1634 14th St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mcafebar.com/
- Phone: (202) 290-1178
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm (BAR MENU AVAILABLE LATE)
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
SUNDAY BRUNCH: 11:00am -3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Roberto Minnetti
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: MCafe Bar offers a beautiful private room and full buyouts. Please contact Mehdi Zorgani at 202-309-1491 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
A word from MCafe Bar
MCafe Bar is the perfect place to relax and enjoy brunch or dinner. A gourmet menu, daily happy hour specials, an after-hours menu, and delicious hand-made pizzas using only the finest and freshest ingredients are served by a professional and enthusiastic staff. Don't miss MCafe Bar's fabulous Bellini brunch Sunday or our Saturday pizza, salad, and dessert hour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MCafe Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)neighborhood gem (8)great for outdoor dining (7)special occasion (5)good for groups (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Consistently great foodLorenDined on 10/25/2014I've been here a few times now, and every time have thoroughly enjoyed my food. The pastas are delicious (and homemade), the bread's great, the seafood has been excellent, and the prices are on par with what'd you expect for a 14th street Italian restaurant (~$20 on average). The only minor drawback is the service, which has regularly been mediocre (although primarily they're just slow to get a waiter to you originally). I'd still heartily recommend to others.Special Features:
- Great Visityumyum1301Dined on 10/11/2014First time visit to MCafe and it was recommended by a friend. We had the sausage appetizer (can't recall the Italian title) which was great. Very tender, savory, with the right amount of spice. I had the lasagna, which was very good. She had the linguine with mussels which was light with the perfect amount of butter. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Excellent!TammyVIPDined on 10/2/2014This is an unknown neighborhood gem! The food and service is excellent!I have dined at MCafe about 5 times now and every time it is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must have been an off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014This place had good reviews which is why we went. Considering it was a holiday weekend, I would normally make allowances but the restaurant was not busy. (Other places in the area were packed.) The salads were good, but the pasta dishes were lackluster. If I lived in the area I would give it another shot, but on my next trip to DC I will certainly try someplace else - there are some DC restaurants I cannot get enough of, but this isn't one of them. Another thing that turned me off (beyond the restaurant's control) is that the few other diners were in t-shirts, ratty jeans and sneakers. Does it kill people to make any sort of effort these days? Or is it simply impossible to under dress anymore?
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014We loved the food, but the service was terrible. We waited for drinks. Fish that was to be filleted was not, and the lasagne was served lukewarm. The restaurant was not crowded so the service could not be explained away by a busy night.Special Features:
- Great Brunch ExperianceTomInBloomingdaleVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food was very good, the bottomless Bellini's hit the spot! Also if you sit outside it's a great people watching location. We will be coming back!!!Special Features:
- The following 66 reviews are from the MCafe Bar reviews archive.
- Nothing SpecialTimDVIPDined on 7/5/2014We wanted to try out this newer addition (since our last visit to DC) to 14th St. Felt it was overpriced for the lack of quality in food. Fresh pasta, yes, but the lobster special was flavorless and bland with a watery tomato sauce, the seafood pasta dish was okay but didn't stand out as anything special. I guess that's the best way to describe it - nothing special. No need to ever return on future DC visits.Special Features:
- Awful serviceRisforfoodiesVIPDined on 6/14/2014Four of us went to a 6:15 reservation for a pre-theater dinner. Our server quickly told us that it was his third day and he was not familiar with the menu. As We ordered our server had to look at the menu because he was unfamiliar with the offerings. After he left, he returned to confirm one selection, because he was unsure if he had written it down properly. Our starters were fine and arrived quickly. Our main course did not arrive for 30 minutes, with one incorrect order. After another 30 minutes, and complaints met by promises that it would "only be 5 minutes", the correct dish appeared. They did "comp" that dish as well as dessert, but we will not return. Nice setting but bad service-and the place was essentially empty. Wonder why!
- Service needs improvementDeliciousVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food was very good but the service was disappointing. The restaurant was crowded but not packed. It took a while to get our order taken. When we were done with our appetizers our flatware was taken away but we were not given new flatware with our dinner. We had to ask which is unacceptable. We will give this place one more try because the server was very apologetic.Special Features:
- Best DC ItalianMCrowellVIPDined on 5/31/2014I was so nervous to even attempt an Italian restaurant because there are so many bad ones but Mcafe Bar was awesome. The food was delicious, out waitress was top notch and the whole evening was just perfect. I went with a group of girls and we all absolutely loved it. Highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no reservation neededsfthDined on 5/17/2014And I don't know why. It is a beautifully designed spot with windows opened to the neighborhood, and food that was delicious.Special Features:
- AMAZING Italian food!DCNick78Dined on 5/10/2014What a surprise find! The eggplant parm and veal piccata were absolutely delicious! Best I've had in a restaurant. And, the desserts were delectable. GREAT food at M Cafe.Special Features:
- Nice dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014Great staff...waitress was amazing, sitting outside was great, and so was my dinnerSpecial Features:
- Good food but TERRIBLE serviceDVK2VIPDined on 4/18/2014I really wanted to like this place, but considering how poor the service was for the price, there are much better options in the neighborhood. They failed at every step - drinks took more than 20 minutes. Our waiter kept forgetting what we ordered and had to come back and ask us one at a time. They served us the wrong appetizer (lasagne instead of eggplant parm) and it was lukewarm. Then they brought my husband eggplant parm. instead of his lasagne. Our server was apologetic and perhaps they were short-staffed, but this was probably the worst service I've had in the 20 years I've lived in DC. It's too bad because the food was actually delicious.Special Features:
- Great first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2014I went on a recommendation from a friend and MCafe certainly lived up to the recommendation. The food was excellent, the wine list approachable, and the service impeccable. Our server was personable, but professional, and the table touches by the manager, Mariana, were much appreciated. I'll definitely recommend this place to friends.Special Features:
- Terribly slow service but nice!RahpatchVIPDined on 4/11/2014Went on a first date. Took about 30 minutes to get drinks. All we ordered was pasta. Just two of us both had pasta. No appetizers no desert. It wasn't until 3 hours later that we left. It just took forever for service. But guy couldn't have been nicer. Seems like they need to hire more ppl. Our guy was hustlin and good for him for making it rain for himself but 3 hours for drinks and 2 pastas? Hum? Also, we didn't order till after an hr of being there just waiting and the hosted asked us twice for our menus back. Please print more? She suggested we memorize what we wanted and be ready when our waiter came.Special Features:
- M Cafe First ExperienceMWdineexpDined on 3/31/2014This was our first experience at this restaurant and the overall experience was outstanding. We were immediately greeted at the door and shown to our table. The food was well prepared and I would return to try other menu items. The wait staff was knowledgeable about the menu and enthusiastic to share knowledge about the menu and make good recommendations. The ambiance is eclectic and engaging. My only critique is once busy it can be a bit noisy and you cannot hear the music in the background that takes away from the ambiance. I would recommend this place to anyone with a love of Italian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for drinksTGinDCVIPDined on 3/31/2014Nice bar- great bartender and happy hour specials. we mistakenly stayed for dinner- glad to have my OT points- the best part of the experience.
- Food was okMaxineDined on 3/29/2014The service was very good, the waiter was very friendly. The manager or owner stopped by, also very nice touch. The food was good, but not great. I had a pasta bolognese, my friend a veggie pasta. Maybe other items on the menu are better.Special Features:
- Second time here; good as the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/25/2014Loved the asparagus soup and eggplant parmigiana when I first tried M Cafe last month; this time the fried calamari. beet salad, mozzarella burata, and gnocchi with gorgonzola and walnuts were all OUTSTANDING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the best pasta dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/10/2014Some of the best pasta dishes around! Great happy hour specials! I have eaten here many times and at many different times of the day or week, and the food and service is always reliably outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After reading many of theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014After reading many of the reviews on here that were mixed, I was overall pleasantly surprised with the food and the service here. Everything we ate was good with the desserts being exceptional. The service was very attentive, the only drop off was that it took nearly 25 minutes to get our desserts from when we ordered them. Everything else came out very quickly and was hot and delicious. Since the kitchen is in the basement, you can get stuck at a table where there is someone constantly going by you serving food and or on the other side there are tables that bump up against the bar which is small so if it gets busy, you can feel as if people are standing over you. But other than that, it was overall a great experience!I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE McafeTsizVIPDined on 2/28/2014I always have a great experience. The staff is wonderful and the food even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is my 6th or 7th timeAnniversaryDinnerDined on 2/24/2014This is my 6th or 7th time here and each and every time I go, the food just gets better and better. This is 14th streets hidden gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itCandKDined on 2/22/2014Nice staff, but the reservation wasn't ready, the service was slow and disordered, and the food was aggressively meh. Lots of eurotrash in the bar area so if you like some swarth... Good luck with that.Special Features:
- Nothing specialradarVIPDined on 2/22/2014With all of the other restaurants on 14th St, this one just does not compare. For the same price as most other restaurants on 14th St, the food just isn't up to par. The chicken was dry and the pizza was greasy. We don't plan on going back anytime soon.
- We love this place!SYoungDined on 2/21/2014We have been to MCafe Bar multiple times because of its incredible food, presentation on the plates, and of course, the very knowledgeable staff and management. We've been in groups, just as a couple, on even on NYE for a special occasion. All occasions have been consistently incredible experiences. We recommend this to anyone who wants an italian treat!Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodBaconRulesVIPDined on 2/14/2014We went there for Valentine's Day dinner, and I was pleasantly surprised with M Cafe food and service. The food is great Italian food. My husband really liked the lasagna; which makes me sad..... he liked it better than mine. I had the Mahi Mahi, and lets just say it was DELSIH!!!!! This is our second time to M Cafe, and the food was great. If you enjoy good Italian food then you have to stop by M Cafe and give it a try. The service is impressive - friendly professional staff. I will definitely come back to this place.Special Features:
- This restaurant makes an honestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014This restaurant makes an honest effort at creating an upscale experience. We liked the atmosphere and the décor (although it might not be everyone's cup of tea), and our service was excellent. The food, however, was rather underwhelming. They use top-grade ingredients, and on paper the menu items look quite impressive but the execution was lacking in some ways in every dish we tried. One obvious common problem was as simple as lack of sufficient seasoning; the bigger issues had to do with unsuccessful combinations of ingredients and/or their preparations. Overall, we had a nice experience. The place is a good choice for special occasions and most people, with the exception of real foodies, will not be disappointed here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/12/2014I came here with my boyfriend a few days before Valentine's Day. There was no wait at all and our reservation was at 6:15pm. The food was delicious, our waiter was amazing and very accommodating. I definitely plan to come back here soon, not only for dinner, but also for happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is AMAZINGRuntDined on 2/9/2014Took a first date there on Sunday for brunch. The food was amazing. We started with the Mac-N-Cheese with Shrimp (we split it) and we were both in love. With the Mac N Cheese. I got the breakfast tart with Avocado, two eggs over hard and bacon. OMG yummmy!! We were able to eat clean and healthy which is a big plus for two guys who live active and fit lifestyles. I have no idea why there are not people lined up outside the door waiting to get in here for brunch. Guess that is not such a bad thing for me, I won't have to wait for a table, since I am planning on going back. Hopefully with the same guy! : )Special Features:
- Accomodating nightChrisDined on 2/1/2014We had reservation for 4 but added a 5th at the last minute. The Maitre d' was very pleasant and accomodating and was able to secure us a booth with a chair at the end of the table for our 5th. The waiter continued with the theme of fantastic service. Lou was amazing! Friendly and helpful, and never missed a thing. Our food was excellent save for one dish that was only fair. Excellent atmoshphere; a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MCafe Bar - A Great Find!!chantillyDined on 2/1/2014This is a great little restaurant find among so many other so so places along 14th street. We all had very delicious and beautifully presented food including appetizers, to entrees, and dessert. Couldn't decide which we liked the best! The service is outstanding too - not something you find in too many places. Loved everything about this place.Special Features:
- food was good but portionsAllicatDined on 1/31/2014food was good but portions were actually surprising small. Did not leave myself or my party feeling full and satisfied. And that was a shame considering the cost.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasingly surprisedThinkdifferent25VIPDined on 1/19/2014My friends suggested that we go to M Café for dinner. I had seen it before and hadn't thought too much of it. That all these fancy façade restaurants on 14th St., it seemed a bit plain. I was in for a big surprise. The service was impeccable and the food was delicious. They had a very nice broad menu with many delicious entrées and good prices. I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you try M café.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it againChuckVIPDined on 1/17/2014Our 2nd time dining here was even better than the first. Quickly becoming one of our neighborhood favorites. Staff was friendly and helpful with suggestions. When the wine we chose was no longer available they brought a better bottle for the same price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MCafe Bar a big disappointmentjoeyVIPDined on 1/5/2014Very nice ambience and setting, but once you get past that, it's all downhill. The waitress was very friendly, but slow with drink refills, forgot to replace my fork after the appetizer, and it took forever to get our brunch meals. Once we got our meals, the 3 of us agreed that the food was simply bland - the french toast nothing special, burnt bacon, dry chicken milanese, and over-cooked salmon. MCafe says it's "contemporary Italian cuisine" -- well there wasn't much contemporary or Italian about it unfortunately! At least the cocktails were yummy and with such bad food, we made sure we drank our money's worth! Wonderful company with closest friends, so we still had a good time, but I won't be going back. Neither will my friends.
- Great Date NightdatenightDined on 1/4/2014Fantastic food (the pumpkin ravioli is delicious!) and an excellent cocktail selection. We would come here again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- M-Cafe Bar never lets you downDCKarmaDined on 12/31/2013This place is quickly becoming my favorite spot in DC despite the city having the nations biggest booming restaurant industry. The food is outstanding. The wine list is great (really great selections at each price level). The staff always accommodate our online reservation requests (window seating, etc.). The atmosphere is great. The decor is incredibly stylish. The view of the vibrant street is wonderful. For some reason it's always easy to get a reservation despite there always being a good amount of diners. Been 6 or 7 times and from the first trip, it's always made us very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still working out the kinksKayZeeDined on 12/31/2013The earlier reviews are accurate. The food was excellent. The servers were very nice, but getting the actual food to the table seemed to be a challenge for the kitchen. Also, on New Years Eve and when offering a very limited menu, not wise to skimp on wait staff.I would recommend this to a friend.