McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Skokie
4999 Old Orchard Center
Old Orchard Center, Suite G8
Skokie, IL 60077Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Skokie
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/Locations/chicago-illinois/skokie-illinois/old-orchard-center.aspx
- Phone: (847) 763-9811
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: John Mcgowan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our professional staff is available to assist you in planning all of your private dining. Lunch or dinner meetings, memorable client events, festive theme parties, holiday celebrations, rehearsal dinners, bridal showers, or any special event, our versatile dining areas provide private and semi-private spaces accommodating events large and small. Our staff will work closely with you to plan a custom menu that will be sure to please all of your guests. We offer a fine selection of appetizers to create platters designed with your guests in mind.
A word from McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Skokie
Our extensive menu changes daily depending on each day's fresh seafood deliveries & in keeping with the McCormick & Schmick's tradition of offering only the freshest seafood available in season. With more than 80 preparations available, with a wide range of steaks, poultry, & vegetarian entrees on our menu each day, every guest is sure to find something to satisfy their palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Skokie reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)good for groups (53)fit for foodies (47)romantic (45)great for lunch (39)neighborhood gem (38)notable wine list (31)kid-friendly (19)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (10)great for brunch (10)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- DisappointedlovewineVIPDined on 11/22/2014It's sad to witness one of my favorite seafood restaurants slowly degrade. I've been a loyal customer for 20 years with my first visit to McCormicks at the original location in Seattle. The daily fresh catch list (no longer listed) and simple preparations were outstanding. What was once a great experience is now just an average chain seafood restaurant with mediocre food. This visit was my last. The monkfish special was just OK, with a very small piece of fish and was slightly overcooked. I was still willing to give my once favorite place a second chance but my wife's shrimp was undercooked not once, but twice (after sending back the first plate) This is the first restaurant review I've ever done, but undercooked shrimp twice?? enough said.
- Great meal.JohnVIPDined on 11/21/2014They did not have a record of our Open Table reservation. They did seat us anyway. Our waiter must have been new because he was not particularly helpful nor was he alert. In spite of that, we had a great time. and enjoyed our food and the chance to visit with friends. We will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish it was betterNiniVIPDined on 11/19/2014I was hoping for a great dinner. My signature salmon dinner was swimming in something like oil! The room was lovely, not too loud and service fine. Wish the good was better. My friend had the fried oysters and a salad and enjoyed them.Special Features:
- Good Food, Good ServiceJojo20VIPDined on 11/17/2014We liked everything about our experience here. The place itself is very attractive. The menu has lots of interesting choices, especially seafood. Our server was friendly and attentive. We had the special chef menu which consisted of soup or salad, an entrée and a dessert. Everything was very good. The dessert I had (crème brulee) was excellent. Overall this was a very pleasant dining experience and we will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/17/2014Immediately, were told when we sat down that the soup special wasn't ready for the day (crab lump). No substitutions were offered and yet our reservations were at 11:45 and we were sitting down at noon. Our waitress was ok but not very attentive. She brought out a cup of a different soup and gave it to the wrong person who really ordered a bowl of soup. We couldn't find her for five minutes so we switched and the person settled for a cup. The shrimp scampi two of us ordered had a very citrus over-powering taste and no garlic. The shrimp was good and we ate that, but we left all the pasta. When the waitress asked us if we wanted to box it up, we told her no and the reason why. She assured us that she would notify the chef. Lastly, we ordered dessert. Instead of bringing out two chocolate baskets as we ordered, the waitress only brought out one. We then waited for her to return with a second. I would have thought given the number of inconveniences we encountered, it would have some how been reflected in the bill but it wasn't. Instead, the waitress was given a $30 tip for sub-par service out of obligation and certainly not desire. This was my second time of bringing my team to this establishment and unfortunately, it will now be my last. Since this was a corporate meal, I will ensure that anyone in my organization considering taking a team meal at McCormick and Schmicks in Skokie, IL is aware of our experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014Service has always been attentive. Greeting at front desk always brisk and polite. We find the restaurant attractive and the tables well placed. Shrimp, lobster, salmon were all good and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo!GrabadinerskiVIPDined on 11/15/2014Never had a bad experience. Lobster Cobb salad is hard to beat. Mmmmmmmmmm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014This was our first time and we were grateful as Veterans to receive an invite. It was a very pleasurable expirence and would definitely recommend your company to friends and co-workers. excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AFVetDined on 11/9/2014We visit the restaurant roughly 6 times a year and have always had a pleasant experience. Although the menu describes how each seafood dish is prepared, we routinely ask for a different preparation and the kitchen accomodates our requests. This is a good restaurant for a nice evening out. However, make sure you get reservations because there is always a large walk-in crowd.Special Features:
- just okaytootsfoodiDined on 11/9/2014Pricet calamari with flat sauces. Well made cocktails. Trout was dry, over cooked. Very disappointing since M&S is known for good seafood. Had difficulty getting waiter's attention even after asking the bus to find him. We are not demanding people; it is approriate to keep an eye on your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night!eatsoutoftenDined on 11/9/2014It just so happened that the evening we were dining at McCormick & Schmick the restaurant was honoring veterans. It was a delight to see so many vets enjoying their free dinners from a special menu. My 93 year old mother, who drove an ambulance for the Red Cross during the war, received a free dessert! Such a special night! Kudos to our server, Mary, who was a joy - very attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable about the menu! We'll be back!Special Features:
- bunnies94VIPDined on 11/9/2014There were six of us and we all left contented. We were there for their Veteran's Day dinner and the restaurant could not have been more patriotic and accommodating. We were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food, service, ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2014Out server, Tashinita, though she said she was newly employed, she did a fabulous job. Great personality, radiant smile, very attentive and committed to guest/customer service. She is a keeper! She represents McCormick and Schmick's very well as she is a great "Ambassador"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOFTravelsDined on 11/9/2014Neither of us was happy with our orders. My crusted talapia was under cooked and cold at the center. The only reason I didn't send it back was because it was also tasteless. The sweet potato cuscus had so little sweet potato that I couldn't taste it. My wife's fish & chips came hot and crispy but the quality of the fish made it unappetizing. We had the flatbread appetizer and one beer. The beer was the only thing that was finished. Most of the food was left on the plates. I think that we could have had a better fish experience at McDonalds. At $62, it certainly would have been cheaper.
- special dinnerAngieGDined on 11/9/2014Service was outstanding. Food choices was great. First time eating here and I look forward to coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous in SkokieBECandidDined on 11/7/2014We had our family, a party of 13 including 2 children, decide last minute to dine out. McCormick's was ready for us. Greg was our waiter and handled the table start to finish including special orders. Fabulous service, food and ambience. We'll make a point when in town to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodReviewNicknameDined on 11/7/2014The food was outstanding. However, the service was strange.... while trying to order, the waitress was either on top of us every two minutes, or gone for 20 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spot on SundayShermanDined on 11/2/2014We 3 friends wanted a served meal at a reasonable price that was conversation friendly. All of us had clam chowder; each ordered a different type of salad. We were all pleased. At this M & S location, they have "booths" with chairs, not benches, which is very comfortable, enabling guests to sit closer or farther from the table as they wish. This was ultra conversation-friendly, but without feeling we were in a box. In a few days, 5 out-of-town guests are accompanying me to another location of M & S, and I am hopeful of an equally good outcome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent foodCabfood67Dined on 11/1/2014Food was good. I had the monkfish - a fish I have not had before - it was ok. I prefer a lighter flakier fish. I'd like to go back and try a steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK foodAKKakkVIPDined on 10/19/2014Nothing much to complain about, but nothing to crow about either. The food was acceptable, well cooked fish and sides. Soup was very good. Service was a bit weak, but I think its because our server was new. She brought out the wrong fish for my wife, but the manager corrected it immediately when it was identified and was very nice and professional about it. My last meal here was better with some interesting sauces on the fish, but this time nothing was of note. Not sure its worth the price, but maybe the chef was off that day as it was a Sunday.
- Bob1Dined on 10/17/2014Very good food, tasty, variety, interesting specials. Attractive setting. Reasonable pricing for the fine food/service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fair and over-pricedRobertVIPDined on 10/11/2014I know that McCormick and Schmicks is a chain, but that doesn't mean that the food needs to be sub-par. I had a piece of salmon. That's pretty standard fair. And something that a fish and seafood restaurant ought to be able to do well. But I must admit that it was awful. If the chef had tasted that entree before sending it out to my table, I doubt he would have sent it.Special Features:
- dinerschoiceDined on 10/6/2014Excellent food and outstanding service. Our waiter Charles was excellent. He ws very attentive and extremely helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CookieBrandtDined on 10/5/2014Prices were on the high side; portions were small. Lighting in booths was dim. The wait staff seemed inadequate for the size of the facility. We will not be going back.
- Delicious food, excellent service!GlorytaDined on 10/5/2014We are aiways very pleased with McCormick& Shimick's service overall!! Thank you!Special Features:
- Was a good experience until the endHealthyFoodieVIPDined on 10/4/2014My only complaint w/this restaurant is with the final bill. Our waiter asked if we wanted to sign up for their "member card" or something. It costs $25 so he said he would ask his manager if he could knock off 2 separate items off the bill, totaling about $19, so we figured, that's fine. The waiter never comes back, the manager did and added the membership and only took of the cheaper item off the bill and charged the card w/out seeking our approval first- which I thought was very unprofessional and rude, especially considering that we already spent over $100. I wouldn't go back there just because of that. Seems like a very sketchy business practice. I understand all the restaurants are competing for signups, but that was not the way to go.Special Features:
- very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/30/2014We enjoyed the crab tower and buttermilk oysters for appetizers. Both good but loved the oysters. wedge salad very good as well as the Ahi Tuna. It was spicy but very good. Key lime was good as well.Special Features:
- A Great PlaceJohnDined on 9/29/2014Great place for a special occasion. Food and service were excellent. Would highly recommend this restaurant. Looking forward to our next Visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!LovefoodDined on 9/29/2014Our waiter, Gregory, was superb and the food is consistently wonderful. I have been here at least twenty times and have never been disappointed. The food, service, ambience and desserts are always great. I true pleasure to dine here!Special Features:
- Good food but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/28/2014The food was very good but for the price the overall experience was lacking. The service was subpar at best and there is nothing interesting about this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/27/2014Appallingly bad service. They were unable to serve us the correct order. After waiting an hour, we walked out
- Disappointing FoodceleboutDined on 9/26/2014This visit to McCormick and Schmick's was disappointing. Our appetizer, calamari came with fried vegetables-carrots, jalapenos etc. Seemed that they wanted to "fill the plate.'' Portion sizes for the entrees were very small. As an example the "beef medallions" was ONE small filet sliced served with very salty spinach and mushrooms and 1/2 baked tomato. The N.Y. strip steak was requested with a parmesan crust and mashed potatoes. The parmesan crust looked like a potato pancake instead of the melted cheese on top of the steak. The mashed potatoes were instant. Our server was excellent and management came quickly to hear our issues - even though they denied the "instant" potatoes. We'd think twice about coming back.Special Features:
- Excellent as always...ApotheosisVIPDined on 9/24/2014Weekday dinner. The meals were excellent. the service was superb. very enjoyable evening. Even though it was late, we never felt rushed to finish. Very well played.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner dining 09/24/14LoveThisPlaceDined on 9/24/2014Went here last night w my ma and husband for his bday dinner. Should have listened to previous reviews before making reservations Let's start w the good: 1 star bc it is so aesthetically appeasing. Beautiful decor and setup 1 star: half a star for the coconut shrimp apps Half a star for my pecan crusted tilapia Now the bad: took FOREVER for our apps to come out Then, even longer for our soups and salad to come out Then, the main entrees.... Mind you, it was a Wed night reservation w about 5 other tables dining. Maybe they only had one person in the kitchen last night. Won't be back :(
- Excellent restaurantJohnVIPDined on 9/21/2014High quality food served in a friendly atmosphere. The best part was that it was quiet with no loud music blaring so we could carry on a conversation. The waitstaff was helpful and friendly. We will go back
- Good restaurant - bad parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Food was good if slightly overpriced - i.e. most entrees around $23-33 and draft beer at about $6-7 per glass). HOWEVER, this restaurant is located in Old Orchard shopping center and parking is so bad at this location we will not go back to it. I was meeting a person and it took me 10 minutes driving around to find a parking spot and it took the person I was meeting over 25 minutes to use valet parking. While the restaurant had good food, the hassle of getting to it is just too much for the reward. Try one of its other branches but not this one.
- Superb evening...ApotheosisVIPDined on 9/20/2014I've been to several M & S restaurants in California. This was my first time here in the Chicago area and I was greatly pleased as usual. My request for the type and location of our table was perfect. our server was excellent, the martinis were terrific and the food was cooked exactly as requested, which can be difficult when my date requests a medium well Filet Mignon (I know, I know, how sinful)... great place, great time and thanks for a fabulous evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgettable, at best.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Loud, poor service and overly salty food. That is once you get in... It's odd that I had to fight to get a table, when calling directly I was told the restaurant was sold out till 9:30, but I got a prime time table as soon as I tried Open Table. Why would the restaurant not even recommend trying Open Table? Why would they not even make the effort? Also wine bottles are marked up more than 300% - almost criminal. Also making kids wait almost 15 minutes for ketchup upsets everyone (parents included).
- Phenomenal PhishmracquireDined on 9/19/2014Although on the pricey side, McCormick & Schmick excels at serving tasty, quality fish entrees so the value for your dollar is good. Appetizers, sides, and desserts are equally delicious as are the steaks if you fancy a meat or combo steak/fish dish. My only disappointment was the bland bread. If the restaurant is listening, I would recommend substituting a French bread loaf and/or rolls.Special Features:
- my fish wasn't freshOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014I had ordered the flounder---it had a stale smell--there was no sweetness and the capers were stale and hard. I should have returned it but didn't wish a fuss. My spouses salmon was quite good.Special Features: