McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Chicago
41 East Chestnut Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/Chicago
- Phone: (312) 397-9500
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Michael Wallach
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Chicago
Located in Chicago's famous "Gold Coast," McCormick & Schmick's Seafood & Steaks on Chestnut / Rush Street is close to shopping, hotels, bars, the famous Chicago Water Tower and the Magnificent Mile. It is the ideal location to spend an evening out on the town of Chicago.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
McCormick & Schmick's Seafood - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (59)good for groups (50)fit for foodies (49)neighborhood gem (43)romantic (40)great for lunch (31)vibrant bar scene (21)notable wine list (21)hot spot (17)great for outdoor dining (17)late-night find (11)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (11)Show More
- LauraDined on 11/15/2014our server was very friendly and when we experienced a problem with the drink she promptly took care of it and the got us a new one. The manager even came over to personally check on us and ensure we were having a good time. The artichoke ravioli was so flavorful and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veteran's AppreciationRobertVIPDined on 11/9/2014I salute this Restaurant for honoring Veterans and thank them for their service to us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much for planning aheadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014When I made the reservation I mentioned it was my boyfriends birthday and I was surprising him a fun evening. When I called to confirm I mentioned again it was his birthday and heard they write the birthday persons name on menu and provide a dessert. I also asked for a nice table and they said they would put me down for a window seat. When we got there the window seats were taken and they did not have knowledge of his birthday. So no special menu but we did get a dessert at the end. The other problem was on our main course some of the seafood was cold. We had the mixed grill. The waitress was wonderful but we were disappointed in the mix up of table and birthday knowledge.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!!johnnyMacDined on 11/9/2014Amazing food, amazing service. Need I say more? The seafood creations are truly unique and always delicious. Cooked just right and arrives at the perfect temperature. I can't wait till the next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner and excellent servicecvilleDined on 11/9/2014The food was good as always and the service was excellent. I have eaten at several of their locations around the US and this restaurant was as good as the others. I enjoy the decor. The food prices seemed a little better than other competitors in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vets n familyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Wife ,daughter , and son , all veterans Vietnam , desert storm and Iraq.We have visited you for birthdays and other special occasions. Everything there enhances the moment. Thank you we will be back soon !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waldmkaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Ordered mussles, Parmesan Crusted Flounder, and Pretzel Crusted Whitefish. The food was outstanding, but there was only one waitress and so the service wasn't as good.Special Features:
- A++simoneswDined on 11/7/2014The waiter was nice and the food was very good! I will be back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceCarolDined on 11/6/2014The food was superb. Michael (sales marketer) was so fantastic. Jeremy our server was great! Perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the greatestSioConnellanDined on 11/4/2014I've been to other McCormick & Schmick's and love the brand but this one fell short. Service was OUTSTANDING. But the food was disappointing. Steaks were not cooked correctly. My friend ordered the scallops and got 4 that were barely big enough to qualify as ocean scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Bit DisappointingVikkiFromMilwaukeeVIPDined on 11/4/2014Our waiter was wonderful and the food was great, but this location seems to have a problem in the kitchen when they are extremely busy. You would think that a downtown Chicago restaurant would be accustomed to dealing with large crowds because of the influx of visitors due to trade shows, but it seem they haven't gotten it together yet. The kitchen seems to have a problem getting food out in a timely manner when they are really busy. We have experienced the same problem over and over again through the years, but we keep trying it out hoping it has gotten better. It's too bad really, because the food is very good, when you finally get it......I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shoddy serviceSceltoDined on 11/3/2014My group and I often had empty glasses and had to 20 minutes for a glass of wine. The server absent for extended periods of time, and seemed to be very poorly trained with his "gangsta" style of talking to his customers really being quite inappropriate for the overseas visitors I had visiting with me. This was my third visit, but will be my last. There are just too many other places competing with them that, quite frankly, do a better job of making me feel like my money was well spent.Special Features:
- joyful eatery1inmybookDined on 11/2/2014They do a fantastic job on all their plates. The lobster bisque is fantastic and well worth trying. Easy location to get to and there is parking available if you don't want to use the valet. The crab salad is a meal by itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmittyDined on 11/2/2014Very relaxing dinner after a tradeshow. I had the bar-b-que shrimp and grits and it was delicious! The wait staff was very friendly and attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing over-allditzydinerDined on 11/1/2014Our party of four had a disappointing experience. Food was really quite good, but service was erratic (at times annoying). Tables were too close together. (There were some cozy-looking booths, but we weren't lucky enough to get one of those.) Our table quickly became awkwardly crowded with over-sized menus and tableware that was not efficiently removed when no longer needed. Overall effect was touristy and disorganized. Because of the food (seafood was fresh and tastily prepared), I would probably give it one more try, but not on a Saturday night.
- Food LoverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Good atmosphere. Didn't particularly like what I choose to order, but I have had great food at M&S in the past, would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great serviceDisappointedVIPDined on 10/29/2014The miso scallops were amazing as was the cauliflower that accompanied it. We had wonderful service as well. My husband ordered the blackened whitefish and he loved it but it was a little on the fishy side for me.Special Features:
- good but...theatreguyVIPDined on 10/28/2014I've dined at this restaurant chain in other cities. This one in the Gold Coast is very nice and certainly well located. Waiter - a little too buddy-buddy for me (but I would rather have that small fault than being ignored). Clam chowder - a little too salty but good otherwise. Entree tillapia very well prepared - a nice portion with very good beans/carrots and couscous. Then we get to dessert, which was to be the third course in this "meal deal" (very reasonably priced). I asked the waiter, "Which dessert do I want?" (Two choices were offered but I couldn't remember what they were.) He responded, "You definitely want the apple pie." The pie was good but an addition $9.99 which the waiter didn't mention. I hate deception.
- A waterfront gemgreedygourmetDined on 10/26/2014The restaurant overlooks the Chicago River, giving splendid views. The steaks (Cajun in particular) are superb, seafood not bad either. The only complaint:we asked whether the crab cake was spicy before ordering for our nine year old granddaughter, and were told it wasn't. It arrived, over salted and quite spicy. I told the waiter, however, although the crab cake went back uneaten, we were still charged for it. Other than that, the service was good, the wine excellent and the food up to standard. We have eaten at the restaurant of the same name in New York, but gather that these are now separate ventures. The menu isn't quite up to New York, but all the same, the choice is quite good.Special Features:
- Service better than food and drinksMtlvisitorDined on 10/26/2014The service was well-meaning and competent enough from our server, whose banter was light and appropriate, although ignorant about the actual ingredients in a special dish! While the food ranged from OK to not-bad-at-all, the dry martinis were horrible!Special Features:
- Meh.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Everything started out fine but went downhill after the first, second, and then third soup was delivered. The first and second one were not hot, actually they were barely even luke warm. From that point on the server was distant and sparse. The food was decent but nothing that would make us run back.
- great plates and service, too!PointShopperDined on 10/25/2014As expected, fine food, and service was fast and helpful. Great seafood. We will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deserves a returnDocDeeDined on 10/25/2014Our waiter was friendly and efficient! Food was perfectly prepared. We were party of 6 and they gave us private table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lobster bisqueNickyDined on 10/24/2014The lobster bisque is the best!! A must order! The overall food was good but not the best I had except for the bisque. The service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Know it all waiterTCHUTCHI1VIPDined on 10/21/2014The waiter was nice, but was giving already known information to us about wines and food. I feel that he should have asked questions to see what we knew instead of assuming. Worst part that I had left overs and he put my salad, entrée, and other persons items in the same container! Some items were cold and some warm. WOW!Special Features:
- Somewhat dissappointiElTigreDined on 10/19/2014Expected at least a Ditka's or Gene or Georgetti's quality steak. Instead, "no bone-in ribeye" and the ribeye, and "crab tower" we got were just ok. The waiter dragged his feet after we told him we wanted to catch a show in 1hr & 15 min.Special Features:
- Locked out and coldFoodieDined on 10/19/2014I had a 11am reservation for Sunday brunch. When I arrived the doors were locked. I waited to almost 11:30 am to get in, being told no one had keys to open doors. Once inside it took a minute for someone to greet me at my table. I ordered and when my food was served, everything was COLD!. I was very disappointed since I planned this brunch for weeks knowing I would be traveling to the Chicago area. Would I go again, not sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good varietySRDuncanVIPDined on 10/18/2014We got a last minute reservation; found an great variety of seafood and various preparations. Miso prepared scallops were particularly nice. And the upside down Apple pie very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingRivaDined on 10/18/2014This was our first time dining at this location and we will be back! Our server, Jeremy, was spot on from the drinks, appetizers as well as main course. Luv'd it!Special Features:
- Failed Birthday Celebration for 3devo1stDined on 10/18/2014We as a group of friends wanted to celebrate the life of 3 people and the night was a failure. The drinks took 20 mins to obtain, while sitting at the table, the bread was cold. The group ordered pre-dinner meals and that took forever, even a simple salad came out for one of the group members after ever body else had completed there pre-dinner meal. We asked the server (Winston) whom tried to make everything better and we continued to explain to him that it wasn't his fault, to allow us the chance to order are food, because we didn't want to wait a very long time for the main meal. I asked to speak with the General Manager, he approached us and listened to my claim but his respond was, the bar was very busy and all will be okay.Special Features:
- DisappointedJenBaronVIPDined on 10/17/2014Sadly I was pretty disappointed. This place was far more expensive than expected, which would have been fine if the food would have been worth it. I love lobster bisque but their version was much too salty and just ok. For the price, not acceptable. Then my entree came. Medallions of beef in a bourbonais sauce with spinach and mushrooms. Spinach and mushrooms WAY over salted! Most disappointing was the bourbonais sauce! It tasted Burnt! The meat itself was prepared well but a bit tasteless, tho maybe I just couldn't get over the burnt sauce? In fairness, the waiter comped the dinner. But it was too late, I was done with this meal. FAR too much money for the quality of food. And the service was far too slow!.Will not be returning!!
- Great for a small party!francescoDined on 10/15/2014McCormick & Schmick's offers a secluded area with a table for 6 to celebrate in private. The menu and winelist are very good, everything you need for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Don't Write Reviews...but...ConstantlySatisfiedDined on 10/12/2014I've been to McCormick & Schmick's Seafood a few times now, and it consistently delivers for a restaurant chain. Being from Florida, it's always nice to know there is a place in Chicago to get quality seafood. This weekend was especially enjoyable, the steak was wonderful, and the Swordfish was amazing. Our server, Amanda, was super friendly and willing to cater to our every need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably good food and service.RestaurantMavenDined on 10/10/2014McC & S is a nice, not too trendy restaurant known for fish but w/varied menu choices. It doesn't have a chain ambiance and the overall quality is high. My dinner, salmon with a pear/ginger glaze, was very good, the fish a little overdone for me but tasty. My companion had "the best lobster bisque I've ever had," and whitefish that was also declared to be wonderful. Our dessert tasted good but had temperature issues. Strawberry ice cream pie on a honey-granola crust was frozen too hard, so difficult to eat. The cappuccinos were generously sized, but lukewarm. Our table was in a high-ceilinged room which kept the noise volume down to a fairly conversation-friendly level. Even better for a larger party is one of the curtained booths.
- Busy but worth the waitTylerDined on 10/10/2014We dined here on Chicago Marathon weekend - very busy - slight wait for food - understandable - a terrific restaurant with terrific food.Special Features:
- Solid choice all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/8/2014I met a friend visiting from out of town here for dinner. The hostess was friendly and our waitress was great (Shaina ?). The menu offered a nice variety, the food was really good with sufficient portions, the drinks were tasty and the atmosphere was comfortable for business or pleasure. With a drink, an app, a salad and a mid-priced entree, my bill was just under $60 which I thought was reasonable. All around, this was a solid choice and I definitely plan to be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, bad serviceFrankMDined on 10/4/2014Had my 10th wedding anniversary, I wanted to get my wife a good dinner. Unfortunately the place was really dark, the waitress was naive and unfriendly to a point where she's giving me suggestions that didn't make any sense at all. Just because my wife wanted to get dessert from somewhere else the waitress threw the bill on the table and then hurried up. And on top of it she tried to over charge us on wine that we didn't get. Saturday night and the place was almost empty. I won't be visiting or eating at this environment again. Very disappointed with McCormick and Schmidt's. I went to the one in Atlantic City and the service was great, I wanted to try it again but when I was in Chicago. Apparently the one in Chicago is horrible.
- luvjanDined on 10/3/2014It was my wife's Birthday, and I selected this restaurant because it will never disappoint you. The Food and service is the best.Special Features:
- Worth itMaidmarrynVIPDined on 10/3/2014I haven't been to M & S in several years but was quite impressed with the entire experience overall. Three of us dined and each had a different entree and all were wonderful. I am not a big salmon fan, but the preparation for the king salmon was excellent and would gladly order it again. The ahi tuna steak melted in your mouth. I didn't try the other fish entree but it was reportedly wonderful as well. The ambiance is very nice, as is the service. Not a single complaint. Highly recommend going there for fresh fish.Special Features:
- Changed.., & not for the betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/21/2014The service was very poor. I was brought two entres that were not mine. When my food came., it wasn't anything special. I ate only about a fourth of what was on the plate. I told my waiter my fish didn't have flavor.., no reply. The history of the restaurant name doesn't reflect to their food.Special Features: