McCoole's Red Lion Inn
4 South Main Street
Quakertown, PA 18951Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
McCoole's Red Lion Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mccoolesredlioninn.com/
- Phone: 2155381776
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm; Happy Hour: Tuesday - Thursday 4-6pm, Fridays 4-6 & 9-11, Saturdays 3-5 & 9-11, Sundays 3-5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dan Orr
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Jan Hench 2155381779
- Entertainment: McCoole's has live music for dinner entertainment on Friday and Saturday. Trivia every Tuesday in the bar from 8-10pm. Visit mccoolesredlioninn.com for complete entertainment schedule.
- Cross Street: Broad Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: For your convenience McCoole's has establised three designated areas for parking: Take advantage of our newly paved parking lot located behind the restaurant. There is a large lot located at McCoole's Arts and Events place next to the restaurant. The Quakertown Historical Society offers parking for McCoole's patrons located one block from the restaurant on North Main Street.
A word from McCoole's Red Lion Inn
Upscale Atmosphere For a Working Person's Wallet. As a historic building in Quakertown, McCoole's encompasses historical elegance with casual comfort. Seating available in the Main Dining Room, Martini Lounge & in the Bar. Come enjoy a little history in an eclectic atmosphere, with great food at a great price!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
McCoole's Red Lion Inn - Best Restaurants in Quakertown ›
McCoole's Red Lion Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)special occasion (31)great for lunch (31)good for groups (27)great for outdoor dining (27)fit for foodies (18)romantic (17)hot spot (12)great for brunch (11)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (7)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- SchmittyDined on 7/26/2014We go there a lot because of the rustic atmosphere and their excellent food and service. My wife had their excellent crab cake dinner and I had the Posta pot dinner, which is one of my favorites. We were entertained by the piano player at the upright piano playing the oldies from the 40's, 50's and 60's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Evening Outside DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Our party of 8 had a Great time! Food fabulous, staff courteous, outside entertainment fun (cant be inside for live music as member from party injured in gulf war was accommodated through music outside- hadn't enjoyed himself in a ling time) a great time for all(age 8-57). Went back for lunch Sunday and made reservations to do it again this Saturday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love mccooles butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014My husband and I frequent McCooles, almost every weekend. We love it. The food is excellent and the music is generally pretty good. It's the perfect place for a romantic date or brunch with friends. While the service is generally good even during their busiest times, on Sat night it was horrible!! We sat for half hour before even being acknowledged. One waiter walked right by us looked at the table and kept on going. We would have left had it not been for my husband seeing an old friend. I truly hope this is a once and done thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mjayesDined on 7/19/2014Our waitress was extremely engaging, informative, and very personable. While attentive, we never felt like she was at the table without a purpose. None of those "how's everything going" visits.
- AGREAYPLACEDined on 7/5/2014The restaurant has a very good selection of entries. It is a geme in the rough. It always has excellent food and drink. We look forward to thier list of specialty drinks and food.Special Features:
- Service was absolutely terrible!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/3/2014Waited almost 1 hour just for our drinks! Then simple things like bringing out my salad without any dressing, having to ask for dressing, overall long wait time for everything. Would not dine there again.Special Features:
- Will ReturnclosetohomeDined on 7/2/2014The food and the service was excellent! We plan on returning sometime soon.Special Features:
- Great menu selectionjeffsqueenDined on 6/29/2014It took us forever to figure out what we wanted because there were so many selections that looked great. There is something for everyone's taste from sandwiches to comfort foods to full entrees. Service was prompt and friendly. The only slight downside to dining outside is that, at least on the night we were there, the intersection was traveled by a great many motorcyclists. Sometimes conversation had to be completely suspended while eight rumbling bikes waited for the light to change then revved up and proceeded. It wasn't enough of an issue to deter us in the future and I'm sure we'll be back at least enough times to try all of the other tempting dishes we didn't order.Special Features:
- SchmittyDined on 6/29/2014We went there two nights in a row and had great meals. My wife had their famous crab cakes. They are the best we've ever tasted. One of our friends had the prime rib dinner and loved it. We go there a lot because we like the atmosphere, staff and the food. We really enjoy listening to the lady playing the oldies from the 30's and 40's on the upright piano on Saturday evenings. My son had the Creole Pasta Pot and enjoyed the blend of tomatoes, sausages etc. We've had that meal a few times and would order it again.Special Features:
- A really nice restaurantPittFANDined on 6/28/2014The restaurant is very nice, has very good food, personable service, and a good selection of wines and beers. It incorporates a friendly and energetic atmosphere with the ambiance of the old historic inn.Special Features:
- A Great PlacelovetodineDined on 6/28/2014I have never been disappointed here. We went on a Saturday night, even though it was busy, our service was good and food arrived pretty promptly. Our appetizer of spring rolls arrived nice and hot and had the right amount of crunch and flavor. My husbands prime rib was done to his liking and the accompanying veggies were good and homemade. My McCool's scampi was served nice and hot. I liked how the crab meat clung to the pasta and the shrimp were perfectly done. We shared a cheesecake, which was nice and moist. The most impressive thing here was even though they were extremely busy the kitchen didn't skip a beat. Kudos to them and the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great spot for any pocketbook...GrammyDined on 6/28/2014Good ambience; great prices; good food and service. ....and what an interesting place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bd dinnerDibet50Dined on 6/27/2014We celebrated a 67th bd dinner here. All five of us loved the place, the food, and the atmosphere. No complaints. Yor waitress was the best!!Special Features:
- PERKASIEWilliamdDined on 6/21/2014First time here and we will be back the food was great and we got to sit outside on a great night and enjoy the food and drinks and relax. we will be backSpecial Features:
- Great night outkyle570610Dined on 6/20/2014Food was great. There were so many great things to choose from on the menu I couldn't decide. Took a long time to get our food but having drinks with friends we didn't mind.Special Features:
- Fresh foodclassymomDined on 6/15/2014its so nice to be able to find a place that actually serves fresh quality food. The sandwiches are reasonably priced. Love the gluten free options.Special Features:
- Great food!qtownersDined on 6/15/2014We were there on a busy night and just needed a table for two. We were able to get reservations. The only thing was we were kind of sat in a corner and it felt kind of weird with one of us only to face the two walls in the corner. Luckily there were some interesting pictures and things to look at while we were there.Special Features:
- BAD. BAD. BAD.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Made reservation on line. The Red Lion received and confirmed it but did not hold it. It was like a bad Seinfeld episode. Made us wait 20 minutes to only be told it would be another 20 minutes. Received a curt, formal "sorry" and nothing else. Treated very poorly. What a great Father's Day.
- Always a Pleasure!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014This was my 3rd time, and each time the food and service were great. The pecan crusted chicken spinach salad and lobster bisque were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichVIPDined on 6/10/2014Pleasantly surprised, quaint place with really good food. The service was a little slow but worth the waitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Historical Tavern AtmosphereTheBigEmDined on 6/8/2014For a fun night, eat at McCoole's. The menu is varied and the dishes are prepared well. The old tavern atmosphere lends a certain type of ambience to the occasion. Service is excellent and they'll do anything to make your meal pleasurable. Plenty of locvals know the place well, so it's usually a little crowded on weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014First time at McCoole's. We sat outside, listened to Adam's Fear, had a great meal and great service. Will be going again next month.Special Features:
- Great!ErinDined on 6/7/2014Our experience was great. We went early (5:15pm), so there weren't a lot of people there yet, so it was generally quiet. We did eat inside. There is outdoor seating available, but it is also right by the road, so we preferred indoor. Everything came out very quickly, and was super hot, which I love! The prices are good, too. I'd definitely recommend it. There is also a restaurant.com gift certificate available so you could even save a little money (We didn't use it this time, but will in the future--you usually have to buy them at least a day ahead of time).Special Features:
- Dinner reviewCarolDined on 6/5/2014This was our first visit to McCoole's. Thur night dinner We liked the decor and the atmosphere. Service was ok, however we had to ask for napkins and silverware, and our waitress (in training I think) did not smile at all. Dinner was average. I had a tomato bisque which was thick and chuncky like pasta sauce, not like soup at all. The bisque had little flavor. My blacked steak was properly cooked but had little flavor, no spice taste at all. My husband's tuna was also bland. I would not recommend this restaurant for a full dinner. I suspect their lunch/sandwich menu is better and will go back there to try a sandwich. We also went to the bar and received excellent service. Lively crowd in the bar.
- RED LION INNOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Interesting menu, great specials, super lively place. MAKE RESERVATIONS this place is busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mingVIPDined on 5/31/2014Enjoyed the outside seating, very pleasant even though it was a little cool, the heaters worked well, food was very good, was a busy night so things came a little slow, plan to return. Very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great place to eatSchmittyDined on 5/18/2014We go there a lot. I had their prime rib and my wife had their crab cakes. Both were excellent. It was the best prime rib I had in a long time. I mentioned that to the waiter and the person at the podium.Special Features:
- First time back in a bit...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014Took the son to McCooles for a celebration of job, gradutation and birthday all in one week. Food was very good as always. Reservations for 7 PM, but weren't seated until 7:30. Wait staff seems very hurried and although not unpleasant, still just rushed. Challenging to be herded by the front door with no real waiting area. I don't mind waiting to be seated but there is no where to feel like you aren't in the way by the front door. The staff with the outdoor dining charged through 50x in the half hour we waited, people just had no where to really go. Just a challenge.Special Features:
- always good and enjoyableMicheleScDined on 5/11/2014Great food, above average service. Outdoor dining too noisy with lits of traffic. Definite return visits to a reliable eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timedebbyandjodyDined on 5/10/2014we had last minute out of town guests, I made very last minute reservations, on the sat before mothers day/ so it was hopingt... but we ate like kingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FindMBHAYESVIPDined on 4/29/2014This restaurant has the best food!! The only down side of the restaurant is that it is always COLD. Unfortunately we went on a rainy chilly day and that did not help things. The waitresses are all nice and efficient and the food is always good. I can't imagine there would be a better place in Quakertown. The prices are so low for the quality of food you are getting also.Special Features:
- JackieVIPDined on 4/23/2014Only complaint I had was the featured turkey wrap was made with lunch meat turkey instead of real turkey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining in the Quakertown areaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014We live in Reading but have friends in the Quakertown and Coopersburg areas. Lately we've been coming to McCoole's when visiting. So far this place is 2 for 2. Our first time there we got lunch and the food, service and drinks (try their Red Lion ales) were excellent, especially for the middle-of-the-road price. The second time was for dinner on a Friday night. We had to wait a little past our reservation time (15 minutes maybe?) but again, the food and service we received more than made up for it. The live entertainment was also great. And the noise level there isn't too loud that you can't easily converse.Special Features:
- chuckDined on 4/18/2014this place is always great...it NEVER disappoints!Special Features:
- Delectable DiningEatR8RVIPDined on 4/17/2014We enjoyed a delicious meal in a cozy corner of the gorgeous dining room. It was a perfect space with perfect food to create a perfect evening to catch up together.Special Features:
- meeting place for distant familyMickeyDined on 4/16/2014We love McCoole's! It is a trendy kind of place that makes everyone feel comfortable. We have family that is 1 1/2 south of it and we are 1 hr north so we meet there for lunch, occasionally. This time the hamburger which was ordered "medium" was more than well done. The shrimp/crab wrap didn't seem to have any crab and the taste was bland. The steamed clams were delicious:) Our server was great:) The music was too loud for us to hear each other and our server was kind enough to turn it down for us.:) We will return, of course, but will be more specific when requesting particulars. We didn't mention any of this to the server because our purpose was to connect with family, not draw attention to any negatives outside of our purpose.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the ExperiencebrandiDined on 4/5/2014Had a great meal with great service. Wait staff came around just enough to take good care of us but was not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was prepared as orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Food was prepared as ordered and was very tasty. Atmosphere was nice but a bit noisy if you are looking for a romantic dinner. Service was attentive and friendly. My only complaint was I ordered the "Blackened Ribeye" and while it was cooked to perfection, the "blackened flavoring" was almost nonexistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 541 reviews are from the McCoole's Red Lion Inn reviews archive.
- Eh!Bucks2LehighDined on 4/4/2014Just so so. Typical pub food... No real notable to differentiators. For burger eaters, there are likely grounds to disagree. Mediterranean pressed sandwich was bland. So much more could have been done to this sandwich to make it pop more with wonderful flavor. Would be nice if creamed spinach were not the only spinach on the menu. Sautéed spinach with no dairy would be a nice alternative for health conscious diners.
- Great first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/1/2014Found this place on line and decided to give it a try. It was even better than expected. Our waitress was fabulous... Friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. Beer was delicious and the drinks our wives had were perfect. All 4 of us loved our entrees. We went on a Tuesday night. There was a good crowd with an enjoyable atmosphere. We drove 30 minutes from Montgomry County and it was well worth the trip.I would recommend this to a friend.