McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Chicago
41 East Chestnut Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/Chicago
- Phone: 3123979500x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Michael Wallach
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Chicago
Located in Chicago's famous "Gold Coast," McCormick & Schmick's Seafood & Steaks on Chestnut / Rush Street is close to shopping, hotels, bars, the famous Chicago Water Tower and the Magnificent Mile. It is the ideal location to spend an evening out on the town of Chicago.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (49)fit for foodies (43)neighborhood gem (41)good for groups (40)romantic (36)great for lunch (26)notable wine list (20)vibrant bar scene (18)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (14)scenic view (12)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (8)Show More
- good but...theatreguyVIPDined on 10/28/2014I've dined at this restaurant chain in other cities. This one in the Gold Coast is very nice and certainly well located. Waiter - a little too buddy-buddy for me (but I would rather have that small fault than being ignored). Clam chowder - a little too salty but good otherwise. Entree tillapia very well prepared - a nice portion with very good beans/carrots and couscous. Then we get to dessert, which was to be the third course in this "meal deal" (very reasonably priced). I asked the waiter, "Which dessert do I want?" (Two choices were offered but I couldn't remember what they were.) He responded, "You definitely want the apple pie." The pie was good but an addition $9.99 which the waiter didn't mention. I hate deception.
- A waterfront gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014The restaurant overlooks the Chicago River, giving splendid views. The steaks (Cajun in particular) are superb, seafood not bad either. The only complaint:we asked whether the crab cake was spicy before ordering for our nine year old granddaughter, and were told it wasn't. It arrived, over salted and quite spicy. I told the waiter, however, although the crab cake went back uneaten, we were still charged for it. Other than that, the service was good, the wine excellent and the food up to standard. We have eaten at the restaurant of the same name in New York, but gather that these are now separate ventures. The menu isn't quite up to New York, but all the same, the choice is quite good.Special Features:
- Service better than food and drinksMtlvisitorDined on 10/26/2014The service was well-meaning and competent enough from our server, whose banter was light and appropriate, although ignorant about the actual ingredients in a special dish! While the food ranged from OK to not-bad-at-all, the dry martinis were horrible!Special Features:
- great plates and service, too!PointShopperDined on 10/25/2014As expected, fine food, and service was fast and helpful. Great seafood. We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deserves a returnDocDeeDined on 10/25/2014Our waiter was friendly and efficient! Food was perfectly prepared. We were party of 6 and they gave us private table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lobster bisqueNickyDined on 10/24/2014The lobster bisque is the best!! A must order! The overall food was good but not the best I had except for the bisque. The service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Know it all waiterTCHUTCHI1VIPDined on 10/21/2014The waiter was nice, but was giving already known information to us about wines and food. I feel that he should have asked questions to see what we knew instead of assuming. Worst part that I had left overs and he put my salad, entrée, and other persons items in the same container! Some items were cold and some warm. WOW!Special Features:
- Somewhat dissappointiElTigreDined on 10/19/2014Expected at least a Ditka's or Gene or Georgetti's quality steak. Instead, "no bone-in ribeye" and the ribeye, and "crab tower" we got were just ok. The waiter dragged his feet after we told him we wanted to catch a show in 1hr & 15 min.Special Features:
- Good varietySRDuncanDined on 10/18/2014We got a last minute reservation; found an great variety of seafood and various preparations. Miso prepared scallops were particularly nice. And the upside down Apple pie very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingRivaDined on 10/18/2014This was our first time dining at this location and we will be back! Our server, Jeremy, was spot on from the drinks, appetizers as well as main course. Luv'd it!Special Features:
- Failed Birthday Celebration for 3devo1stDined on 10/18/2014We as a group of friends wanted to celebrate the life of 3 people and the night was a failure. The drinks took 20 mins to obtain, while sitting at the table, the bread was cold. The group ordered pre-dinner meals and that took forever, even a simple salad came out for one of the group members after ever body else had completed there pre-dinner meal. We asked the server (Winston) whom tried to make everything better and we continued to explain to him that it wasn't his fault, to allow us the chance to order are food, because we didn't want to wait a very long time for the main meal. I asked to speak with the General Manager, he approached us and listened to my claim but his respond was, the bar was very busy and all will be okay.Special Features:
- DisappointedJenBaronVIPDined on 10/17/2014Sadly I was pretty disappointed. This place was far more expensive than expected, which would have been fine if the food would have been worth it. I love lobster bisque but their version was much too salty and just ok. For the price, not acceptable. Then my entree came. Medallions of beef in a bourbonais sauce with spinach and mushrooms. Spinach and mushrooms WAY over salted! Most disappointing was the bourbonais sauce! It tasted Burnt! The meat itself was prepared well but a bit tasteless, tho maybe I just couldn't get over the burnt sauce? In fairness, the waiter comped the dinner. But it was too late, I was done with this meal. FAR too much money for the quality of food. And the service was far too slow!.Will not be returning!!
- Great for a small party!francescoDined on 10/15/2014McCormick & Schmick's offers a secluded area with a table for 6 to celebrate in private. The menu and winelist are very good, everything you need for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Don't Write Reviews...but...ConstantlySatisfiedDined on 10/12/2014I've been to McCormick & Schmick's Seafood a few times now, and it consistently delivers for a restaurant chain. Being from Florida, it's always nice to know there is a place in Chicago to get quality seafood. This weekend was especially enjoyable, the steak was wonderful, and the Swordfish was amazing. Our server, Amanda, was super friendly and willing to cater to our every need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably good food and service.RestaurantMavenDined on 10/10/2014McC & S is a nice, not too trendy restaurant known for fish but w/varied menu choices. It doesn't have a chain ambiance and the overall quality is high. My dinner, salmon with a pear/ginger glaze, was very good, the fish a little overdone for me but tasty. My companion had "the best lobster bisque I've ever had," and whitefish that was also declared to be wonderful. Our dessert tasted good but had temperature issues. Strawberry ice cream pie on a honey-granola crust was frozen too hard, so difficult to eat. The cappuccinos were generously sized, but lukewarm. Our table was in a high-ceilinged room which kept the noise volume down to a fairly conversation-friendly level. Even better for a larger party is one of the curtained booths.
- Busy but worth the waitTylerDined on 10/10/2014We dined here on Chicago Marathon weekend - very busy - slight wait for food - understandable - a terrific restaurant with terrific food.Special Features:
- Solid choice all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/8/2014I met a friend visiting from out of town here for dinner. The hostess was friendly and our waitress was great (Shaina ?). The menu offered a nice variety, the food was really good with sufficient portions, the drinks were tasty and the atmosphere was comfortable for business or pleasure. With a drink, an app, a salad and a mid-priced entree, my bill was just under $60 which I thought was reasonable. All around, this was a solid choice and I definitely plan to be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, bad serviceFrankMDined on 10/4/2014Had my 10th wedding anniversary, I wanted to get my wife a good dinner. Unfortunately the place was really dark, the waitress was naive and unfriendly to a point where she's giving me suggestions that didn't make any sense at all. Just because my wife wanted to get dessert from somewhere else the waitress threw the bill on the table and then hurried up. And on top of it she tried to over charge us on wine that we didn't get. Saturday night and the place was almost empty. I won't be visiting or eating at this environment again. Very disappointed with McCormick and Schmidt's. I went to the one in Atlantic City and the service was great, I wanted to try it again but when I was in Chicago. Apparently the one in Chicago is horrible.
- luvjanDined on 10/3/2014It was my wife's Birthday, and I selected this restaurant because it will never disappoint you. The Food and service is the best.Special Features:
- Worth itMaidmarrynDined on 10/3/2014I haven't been to M & S in several years but was quite impressed with the entire experience overall. Three of us dined and each had a different entree and all were wonderful. I am not a big salmon fan, but the preparation for the king salmon was excellent and would gladly order it again. The ahi tuna steak melted in your mouth. I didn't try the other fish entree but it was reportedly wonderful as well. The ambiance is very nice, as is the service. Not a single complaint. Highly recommend going there for fresh fish.Special Features:
- Changed.., & not for the betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/21/2014The service was very poor. I was brought two entres that were not mine. When my food came., it wasn't anything special. I ate only about a fourth of what was on the plate. I told my waiter my fish didn't have flavor.., no reply. The history of the restaurant name doesn't reflect to their food.Special Features:
- A little disappointing.md80guyDined on 9/20/2014Ordered a filet and lobster tail. The filet, although cooked properly, was tasteless. The lobster tail was prepared in such a way that whatever method they used to cook it, and in what, killed what flavor a lobster naturally has. Ordered a blue cheese salad. Salad was soggy, blue cheese taste was missing.
- ABdiningoutVIPDined on 9/17/2014Our waiter was nice & tried hard-just messed everything up&talked wayyyy too much to us!He kind of had NO CLUE what was doing!We left him a good tip-just annoyed&didn't do what should've:(I come very often&also spend a lot!Extremely dissatisfied this visit. We even had to go things&he said they ran out of tips for the containers&as it was the soup was ALL over the car!:(Not to mention..other food was NOT closed tight enough&was a TOTAL mess.We spent around $300&was NOT even close to how should've been!Brought out food in absolute worst order&forgot appetizer 2x!Then while was finishing salad asked numerous times if could bring out main dish-it's ready responded saying im slow eater, but brought out anyway&took salad wasn't done eating away!I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMIC1Dined on 9/13/2014While service and atmosphere were fairly good, I was very disappointed with my meal (chef's special Chilean sea bass). The fish was simply NOT fresh! I have had Chilean sea bass quite a few times in the past and have prepared it myself. I am therefore very familiar with its taste. It never occurred to me a restaurant that specializes in seafood would serve a fish with "fishy" taste. I should point out my wife's meal ( I believe crusted walleye) was fresh and delicious. Regrettably I cannot recommend this restaurant to anyone and will not be planning another meal there myself.
