McCoole's Red Lion Inn
4 South Main Street
Quakertown, PA 18951Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McCoole's Red Lion Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mccoolesredlioninn.com/
- Phone: (215) 538-1776
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm; Happy Hour: Tuesday - Thursday 4-6pm, Fridays 4-6 & 9-11, Saturdays 3-5 & 9-11, Sundays 3-5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dan Orr
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Jan Hench 2155381779
- Entertainment: McCoole's has live music for dinner entertainment on Friday and Saturday. Trivia every Tuesday in the bar from 8-10pm. Visit mccoolesredlioninn.com for complete entertainment schedule.
- Cross Street: Broad Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: For your convenience McCoole's has establised three designated areas for parking: Take advantage of our newly paved parking lot located behind the restaurant. There is a large lot located at McCoole's Arts and Events place next to the restaurant. The Quakertown Historical Society offers parking for McCoole's patrons located one block from the restaurant on North Main Street.
A word from McCoole's Red Lion Inn
Upscale Atmosphere For a Working Person's Wallet. As a historic building in Quakertown, McCoole's encompasses historical elegance with casual comfort. Seating available in the Main Dining Room, Martini Lounge & in the Bar. Come enjoy a little history in an eclectic atmosphere, with great food at a great price!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
McCoole's Red Lion Inn - Best Restaurants in Quakertown ›
McCoole's Red Lion Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)good for groups (26)great for outdoor dining (22)fit for foodies (19)great for lunch (18)special occasion (17)romantic (16)hot spot (11)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014We enjoyed our meal but the staff needs to step up their game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Food and atmosphere were great. Waited over an hour for a seven o'clock reservation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. We come here several times a year.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014We were celebrating our anniversary and love McCooles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor servicemff3Dined on 11/12/2014We made a reservation here and were seated right away. At the beginning our server was great, friendly and attentive. It was our first and last time trying mcooles. After we ordered, our appetizers took 45 minutes to come out. We had seen our waitress attending other tables that were sat after us and didn't even check on us or refill our water that another server had brought to us. Our food took another 45 minutes to come out despite tasting delicious. We felt our server completely neglected us as we did not see her again until 15 minutes after we finished our meal. She quickly asked for coffee or desert and brought our check. She did not thank us or apologize for the wait.
- Waiting Despite ReservationslikestoeatDined on 11/8/2014We have met friends at McCoole's several times in the past and have always been very happy with the service and the food. Unfortunately, Saturday evening's experience was disappointing. Evidently diners at several tables prior to our 6:30 pm reservation time chose to linger at their table after finishing their meals causing a backup in the main entry area, which is quite small. We, along with at least two other groups who had 6:30 reservations, were left to wait in this small space. After 30 minutes, we were offered a table in the bar area; but declined since they are the higher bar tables. We were finally seated after 40 minutes, again with just an apology. Perhaps a complimentary drink/appetizer would have been in order!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceschmoogDined on 11/4/2014We went to McCoole's for a birthday dinner. 7 of us attended. Our service was fabulous and the in-house beer delicious. We were not rushed at all. Love that they added the 20% tip right into the bill. It made paying with a group much easier.Special Features:
- Fun Place, Fine FoodElroydiner189Dined on 11/2/2014A casual atmosphere in a historic building. Menu pricing is right with the national chains on Rt. 309 but with a nicer twist. We'll have to try it again when the theatre is open and make it a complete evening.Special Features:
- Good, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/2/2014This is about the 3rd time I have eaten here. The menu selection is good and the service was excellent. I ordered the McCoole's salad and lobster bisque. The soup was alittle too salty for my taste but was good. I loved the salad, very fresh ingredients, but I did not like the dressing (too much vinegar). I asked for a different dressing and it was promptly brought. Finally we ordered the special dessert which was pumpkin pie with ginger snap crust and whipped cream. It was very good - however I feel $8 is a little pricey for a piece of pie! I will dine here sometime in the future but it is not high on my list of places to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic restaurantmissprimmDined on 10/30/2014We enjoy McCoole's Red Lion Inn even though we travel one hour to reach Quakertown. Since most of our friends are in that area, we find the Red Lion is a perfect place to meet, enjoy the food and visit . We love the ambiance and are very pleased with the food. At our most recent visit, the lobster bisque was wonderful as were the scallops. My husband tried the signature Manhattan made with Rogue Dead Man whiskey and was very pleased. We will come back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lassie ate hereHellosusie2501Dined on 10/26/2014We had a lovely family dinner at McCoole's Red Lion Inn in Quakertown. The building is 30 years old. Lots of atmosphere. The author of the Lassie stories was a frequent diner and often brought his Collie along. That dog was the model for Lassie. Prices were moderate......except for dessert....surprisingly high!Special Features:
- Fun night outSLAMDined on 10/25/2014Felt like we had really gone somewhere! The bar was lots of fun, lots of action, pleasant crowd and friendly bartender. The restaurant has a great atmosphere , very authentic , we had a very nice server and the menu was varied enough that each person in our group was able to get what they wanted. The place was loud enough that we weren't uncomfortable laughing, but not so loud we couldn't hear each other. Loved the lady playing piano, just added to a fun night. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceADB44Dined on 10/19/2014The one thing that makes any restaurant memorable for me is the ambiance. McCooles combines great food with a warm inviting feel at a historic location. That pretty much covers all the bases for me! Everything we ordered from appetizers to dessert was fantastic, and everyone there seemed friendly (both the servers and the customers!) Definitely a great find for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful nightjrtweed123Dined on 10/7/2014Great food. Excellent service. A wonderful place for any occasion; a romantic evening, working dinner, a quick late evening snack, we were pressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sisters nightliv2eatDined on 10/5/2014McCoole's Red Lion Inn is basically the halfway point between my sister's house and mine. We had been there before but with kids and while I don't recommend bringing young kids, I highly recommend it for adults. Great food and beer list, good service, decent atmosphere. I had the crab cakes, mac & cheese, and squash and all were very good. I do not remember what my sister had but I know she enjoyed her dinner as well.Special Features:
- More than I expectedtufbutfairDined on 10/4/2014Highly recommend to anyone looking for an enjoyable meal and experience. 1st, I booked my reservation 45 minutes before arriving. Upon arrival to a packed lot and a line out the door, we were seated IMMEDIATELY. Server appeared tired, was clearly busy but was pleasant. I asked for recommendations. She made several. The setting was exactly what you'd expect from a "historical inn". Interesting views in every direction. It was quite loud... to be expected on a busy Saturday night. Our meals were excellent... steaks cooked perfect to order. The pianist a delightful "little old lady" played with spirit and even allowed a few patrons to sing with her. Music wasn't my 1st choice, but still appealing. Will DEFINATELY return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Dining Experience!KeithBergey13Dined on 10/3/2014We've been here numerous times before for Lunch and Dinner....Every time we have visited we have had Great prompt service, Menu has Great selections to choose from. Awesome Dinner Specials with variety. Beautiful old time woodwork, walls, floors. Makes you feel like you are dining with History! A totally awesome dinner and dining experience.Special Features:
- Best in Quakertown maybe Bucks Co.WorldtravelerDined on 10/1/2014Because of the old world charm, this is one of my go to spots for my European visitors. The food selection, quality, and service is excellent. My other 2 are Spinnerstown Inn and Jamison Publick house. If you enjoy eating at either of these you will love Red Lion Inn.Special Features:
- luv2eatDined on 9/27/2014Waitress was very busy with many tables, but was able to make sure we had our orders quickly, very friendly, important to us, makes our visit more pleasant. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerSchmittyDined on 9/23/2014We visit McCoole's frequently. We love the atmosphere and food there. It was my wife's b'day so we wanted to celebrate it there. We both had their fantastic crab cakes. They are the best around. The service and food are always good there. The Pasta Pot is another great choice for dinner. Best of all is we always use open table to reserve a table. It's nice to just walk in and be seated. Great place.Special Features:
- Everything was great.Live2dineDined on 9/20/2014Great experience all around.......food service and atmosphere. My husband had the eggplant and I had the scampi. Both were delicious. I would go back.Special Features:
- LiketoeatoutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014We made reservations for Friday night at 6:45, , but still had to wait about 20 minutes before being seated. We were given the menus and water (we did not have alcoholic drinks), and asked if we were in a hurry, (we were not) however then our order wasn't taken for at least another 15 minutes.... We were actually hoping to get our order in quickly so it wouldn't be too late of a night. Food was tasty and presentation was appetizing. I ordered broccoli but received squash, one other in our party had ordered the spare ribs, which she felt were tough and she barely ate any of it. The salmon was excellent as well as the Tournedos de Cognac! Very noisy this particular evening which made it hard to talk/hear with our out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchJustDaveDined on 9/19/2014Fish tacos with snapper where outstanding as was the accompanying rive with black bean sauce. Portion perfect for lunch.Special Features:
- we come here at least once a monthlovemcoolesmarlo350zDined on 9/5/2014PLEASE NOTE...MY NAME IS MARY LOU CAPPARELL. I put the reservations in on glenn's name cuz it's easier to spell. I come here with my girlfriends after Rice's Market. I bring my daughter and her hubby here. And my grandkids love sitting outside, when it's nice out. Obviously...I love it here! a great pour of Barefoot, fabulous food...Special Features:
- Wonderful night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The food and service were exceptional. We met nice people there and loved listening to Rita play the piano. She was fantastic and made our dining all that more enjoyable. Melissa was a great waitress! Thank you for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!XqchsstudentDined on 8/30/2014Great meeting place for friends. Were able to accommodate persons with celiac with large selection of gluten free items. Reasonably priced. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Love their homemade cheesecakes, especially the special one made daily!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A McCoole Place To EatSteadyeddieVIPDined on 8/12/2014I've had lunch numerous times at McCoole's Red Lion Inn, and the restaurant has never failed to deliver. It ain't trendy and I don't image a whole lot of innovating is going on in the kitchen. But if you're looking for a very moderately-priced place with a solid menu, quality food and excellent service, you'll find it all at the McCoolest place in Quakertown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014FABULOUS! Food was amazing (prime rib, McCool salad) as were the desserts (peach cobbler, apple torte). The only negative is that we sat outside on a night when there was a nearby car show. LOTs of noisy cars going by. Also, it was a lovely evening for a ride (according to my biker friends) so there were also many motorcycles revving by. But even amidst the noise, we had a GREAT time!!! Will definitely go there again!Special Features:
- jmyankDined on 8/9/2014Food was just OK so you get what you pay for! Service was slow. We sat near the piano and did enjoy the music but it was a little too loud. Recommend outdoor seating when available. Would possibly go back for lunch but did not particularly care for dinner entrees.Special Features:
- Terrific Pre-Steelman Tri DinnersugerDined on 8/9/2014This was the second time I've come with a group to do the Steelman Triathlon at Nockamixon State Park. Both times we ate dinner the nite before at McCoole's. Being able to make a reservation at the time we wanted to eat was important to us and helpful. The menu offers something for everyone and we were all pleased with our choices. Good portions, too. Attentive and reasonably quick service. The music on the patio was great. Not too loud; just right. My only complaint is that smoking is permitted at the patio tables -- very smelly and annoying. Other than that, nice place and we'll be back again.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Have eaten hea many many times and am never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousBarbara99Dined on 8/8/2014Wonderful meal. The food was wonderful and so was the service. Highly recommend McCoole's...Special Features:
- NiceRonniTVIPDined on 8/7/2014Nice historic restaurant worth stopping at if you are in the neighborhood. Food was good, but could be better. The charm is the history of the inn which they take a good job in preserving and explaining. Service was great.Special Features:
- Anniversary LunchLovebirdsDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I had a scrumptious lunch at McCoole's to celebrate our marriage anniversary! It was a great time with amazing, fresh food. It was so nice to be able to kick back with a delicious meal and not have to do the dishes at our house ;) Thanks, McCoole's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SchmittyDined on 7/26/2014We go there a lot because of the rustic atmosphere and their excellent food and service. My wife had their excellent crab cake dinner and I had the Posta pot dinner, which is one of my favorites. We were entertained by the piano player at the upright piano playing the oldies from the 40's, 50's and 60's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Evening Outside DiningFunhadbyallDined on 7/26/2014Our party of 8 had a Great time! Food fabulous, staff courteous, outside entertainment fun (cant be inside for live music as member from party injured in gulf war was accommodated through music outside- hadn't enjoyed himself in a ling time) a great time for all(age 8-57). Went back for lunch Sunday and made reservations to do it again this Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love mccooles butLuvMcCoolesDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I frequent McCooles, almost every weekend. We love it. The food is excellent and the music is generally pretty good. It's the perfect place for a romantic date or brunch with friends. While the service is generally good even during their busiest times, on Sat night it was horrible!! We sat for half hour before even being acknowledged. One waiter walked right by us looked at the table and kept on going. We would have left had it not been for my husband seeing an old friend. I truly hope this is a once and done thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 576 reviews are from the McCoole's Red Lion Inn reviews archive.
- mjayesDined on 7/19/2014Our waitress was extremely engaging, informative, and very personable. While attentive, we never felt like she was at the table without a purpose. None of those "how's everything going" visits.
- AGREAYPLACEDined on 7/5/2014The restaurant has a very good selection of entries. It is a geme in the rough. It always has excellent food and drink. We look forward to thier list of specialty drinks and food.Special Features:
- Service was absolutely terrible!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/3/2014Waited almost 1 hour just for our drinks! Then simple things like bringing out my salad without any dressing, having to ask for dressing, overall long wait time for everything. Would not dine there again.Special Features: