McCoole's Red Lion Inn
4 South Main Street
Quakertown, PA 18951Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McCoole's Red Lion Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mccoolesredlioninn.com/
- Phone: 2155381776
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm; Happy Hour: Tuesday - Thursday 4-6pm, Fridays 4-6 & 9-11, Saturdays 3-5 & 9-11, Sundays 3-5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dan Orr
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Jan Hench 2155381779
- Entertainment: McCoole's has live music for dinner entertainment on Friday and Saturday. Trivia every Tuesday in the bar from 8-10pm. Visit mccoolesredlioninn.com for complete entertainment schedule.
- Cross Street: Broad Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: For your convenience McCoole's has establised three designated areas for parking: Take advantage of our newly paved parking lot located behind the restaurant. There is a large lot located at McCoole's Arts and Events place next to the restaurant. The Quakertown Historical Society offers parking for McCoole's patrons located one block from the restaurant on North Main Street.
A word from McCoole's Red Lion Inn
Upscale Atmosphere For a Working Person's Wallet. As a historic building in Quakertown, McCoole's encompasses historical elegance with casual comfort. Seating available in the Main Dining Room, Martini Lounge & in the Bar. Come enjoy a little history in an eclectic atmosphere, with great food at a great price!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
McCoole's Red Lion Inn - Best Restaurants in Quakertown ›
McCoole's Red Lion Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)great for outdoor dining (34)special occasion (28)good for groups (27)great for lunch (27)fit for foodies (20)romantic (19)hot spot (14)great for brunch (12)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (5)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Everything was great.Live2dineDined on 9/20/2014Great experience all around.......food service and atmosphere. My husband had the eggplant and I had the scampi. Both were delicious. I would go back.Special Features:
- LiketoeatoutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014We made reservations for Friday night at 6:45, , but still had to wait about 20 minutes before being seated. We were given the menus and water (we did not have alcoholic drinks), and asked if we were in a hurry, (we were not) however then our order wasn't taken for at least another 15 minutes.... We were actually hoping to get our order in quickly so it wouldn't be too late of a night. Food was tasty and presentation was appetizing. I ordered broccoli but received squash, one other in our party had ordered the spare ribs, which she felt were tough and she barely ate any of it. The salmon was excellent as well as the Tournedos de Cognac! Very noisy this particular evening which made it hard to talk/hear with our out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchJustDaveDined on 9/19/2014Fish tacos with snapper where outstanding as was the accompanying rive with black bean sauce. Portion perfect for lunch.Special Features:
- we come here at least once a monthlovemcoolesmarlo350zDined on 9/5/2014PLEASE NOTE...MY NAME IS MARY LOU CAPPARELL. I put the reservations in on glenn's name cuz it's easier to spell. I come here with my girlfriends after Rice's Market. I bring my daughter and her hubby here. And my grandkids love sitting outside, when it's nice out. Obviously...I love it here! a great pour of Barefoot, fabulous food...Special Features:
- Wonderful night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The food and service were exceptional. We met nice people there and loved listening to Rita play the piano. She was fantastic and made our dining all that more enjoyable. Melissa was a great waitress! Thank you for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!XqchsstudentDined on 8/30/2014Great meeting place for friends. Were able to accommodate persons with celiac with large selection of gluten free items. Reasonably priced. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Love their homemade cheesecakes, especially the special one made daily!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A McCoole Place To EatSteadyeddieVIPDined on 8/12/2014I've had lunch numerous times at McCoole's Red Lion Inn, and the restaurant has never failed to deliver. It ain't trendy and I don't image a whole lot of innovating is going on in the kitchen. But if you're looking for a very moderately-priced place with a solid menu, quality food and excellent service, you'll find it all at the McCoolest place in Quakertown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014FABULOUS! Food was amazing (prime rib, McCool salad) as were the desserts (peach cobbler, apple torte). The only negative is that we sat outside on a night when there was a nearby car show. LOTs of noisy cars going by. Also, it was a lovely evening for a ride (according to my biker friends) so there were also many motorcycles revving by. But even amidst the noise, we had a GREAT time!!! Will definitely go there again!Special Features:
- jmyankDined on 8/9/2014Food was just OK so you get what you pay for! Service was slow. We sat near the piano and did enjoy the music but it was a little too loud. Recommend outdoor seating when available. Would possibly go back for lunch but did not particularly care for dinner entrees.Special Features:
