501 Fell Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
LebanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mazzatsf.com/
- Phone: 4155253901x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Lebanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mazzat
A Lebanese restaurant in Hayes Valley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mazzat reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (8)romantic (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (3)special occasion (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- not for older earsIukiDined on 9/10/2014a little soundproofing on the walls might help. There were noisy diners nearby (loud laughing reverberated) who negatively affected our dining experience. We wonʻt be back for that reason.
- FoodLoverDined on 8/16/2014The food is fantastic and the service is great. This is a neighborhood favorite!Special Features:
- Mid-East DelightMizKatzVIPDined on 7/31/2014First time dining here --- with two friends. We ordered the prix fixe menu of 3 cold and 3 hot mazzats. Enjoyed Fatet Batenjan, Lubia Bezat, and Ouzi as the hot plates and for the three cold plates, warek enab (stuff grape leaves), labne and mutabal. Every plate was delicious! The service was tops...wish we'd had time and room for dessert! I'll definitely dine here again -- many more dishes to try!Special Features:
- Good food but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2014Excellent, very reasonably priced middle eastern food. Noise level is high - particularly the rush hour traffic on Fell.
- Great pre-concert mealMrLunchboxDined on 7/20/2014Great choice for a meal before concert at SF Jazz. Food is good with plenty of choices for all. Great friendly service. A nice little gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at great pricesbaba99Dined on 7/14/2014Very friendly service with good fresh food. Wines are priced well considering all wines in every restaurant are ridiculous. Loud on weekends but not overwhelming. Great specials for the whole table. Great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, fun presentationstevesrDined on 7/11/2014We split the "sampler" and the only problem was deciding on the choices to include. Presentation was good, food was plentiful (unlimited pita), and we really enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meh - zatbigluv2dineDined on 7/5/2014Ambience is all right. Food was lackluster. Not bad, but nothing special. Multiple dishes, especially the fried cheese, had little fibers in them - maybe an HVAC problem in the kitchen? The eggplant app was good. Service was just OK - our apps, salads and entrees all arrived at the same moment. Next time I would just go for drinks and apps.
- DaveVIPDined on 7/3/2014Interesting food with generous portions. Our server was dry pleasant and helpful. Stick with the American & French wines.Special Features:
- The following 74 reviews are from the Mazzat reviews archive.
- Pre-Concert DinnermusicfoodVIPDined on 6/21/2014We go to the symphony and jazz center often and wanted to branch out from our regular haunts. We were very pleasantly surprised. Mazzat has an upbeat feel and the service was very good. They knew we had a concert to attend and everything was on time and unrushed. The wine list is interesting--some good Lebanese wines, beers, etc. and the menu is quite extensive. A great list of small plates, both hot and cold, and then some very well prepared and presented traditional entrees. My wife and i split 3 small plates and one entree and it was just the right amount of food.Special Features:
- AMAZING surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014This place was a VERY amazing surprise. We wanted to try something new and decided to stop into the first place we saw. WOW ! This place is amazing ! The star is beyond friendly and the food was amazing ! Tasty and all fresh ! Put this on your list of restaurants to try ! You'll be glad you did !Special Features:
- Nice spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/7/2014I am crazy about Mediterranean food and liked Mazzat. The food is fresh and abundantly flavorful. The atmosphere is casual and has great street views from windows all around which help to give a more open feel to an otherwise small-ish dining room that can get a bit noisy. The service was so friendly and accomodating. If you are in the neighborhood, go for it! If you like this cuisine, I think you'll like Mazzat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lebanese treatAshburyFlatsVIPDined on 6/6/2014Tucked in on a busy corner, Mazzat has wonderful Lebanese cuisine. The service that we had was great, making good suggestions and not allowing us to order too much. Definitely will return
- lebanesefoodfanDined on 5/30/2014It took a long time for the food to come. My soup was cold but I didn't have time to send it back.Special Features:
- Excellent restarauntBkdominoDined on 5/22/2014The sampler platter simply can't be beat $18 and almost a full meal for twoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK if you're in the neighborhoodAnneDined on 5/11/2014Only reason we went was because it was convenient to the Opera House. Service is friendly but disorganized, and food is hit and miss.
- Hidden Gem that Everyone NeedsBhumDined on 5/4/2014This place was amazing! The food was awesome and the service was on point. We ordered the Mazzat platter and it was plenty of food for two people. We finished everything and had to have dessert. Recommend to all foodies!Special Features:
- Share a Mazzat PlatterjaneyoVIPDined on 4/25/2014Mazzat is a cozy little Lebanese restaurant/wine bar. 4 of us shared the Mazzat platter (3 cold small plates +3 hot small plates and pita bread) and got a nice variety with reasonable-to-generaous portions of each item. We were all full and happy by the end of our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- did not acknowledge our reservationDavidDined on 4/4/2014What more to say? Had a reservation on open table, got to restaurant, and we were told they didn't have a spot for us. What's the point of our open table reservation?
- Wish it were betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2014The halloumi was cold, and sliced so thinly one could see through it. Never have i had this dish so poorly executed, and it's, fried cheese with lemon..... Not a tough one... The Warek Enab aka dolmas, were ok, not as good as homemade, no spices to be tasted or seen, but the rice was cooked and the leaves were not mushy. The arnabeet was cold and the fried cauliflower was old, limp and mushy. Lacking flavor and texture. The Rahib, ehhh we were not fond of this.. Had one bite each. Bitter, again, mushy, and lacking depth of flavor.. Batata Harra was reminiscent of Kate's Kitchens breakfast potatoes with hot sauce, boring.. Our waiter was very nice, as was the rest of the staff. However, the food was sub-par.
- Tasty dishes in cute digsB4BalletDined on 3/15/2014This is a small-ish restaurant with a nice neighborhoody feel. Dined there before the SF Ballet. The food was tasty, reasonably priced, and fresh. I had the Beirut salad (cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions) and the Ouzi appetizer (rice with tiny lamb flecks and a yogurt sauce), which were both yummy. We tried the Lebanese coffee, too, which had a pleasant kick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner before thethereseVIPDined on 2/22/2014Great for dinner before the ballet. The small plates work well for a group and there are a number of vegetarian options.
- Not at all impressiveRichDined on 2/18/2014The manager came to our table to explain why they could not serve the arugula, but she stayed too long. The servers interrupted our table conversation several times to clear plates. They seemed more interested in clean up than the customers comfort and enjoyment.
- Overpriced!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Good service... Way way way overpriced. Platters are not worth it and not filling. Good is ok. Out meal was 40 dollars each and was worth 15
- Near Davies HallSFNative48VIPDined on 2/15/2014Excellent Middle Eastern food in a very pleasant atmosphere, reasonably priced within walking distance of Davies Hall. This is our second visit and both times we've walked away happy and really full! We also bring our own wine, which keeps the price down. I know tabbouli salad is a common dish, but it's delicious here -- so fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- Mazzat is lovelysfindyguyDined on 2/14/2014We went to Mazzat for an intimate dinner on Valentines Day, and it was lovely. The food is fresh & exquisite to taste, and the menu is affordably priced. The hot & cold starters offer you a great chance to sample all kinds of Lebanese flavors. We tried 4 starters & shared one dinner entrees. This was ample for two hungry people. Likely a place you'd go numerous times and try different things for a slightly varied experience. The pace of the meal was very nice. The service was friendly, but our server seemed a little scattered due a packed and lively restaurant. This was not a problem, love was in the air, and the overall ambiance of this small, intimate gem in Hayes Valley delivers. I'd recommend trying the Lebanese red wine with your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobbybbobbybDined on 2/14/2014We ordered the Mezze plate for two on Valentine's day pre-concert. We liked it very much, and thought the service was fine as well, although there were a few small mix-ups that were quickly resolved. All in all, we enjoyed ourselves and would go back pre-concert/when we are in Hayes Valley neighborhood another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Go Just for AppetizersFoodieDined on 2/8/2014We were in a hurry and had time for only appetizers. The wait staff was incredibly helpful and quick, the atmosphere pleasant. Unfortunately, the 6 appetizers the waiter recommended all turned out to be some form of hummus which made for a rather boring meal.Special Features:
- Food is OKCleanairgalVIPDined on 2/1/2014This was my third time there and the food is OK. The service is good. The restaurant has tables that are too close to each other for me. I understand why but I do not like having my chair on top of the diner next to me. Also, it get cold inside quickly because the front door doesn't close by itself. Staff are attentive to it when they can be but it would be good for them to fix it. It's such a small space that you feel the draft immediately even if you aren't seated near the door. For the price, I can find better places with better food. I do like the staff - they are very helpful and kind.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Middle Eastern DishesShawnVIPDined on 1/11/2014he space is a bit small, so any group over 4 would probably be a bit much. If you're a big meat eater, your best bet may be to order a completely separate meat dish, as most of the smaller dishes don't carry much meat at all. Of all the dishes, I would probably say the hot, roasted eggplant was my favorite because it carried the most flavor. I was a little underwhelmed by the lamb and rice. It smelled great, but there really wasn't much flavor in the dish. Overall, though, I was really satisfied with the quality of the food. I do wish they gave more pita bread to start though...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very cozy and good foodHVpatronDined on 1/10/2014Nothing was superlative, but everything was completely satisfactory. I'd been driving past this cafe for a decade (when it was something else) and I really enjoyed walking over and enjoying a meal in their vibrant and convivial dining room. Everyone was having a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exotic flavors, welcoming roomVAEastBayDined on 12/27/2013We picked the restaurant because (1) it was kind of near the Orpheum (2) it had good reviews and (3) we thought Lebanese food might be fun. The food was really great, interesting flavors, nicely cooked. The lamb was meltingly tender. The eggplant appetizer and the cheese appetizer were delicious. The waiter was friendly, honest and helpful about various choices, and not overbearing. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- ExcellentsameetVIPDined on 12/27/2013great food. only thing missing is a little better decor/ambianceSpecial Features:
- Interesting foodregularlydineoutVIPDined on 12/26/2013If you want something different this is the place.
- Great pre operaJeanRDined on 11/29/2013My son and I love middle eastern food and were looking for a pre- opera dinner. After thanksgiving we wanted something lighter. The 18.00 3 hot/3cold Appetizer was perfect! The restaurant is noisy so if you want conversation be prepared to shout. Wait staff is responsive and friendly. Will defiantly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Lebanese DiningSuseeDined on 11/29/2013Go to Mazzat if you're looking for delicious, high quality Mediterranean cuisine with a warm ambiance and service with a smile. My friends and I got the Mazzat platter and split 3 hot and 3 cold dishes. All dishes were freshly prepared with high quality ingredients - this was evident in the subtle yet tasty flavors that emerged through all of the food. Unlimited pita refills allowed us to mop up each lovely mazzat. Great spot for small groups, dates, or family get togethers - everyone will be satisfied!Special Features:
- Solid food but under seasonedLJBYDined on 11/23/2013Terrific menu - plenty of choices. Everything we had was tasty, but both the bamieh (okra w lamb) and the zaatar flatbread needed salt. The knafe dessert was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Filled with Lebanese on FellToner1987Dined on 11/23/2013Terrific service and food. Even the Lebanese wine was quite exceptional! We had the mezze platter for 3 and had more than enough food. Beware, the spicy hummus is truly spicy! We had a very nice exchange with the owner who convinced us to try the Lebanese Red Wine and we ended up buying a bottle. Look for a Lebanese Wine Bar/Lounge opening on Van Ness near Eddy sometime next year.Special Features:
- Don't be lateRandyVIPDined on 11/8/2013There is a 10 minute rule. I was 15 minutes late because the SF Orchestra played a little long. Table was gone and we had to eat at the bar.Special Features:
- Friendly place with good food!avideaterVIPDined on 11/7/2013This was the 4th or 5th time we have dined here and it's consistently good. The owner was present and greeted us warmly as "regulars" and detailed his plans for an additional restaurant (wine lounge) on Van Ness. We very much enjoyed several smaller plates--the shrimp, the spicy potatoes, the haloumi cheese, and, of course, the hummus to start. My spouse also had the date muffin (quite small) for dessert. Wines by the glass are a generous pour and the prices overall are very reasonable. It's close enough to the civic center to enjoy a meal here before a symphony or opera performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.