McCoole's Red Lion Inn
4 South Main Street
Quakertown, PA 18951Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McCoole's Red Lion Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mccoolesredlioninn.com/
- Phone: 2155381776
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm; Happy Hour: Tuesday - Thursday 4-6pm, Fridays 4-6 & 9-11, Saturdays 3-5 & 9-11, Sundays 3-5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dan Orr
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Jan Hench 2155381779
- Entertainment: McCoole's has live music for dinner entertainment on Friday and Saturday. Trivia every Tuesday in the bar from 8-10pm. Visit mccoolesredlioninn.com for complete entertainment schedule.
- Cross Street: Broad Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: For your convenience McCoole's has establised three designated areas for parking: Take advantage of our newly paved parking lot located behind the restaurant. There is a large lot located at McCoole's Arts and Events place next to the restaurant. The Quakertown Historical Society offers parking for McCoole's patrons located one block from the restaurant on North Main Street.
A word from McCoole's Red Lion Inn
Upscale Atmosphere For a Working Person's Wallet. As a historic building in Quakertown, McCoole's encompasses historical elegance with casual comfort. Seating available in the Main Dining Room, Martini Lounge & in the Bar. Come enjoy a little history in an eclectic atmosphere, with great food at a great price!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
McCoole's Red Lion Inn - Best Restaurants in Quakertown ›
McCoole's Red Lion Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)great for outdoor dining (29)good for groups (28)special occasion (24)fit for foodies (21)great for lunch (20)romantic (18)hot spot (12)great for brunch (11)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Cozy and HistoricOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014The history of the building obly added to the delightfulness of this quant neighborhood restaurant. Very good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A really neat restaurantVickiBDined on 2/21/2014The food was great, the service exceptional and the atmosphere can't be beat. There are so many great menu choices, you may have a hard time deciding. If you like Mac N Cheese, they have great one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best in Quakertown :)The1OriginalFoodCriticDined on 2/20/2014I was looking to take my date somewhere and after I searched I found McCoole's. Her and I have never been there so we decided to give it a try; and boy oh boy the food was awesome! Everything was cooked beyond perfection. This is a great place to take your family, friends and or your husband, wife, boyfriend or girlfriend to show them the appreciation that you have for them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- McCool'sbikerlady1Dined on 2/15/2014I've dined at McCool's a few times and alway have enjoyed the food, and service. This time was different. We were seated right away and our drink orders were taken fast and brought to our table fast and our orders were taken. But no sooner that we had our soup and salads, they brought out our dinner and we weren't even finished the soup or salads. And even before we put our forks down and our plates weren't cleaned off , the wait staff kept wanting to take our plates away. We felt so rushed. We also sat at a table that was near the entrance to where the staff went in and out for the food and drinks, so we constantly had staff rushing by our table constantly. And our table was wobbley. We were very disappointed this time around.Special Features:
- Valentine's weekendBradAndJackieDined on 2/15/2014The staff was very friendly, in spite of cold & snow outside and holiday weekend crowd inside. The menu gave more than adequate choices for lite fare to full entree choices, covering most possibilities a diner could want. There was also a daily special menu. We were given adequate time for each course, with no feeling of pressure to move the table for the next seating. Everything was excellent, with enough food to package some for lunch the next day. Desserts were awesome, with half of one boxed for later. We would recommend this restaurant to any of our friends.Special Features:
- Excellent valentines choice.RandomdotguyDined on 2/14/2014Had to create a last minute valentines date night plan, the waiter was excellent, he kept the mood slightly goofy enough to break a first date on valentines day night kinda tension, the food was perfect, and there was live soft non-overbearing music playing in the back ground, overall great night, even though febuary 14th is a horrible night for a first date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic AmbienceGigiDined on 2/14/2014Had reservations for Valentine's Day. Restaurant was very crowded, but was seated within 10 mins. Server was busy making service a little slow but expected for the day and crowd. Food was okay. Shrimp cocktail had only 4 medium sized watery shrimp. Steak was cooked to order but under seasoned. Potato of the day ( rustic mashed) tasted burnt and was also under seasoned. Expected more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Quakertown Gem!BuckshotDined on 2/14/2014Good food, nice selection. Service was a bit off, but I'll give them a pass because it was Valentine's Day and the place was packed! They did bring in 2 guys singing and playing guitars. My only complaint with that is....it was too loud and too much bass. I am as picky with my music as I am with my food.Special Features:
- Great Place!scoringcoreyDined on 2/14/2014Mccooles is my favorite place to go for a nice dinner! I went for Valentines day two times now and it is always a perfect night out. The food was great, my steak was cooked exactly how i wanted it, and the service was quick and friendly. The only thing is I wish they had a special Valentines day menu like the had last year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedJustaChicDined on 2/7/2014Unfortunately, there was nothing really to rave about except the company I was with. We started with the mussels as an app, and some of them smelled and tasted fishy. I ordered a cup of the Lobster bisque with an up-charge and it tasted like tomato soup with crab meat in it. It wasn't rich and creamy at all. for our dinners, my date ordered the creole pasta pot... which was ok, except it was linguini, sauce, and seafood on a plate... the shrimp was overcooked and tough. The scallops weren't too bad though. I ordered the salmon stuffed with crabmeat. which really came out as a crab cake with 1/2 fillets around it. They must have left it under the heat lamp for too long. The filets were like rubber and the cake was SUPER fishy.
- So close to perfectsonylou91Dined on 2/1/2014I grew up passing this place, I'm so glad I finally stopped in. The menu has a good variety, the drink menu was ample, service was friendly and prompt, and the food was excellent. There was even a piano player to set the mood! The only downfall is the building was rather cramped and it was so noisy it was hard to hold a conversation, or even hear myself think.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/1/2014I love the historical significance of this place. It is such a beautiful place. We go there for our special occasions! The staff tonight left something to be desired. We could not hear our waiter, he talked so quiet and mumbled. Then the bus staff kept trying to take our plates, although we were still eating. Must have just been an off night. Not our typical visit there.Special Features:
- Dining ExperienceplgrDined on 1/29/2014I used open table to put in a reservation for the same day that I wanted to dine. It was a very cold day, so in the preference section I requested a table near a fire place. The table that we were given was exactly what I wanted. The food was very good and we had an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceKGallagherDined on 1/26/2014McCoole's did not disappoint. Great place, very rustic. Great food. Alittle cold but the cozy fire made it feel better. Service was good. Highly recommend.
- We arrived 20 minutes early,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014We arrived 20 minutes early, since we left early because of road conditions, but were seated immediately, at the table i had requested. Our server, I can't remember his name, was excellent. Overall, the food was good, although I've had the Tournedos many times, and they were not as good as in the past. They were thin, as was the sauce, and not as flavorful as I remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday CelebrationBakeeDined on 1/18/2014A group of friends and I went here over the weekend to celebrate my upcoming birthday and we couldn't have had a better time. The service, thanks to stefanie, was great. The apps were okay, but the entrees were awesome. We were very happily surprised by the wonderful piano playing by the sweet Reta Beiber. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteGeorgeDined on 1/18/2014After my wife and I had dinner we both agreed that McCoole"s was to be our new favorite place to eat. As a matter of fact we are planning to return next week for my birthday. The food choices, the prices, atmosphere and service were all factors in our choice of making McCoole"s our favorite special place to eat. Thanks!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDee1Dined on 1/18/2014The food was great and so was our waitress. We sat at the second seat in from the entrance and It was very cold there. I would definitely request A seat further in the dining room next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In TownSchmittyDined on 1/18/2014We've eaten there many times and never had a bad meal. The service is good even when they are crowded. I really like using Open Table to make reservations. I made reservations for 6:30 Saturday evening and only waited a few minutes to be seated at our table. There was an hour wait for those without reservation. I would recommended McCoole's to anyone for lunch or dinner. I especially like to listed to the 91 yo gal that plays the piano. What a gem.Special Features:
- overall happy with the experience,LisaDined on 1/18/2014overall happy with the experience, ex food, atmosphere. However had to argue with hostess first that we had reservations. she finally found them after insisting I was not on her list.Then she told me I called to change the time from 6:30-7:15 with my out of town guests there when I did not change the reservations. very embarrassing.Special Features:
- been to your establishmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014been to your establishment before and had a good time then as I did this time.Food is very good & the waiters were friendly & on the ball . Everyone in our party had a good time.As of the last visit ,parking was hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We made our reservations throughMissyDined on 1/17/2014We made our reservations through open table so we were not given the option of where to be seated. It was a Friday evening and very busy. We were seated in the bar area. We were out for dinner and wanted to talk and catch up. The bar area was very crowded and noisy. We were seated next to a side exit door which was being used quite frequently. It was extremely cold. We asked if a table was available in the dining room, but we were told that there wasn't. We would like to go back but we would sit in the dining room. The food was excellent. Our waiter was excellent at his job. He had a great personality, was attentive to whatever we might need, and made some good recommendationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!MBHAYESVIPDined on 1/16/2014This place is great. The servers are very nice and the food is so good and the price is so very reasonable. It is a find in this area. I meet a friend for lunch so it is not very crowded and parking is no problem. The only complaint I have is that it is very cold in the restaurant. Which the people must be aware of because when people reserve a table they request a table by the fireplace. This is my second time here and I was more prepared for the cold and wore Underarmor warm ware to be sure I would stay warm. If you can put up with the cold then this is a great place where the food is filling and delicious and the service is very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice optionsNanDineDined on 1/11/2014We just wanted to eat somewhere close to McCool's Entertainment Palace, so our expectations weren't that high. We were surprised to find McCoole's Red Lion Inn was very good with lots of nice dinner options, including gluten-free choices.Special Features:
- Historic AmbienceKimieDined on 1/4/2014I had passed by McCoole's many times but ate there for the first time this past Fall. I have been back twice since then, both times with a group of friends. The food is good, the prices are reasonable, the wait staff is friendly and the historic building rounds out the enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve DinnerTomLDined on 12/31/2013Went to McCools at the Red Lion Inn in Quakertown, Pa for New Year's Eve dinner with some relatives. The place was hopping and the food was quite good. My blacked rib eye was cooked just as ordered and tasted great. My wife's prime rib was everything she wanted and more. There was a simple service problem but the missing appetizer was delivered and comp'd. Our dinning companions had the special for the evening a small stuffed lobster tail and both enjoyed it. One of us ordered a cheese cake and huge slice appeared that could have feed several people. Over all a place worth remembering in the Quakertown area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, but restaurant was coldchuckyDined on 12/27/2013We were cold during the entire meal. They said it would get warmer but it never did, ate with our coats on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been to McCoole's manyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013We've been to McCoole's many times & it is one of our favorite restaurants- a real gem! The food & service was excellent for the price. However, our only complaint would be that we were freezing at the table in which we sat. It was the side table on the little platform just before going into the main dining room. I was so cold I had to eat with my coat on; couldn't wait to get in our car & turn on the heat! We will still continue to be customers, but will ask to be seated in a different area of the restaurant in cold weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for Christmas Eve!DsnenutDined on 12/24/2013We try eating at a new restaurant every Christmas Eve. The 4 pm seating was perfect! The food was delicious! My husband and I had the seafood combo and our daughter had the scallops. They were generous portions and we could not even think about dessert! The server was friendly and knowledgeable! We would definitely recommend eating here any day of the week and they are perfect for special occasions!Special Features:
- Great for any occasiontaipatDined on 12/22/2013We have been celebrating two very special occasions at McCoole's (former Red Lion Inn) since my daughter was 10; she just celebrated her 18th birthday there on Sunday. The food is always superb and the service is outstanding! It is always a nice atmosphere especially when you are seated by the fireplace. I would recommend trying it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local placeTeriDined on 12/22/2013Nice atmosphere, nice local spot. Good food. Nothing exciting, but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceSchmittyDined on 12/21/2013We enjoy going there. Reservations worked out great. The food is exceptionally good. The seafood chowder soup and seafood combo were excellent. My wife had the crab cakes which she said were excellent. Overall, a great place for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server ExcellenceLed2727Dined on 12/20/2013In all my years of Dinning I have NEVER had a Server notice/comment that I do not care for cream and confirm that I do not wish to have it continue to come along with my Coffee. This Lady made sure that my Coffee was never empty, may not seem like much, but on a busy night that IS a difficult feat. She kept tabs on us ensuring our experience was pleasant, smooth, and not in the least bit pushy. Even after we had received our check and wanted to add to it,Our server (who was ready to see us on our way) helped with the perfect choice of the best Cheese Cake I have had in a long time, still made us both feel like her most important customers all night. For Service, Ambiance, and an Excellent evening McCoole's is well worth your time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/20/2013Our first time at McCoole's. Nice neighborhood restaurant. Our table was available when we arrived, prompt service and good food. We enjoyed the music (single musician who played the guitar and flute). Our server was excellent and we enjoyed the chocolate cake with ice cream for desert. We will be back.Special Features:
- Service slow, food just OKxmasbabyDined on 12/19/2013Went with my family for a birthday dinner, and probably just picked a bad night. There was a very large group, looked like an office party, that was so loud we could sometimes not hear each other talk. I assume because of this, the service was very slow. The waitress was very nice, but we were there for 90 minutes before our entrees were served. We've been there before with better results, but I would stay away from it during the holiday season. Perhaps they should have a separate room for a large loud group like that.
- Holiday LunchchefcheckDined on 12/17/2013A party of six met for a hiliday lunch. We ordered from all over the menu. I had the signature salad; it was delicious with a perfect blend of tart, sweet, crunchy, crisp, and nutrition. The beef barley soup was harty, fresh, and hot. Everyone enjoyed their selections. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDustyDined on 12/15/2013The food was delicious,the fire in the fireplace was warm and enviting on such a cold wintery day, and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the atmosphere,CherryredDined on 12/15/2013The atmosphere at McCools is always lovely. The restaurant was decorated for Christmas and the fires were lit. Whig was a good thing, because the room was very cold. My daughter had to keep her coat on the entire time we were there. Soups were delicious. We tried the mushroom and the lobster bisque. Our party ordered prime rib, tenderloin and crab cakes which were good if not quite cooked to our specifications. I had the steak sandwich that was obviously left under the broiler too long. The bread was completly black and the steak on top, though ordered medium rare was well done and chared. Completly in edible.Special Features:
- Fun nightbsf13Dined on 12/13/2013Our server was great. The food and drinks were amazing. I love the atmosphere of the old hotel. I definitely enjoyed my experience and so did everyone in my party of 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business MeetingCarolDined on 12/10/2013Held a dinner meeting here and although it was initially somewhat noisy, we were seated in a more secluded area and it worked out fine. Service was great, ambiance is excellent... Parking was a bit difficult, but there were several holiday parties that night, so understandable. Overall a really great experience and we will definitely go again !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.