McCoole's Red Lion Inn
4 South Main Street
Quakertown, PA 18951Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McCoole's Red Lion Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mccoolesredlioninn.com/
- Phone: 2155381776
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm; Happy Hour: Tuesday - Thursday 4-6pm, Fridays 4-6 & 9-11, Saturdays 3-5 & 9-11, Sundays 3-5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dan Orr
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Jan Hench 2155381779
- Entertainment: McCoole's has live music for dinner entertainment on Friday and Saturday. Trivia every Tuesday in the bar from 8-10pm. Visit mccoolesredlioninn.com for complete entertainment schedule.
- Cross Street: Broad Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: For your convenience McCoole's has establised three designated areas for parking: Take advantage of our newly paved parking lot located behind the restaurant. There is a large lot located at McCoole's Arts and Events place next to the restaurant. The Quakertown Historical Society offers parking for McCoole's patrons located one block from the restaurant on North Main Street.
A word from McCoole's Red Lion Inn
Upscale Atmosphere For a Working Person's Wallet. As a historic building in Quakertown, McCoole's encompasses historical elegance with casual comfort. Seating available in the Main Dining Room, Martini Lounge & in the Bar. Come enjoy a little history in an eclectic atmosphere, with great food at a great price!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
McCoole's Red Lion Inn - Best Restaurants in Quakertown ›
McCoole's Red Lion Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)great for outdoor dining (35)great for lunch (28)good for groups (27)special occasion (27)fit for foodies (20)romantic (20)hot spot (13)great for brunch (12)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (5)notable wine list (2)Show More
- As always great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/1/2014I love the historical significance of this place. It is such a beautiful place. We go there for our special occasions! The staff tonight left something to be desired. We could not hear our waiter, he talked so quiet and mumbled. Then the bus staff kept trying to take our plates, although we were still eating. Must have just been an off night. Not our typical visit there.Special Features:
- Dining ExperienceplgrDined on 1/29/2014I used open table to put in a reservation for the same day that I wanted to dine. It was a very cold day, so in the preference section I requested a table near a fire place. The table that we were given was exactly what I wanted. The food was very good and we had an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceKGallagherDined on 1/26/2014McCoole's did not disappoint. Great place, very rustic. Great food. Alittle cold but the cozy fire made it feel better. Service was good. Highly recommend.
- We arrived 20 minutes early,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014We arrived 20 minutes early, since we left early because of road conditions, but were seated immediately, at the table i had requested. Our server, I can't remember his name, was excellent. Overall, the food was good, although I've had the Tournedos many times, and they were not as good as in the past. They were thin, as was the sauce, and not as flavorful as I remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday CelebrationBakeeDined on 1/18/2014A group of friends and I went here over the weekend to celebrate my upcoming birthday and we couldn't have had a better time. The service, thanks to stefanie, was great. The apps were okay, but the entrees were awesome. We were very happily surprised by the wonderful piano playing by the sweet Reta Beiber. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteGeorgeDined on 1/18/2014After my wife and I had dinner we both agreed that McCoole"s was to be our new favorite place to eat. As a matter of fact we are planning to return next week for my birthday. The food choices, the prices, atmosphere and service were all factors in our choice of making McCoole"s our favorite special place to eat. Thanks!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDee1Dined on 1/18/2014The food was great and so was our waitress. We sat at the second seat in from the entrance and It was very cold there. I would definitely request A seat further in the dining room next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In TownSchmittyDined on 1/18/2014We've eaten there many times and never had a bad meal. The service is good even when they are crowded. I really like using Open Table to make reservations. I made reservations for 6:30 Saturday evening and only waited a few minutes to be seated at our table. There was an hour wait for those without reservation. I would recommended McCoole's to anyone for lunch or dinner. I especially like to listed to the 91 yo gal that plays the piano. What a gem.Special Features:
- overall happy with the experience,LisaDined on 1/18/2014overall happy with the experience, ex food, atmosphere. However had to argue with hostess first that we had reservations. she finally found them after insisting I was not on her list.Then she told me I called to change the time from 6:30-7:15 with my out of town guests there when I did not change the reservations. very embarrassing.Special Features:
- been to your establishmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014been to your establishment before and had a good time then as I did this time.Food is very good & the waiters were friendly & on the ball . Everyone in our party had a good time.As of the last visit ,parking was hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We made our reservations throughMissyDined on 1/17/2014We made our reservations through open table so we were not given the option of where to be seated. It was a Friday evening and very busy. We were seated in the bar area. We were out for dinner and wanted to talk and catch up. The bar area was very crowded and noisy. We were seated next to a side exit door which was being used quite frequently. It was extremely cold. We asked if a table was available in the dining room, but we were told that there wasn't. We would like to go back but we would sit in the dining room. The food was excellent. Our waiter was excellent at his job. He had a great personality, was attentive to whatever we might need, and made some good recommendationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!MBHAYESVIPDined on 1/16/2014This place is great. The servers are very nice and the food is so good and the price is so very reasonable. It is a find in this area. I meet a friend for lunch so it is not very crowded and parking is no problem. The only complaint I have is that it is very cold in the restaurant. Which the people must be aware of because when people reserve a table they request a table by the fireplace. This is my second time here and I was more prepared for the cold and wore Underarmor warm ware to be sure I would stay warm. If you can put up with the cold then this is a great place where the food is filling and delicious and the service is very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice optionsNanDineDined on 1/11/2014We just wanted to eat somewhere close to McCool's Entertainment Palace, so our expectations weren't that high. We were surprised to find McCoole's Red Lion Inn was very good with lots of nice dinner options, including gluten-free choices.Special Features:
- Historic AmbienceKimieDined on 1/4/2014I had passed by McCoole's many times but ate there for the first time this past Fall. I have been back twice since then, both times with a group of friends. The food is good, the prices are reasonable, the wait staff is friendly and the historic building rounds out the enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve DinnerTomLDined on 12/31/2013Went to McCools at the Red Lion Inn in Quakertown, Pa for New Year's Eve dinner with some relatives. The place was hopping and the food was quite good. My blacked rib eye was cooked just as ordered and tasted great. My wife's prime rib was everything she wanted and more. There was a simple service problem but the missing appetizer was delivered and comp'd. Our dinning companions had the special for the evening a small stuffed lobster tail and both enjoyed it. One of us ordered a cheese cake and huge slice appeared that could have feed several people. Over all a place worth remembering in the Quakertown area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, but restaurant was coldchuckyDined on 12/27/2013We were cold during the entire meal. They said it would get warmer but it never did, ate with our coats on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been to McCoole's manyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013We've been to McCoole's many times & it is one of our favorite restaurants- a real gem! The food & service was excellent for the price. However, our only complaint would be that we were freezing at the table in which we sat. It was the side table on the little platform just before going into the main dining room. I was so cold I had to eat with my coat on; couldn't wait to get in our car & turn on the heat! We will still continue to be customers, but will ask to be seated in a different area of the restaurant in cold weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for Christmas Eve!DsnenutDined on 12/24/2013We try eating at a new restaurant every Christmas Eve. The 4 pm seating was perfect! The food was delicious! My husband and I had the seafood combo and our daughter had the scallops. They were generous portions and we could not even think about dessert! The server was friendly and knowledgeable! We would definitely recommend eating here any day of the week and they are perfect for special occasions!Special Features:
- Great for any occasiontaipatDined on 12/22/2013We have been celebrating two very special occasions at McCoole's (former Red Lion Inn) since my daughter was 10; she just celebrated her 18th birthday there on Sunday. The food is always superb and the service is outstanding! It is always a nice atmosphere especially when you are seated by the fireplace. I would recommend trying it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local placeTeriDined on 12/22/2013Nice atmosphere, nice local spot. Good food. Nothing exciting, but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceSchmittyDined on 12/21/2013We enjoy going there. Reservations worked out great. The food is exceptionally good. The seafood chowder soup and seafood combo were excellent. My wife had the crab cakes which she said were excellent. Overall, a great place for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server ExcellenceLed2727Dined on 12/20/2013In all my years of Dinning I have NEVER had a Server notice/comment that I do not care for cream and confirm that I do not wish to have it continue to come along with my Coffee. This Lady made sure that my Coffee was never empty, may not seem like much, but on a busy night that IS a difficult feat. She kept tabs on us ensuring our experience was pleasant, smooth, and not in the least bit pushy. Even after we had received our check and wanted to add to it,Our server (who was ready to see us on our way) helped with the perfect choice of the best Cheese Cake I have had in a long time, still made us both feel like her most important customers all night. For Service, Ambiance, and an Excellent evening McCoole's is well worth your time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/20/2013Our first time at McCoole's. Nice neighborhood restaurant. Our table was available when we arrived, prompt service and good food. We enjoyed the music (single musician who played the guitar and flute). Our server was excellent and we enjoyed the chocolate cake with ice cream for desert. We will be back.Special Features:
- Service slow, food just OKxmasbabyDined on 12/19/2013Went with my family for a birthday dinner, and probably just picked a bad night. There was a very large group, looked like an office party, that was so loud we could sometimes not hear each other talk. I assume because of this, the service was very slow. The waitress was very nice, but we were there for 90 minutes before our entrees were served. We've been there before with better results, but I would stay away from it during the holiday season. Perhaps they should have a separate room for a large loud group like that.
- Holiday LunchchefcheckDined on 12/17/2013A party of six met for a hiliday lunch. We ordered from all over the menu. I had the signature salad; it was delicious with a perfect blend of tart, sweet, crunchy, crisp, and nutrition. The beef barley soup was harty, fresh, and hot. Everyone enjoyed their selections. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDustyDined on 12/15/2013The food was delicious,the fire in the fireplace was warm and enviting on such a cold wintery day, and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the atmosphere,CherryredDined on 12/15/2013The atmosphere at McCools is always lovely. The restaurant was decorated for Christmas and the fires were lit. Whig was a good thing, because the room was very cold. My daughter had to keep her coat on the entire time we were there. Soups were delicious. We tried the mushroom and the lobster bisque. Our party ordered prime rib, tenderloin and crab cakes which were good if not quite cooked to our specifications. I had the steak sandwich that was obviously left under the broiler too long. The bread was completly black and the steak on top, though ordered medium rare was well done and chared. Completly in edible.Special Features:
- Fun nightbsf13Dined on 12/13/2013Our server was great. The food and drinks were amazing. I love the atmosphere of the old hotel. I definitely enjoyed my experience and so did everyone in my party of 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business MeetingCarolDined on 12/10/2013Held a dinner meeting here and although it was initially somewhat noisy, we were seated in a more secluded area and it worked out fine. Service was great, ambiance is excellent... Parking was a bit difficult, but there were several holiday parties that night, so understandable. Overall a really great experience and we will definitely go again !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dinner before a showsgtjag81Dined on 12/5/2013stopped in here before seeing LWIII at the theater next door. food was wonderful as was the antique about the restaurant. if you want a lovely dinner with your better half with a menu not too hard on the wallet, stop in and i'm sure you will be back.Special Features:
- Food was great however itEileenmcDined on 11/30/2013Food was great however it was loud,cold, and drafty where we were seated. It was also very cramped and dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & drinks. Great2peasinapodDined on 11/23/2013Great food & drinks. Great place to get together with friends. Great cozy atmosphere! Will definitely be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice NightBigNardDined on 11/22/2013I took my lady out for a bite before a movie and ended up having a wonderful dining experience. I had been to McCoole's before, but it was about 4 years earlier. The menu has expanded greatly offering a much better variety of meals. As I stated earlier, the food was good before, but it's on a whole new level now. I really like that reservations can be made which was not available before. I hope that it keeps the affordability in mind as that is one of it's great attributesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodrelaxnchillDined on 11/22/2013We just ate at McCoole's Red Lion Inn on Friday, Nov.22nd. The food was excellent, the service was great (we had a very energetic young waiter who did an excellent job!) The only negative is that they had a two man band that night and we were seated right next to them, so our conversation was very limited. We will go back and eat there, however, we will ask not to be seated so close to the band if they have one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The dinner was great but theLuv2exploreDined on 11/20/2013The dinner was great but the wild mushroom ravioli was cold....the lobster was cooked just right and hot but the wrong vegetable was on my plate. The place was beautiful and quiet.... A bit drafty by the windows though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodMBHAYESVIPDined on 11/20/2013My friend and I met here for lunch. We both come from an hour away. We both were very pleased with the food, the service, and the atmosphere. The only part that wasn't great was it was VERY cold in the restaurant. It was a cold day outside and not much warmer in the restaurant. So we switched to a table near a fireplace that was burning but surprisingly it was not much better. Food was really good and the prices were really reasonable. I would recommend this place during the warm months or wear long underwear during the winter months. Even the men at another table in the room moved their table to be closer to the other fireplace that was in the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable lunchLunchladyDined on 11/19/2013I've joined friends at McCoole's for lunch on several occasions and I've never been disappointed. The lunch selections are varied and always well prepared and delicious. And the Bloody Marys are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot to dine !smashunicornDined on 11/17/2013I have visited this restaurant on many occasions. Excellent menu selection. Great location for either lunch or dinner. Waitress service exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EveningSadieDined on 11/16/2013The dinner was very good and the piano player was excellent!!!Special Features:
- Better than expectedpknotDined on 11/16/2013McCoole's Red Lion Inn was better than expected. We went there before a concert next door and we were expecting tavern food at best. the four os us sampled a wide array of food and liked all of them. Good size portions. Seating was a bit too tight, so once you sit down it is difficult to get out, but other than that we enjoyed it.Special Features: