2 Unity Alley
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mccradysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8435770025x1
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: 5:00pm-til; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Brock
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Historic Long Room, built in 1788. Seats up to 100 guests. Our Modern Gallery Room, seats up to 100 guests. Also available, the Society Room for smaller functions. Inquire about our Chef's Table for private dinners. Inquire within for banquet package details and more information.
- Private Party Contact: Sunday Tuk 8435770025x2
- Special Events: We would be happy to host your special event at our establishment. Please call us to host your next event with us.
A word from McCrady's
A dynamic amalgam of modern regional southern cuisine, with a focus on local ingredients, exceptional wines & unparalleled service are what you will find at McCrady's where Chef Sean Brock blends progressive American cuisine & modern culinary technique while giving respect to the highest quality & freshest ingredients. The comfortable, richly detailed & visually sensuous space is positioned in Charleston's first tavern built in 1771. This National Historic Landmark is located in the heart of the historic French Quarter District in downtown Charleston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
McCrady's - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
McCrady's reviews from OpenTable diners
264 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (215)fit for foodies (209)romantic (173)notable wine list (161)neighborhood gem (50)hot spot (34)vibrant bar scene (16)good for groups (14)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Discovering Sean BrockMarkDined on 9/15/2014The menu concept at McCrady's is so simple. Four-course meal with two to three selections in each course, based on what is available locally in any given month. Wine pairings available. Choosing different selections within each course gave my wife and me the opportunity to sample almost the complete menu and multiple paired wines. Our server, Regina, really knew the food and wine and could talk about it without just reciting from memorized bullet points. She ensured the pacing was just right and was a partner with us in an extraordinary dining experience. Our compliments to the Executive Chef, Chef de Cuisine and the entire kitchen and service staff.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014My wife and I do not fine dine often (read never), McCrady's was recommended by a friend as a place for me to take her for our 20th Anniversary. I commented this on my open table booking. When we arrived, not only was everything ready to go, but the wait staff all knew it was our anniversary, without me having to say anything. The food was great and service was excellent and personal. We were a little overwhelmed at first, not knowing what to do. The wait staff handled everything and guided us through the evening. It was just a wonderful experience. Cuisine was mostly on the citrusy side, which pleased my wife. I would definitely go again (just not too soon as it is a little pricey for my budget)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticTraciDined on 9/13/2014The tasting menu was delicious and eclectic. It's higher on the price scale but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weeping GoodRenzosGirlDined on 9/13/2014Let's just say, the food was so good, there was weeping at our table. A perfect dining experience. Great wine list. Service was extraordinary.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Best dining experience my wife and I ever encountered. Wait staff and service was knowledgable and impeccable. Food, unreal. Highly recommend this to anyone celebrating a special occasion or who just loves fine dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Spot for Special OccassionColaLoungeLizardDined on 9/12/2014Beutiful decor and great vibe. Cocktails and wine list were spot on. Food was very good but honestly expected more bang for the buck on the appetizers and "snack" selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place in CharlestonMainerDined on 9/12/2014Got a last minute resrvation at Mccrady's during restaurant week. They were not participating, so we got the regular menu. Not normally a fan of "price fixe" approach, but we were happy here. Four courses with three options to choose from for each. We had steak tartar which was awesome, frog legs, snapper and swordfish for second dish, and rabbit and pork tenderloin. Only disappointment was the rabbit, which had very little seasoning. For dessert, my wife got sorbet, one of which was green peanut, which was our favorite surprise of the night! Best service we have had in a long time, appropriate servings for four courses, and very do creative food make this a great special occasion place.Special Features:
- McCrady's Charleston - AWESOMEFloridaGalGolfersDined on 9/12/2014McCrady's is wonderful. A special dining place to enjoy friends and conversation. The menu is outstanding and the food presentation were all beautiful and the portions were exactly right for a four course dinner. Michael our server was a awesome. This deserves 5 stars and our group plans a return visit as soon as we can. Special thanks to Sam our bartender for her great wine selections before dinner. Just a super experience for a bunch of foodies!! Also, thanks to Michael (our waiter) for fab golf course recommendations and providing the phone numbers to make tee times. If you read this, Dunes West for more than awesome!Special Features:
- Best dinner in CharlestonJeanieBelliniDined on 9/10/2014We planned our trip to Charleston around the restaurants and we are so glad we saved the best for our last night in town. By far, leaps and bounds, above anywhere else we went. My husband and I, who take our fine dining seriously, had a debate about where in our top five meals ever it fell. We took advantage of the expertly matched wines and the five snacks prior to the four course dinner. The wines were perfectly matched and the snacks were inventive and playful. I don't feel as though I could even begin to do the experience justice by trying to describe each item. My descriptive ability could not compare to the execution of McCrady's team of culinary expertise. Truly a precisely orchestrated and deliciously artistic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful bar and a lovely dinnerDiscriminatingtasteDined on 9/9/2014The bar is full of ambiance and the bartenders are friendly, knowlegeable and professional. The wait staff was attentive and also very knowledgeable about the courses and how the wine pairings complemented each course. He, too, was friendly yet not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South ArisenSTEWARTDined on 9/9/2014splendid voyage through uncommon food items and eclectic cocktail/wines (had a first Mississippi vodka! - now who does that)? superb level of service: attentive but not over-bearing and helpful in detailed descriptions of menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryfoodienoviceDined on 9/7/2014It was a great experience for our wedding anniversary. A place we had heard about but never tried. A definite must if you're in the Charleston area!Special Features:
- Well Done Sean Brock, Well DonegapeachDined on 9/6/2014An amazing experience--the food combinations were oddly perfect, unusual items combined in strategic, magical ways. From a starter of frogs legs with beet juice that was poured out from a test tube upon delivery to the table to a dessert of brioche, burnt honey, feta, edible blossoms, and more... Plus the wine/alcohol pairings matched perfectly with each dish. A huge thanks to the staff and a congratulations to the chef and to Sean Brock, of course. Well done sir, well done.Special Features:
- Is this Heaven?DSMDinerDined on 9/6/2014I had heard great things about McCrady's, but this is something you have to experience to believe. The menu choices were extraordinary. I had frog legs, a rabbit sausage, and perfectly cooked swordfish with such creative accompaniments, it was sheer alchemy. My chocolate tart even came with whipped popcorn! And so beautifully presented. It was like eating art. The service was impeccable, but there was no hovering. I am so glad we chose to do the wine pairing. I did not realize what a wine rut I was in. The selections came from all over the world, and each match was perfect. The whole meal was a beautifully orchestrated suspension of reality - unless you live in Charleston.Special Features:
- Healthy upscale diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Local farms were listed as primary sources. In addition to couples dining, we saw a wedding party being seated in a private room.Special Features:
- A great experiencejordanjpayneVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything about McCrady's was excellent, the food, the drinks and the venue are all fantastic and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Be sure to check them out!Special Features:
- First Visit to CharlestonChicago2CharlotteDined on 9/5/2014We researched great places to dine in Charleston for our wedding anniversary. McCrady's placed very high in local and national rankings. It also had a reasonable price range. We had to look for it a bit since it was in an alleyway off a popular street, but it was a gem once we found it. Our experience was fantastic. Service from Christian and Jody was great; our chats with them enhanced our dining experience immensely. McCrady's is a class act from its décor to the service to the food. Definitely a place to return to when visiting Charleston again.Special Features:
- Not as good as the last timeDoriDined on 9/3/2014My husband and I went to McCrady's for our wedding anniversary and, having been there before, we were expecting a world class meal. Instead, three out of the four dishes we each had suffered from glaring mistakes. The swordfish (which we both had) was supposed to have black truffle somewhere in the meal and, there was none to be found. There wasn't even a distinct truffle smell so it was clear it had been left off. If a restaurant advertises a dish as having truffle, they better deliver! Then my "rabbit" dish was an oddly textured rabbit sausage that was not even that flavorful while my husband's steak dish was heavy and needed acid to brighten it up. It was just disappointing and, for $350 for two, I did not expect to be disappointed!Special Features:
- Delightfully pleasedWeluvyumDined on 9/2/2014Our dinner at McCrady's was exquisite, beginning with the intimate, refined atmosphere which set the perfect tone for a meal to remember. The wait staff was friendly, working cooperatively to serve each course at just the right time. Each bite had been deliberately prepared and the platings were beautiful. Full flavor in every bite, with food combinations I never would have imagined....blueberries with ribeye? Delicious! We felt like we had the best table in the house...a corner booth with a cushioned back, which let us sit side by side. To top it all off, our waiter brought our some amazing cookie bites at the end of our meal, specially prepared by the pastry chef. These could have been the most perfect bites ever! A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tripBadStuffDined on 9/2/2014Great experience. Cutting edge menu with inspired flavors. Definitely an important place to visit when in Charleston.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/31/2014Incredibly romantic, excellent food. Felt the desserts were off a bit, but the other three courses were so great they carried the show. Definitely make reservationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMYpatpDined on 8/29/2014We loved our entire meal but the steak tartare was exceptional.Special Features:
- AmazingLuv2dineDined on 8/29/2014First time to mccradys and I loved it. Great food and the server was great. Loved the four course meal and the bread. Could see us coming here again of possibly goin to husk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saraDined on 8/22/2014Tastes and presentation were amazing! It exceeded my expectations and was a great choice for a special night.Special Features:
- Amazing!ClaireKellyDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I went here on our first trip to charleston for our 1st wedding anniversary. It was absolutely incredible. Our waiter was wonderful and was able to answer any question we had. The wine paired perfectly with the food which was one of the best meals I have ever had! When compared to Husk, I have to say that this was a more "special" experience. When can we go back?!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itGregGDined on 8/22/2014Great food, beautiful restaurant. We will be back.Special Features:
- 45th45thDined on 8/22/2014A dinner extraordinaire including the price. Fabulous restaurant, outstanding food, & impeccable service. It was everything we had hoped for to celebrate our 45th anniversarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous restaurantSabrinaDined on 8/21/2014If you are an adventurous foodie, this is the place to dine in Charleston.Special Features:
- A memorable experienceJpacDined on 8/21/2014Dinner here with my wife while visiting from out of town. It was the one dining experience we will remember for a long time. Food, drinks, and service were exceptional. Started with a drink at the bar. Loved the 4 course menu that followed. Perfect. You will spend some money, but it's worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectBTPBDined on 8/19/2014second-to-none delicious, professional service, great menu, great dining experience, will return sooner than laterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC friends impressedLuluDined on 8/19/2014We had a fabulous meal and a great experience. You are demanding at least 50 characters but I do not know why, no more are needed.Special Features:
- Great experienceHunterDined on 8/18/2014Went for dinner while on vacation. Creative menu with deliciously interesting combinations of ingredients. Definitely recommend the wine pairing with dinner. Nice bar as well and friendly, knowledgable staff.Special Features:
- Great NightdixiemassDined on 8/18/2014We had a wonderful dinner at McCrady's last week. I am not usually a fan of a "set menu", (albeit, with choices), but this one was great! My husband and I each tried different appetizers, entrees, etc., and each was delicious. The wine list is also terrific. The ambiance is relaxing and the service was very good. We had been there about 7 years ago and liked it. This year, we loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnneDined on 8/18/2014Everything was as local as it could be, but portions are VERY small. Even with a four course tasting menu (that you must order off of), we left hungry. Seems that they are more into the appearance and presentation of their food than the taste or feeding their patrons. Friendly wait staff. extensive wine list.Special Features:
- potbellyVIPDined on 8/17/2014A gastronome's delight. Every time is a marvelous experience.Special Features:
- 4 Course HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Wonderful dining experience with great food drink & service. Start with a creative cocktail. Highly recommend the Sommelier's paired selections for some unexpected flavor sensations. My wife & I selected 8 of the 11 entrees available & regretted nothing. Best dining experience we've had since Inn at Little Washington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special night did not disappointWendyBDined on 8/16/2014This was more delicious and romantic than we expected for our anniversary celebration. The menu on paper could not begin to indicate the spectacularly crafted and prepared dishes. Every course was a delightful surprise. The charming service provided just the right amount of discussion/description, and southern hospitality abodes at all levels. The historic building and location combined with an upscale/updated decor to provide a perfect backdrop for our perfect evening. Simply, classically excellent.Special Features:
- Great four course mealJennyBDined on 8/16/2014This was my first time dining at McCrady's. The restaurant offers a nice four course menu (with roughly three choices per course) and great cocktail and wine menus. The restaurant is very nice and the service and presentation was great. Had I known that it was a four course meal before I went, I would have come with a bigger appetite, but the timing of the courses and the portion size helped. If you are looking for an dining experience in Charleston, go to McCrady's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCLTguyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great food along with great service. Very knowledgable and friendly staff. Expect to stay for a while as it takes time to go through four courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodfoodaholicVIPDined on 8/16/2014As usual, the food was outstanding. Some good choices expertly prepared. That said, I was disappointed to find the only offering was the four course menu. The ALS carte menue was no longer available. Since a four course meal was too much to eat before going to an evening concert, we were able to negotiate a smaller offering, but the change was disappointing. I hope they will reconsider their offerings and will check before making a future reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.