- Consistently goodfashionableVIPDined on 9/13/2014While we had a taste for seafood, we also wanted pasta...so, here we were able to have both. The pasta dishes give you a combination that is light and tasty without the pasta hangover. The service was outstanding and is consistently good here, the food well prepared, and the cocktail selection is choice. It's nice to have just what you want whenever you come in. They also have a fantastic happy hour menu that we enjoy every now and then too. Personable bartenders, great service and a great selection of bar food. You can't go wrong here. The service is outstanding from everyone. If you go for happy hour or lunch, don't miss the fish tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PassBtravelerDined on 9/13/2014This is not a very good steak and seafood place. Service was not good and the steaks were mediocre at best. 3 people and a total waste of $200
- RockRadDined on 9/11/2014Food and drinks were excellent (as usual). The Sangria was outrageous! Staff extremely attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place. Great menu.StephsDined on 9/10/2014Always joy our dinners here wonderful staff excellent foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014Food was good but not great. Two of the three fish dishes were slightly overdone and therefore drier than should be especially in light of the prices. Service though was excellent, even though the waiter had a couple of very large groups to handle at the same time.Special Features:
- Big snoozeBurlingtonBayDined on 9/5/2014This concept needs a serious rejuvenation. It is bland looking, unexciting and boring. The server was efficient and professional but "canned" in her approach. The food was good however.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have picked a better placeLAtraveleDined on 9/5/2014A "get together" lunch was made even better with their great food and exceptional service. Highly recommend them for a leisurely lunch with old friends.Special Features:
- Great Meal & AmbiancejfergDined on 8/31/2014We were looking for a place with great food and quiet surroundings as we wanted to visit. This restaurant fit our needs to the utmost. We had a hard time deciding on which food to order! We were able to talk freely as we requested some place quiet and were given a private booth. Everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice night outNicscravings21Dined on 8/29/2014Went on a friday night food was good Strong drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!JorgeDined on 8/29/2014Well, it is is McCormick. So, it is a good warranty. In this case the walnut salad was not so good as expected, but the pesto pasta (recommendation from our waiter), compensated big time. Special kudos to Bertha, our waitress. Even she was on training, she was very charming, knowledgable about the menu, and with a smile and a brilliant comment!Special Features:
- Good food. Great service.OTRegularVIPDined on 8/26/2014Occasionally when I travel on business I wind up having dinner solo, and M&S is usually a good pick. Tuesday night in Chicago it turned out to be a great choice. The food--wedge salad and rainbow trout almondine--and drink--a perfect Sapphire martini and a very drinkable house Merlot--were excellent. And the staff were exceptional. They seated me at a quiet table where I could read and dine at my own pace, thanks to my waiter, who attended to all my requests and never rushed me: He didn't bring the wine until I was done with the martini; or serve dinner until I was done with the salad. It all added up to a very pleasant 2 hours that made just another evening on the road something a little special.
- Good Quality Food Reasonable PricePeterRDined on 8/26/2014The branch of McCormick and Schmicks on Chestnut in Chicago met our expectations, with good quality food at a reasonable price. Some excellent fish choices. The staff were welcoming and friendly and knew their dishes. The restaurant wasn't very busy the night we went, a Tuesday evening, but they had a steady turnover of guests. I can recommend the restaurant to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TilapiaxenobiaVIPDined on 8/24/2014While I have been to McCormick & Schmick's on Chestnut quite a number of times, this last visit was not quite as memorable. My piece of tilapia was less than desirable and was served lukewarm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Service ehhhlitoswayDined on 8/23/2014Long story short - my wife and I love seafood...unfortunately we have a child with shellfish allergies. The times we get out without the kids, seafood is typically on the top of our list! The food was good, enjoyable. Unfortunately the service left something to be desired. Our server seemed to forget us for a bit - which is surprising when the restaurant wasn't especially busy, and some of the staff conversation that we overheard was inappropriate. It dampened our night a bit.Special Features:
- Not what it used to bemelikesushiVIPDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I used to eat here frequently when we lived in the city, so we were excited to go back after several years. It is not what it used to be. My shrimp scampi was in a sauce that more closely resembled an alfredo sauce, the apple crisp dessert was not nearly as good as I remembered, and the service was very spotty. Our waiter was attentive yet seemed to always be forgetting to bring something. It was a Saturday night at 7 pm and more than 1/2 the restaurant was empty…not a good sign.
- Romantic evening!LovesfoodDined on 8/23/2014We had a romantic booth to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The food and service were excellent and the evening flowed so nicely. Everything arrived on time and the Ahi Tuna was perfect as was my wife's Parmesan chicken. The Key Lime for desert was as good as any we've had in Sarasota. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.