great. I had the Mahi sandwich it rocked. My husband had the Cuban and he loved the mojo sauce. We are going to try brunch. Nice atmosphere and our service was great. Our waitress Ace was very attentive and very knowledgable about the food and how it is prepared. We will be back and have recommend to our friends. You will not be disappointed the menu has something for everyone :)Special Features: