2 Unity Alley
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mccradysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (843) 577-0025 ext. 1
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: 5:00pm-til; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Brock
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Historic Long Room, built in 1788. Seats up to 100 guests. Our Modern Gallery Room, seats up to 100 guests. Also available, the Society Room for smaller functions. Inquire about our Chef's Table for private dinners. Inquire within for banquet package details and more information.
- Private Party Contact: Sunday Tuk 8435770025x2
- Special Events: We would be happy to host your special event at our establishment. Please call us to host your next event with us.
A word from McCrady's
A dynamic amalgam of modern regional southern cuisine, with a focus on local ingredients, exceptional wines & unparalleled service are what you will find at McCrady's where Chef Sean Brock blends progressive American cuisine & modern culinary technique while giving respect to the highest quality & freshest ingredients. The comfortable, richly detailed & visually sensuous space is positioned in Charleston's first tavern built in 1771. This National Historic Landmark is located in the heart of the historic French Quarter District in downtown Charleston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
McCrady's - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
McCrady's reviews from OpenTable diners
278 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (218)special occasion (216)romantic (177)notable wine list (159)neighborhood gem (70)hot spot (49)good for groups (35)vibrant bar scene (22)late-night find (8)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014If you're seeking wonderful, local, well-prepared foods in an elegant, but not intimidating, atmosphere, enjoy a sommelier who is knowledgeable and fun, enjoy great service and are interested in trying new things, this is the place for you! Our dinner served as an excellent celebration of my daughter's engagement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ribeye?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014For the price, a ribeye should not be on the menu. An aged filet mignon is the least I expected.Special Features:
- Pretentious placeSusanDined on 11/18/2014This is a restaurant with a fixed multi-course meal where the food looks better than it tastes. They are so enamored of the "local food movement" and developing extraordinarily complex accompaniments that they seem to have forgotten some of us go out to EAT and to have some choice in our meals. I lived and ate in San Francisco for over a dozen years and don't think I went to any place that was so rigid in the availability of dishes. Having said that, the little dishes in their four course fixed menu were well prepared. But for $200 for two folks, (and we didn't choose their wine pairings) I would have expected more . Probably great for "foodies" but for us real folks, it missed the mark.Special Features:
- High ArtNightOwlDined on 11/17/2014We three travelers bestow highest praise on McCrady's. One of us declared her meal the best ever. The prix fixe menu format ensures that all diners will have an optimal experience of the chef's art. Service was warmly attentive. Our waiter explained a bit of a delay was due to a dispute in the kitchen over whether the fish course was perfectly prepared. Standout tastes from the inventive menu include truffle paste with basil ash, a garnish on the duck breast; a Sun-choke prepared like a tiny twice-baked potato; the beef filet; and the grouper. All desserts were outstanding, especially the chocolate/caramel tart with popcorn, basil meringue. We are still savoring the memory of gorgeous paintings by local artists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 course of creative farejustasecDined on 11/16/2014This is a 4 course pre-fixed menu at $65 with pairing and additional $45.Portion sizes are not disappointing. There are 2 to 4 choices per course and they were creative and good. The plating was worth many photos. Great find on a small street in historic CharlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattiMPattiMDined on 11/15/2014This dining experience was incredible. We are Paleo eaters and are never sure chef's will want to make the extra effort to accommodate our needs. We arrived and the first thing Michael our terrific server said was "our chef has prepared a special meal for you". Indeed it was special, extraordinary in fact, in every way. The pastry chef even prepared dessert! Sliced apples with walnuts in huckleberry sauce! The flavors of each course were intense and layered with such flavor that I wanted to slowly enjoy each bite. Some vegetables were foraged by the chefs, the presentation of each course was like art, the atmosphere was beautiful, warm and inviting. we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerjpndDined on 11/9/2014Great dinner at McCrady's. My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary. First visit to McCrady's. The staff was very attentive and treated us as if we had been there many times before. The staff could not have been better. The food was excellent. The four course menu was pleasantly presented with lot's of passion. The timing of our meal was great as well. No problems with delay in service as a few reviews had mentioned previously. Will definitely repeat the next time in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, small portionsmewphDined on 11/8/2014The courses were beautifully prepared and tasted wonderful. However, I left hungry -- and I am by no means an eater. Also, while the service was prompt and thorough the server was not very hospitable. I don't normally go into restaurants that are this nice, and I definitely got the impression that the servers picked up on this. Instead of being helpful with the wine and meal selections, I felt like they were a bit snooty and expecting that I and my date should know what was going on. Half way through the meal, our server became much more friendly -- maybe he was having a bad day.Special Features:
- MominthedocDined on 11/7/2014Amazing farm to table eclectic goodness!!!iImpeccable service and incredible wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Emotionally satisfying, new tastes!AlisonVT1Dined on 11/7/2014I come to Charleston once a year for the Charleston Library Conference. Been doing this since 1996, always try to dine at historic McCrady's: it is my favorite restaurant in Charleston, always offers a special occasion for me & guest(s). This year, 2014, was no different: McCrady's featured a small plate experience: it was exquisite! My guest & I chose different items from each course in order to taste as many of the offerings as we could. We delighted in the crabmeat & chicken appetizers, loved the trout & grouper, as well as the pork & duck dishes. For dessert we both chose the chocolate selection & were not disappointed. Ambience & service wonderful - servers personable to chat with & knowledgable. Enjoyed lovely prosecco. Joy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and memorable experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/6/2014We loved the entire dinner experience. The food, wine and service were all outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chewe2Dined on 11/6/2014Mostly sublime food; only deserts were ordinary. Wait staff & sommelier extremely helpful. Very cool bar area and it would be great to eat in banquette area of bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & servicebelleyumDined on 11/5/2014You have to be prepared to eat a four-course fixed menu. I was not, however, ended up very happy. I HIGHLY recommend the duck main. I don't love duck but this was incredible. The other courses were good and definitely interesting, but the duck truly was the star. The only disappointment was dessert. The chocolate tart was meh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceBhamDinersDined on 11/5/2014Wife and I went on our first night in Charleston. 4 course meal plus specifically recommended wines with each course. I had the crab and duck. Wife had chicken, fish and beef. All courses were outstanding! Highly recommend this place. It is pricey but definitely worth it. Also ate at The Grocery and Husk while we were here and McCrady's was the best meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FINDFOODIEATHEARTDined on 11/3/2014UNIQUE & CREATIVE LOCAL FOOD! A MUST SEE! MULTIPLE COURSE MEALS THAT HAVE GREAT CHOICES AND COMBINATIONS. THE BAR HAS THE MOST ECCENTRIC COCKTAILS THAT YOU MUST TRY! NO OTHER PLACE LIKE IT IN CHARLESTON!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!KSKORMANDined on 11/3/2014What an extraordinary evening - everything was fantastic! - The food the service everything was fantastic. Highly recommend this restaurant - and the neighborhood is beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousMariandrewVIPDined on 11/1/2014Fabulous food, great service as usual, the fixed menu was spectacular, wonderful wine we had a great Sauvignon Blanc, following some signature cocktails!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningdrmike1025Dined on 11/1/2014We like to dine,,atmosphere,,interesting food with presentation,,this place was it! Waitress suburb,,food awesome,,just a great evening,,,highest regards,,,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the ambiance and servicecaptvickeyDined on 11/1/2014Had the 4 course dinner. Everything was amazing and portions were filling. One of my fav Charleston restaurants.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/31/2014ambience and food were excellent. top notch seafood- oysters, shrimp, clams, squidSpecial Features:
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Everything about the experience was perfect. We were seated in the bar area at a cost banquett and served by one of the sommeliers. Food, service & ambiance were all wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior Dining ExperienceMikeDined on 10/30/2014Having lived in the Dc area for almost row decades, we expected McCrady's to be a good, but not that special dining evening. Boy were we wrong. Service was over the top, food was a unique experience, superior in taste, presentation, and fit for the evening. Service was not only timely, but personnel knew what they were offering and suggestions were spot on. The wine pairings were amazing with each level expertly bringing out the special flavors of each course. We were there for over 3 hours and other than being full, could not believe the time had flown. Prices were favor, the atmosphere was great, and service was well beyond exceptional. What a great spot for Charleston!Special Features:
- Mccardys is not for mealwaysthere1VIPDined on 10/29/2014The Chef's attempt to pair wines with a set menu falls short. Charleston us a city full of marvelous restaurants Thus, too , was once one-- don't waste your money or time !Special Features:
- MO19Dined on 10/28/2014food portions are a bit small but very good. Prices are on the high side but it's one of the best restaurants in CharlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to advance billing!Ned1VIPDined on 10/26/2014What a lovely meal - - very "haute," lovingly prepared food served in what I'd have to call a "respectful but relaxed" way.....our main server, Kyle, was so nice and relaxed and knowledgeable and friendly without being remotely overbearing. And the food....for me the smoked chicken starter, the grouper second (with a delicious fennel salad), the beef third, and the banana cake dessert...for my wife the crab, starter, the grouper, the trout and a chocolate tart...was all absolutely first rate and memorable. Small portions but so well-prepared and flavorful you honestly feel satiated despite the small "volume." Only misstep was failure of "bread server" to bring butter/oil till prompted- -tiny flaw in a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlueRidgeFoodies2Dined on 10/26/2014Best meal we had in Charleston and we've had some good ones. This restaurant is at once rustic and charming, but modern and very upscale with very interesting combinations of ingrediants. The food was outstanding, and this is one of our finest dining experiences. We will come again. This is our second time dining at this restaurant and the first was extrordinary and this time blew us away!Special Features:
- Mark from NYUNHAPPYDined on 10/26/2014The portions were extremely small. The amount of food we received for the money was a disgrace. I would caution anyone who is expecting to have a good meal to go some place other than McGrady's. The quality of the food was amazing but again I don't understand why it is ok to bring out such a small quantity of food and expect people to be pleased. Again, this place is very expensive and they should provide a fair amount of food for the money.
