1634 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mcafebar.com/
- Phone: (202) 290-1178
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (BAR MENU AVAILABLE LATE)
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
SUNDAY BRUNCH: 11:00am -3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Roberto Minnetti
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: MCafe Bar offers a beautiful private room and full buyouts. Please contact Mehdi Zorgani at 202-309-1491 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
A word from MCafe Bar
MCafe Bar is the perfect place to relax and enjoy brunch or dinner. A gourmet menu, daily happy hour specials, an after-hours menu, and delicious hand-made pizzas using only the finest and freshest ingredients are served by a professional and enthusiastic staff. Don't miss MCafe Bar's fabulous Bellini brunch Sunday or our Saturday pizza, salad, and dessert hour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MCafe Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (8)great for outdoor dining (7)special occasion (5)good for groups (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- This was our 4th trip to MCafeSYoungDined on 12/31/2013This was our 4th trip to MCafe Bar. This restaurant, the food and the service, is consistently amazing. We will continue to keep MCafe Bar on our short list of 'go-to' restaurants in DC.Special Features:
- The lasagna was delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/24/2013The lasagna was delicious. Will definitely return to this restaurant again in the future.
- Excellent experienceitalianloverDined on 12/22/2013Good food, excellent service and attention to details and enjoyable atmosphere ! Valet parking is a plus...Special Features:
- Heat problems at MCafe!DisappointedVIPDined on 12/16/2013There is a problem with the heating system at MCafe which made me and other dining parties very uncomfortable. I recommend avoiding this restaurant until the heating system is repaired! I treated a friend for dinner for her birthday and I was very embarrassed. The first table wee were seated at was located near the door and there was a cold draft. We moved our table to a back room, and the temperature was regulated by a faulty heating system. The back room alternated between burning hot, to cold air conditioning. it was so uncomfortable in the restaurant that it ruined our dining experience!! Another family complained about the temperature as well. The air conditioning in the back room made our dinner cold.
- Great food, great ambienceNeighborVIPDined on 12/14/2013...and you can hear the other person at your table! The food is terrific and they take pride in the menu and the service. This is a restaurant with a nice bar, not a bar that happens to serve food. This is a welcome addition to a neighborhood full of restaurants where the decibels rival a rock concert and you have to fight your way to a table. Great place for a date or stimulating conversation with your friends. Please come here - we want it to stay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The employees at the restaurantDineinstyleDined on 12/7/2013The employees at the restaurant is very attentive and the ambience is really nice. The food is your normal American Italian cuisine. However in my salad, the chef left out the shaved fennel when it was advertised on the menu. The agnolotti did not have the espresso flavor as advertised on the menu as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FindAnonymousDined on 12/7/2013Having attended a performance at Studio Theatre, we looked for somewhere to have dinner. MCafe was delightful in every way and we will definitely go for a return visit! Great food, friendly staff. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- under-appreciated & surprisingTastemakerVIPDined on 12/5/2013I had always skipped this restaurant because I wasn't sure what it was. From the outside it was never very crowded and it did not seem to have an appealing decoration. This is really unfortunate because the food is quite remarkable, the staff is very engaging, And the wine was quite delicious with a knowledgeable Who made a wonderful recommendation. Please go and support this local eatery and give them valuable feedback.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/2/2013My friends decided to try M Cafe because it was new and we could get a table on Monday night. We had a phenomenal waitress and great food. The calamari and burrata were very tasty, we loved the beet salad and endive salad, and the pastas were to die for! It was a very good experience overall and we'll definitely be back. I look forward to enjoying the outdoor seating when warmer weather arrives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodRuntDined on 11/23/2013The food was simply amazing, wine list great, atmosphere fantastic. Our server was a little slow but I have a feeling he was just having an off night. We will defiantly be going back.Special Features:
- Great place and easy to get a tableDCKarmaDined on 11/22/2013I've been 4 times and it just gets better as I go. The first time I made a reservation for a specific table with a street-view window. When we arrived they were just seating a couple of ladies at that table and they quickly and politely relocated the ladies and freed up the table for us. Food is amazing. House-made pasta is superb. Wine list is great and several of the staff know their wine incredibly well. They have managed equally well both my wife and I for a romantic setting, as well as my large group of foodie friends who love loud family share style dining w/ lots of wine drinking. Food ranks high on my list of the new 14th street places but the place is surprisingly easy to book a table (probably because it's not a wild bar scene).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our recent experience wasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/18/2013Our recent experience wasn't as good as previous meals, but we enjoy this restaurant and we look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDcanewDined on 11/17/2013My second meal there. The food was interesting and excellent both times as was the service. Italian menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around greatArielleVIPDined on 11/9/2013Both the food and the service at M Cafe were GREAT! Our server whose name escapes me was really knowledgeable about everything from the food to the wine list to the background about the restaurant and it's owner. She also had a way of describing the food and profiles of the wine that made me think she should be auditioning for the Food Network. I went with a group and we each got a different pasta dish so we all tasted each others dishes and each was delicious. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/6/2013I had a great experience at M Cafe Bar. We had an excellent waiter, Lou, who was appropriately attentive without being overbearing. He had great advice on the menu - I had the branzino, which was prepared perfectly and plated beautifully. My dinner companion had veal and liked it very much. I really like the atmosphere and the wine list is nice. While it filled up with other patrons it was not really loud, which is a lovely rare find in DC these days. You can hear each other speak. I will be back often!Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodChriscodcDined on 10/28/2013The mint tagliatelle is incredible. Tiramisu is light and at room temp. The tasting menu is reasonable and portions are perfect. Our server Kyle is fun, and the bartender is engaging. Even the host is all smiles. The key ingredients for a successful restaurant. Thank you M, well done! Until the nest covert operation :-)Special Features:
- Great serviceHannahDined on 10/26/2013The food was good, not my favorite though. But we had a really great server and the entire staff was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedDcfoodloverVIPDined on 10/25/2013Especially after reading great reviews, my guests and I were extremely disappointed;ambiance & cosmetics of the restaurant are great; staff is very cordial(food was the absolute worse imitation of Italian food I have experienced at any restaurant. No hint of Italian seasoning; every dishes were just thrown together; No flavor( ingredients did not compliment each other. We brought our dissatisfaction to the attention of the waiter and the manager, who were both apologetic and admitted there had been some problems with the chef. The 3 of us ordered about 11 different items, a bottle of wine, had drinks at the bar.... Our consolation..., the absolute worse macaroons ever!!
- First try McafeSophiecarolinaVIPDined on 10/19/2013Great deal of energy here to the point where one REALLY had to scream to talk. The food was fine-not stellar, although the presentations were lovely. More disturbing was the service. The waiter tried, but our entrees did not come together and there was a significant delay for one diner. This definitely upset the dynamics of the evening. It also took a long time to pay- somewhat strange. Hopefully this is all attributable to new restaurant growth pains. We will wait and try again,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first impressionDrawPastTenseVIPDined on 10/16/2013We thought the food, wine list, ambiance were all surprisingly good. Anne Marie was our server and she was the main reason our first impression was a very, very positive one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere, the food andAnniversaryDinnerDined on 10/13/2013The atmosphere, the food and the service were impeccable. It was our 2nd anniversary and the staff treated us so well. We will definitely be back again soon.Special Features:
- Great 14th street restaurantStamatisVIPDined on 10/12/2013We made reservations with not having any expectations, we just knew it was a new restaurant. We were pleasantly surprised by the impeccable service and delicious food. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wont lastwineanddineVIPDined on 10/4/2013with everything going on on 14th street this restaurant will be left in the dust. The service was terrible, when asked by the manager how everything was we told him we had been waiting for over an hour to be served, all he did was say "oh! sorry" and then slowly back away from the table. Food was flavor-less but not inedible. We were seated next to a large and VERY loud party that should have had a separate room.
- Just OKheyheyDined on 9/28/2013The food was good but took forever to serve. The service was friendly but not very efficient. Portions were on the smaller side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not quite there yetFavored1VIPDined on 9/19/2013I dined in this restaurant the first week it opened and there were small glitches with the menu and service that you exprct in a new restaurant; however, my second experirence dining there took place just recently and the sophomoric level of service and attention to detail is still there. I will attempt dining there again to determine if this will be an establishment that I will frequent or take it completely off my list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHelloVIPDined on 9/18/2013The place looks very nice but that's it. The menu has nothing exciting on it. The service is clueless, can;t answer even simple questions about their own menu. The food is bland, not cooked to temperature requested, and not memorable at all. At that price point there is no excuse for that.
- DecentLove2eatVIPDined on 9/17/2013We had a totally fine meal here. Nothing special or exceptional. But decent, especially given the price is a bit lower than other new places along 14th Street. If you're struggling to get into one of the other local hot spots, and you need to eat, it's a totally acceptable place. We won't rush back, but we'll probably try it again in a few months and see if it's evolved into anything more interesting.
- Slow service --2.5 hours for dinnerSuzanneDined on 9/15/2013This new spot in the neighborhood has decent food, nice decor and pleasant staff, but they have to work out the kinks in their service. At a time on Sunday night when the restaurant was nearly empty, we still felt we'd been forgotten, flagging staff down for everything from water to clearing our plates to ordering dessert. It seemed to be an issue of training; staff did not seem clear of their role and requests to 4 different staff for items did not convey that there was a service problem and to watch the table after delivering the item. The kind waiter did not know the basics of either the menu or service; we wondered if it was his first night. I would try them again in a few months.
- Excellent foodTJMDCVIPDined on 9/10/2013The food is very interesting and flavorful. Probably some of the best food on 14th st hot restaurant district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clueless StaffDCnativeDined on 9/7/2013First impressions are so important, and our first impression was poor. From the moment we entered the building the staff were uninterested in helping customers or too uninformed to know how to help. Our dining experience started off on the wrong foot at the front desk when we had to wait for the lady seating us to finish her conversation with friends (approx 4 minutes). Once seated we got our drink orders in and were forgotten about. Dinner orders were made about 45 minutes after we sat down. Food came out quickly, but no one was around when we were ready to pay our bill. We gave our credit cards to the waiter and it was 25 minutes before we heard from him again to say that he lost one of our cards.... Dinner took over 3 hours. Ugh.
- Neighborhood GembojaillieDined on 9/7/2013My wife and another couple recently dined at M Café and we truly enjoyed the experience. We weren't able to get the outside table we'd hope for but the manager put us at a large table bordering the open sliders on one side which was a great alternative. The calamari appetizer was crisp and delicious and all four entrees outstanding, including the swordfish, the mushroom Bolognese pasta and the lamb neck ragout. We found the menu to be a nice size, unusual and nicely varied, and the décor eclectic. The service was a tad off, but that could be chalked up to early start-up issues. M Café is in our neighborhood and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2013I enjoyed my first time at M Cafe very much, although the service still needs a lot of work. My table had to ask for bread to be brought, then we had to ask another waiter to bring some olive oil. The waitress also kept saying we weren't rushed, but then would take away small plates and dishes before they were finished. This took away from the excellent quality of the food and the wine list, which the manager helped us navigate to find a delicious Tuscan red. I hope the kinks get ironed out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.