2 Unity Alley
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mccradysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8435770025x1
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: 5:00pm-til; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Brock
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Historic Long Room, built in 1788. Seats up to 100 guests. Our Modern Gallery Room, seats up to 100 guests. Also available, the Society Room for smaller functions. Inquire about our Chef's Table for private dinners. Inquire within for banquet package details and more information.
- Private Party Contact: Sunday Tuk 8435770025x2
- Special Events: We would be happy to host your special event at our establishment. Please call us to host your next event with us.
A word from McCrady's
A dynamic amalgam of modern regional southern cuisine, with a focus on local ingredients, exceptional wines & unparalleled service are what you will find at McCrady's where Chef Sean Brock blends progressive American cuisine & modern culinary technique while giving respect to the highest quality & freshest ingredients. The comfortable, richly detailed & visually sensuous space is positioned in Charleston's first tavern built in 1771. This National Historic Landmark is located in the heart of the historic French Quarter District in downtown Charleston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
McCrady's - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
McCrady's reviews from OpenTable diners
254 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (206)fit for foodies (195)romantic (163)notable wine list (151)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (31)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Best meal we had in Charleston!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014Each course was a work of art. We were treated to things we have never eaten. A complete experience all the way around. It was my husband's favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014The only thing better than the service was the food. Wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014The only menu option is a 65$ 4 course fixed menu. The food was great I'd just like to have an option to order what I want and how much. There are also no vegetarian options unless you want to just omit the protein off each dish. It's like the limitations of restaurant week without the discount. Great food though.
- Over ratedDotsyDined on 9/26/2014Tasting menu was a disappointment except for the Rabbit which my husband ordered. Save the test tubes and the "show" and start making more interesting food. we did enjoy the wine pairings, they were spot onSpecial Features:
- Impeccable service, menu lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014We haven't been to McCrady's in a few years. They have changed their menu to a very few limited options served over 4 courses. My wife is a meat and potatoes girl who can almost always find a good steak and be happy but the chef's creativity was just a little too much for both of us. Overall, the quality of the food was superb but the combinations and limited selection made this a not-so-great night and we didn't feel as though we got a good value for the price that we paid. Fortunately, there are lots of awesome restaurants in Charleston, McCrady's is just not our thing any more. On a positive note, the service and all of the staff were absolutely perfect.Special Features:
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We loved our experience at McCradys. Amazing service. Just a great dining experience all around. We highly suggest doing all 4 courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSharonDined on 9/25/2014Did not realize it was only a limited menu of tapas for $65 per person and only 2 or 3 things to choose from. They won't do well with that forever
- Poor TimingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014We chose McCrady's over other restaurants for the option of the wine pairing which we did order. We each also ordered the pre-meal snack with the wine selection. My only critique on the meal itself was the pork which was very chewy and very greasy. Where I have a big issue spending $350 on a meal for the two of us is that with a wine pairing meal - you usually get the wine with the course. From the very beginning and throughout the meal each wine was brought but the course was a good 15 minutes later, leaving very little wine in the glass to accompany the food. We would have been much better served ordering a nice bottle of wine - or two.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014Wonderful!! All four courses were delicious, and the service was outstanding!Special Features:
- A must on a charleston dining listmerifmDined on 9/21/2014Food service and ambiance are always top notch. Food is always creative with big punches of flavor. We eat there every time we are in charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- less than expectedchasnregularsDined on 9/20/2014We have dined at McCrady's numerous times and have always had impeccable service and experiences. This time was not quite up to our expectations. Having made reservations we were not sure why but we have always dined in the back where it is quiet and more romantic. Well this time we got stuck up front with the walk in tourist crowd.We ordered the four course with wine pairings. The first two were amazing. Then the main course came.....no wine....we were not about to let the food get cold so we began. About half way tthrough the wine arrived. It was wonderful and brought out the flavor that had been missing. Delicious. ...... then dessert came I was through with mine and my wife had two bite left when the wine pairings finally arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved McCrady'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I lived the whole dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visitMerriweathersDined on 9/20/2014Our first visit was a year ago on our honeymoon for the chef tasting menu w/sommeliers pairing. It was an enjoyable experience and memorable as well. We revisited this year for our anniversary for the four course dinner and chose the sommeliers pairing as well and it was just as great as the first visit, if not better. The staff is always friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Everything tastes amazing and the wines are paired nicely with each course. I'd recommend anyone to make a reservation to experience it for themselves. I seriously doubt they'd regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary celebrationHappycamperDined on 9/18/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and our service. Thank you for great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceLhookDined on 9/17/2014My husband and I went for an early reservation (6 pm) with our 2 year and despite it not being the type of place you bring your 2 year old, we had a fantastic night. The service was the best we ever encountered. They were wonderful at explaining the unique courses and wonderful at making alternative arrangements for our daughter. The food was interesting and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discovering Sean BrockMarkDined on 9/15/2014The menu concept at McCrady's is so simple. Four-course meal with two to three selections in each course, based on what is available locally in any given month. Wine pairings available. Choosing different selections within each course gave my wife and me the opportunity to sample almost the complete menu and multiple paired wines. Our server, Regina, really knew the food and wine and could talk about it without just reciting from memorized bullet points. She ensured the pacing was just right and was a partner with us in an extraordinary dining experience. Our compliments to the Executive Chef, Chef de Cuisine and the entire kitchen and service staff.Special Features:
- AwesomeNewtdatenitesDined on 9/15/2014My wife and I do not fine dine often (read never), McCrady's was recommended by a friend as a place for me to take her for our 20th Anniversary. I commented this on my open table booking. When we arrived, not only was everything ready to go, but the wait staff all knew it was our anniversary, without me having to say anything. The food was great and service was excellent and personal. We were a little overwhelmed at first, not knowing what to do. The wait staff handled everything and guided us through the evening. It was just a wonderful experience. Cuisine was mostly on the citrusy side, which pleased my wife. I would definitely go again (just not too soon as it is a little pricey for my budget)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticTraciDined on 9/13/2014The tasting menu was delicious and eclectic. It's higher on the price scale but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weeping GoodRenzosGirlDined on 9/13/2014Let's just say, the food was so good, there was weeping at our table. A perfect dining experience. Great wine list. Service was extraordinary.Special Features:
- Creative & delicious menutenebre187Dined on 9/12/2014I recently dined at several restaurants in Charleston during the course of a business trip. McCrady's was by far the most impressive, hitting the mark on every key aspect of the dining experience. The charming, historic building provides a romantic backdrop for the knowledgeable, attentive wait staff to deliver the chef's creative & delicious menu. Everything is sourced nearby and the 'farm to table' freshness of the ingredients shines through in every bite. With so many options available in downtown Charleston, you don't want to miss gem.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Best dining experience my wife and I ever encountered. Wait staff and service was knowledgable and impeccable. Food, unreal. Highly recommend this to anyone celebrating a special occasion or who just loves fine dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Spot for Special OccassionColaLoungeLizardDined on 9/12/2014Beutiful decor and great vibe. Cocktails and wine list were spot on. Food was very good but honestly expected more bang for the buck on the appetizers and "snack" selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place in CharlestonMainerDined on 9/12/2014Got a last minute resrvation at Mccrady's during restaurant week. They were not participating, so we got the regular menu. Not normally a fan of "price fixe" approach, but we were happy here. Four courses with three options to choose from for each. We had steak tartar which was awesome, frog legs, snapper and swordfish for second dish, and rabbit and pork tenderloin. Only disappointment was the rabbit, which had very little seasoning. For dessert, my wife got sorbet, one of which was green peanut, which was our favorite surprise of the night! Best service we have had in a long time, appropriate servings for four courses, and very do creative food make this a great special occasion place.Special Features:
- McCrady's Charleston - AWESOMEFloridaGalGolfersDined on 9/12/2014McCrady's is wonderful. A special dining place to enjoy friends and conversation. The menu is outstanding and the food presentation were all beautiful and the portions were exactly right for a four course dinner. Michael our server was a awesome. This deserves 5 stars and our group plans a return visit as soon as we can. Special thanks to Sam our bartender for her great wine selections before dinner. Just a super experience for a bunch of foodies!! Also, thanks to Michael (our waiter) for fab golf course recommendations and providing the phone numbers to make tee times. If you read this, Dunes West for more than awesome!Special Features:
- Best dinner in CharlestonJeanieBelliniDined on 9/10/2014We planned our trip to Charleston around the restaurants and we are so glad we saved the best for our last night in town. By far, leaps and bounds, above anywhere else we went. My husband and I, who take our fine dining seriously, had a debate about where in our top five meals ever it fell. We took advantage of the expertly matched wines and the five snacks prior to the four course dinner. The wines were perfectly matched and the snacks were inventive and playful. I don't feel as though I could even begin to do the experience justice by trying to describe each item. My descriptive ability could not compare to the execution of McCrady's team of culinary expertise. Truly a precisely orchestrated and deliciously artistic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful bar and a lovely dinnerDiscriminatingtasteDined on 9/9/2014The bar is full of ambiance and the bartenders are friendly, knowlegeable and professional. The wait staff was attentive and also very knowledgeable about the courses and how the wine pairings complemented each course. He, too, was friendly yet not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South ArisenSTEWARTDined on 9/9/2014splendid voyage through uncommon food items and eclectic cocktail/wines (had a first Mississippi vodka! - now who does that)? superb level of service: attentive but not over-bearing and helpful in detailed descriptions of menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryfoodienoviceDined on 9/7/2014It was a great experience for our wedding anniversary. A place we had heard about but never tried. A definite must if you're in the Charleston area!Special Features:
- Well Done Sean Brock, Well DonegapeachDined on 9/6/2014An amazing experience--the food combinations were oddly perfect, unusual items combined in strategic, magical ways. From a starter of frogs legs with beet juice that was poured out from a test tube upon delivery to the table to a dessert of brioche, burnt honey, feta, edible blossoms, and more... Plus the wine/alcohol pairings matched perfectly with each dish. A huge thanks to the staff and a congratulations to the chef and to Sean Brock, of course. Well done sir, well done.Special Features:
- Is this Heaven?DSMDinerDined on 9/6/2014I had heard great things about McCrady's, but this is something you have to experience to believe. The menu choices were extraordinary. I had frog legs, a rabbit sausage, and perfectly cooked swordfish with such creative accompaniments, it was sheer alchemy. My chocolate tart even came with whipped popcorn! And so beautifully presented. It was like eating art. The service was impeccable, but there was no hovering. I am so glad we chose to do the wine pairing. I did not realize what a wine rut I was in. The selections came from all over the world, and each match was perfect. The whole meal was a beautifully orchestrated suspension of reality - unless you live in Charleston.Special Features:
- Healthy upscale diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Local farms were listed as primary sources. In addition to couples dining, we saw a wedding party being seated in a private room.Special Features:
- A great experiencejordanjpayneVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything about McCrady's was excellent, the food, the drinks and the venue are all fantastic and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Be sure to check them out!Special Features:
- First Visit to CharlestonChicago2CharlotteDined on 9/5/2014We researched great places to dine in Charleston for our wedding anniversary. McCrady's placed very high in local and national rankings. It also had a reasonable price range. We had to look for it a bit since it was in an alleyway off a popular street, but it was a gem once we found it. Our experience was fantastic. Service from Christian and Jody was great; our chats with them enhanced our dining experience immensely. McCrady's is a class act from its décor to the service to the food. Definitely a place to return to when visiting Charleston again.Special Features:
- Not as good as the last timeDoriDined on 9/3/2014My husband and I went to McCrady's for our wedding anniversary and, having been there before, we were expecting a world class meal. Instead, three out of the four dishes we each had suffered from glaring mistakes. The swordfish (which we both had) was supposed to have black truffle somewhere in the meal and, there was none to be found. There wasn't even a distinct truffle smell so it was clear it had been left off. If a restaurant advertises a dish as having truffle, they better deliver! Then my "rabbit" dish was an oddly textured rabbit sausage that was not even that flavorful while my husband's steak dish was heavy and needed acid to brighten it up. It was just disappointing and, for $350 for two, I did not expect to be disappointed!Special Features:
- Delightfully pleasedWeluvyumDined on 9/2/2014Our dinner at McCrady's was exquisite, beginning with the intimate, refined atmosphere which set the perfect tone for a meal to remember. The wait staff was friendly, working cooperatively to serve each course at just the right time. Each bite had been deliberately prepared and the platings were beautiful. Full flavor in every bite, with food combinations I never would have imagined....blueberries with ribeye? Delicious! We felt like we had the best table in the house...a corner booth with a cushioned back, which let us sit side by side. To top it all off, our waiter brought our some amazing cookie bites at the end of our meal, specially prepared by the pastry chef. These could have been the most perfect bites ever! A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tripBadStuffDined on 9/2/2014Great experience. Cutting edge menu with inspired flavors. Definitely an important place to visit when in Charleston.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/31/2014Incredibly romantic, excellent food. Felt the desserts were off a bit, but the other three courses were so great they carried the show. Definitely make reservationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMYpatpVIPDined on 8/29/2014We loved our entire meal but the steak tartare was exceptional.Special Features:
- AmazingLuv2dineDined on 8/29/2014First time to mccradys and I loved it. Great food and the server was great. Loved the four course meal and the bread. Could see us coming here again of possibly goin to husk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saraDined on 8/22/2014Tastes and presentation were amazing! It exceeded my expectations and was a great choice for a special night.Special Features: