McCoole's Red Lion Inn
4 South Main Street
Quakertown, PA 18951Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McCoole's Red Lion Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mccoolesredlioninn.com/
- Phone: 2155381776
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm; Happy Hour: Tuesday - Thursday 4-6pm, Fridays 4-6 & 9-11, Saturdays 3-5 & 9-11, Sundays 3-5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dan Orr
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Jan Hench 2155381779
- Entertainment: McCoole's has live music for dinner entertainment on Friday and Saturday. Trivia every Tuesday in the bar from 8-10pm. Visit mccoolesredlioninn.com for complete entertainment schedule.
- Cross Street: Broad Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: For your convenience McCoole's has establised three designated areas for parking: Take advantage of our newly paved parking lot located behind the restaurant. There is a large lot located at McCoole's Arts and Events place next to the restaurant. The Quakertown Historical Society offers parking for McCoole's patrons located one block from the restaurant on North Main Street.
A word from McCoole's Red Lion Inn
Upscale Atmosphere For a Working Person's Wallet. As a historic building in Quakertown, McCoole's encompasses historical elegance with casual comfort. Seating available in the Main Dining Room, Martini Lounge & in the Bar. Come enjoy a little history in an eclectic atmosphere, with great food at a great price!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
McCoole's Red Lion Inn - Best Restaurants in Quakertown ›
McCoole's Red Lion Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)great for outdoor dining (35)great for lunch (28)good for groups (27)special occasion (27)fit for foodies (20)romantic (20)hot spot (13)great for brunch (12)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (5)notable wine list (2)Show More
- always good and enjoyableMicheleScDined on 5/11/2014Great food, above average service. Outdoor dining too noisy with lits of traffic. Definite return visits to a reliable eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timedebbyandjodyDined on 5/10/2014we had last minute out of town guests, I made very last minute reservations, on the sat before mothers day/ so it was hopingt... but we ate like kingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FindMBHAYESVIPDined on 4/29/2014This restaurant has the best food!! The only down side of the restaurant is that it is always COLD. Unfortunately we went on a rainy chilly day and that did not help things. The waitresses are all nice and efficient and the food is always good. I can't imagine there would be a better place in Quakertown. The prices are so low for the quality of food you are getting also.Special Features:
- JackieVIPDined on 4/23/2014Only complaint I had was the featured turkey wrap was made with lunch meat turkey instead of real turkey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining in the Quakertown areaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014We live in Reading but have friends in the Quakertown and Coopersburg areas. Lately we've been coming to McCoole's when visiting. So far this place is 2 for 2. Our first time there we got lunch and the food, service and drinks (try their Red Lion ales) were excellent, especially for the middle-of-the-road price. The second time was for dinner on a Friday night. We had to wait a little past our reservation time (15 minutes maybe?) but again, the food and service we received more than made up for it. The live entertainment was also great. And the noise level there isn't too loud that you can't easily converse.Special Features:
- chuckDined on 4/18/2014this place is always great...it NEVER disappoints!Special Features:
- Delectable DiningEatR8RVIPDined on 4/17/2014We enjoyed a delicious meal in a cozy corner of the gorgeous dining room. It was a perfect space with perfect food to create a perfect evening to catch up together.Special Features:
- meeting place for distant familyMickeyDined on 4/16/2014We love McCoole's! It is a trendy kind of place that makes everyone feel comfortable. We have family that is 1 1/2 south of it and we are 1 hr north so we meet there for lunch, occasionally. This time the hamburger which was ordered "medium" was more than well done. The shrimp/crab wrap didn't seem to have any crab and the taste was bland. The steamed clams were delicious:) Our server was great:) The music was too loud for us to hear each other and our server was kind enough to turn it down for us.:) We will return, of course, but will be more specific when requesting particulars. We didn't mention any of this to the server because our purpose was to connect with family, not draw attention to any negatives outside of our purpose.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the ExperiencebrandiDined on 4/5/2014Had a great meal with great service. Wait staff came around just enough to take good care of us but was not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was prepared as orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Food was prepared as ordered and was very tasty. Atmosphere was nice but a bit noisy if you are looking for a romantic dinner. Service was attentive and friendly. My only complaint was I ordered the "Blackened Ribeye" and while it was cooked to perfection, the "blackened flavoring" was almost nonexistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh!Bucks2LehighDined on 4/4/2014Just so so. Typical pub food... No real notable to differentiators. For burger eaters, there are likely grounds to disagree. Mediterranean pressed sandwich was bland. So much more could have been done to this sandwich to make it pop more with wonderful flavor. Would be nice if creamed spinach were not the only spinach on the menu. Sautéed spinach with no dairy would be a nice alternative for health conscious diners.
- Great first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/1/2014Found this place on line and decided to give it a try. It was even better than expected. Our waitress was fabulous... Friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. Beer was delicious and the drinks our wives had were perfect. All 4 of us loved our entrees. We went on a Tuesday night. There was a good crowd with an enjoyable atmosphere. We drove 30 minutes from Montgomry County and it was well worth the trip.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BAp SIC...cigarknightVIPDined on 3/29/2014What can I say about this place...The wife and I were in town for a wedding, and decided to stop in for lunch...the food was good and pretty basic, the service was OK, and the atmosphere was quiet...the place was pretty empty. Now the decor is "rustic" at best, and the entire place could use a good scrubbing..would classify this establishment more of a "bar" with a dinner menu than a restaurant....Special Features:
- Too loudrenbrig85Dined on 3/28/2014The noise level was very loud. There was a party at the other end of the restaurant that was out of control with their loud outbursts. Also, the reception area was very smallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place.DianeDined on 3/28/2014Old fashioned country inn decor. Casual yet feels special. It's great on the weekend when they have some live music in the evening. It complements, rather than competes with the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McCool's Red Lion Inn wasGuidoVIPDined on 3/22/2014McCool's Red Lion Inn was once a civilized upper Bucks eattery. Today the bar and theater crowd have overtaken and thurned Saturday night into a shoting match. We wound up using our cellphones to text each other. Lot parking is impossible. We wound up on the street four blocks away. We suggest you pass on this one. Week nights or lunch may be a better choice.
- WOWkjbonnorDined on 3/22/2014For years, my wife and I have driven past the Red Lion Inn and wondered how good it was. Well, we finally were able to go based on the recommendations of our friends who went with us. It was fantastic! From the service to the food, it was great. It has definitely been placed on our repeat eating places to go to. I also appreciated the ease of making reservations online via "Open Table". What a neat feature and very user friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat CustomerBrianDined on 3/22/2014We have been to McCoole's Red Lion on several occasions and have not been disappointed yet. We were a bit taken aback by the "smoke salmon and pasta" dish not being what was described (ended up being a strip of lox and two salmon cakes over pasta) but it was very good nonetheless. Our waitress Genevieve was exceptional. Attentive but not pushy and never made us feel rushed. The portion sizes were generous but not too much and the food was served piping hot. We received a complimentary hummus sample with toasted pita (my date thought the hummus had too much garlic but I - however - don't think there is such a thing as "too much" garlic). Overall: another enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Should Try That Place Sometime..PlumsteadBobDined on 3/21/2014So, last Friday night we went for it. Made reservations on Open Table for 8PM. We arrived at 7:50 and the hostess area was packed with patrons waiting for a table.. Surprised, we were seated exactly at 8 in the main, old section of the building. The atmosphere was loud and lively with several large tables and a one man live music act. The fish in the fish and chips was great, although only two pieces of fish. BBQ Cheddar burger and onion rings, was tasty and cooked perfectly. Service was commendable for the number of people dining. The noise and music fit the rustic, friendly casual atmosphere. Go after 9 or make a reservation! Call for parking options as parking is tight. Great casual night out, enjoy it with some friends.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerLivGreatDined on 3/21/2014It was my son's birthday and I took him & his special girl - it was their 1st visit and we all enjoyed the food and drinks!Special Features:
- Night Out After WorkWorkgroupDined on 3/11/2014Our group had a wonderful time at McCoole's. The food was unbelievably good. We are still talking about it. I would recommend this place to anyone. In fact, I have been recommending it to people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McCool's is my kind of place.oldmilwaukeeDined on 3/8/2014If you are looking for a quaint and cozy place with excellent food and good service, then you are going to like McCool's at the historic Red Lion Inn. The vintage architecture and decor has a log cabin type of feel that is warm and inviting. The menu is diverse but not overbearing. Try the Tournedos au Cognac. I was impressed with the beer and wine list as well. They have Peroni, which is one of my favorite beers and is difficult to find. One thing that really stood out was the friendliness of the staff. Everyone, from the hostess to our waitress, to the bartender couldn't have been more pleasant and responsive. Good place to take a date. My one negative (which is minor) was that the dining room was a bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience...SSBBDined on 3/8/2014We had an incredibly good dinner with excellent service. Would definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2014McCoole's Red Lion Inn is so absolutely delicious and very reasonably priced for even big groups! I recently had friends come from MI to visit my husband and I and I'm pretty sure the next time they come won't be just for visiting us ;) Keep up the great food and service! Looking forward to dining there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!TheDevilWearsPradaDined on 3/1/2014This was our second time at McCoole's. The historic building coupled with the excellent menu and awesome services provides for a terrific dining experience. I look forward to going back soon! The crab cakes are among the best I've had and the layered chocolate cake is incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1700's Bucks County GemJTBrownDined on 2/28/2014Great service with a personal touch, good food and outstanding ambiance. If you are in Bucks County this is the place to spend a memorable evening. I could visualize Bucks County legends like John Fries (Fries Rebellion), members of the Doan Gang, Oliver Evans (the inventor) and Evan Foulke (Liberty Hall across the street) stopping in for a tankard of flip (beer, rum and sugar, heated with a red-hot poker).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceSchmittyDined on 2/28/2014We go there a lot and find it very enjoyable while there. The staff is very friendly and courteous every time we are there. We especially like the 90 year old woman that comes in and plays some of the old rag time music on the upright piano. Other musical guest are great to listen to also. I would absolutely recommend McCoole"s to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try a McCooles brew :-)OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2014Our service staff was outstanding. Friendly and attentive. The food excellent as always. We came to see the band and appreciated that they were able to adjust our reservation to a table close to the stage. While we waited we enjoyed a delicious drink special and a McCooles brew at the bar. This neighborhood gem always makes me happy to live in Quakertown.Special Features:
- A very nice unique restaurant!lvloafer1Dined on 2/22/2014A very nice unique restaurant! The food is delicious! Keep up the great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and HistoricOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014The history of the building obly added to the delightfulness of this quant neighborhood restaurant. Very good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A really neat restaurantVickiBDined on 2/21/2014The food was great, the service exceptional and the atmosphere can't be beat. There are so many great menu choices, you may have a hard time deciding. If you like Mac N Cheese, they have great one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best in Quakertown :)The1OriginalFoodCriticDined on 2/20/2014I was looking to take my date somewhere and after I searched I found McCoole's. Her and I have never been there so we decided to give it a try; and boy oh boy the food was awesome! Everything was cooked beyond perfection. This is a great place to take your family, friends and or your husband, wife, boyfriend or girlfriend to show them the appreciation that you have for them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- McCool'sbikerlady1Dined on 2/15/2014I've dined at McCool's a few times and alway have enjoyed the food, and service. This time was different. We were seated right away and our drink orders were taken fast and brought to our table fast and our orders were taken. But no sooner that we had our soup and salads, they brought out our dinner and we weren't even finished the soup or salads. And even before we put our forks down and our plates weren't cleaned off , the wait staff kept wanting to take our plates away. We felt so rushed. We also sat at a table that was near the entrance to where the staff went in and out for the food and drinks, so we constantly had staff rushing by our table constantly. And our table was wobbley. We were very disappointed this time around.Special Features:
- Valentine's weekendBradAndJackieDined on 2/15/2014The staff was very friendly, in spite of cold & snow outside and holiday weekend crowd inside. The menu gave more than adequate choices for lite fare to full entree choices, covering most possibilities a diner could want. There was also a daily special menu. We were given adequate time for each course, with no feeling of pressure to move the table for the next seating. Everything was excellent, with enough food to package some for lunch the next day. Desserts were awesome, with half of one boxed for later. We would recommend this restaurant to any of our friends.Special Features:
- Excellent valentines choice.RandomdotguyDined on 2/14/2014Had to create a last minute valentines date night plan, the waiter was excellent, he kept the mood slightly goofy enough to break a first date on valentines day night kinda tension, the food was perfect, and there was live soft non-overbearing music playing in the back ground, overall great night, even though febuary 14th is a horrible night for a first date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic AmbienceGigiDined on 2/14/2014Had reservations for Valentine's Day. Restaurant was very crowded, but was seated within 10 mins. Server was busy making service a little slow but expected for the day and crowd. Food was okay. Shrimp cocktail had only 4 medium sized watery shrimp. Steak was cooked to order but under seasoned. Potato of the day ( rustic mashed) tasted burnt and was also under seasoned. Expected more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Quakertown Gem!BuckshotDined on 2/14/2014Good food, nice selection. Service was a bit off, but I'll give them a pass because it was Valentine's Day and the place was packed! They did bring in 2 guys singing and playing guitars. My only complaint with that is....it was too loud and too much bass. I am as picky with my music as I am with my food.Special Features:
- Great Place!scoringcoreyDined on 2/14/2014Mccooles is my favorite place to go for a nice dinner! I went for Valentines day two times now and it is always a perfect night out. The food was great, my steak was cooked exactly how i wanted it, and the service was quick and friendly. The only thing is I wish they had a special Valentines day menu like the had last year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedJustaChicDined on 2/7/2014Unfortunately, there was nothing really to rave about except the company I was with. We started with the mussels as an app, and some of them smelled and tasted fishy. I ordered a cup of the Lobster bisque with an up-charge and it tasted like tomato soup with crab meat in it. It wasn't rich and creamy at all. for our dinners, my date ordered the creole pasta pot... which was ok, except it was linguini, sauce, and seafood on a plate... the shrimp was overcooked and tough. The scallops weren't too bad though. I ordered the salmon stuffed with crabmeat. which really came out as a crab cake with 1/2 fillets around it. They must have left it under the heat lamp for too long. The filets were like rubber and the cake was SUPER fishy.
- So close to perfectsonylou91Dined on 2/1/2014I grew up passing this place, I'm so glad I finally stopped in. The menu has a good variety, the drink menu was ample, service was friendly and prompt, and the food was excellent. There was even a piano player to set the mood! The only downfall is the building was rather cramped and it was so noisy it was hard to hold a conversation, or even hear myself think.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.