- Terrific Pre-Steelman Tri DinnersugerDined on 8/9/2014This was the second time I've come with a group to do the Steelman Triathlon at Nockamixon State Park. Both times we ate dinner the nite before at McCoole's. Being able to make a reservation at the time we wanted to eat was important to us and helpful. The menu offers something for everyone and we were all pleased with our choices. Good portions, too. Attentive and reasonably quick service. The music on the patio was great. Not too loud; just right. My only complaint is that smoking is permitted at the patio tables -- very smelly and annoying. Other than that, nice place and we'll be back again.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Have eaten hea many many times and am never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousBarbara99Dined on 8/8/2014Wonderful meal. The food was wonderful and so was the service. Highly recommend McCoole's...Special Features:
- NiceRonniTVIPDined on 8/7/2014Nice historic restaurant worth stopping at if you are in the neighborhood. Food was good, but could be better. The charm is the history of the inn which they take a good job in preserving and explaining. Service was great.Special Features:
- Anniversary LunchLovebirdsDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I had a scrumptious lunch at McCoole's to celebrate our marriage anniversary! It was a great time with amazing, fresh food. It was so nice to be able to kick back with a delicious meal and not have to do the dishes at our house ;) Thanks, McCoole's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SchmittyDined on 7/26/2014We go there a lot because of the rustic atmosphere and their excellent food and service. My wife had their excellent crab cake dinner and I had the Posta pot dinner, which is one of my favorites. We were entertained by the piano player at the upright piano playing the oldies from the 40's, 50's and 60's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Evening Outside DiningFunhadbyallDined on 7/26/2014Our party of 8 had a Great time! Food fabulous, staff courteous, outside entertainment fun (cant be inside for live music as member from party injured in gulf war was accommodated through music outside- hadn't enjoyed himself in a ling time) a great time for all(age 8-57). Went back for lunch Sunday and made reservations to do it again this Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love mccooles butLuvMcCoolesDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I frequent McCooles, almost every weekend. We love it. The food is excellent and the music is generally pretty good. It's the perfect place for a romantic date or brunch with friends. While the service is generally good even during their busiest times, on Sat night it was horrible!! We sat for half hour before even being acknowledged. One waiter walked right by us looked at the table and kept on going. We would have left had it not been for my husband seeing an old friend. I truly hope this is a once and done thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mjayesDined on 7/19/2014Our waitress was extremely engaging, informative, and very personable. While attentive, we never felt like she was at the table without a purpose. None of those "how's everything going" visits.
- AGREAYPLACEDined on 7/5/2014The restaurant has a very good selection of entries. It is a geme in the rough. It always has excellent food and drink. We look forward to thier list of specialty drinks and food.Special Features:
- Service was absolutely terrible!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/3/2014Waited almost 1 hour just for our drinks! Then simple things like bringing out my salad without any dressing, having to ask for dressing, overall long wait time for everything. Would not dine there again.Special Features:
- Will ReturnclosetohomeDined on 7/2/2014The food and the service was excellent! We plan on returning sometime soon.Special Features:
- Great menu selectionjeffsqueenDined on 6/29/2014It took us forever to figure out what we wanted because there were so many selections that looked great. There is something for everyone's taste from sandwiches to comfort foods to full entrees. Service was prompt and friendly. The only slight downside to dining outside is that, at least on the night we were there, the intersection was traveled by a great many motorcyclists. Sometimes conversation had to be completely suspended while eight rumbling bikes waited for the light to change then revved up and proceeded. It wasn't enough of an issue to deter us in the future and I'm sure we'll be back at least enough times to try all of the other tempting dishes we didn't order.Special Features:
- SchmittyDined on 6/29/2014We went there two nights in a row and had great meals. My wife had their famous crab cakes. They are the best we've ever tasted. One of our friends had the prime rib dinner and loved it. We go there a lot because we like the atmosphere, staff and the food. We really enjoy listening to the lady playing the oldies from the 30's and 40's on the upright piano on Saturday evenings. My son had the Creole Pasta Pot and enjoyed the blend of tomatoes, sausages etc. We've had that meal a few times and would order it again.Special Features:
- A really nice restaurantPittFANDined on 6/28/2014The restaurant is very nice, has very good food, personable service, and a good selection of wines and beers. It incorporates a friendly and energetic atmosphere with the ambiance of the old historic inn.Special Features:
- A Great PlacelovetodineDined on 6/28/2014I have never been disappointed here. We went on a Saturday night, even though it was busy, our service was good and food arrived pretty promptly. Our appetizer of spring rolls arrived nice and hot and had the right amount of crunch and flavor. My husbands prime rib was done to his liking and the accompanying veggies were good and homemade. My McCool's scampi was served nice and hot. I liked how the crab meat clung to the pasta and the shrimp were perfectly done. We shared a cheesecake, which was nice and moist. The most impressive thing here was even though they were extremely busy the kitchen didn't skip a beat. Kudos to them and the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great spot for any pocketbook...GrammyDined on 6/28/2014Good ambience; great prices; good food and service. ....and what an interesting place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bd dinnerDibet50Dined on 6/27/2014We celebrated a 67th bd dinner here. All five of us loved the place, the food, and the atmosphere. No complaints. Yor waitress was the best!!Special Features:
- PERKASIEWilliamdDined on 6/21/2014First time here and we will be back the food was great and we got to sit outside on a great night and enjoy the food and drinks and relax. we will be backSpecial Features:
- Great night outkyle570610Dined on 6/20/2014Food was great. There were so many great things to choose from on the menu I couldn't decide. Took a long time to get our food but having drinks with friends we didn't mind.Special Features:
- Fresh foodclassymomDined on 6/15/2014its so nice to be able to find a place that actually serves fresh quality food. The sandwiches are reasonably priced. Love the gluten free options.Special Features:
- Great food!qtownersDined on 6/15/2014We were there on a busy night and just needed a table for two. We were able to get reservations. The only thing was we were kind of sat in a corner and it felt kind of weird with one of us only to face the two walls in the corner. Luckily there were some interesting pictures and things to look at while we were there.Special Features:
- BAD. BAD. BAD.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Made reservation on line. The Red Lion received and confirmed it but did not hold it. It was like a bad Seinfeld episode. Made us wait 20 minutes to only be told it would be another 20 minutes. Received a curt, formal "sorry" and nothing else. Treated very poorly. What a great Father's Day.
- Always a Pleasure!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014This was my 3rd time, and each time the food and service were great. The pecan crusted chicken spinach salad and lobster bisque were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichVIPDined on 6/10/2014Pleasantly surprised, quaint place with really good food. The service was a little slow but worth the waitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Historical Tavern AtmosphereTheBigEmDined on 6/8/2014For a fun night, eat at McCoole's. The menu is varied and the dishes are prepared well. The old tavern atmosphere lends a certain type of ambience to the occasion. Service is excellent and they'll do anything to make your meal pleasurable. Plenty of locvals know the place well, so it's usually a little crowded on weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightdezilizDined on 6/7/2014First time at McCoole's. We sat outside, listened to Adam's Fear, had a great meal and great service. Will be going again next month.Special Features:
- Great!ErinDined on 6/7/2014Our experience was great. We went early (5:15pm), so there weren't a lot of people there yet, so it was generally quiet. We did eat inside. There is outdoor seating available, but it is also right by the road, so we preferred indoor. Everything came out very quickly, and was super hot, which I love! The prices are good, too. I'd definitely recommend it. There is also a restaurant.com gift certificate available so you could even save a little money (We didn't use it this time, but will in the future--you usually have to buy them at least a day ahead of time).Special Features:
- Dinner reviewCarolDined on 6/5/2014This was our first visit to McCoole's. Thur night dinner We liked the decor and the atmosphere. Service was ok, however we had to ask for napkins and silverware, and our waitress (in training I think) did not smile at all. Dinner was average. I had a tomato bisque which was thick and chuncky like pasta sauce, not like soup at all. The bisque had little flavor. My blacked steak was properly cooked but had little flavor, no spice taste at all. My husband's tuna was also bland. I would not recommend this restaurant for a full dinner. I suspect their lunch/sandwich menu is better and will go back there to try a sandwich. We also went to the bar and received excellent service. Lively crowd in the bar.
- RED LION INNOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Interesting menu, great specials, super lively place. MAKE RESERVATIONS this place is busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.