- PerfectionlichtblausVIPDined on 10/25/2014Everything about our meal was perfection. Chef Brock has put incredible flavors together that blend yet are distinct. The wine pairings were surprising yet worked every time. This is not a place for folks who love their steaks huge and their Martinis doubles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazind dining experienceRoseDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I were visiting Charleston from Tampa on a weekend getaway and chose McCrady's for a romantic dinner. Upon arrival, the hostesses were friendly and welcoming. We were early for our reservation, so we grabbed a glass of wine at the bar. The bartender was exceptionally nice and even suggested a few activites for the next day. We took her advice and had a wonderful picnic by the water with some cheese and charcuterie from Goat.Sheep.Cow. Once we sat down at our table, the rest of the meal was fantastic. I thought the fixed price menu was perfect. Dining with my husband, we were able to try almost all of the dishes, each one to die for. The service was great. Overall great experience and worth every penny.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceKobesDined on 10/23/2014The way the menu is set up with a price fix is a great way to sample what the restaurant does best. Experiment with food. Including the appetizer sampling menu is it $85.00 P/P w/o alcohol. It is pricey but the experience was worth it.Special Features:
- great dinnerlammDined on 10/22/2014beautiful location, fabulous tasting menu with locally sourced products, everything was delicious - highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gagooDined on 10/22/2014Excellent food & service, would definitely recommend to others. Each course had a great presentation "a work of art" and the the combination of flavors was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charlestontourguideDined on 10/20/2014We arrived for the love of my life's birthday celebration and were immediately seated at a quie table out of the mainstream. The service was excellent throughout the dining experience. The prix fixe menu was a delight and the food, upon arrival was excellent. The dining experience was complete. The food, the service, the charm and the history of the building made for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, small portionsPanioloDined on 10/18/2014The ambiance of McCrady's is excellent. The bar is fabulous. The food superb with the exception of the 2 desserts we had, which were just ok (a chocolate torte and berry mousse). The service was very good, but not exceptional as one member of the crew had a little difficulty remembering the construction/ingredients of the meal and our plates were swapped (there were only 2 of us). The portions are small, and after the 4 courses, I wasn't full. I'm a slim person (5'10, 150lbs :-), and at 4 servings, it should have been large enough so that I wasn't hungry at the conclusion of the meal. None the less, the food was very good and I think most foodies will be impressed with the presentation and construction of their meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always.Als1228Dined on 10/18/2014McCrady's is consistently the best meal we have in Charleston...and that says a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Benchmark ExperiencetravelingCDined on 10/18/2014This is one of those meals by which you will forever judge the continuum of dining experiences. Superb on every level. I recommend the sommelier option, which is both an excellent experience and a deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply outstanding!GallopingGourmandVIPDined on 10/17/2014As I understand it, the menu changes regularly, so there's no reason to discuss specific dishes. Having said that, each diner has a choic of roughly three appetizers, two fish dishes, three meat dishes, and three desserts. Being oenophiles, we opted for and were very impressed with the sommelier's wine pairings--they were spot on (with the possible exception of a banana liqueur paired with the banana cake, a case of overkill). Service is excellent, plate presentation is exceptional, noise level is low, and this is fine dining at it best.Special Features:
- Food over the topFlipper221Dined on 10/16/2014The food at this restaraunt was world class not something you would expect in a town this small. Each course delicately crafted with unusual tastes. And you don't leave feeling stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We took our 5 children (ages 8, 7, 5, 3, and 1) out for a birthday dinner for Dad. The menu was a bit of a surprise (4 course dinner for $65/person), but Gina our waitress was AMAZING and helped guide us through what turned out to be a lovely dinner with lots of new, interesting, flavorful, local, and seasonal foods to try. While not necessarily a "Kid-friendly" restaurant, the staff was wonderful and we felt very comfortable. A side-note, I had a cabernet from Lebanon that was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Presentation, where is flavorwinefoodguyDined on 10/15/2014We love the effort to go with local ingredients, and the food presentations were top notch. Problem was only with flavor-- there wasn't much. Very bland flavor profiles in most dishes. The descriptions were much better than the results. Appetizers were ok (crab and butternut soup, steak tartare) but the fish and main were just bland, albeit beautifully presented (in tiny portions). Not sure that this restaurant has found its groove.