2901 Columbia Pike
Arlington, VA 22204Neighborhood:
MoroccanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mazaganrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (703) 566-4173
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Wednesday : 4:30 pm - 12:00 am
Thursday : 4:30 pm - 1:00 am
Friday - Saturday : 4:30 pm - 2:00 am
Sunday : 4:00 pm - 9:30 pm NEW
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Mediterranean, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Chef Riyad Bouizar
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Moroccan cuisine as well as a selection of Mediterranean dishes are available off the menu for catered events. Special dishes can also be prepared.
- Cross Street: Columbia Pike and Walter Reed
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Mazagan Restaurant is located on the "Main Street" of Arlington on the Corner of Columbia Pike and S Walter Reed. (One block east of Glebe Road). Parking can be found on the streets around the block as well as a Private parking lot behind the building. Public parking across the street is available underground in the Halstead Apartment Building.
A word from Mazagan Restaurant
Nouvelle Moroccan cuisine offered in a casual setting. Menu is made up of a contemporary twist to Moroccan lamb, beef and poultry dishes, as well as, seafood familiar to the extensive coastline of Morocco. If you have a penchant for vegetarian dishes, those can also be found here in your choice of spinach, carrot, eggplant, and other dishes. A wide selection of brochette skewers are available off the open kebab grill. Desserts vary weekly from pastry puffs, cake, and almond-flavored pastries made by former pastry-chef and owner, Riyad Bouizar. Dining includes high tables, bar, booths and tables. Extensive bar and mixed drink offerings with television to keep you up-to-date on latest games. The hookah section is available after 9pm with various fruit-flavored tobaccos and smoke-controlled seating areas. Round out your dining experience with a Moroccan green tea with Moroccan herb mixtures designed by the owner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mazagan Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (20)romantic (16)special occasion (15)good for groups (10)late-night find (8)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Authentic and deliciousRhondaDined on 11/8/2014We had not eaten Moroccan, but were assured by other diners that this was the real deal. 2 of us got different Tagines- very delicious and paired perfectly with a Spanish wine. While we wouldn't go every week, once a month would be delicious!Special Features:
- Night out on Columbia pike!Arlgal1Dined on 11/7/2014This was a great spot to grab a bite while waiting for a show to start next door at the arlington cinema and draft house. It got busy but the service was still great! The lighting, design, music and different views gave the mazagan a gromantic/intimate/chill vibe. The food was good, it was my second time ever eating Moroccan food so it was interesting to experience all the different flavors. The best dish I had was the fried octopus, so flavorful!! Wish more came with it! You have to try their grape leaves!! Delicious! Overall great place for a night out with friends or a loved one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014I have been at the restaurant 3 times. The first time was great overall. The second time less so and the last outing was just terrible. The service was not great, the food was for the most part terrible, except for the lamb shoulder. Not likely to go back, which is sad as there are not that many Moroccan restaurants on the areaSpecial Features:
- Not the best of its kindRiddleyDined on 9/27/2014After looking forward to finding a good Mediterranean dining spot near home, my wife and I felt let down by Mazagan, especially after reading some glowing reviews from others. For the most part the food was fine but not better than at other local Mediterranean places. The except that lowered our food rating was my wife's lamb kabobs which were very grisly to the point where she did not finish them. My calamari kabobs were fine. The sides of rice and vegetables were on par with something you would heat in a microwave at home. Our server was very nice and attentive - no problem there. We really wanted to like this place but will drive a little bit further to either Arlington Lebanese Taverna when Mediterranean fare is what we desire.
- Great addition to the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2014The restaurant is attractive, the food is very good, and the service is excellent.Special Features:
- Authentic tagines!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014I finally found a Moroccan restaurant that serves authentic tagines, cooked in tagine pottery over a charcoal grill. Magazan is that restaurant, and the tagines are as tasty as they are original. The space is very modern and appealing, but it is the spicing of the tagines that makes this restaurant so special.Special Features:
- Good Food Better HookahdobberDined on 8/30/2014The food was good, although the portion was a little smaller than I thought it would be. We still enjoyed our meal. Really though, you should come here for the hookah.Special Features:
- Good service but noisyEpicureKittyDined on 8/29/2014We are group of 3 people. Food is good but not extraordinary. Our waiter was excellent and gave us great service. Noise level constantly hit 90 decibels. We had to raise our voice to make conversation.Special Features:
- Wow, It's Really that badjuanuDined on 8/24/2014I read the reviews, down played the negative comments and looked forward to what people said they enjoyed about it. The restraint looks very nice and the staff was very friendly. We ordered the taste of the middle east as an appetizer and the chef's experience for three people. The appetizers or mezza were completely flavorless, there was no taste difference between the eggplant dishes, the spinach dish and the hummus. The meat on the chef's experience was cooked well (grill man did a good job) but again no flavor what-so-ever. I have never had Moroccan cuisine that was completely spiceless. And the other reviewers are correct, the saffron rice is from a bag and the green beans and tomatoes are from a can. No joke!
- Modern MoroccoHermieDined on 8/23/2014Magazan is a modern twist on the usual traditional Moroccan restaurant. It was very relaxing and I felt like I could have stayed for hours. I went there with a friend and thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance, service and of course the food was excellent. I had the chicken bastilla as an appetizer and the lamb tagine for my main course. I eat Moroccan food often and the dishes I ordered were some of the best. I will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Magnificent!ChantalDined on 8/13/2014Great for an intimate diner or just for meeting friends for a drink and appetizers.Special Features:
- What a perfect night! well, almost.EOCBrownDined on 8/12/2014I read about Mazagan in a TripAdvisor review and it raved about this new find in Arlington. It did not disappoint! the food, décor, service and location were amazing and a great spot to spend time with a good friend after work. The food was superb, spicy, tangy, savory, gorgeously presented. My only knock? It was a Tuesday, evening around 7p and the featured Lebanese wine was already gone along with several other selections on the Restaurant week menu. The other menu options were lovely, however we couldn't seem to get the other Lebanese wine offered at the price of the one we wanted to order. So we had a lovely Spanish wine with our middle eastern meal, but it just wasn't the same. We DEFINITELY will be back and recommending it!Special Features:
- Great Service and FoodtrynewfoodsDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I dined at Mazagan for our 24th wedding anniversary. The hostess and wait staff were incredibly attentive, and our chef came out to greet us. We noticed that the chefs were out greeting diners during the night, which was a nice personal touch by the restaurant. The food was wonderful, and was a delight for all the senses. Kudos to Mazagan. This place is not to be missed!Special Features:
- Definitely going back!Foodie423Dined on 8/9/2014My boyfriend and I went here figuring we'd try it out being as we planned on going to the Cinema and Drafthouse afterwards. We were both very pleasantly surprised. Our waiter was absolutely fantastic. He was extremely attentive and helpful. We shared the Chakchouka which was a little disappointing, however, we had the Chicken M'kelli and Marouzieya as entrees and they were delicious. The atmosphere was very romantic as we'll. Overall it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Canned Green Beans & TomatoesoatsDined on 8/9/2014Food was average. Vegetables were mushie . . . I'll give Mazagan a break since they are a newly opened restaurant, but service and quality of food was below average.Special Features:
- Recommend the Lamb Tagine!DouglasParkFoodieDined on 8/5/2014We snagged the corner window table early on a quiet Tuesday night. As gluten-free eaters, we navigated the menu ok; the kitchen accommodated us with carrots sticks to go with a yummy hummus. Settled on citrus salad with raisins and almonds; refreshing with a hint of rosewater in its flavorful but scant dressing. The greens could have been a bit fresher. Enjoyed grilled octopus on skewer but presentation could have been classier. Most impressed with the Lamb Tagine, slow-cooked with prunes and sesame seeds. Absolutely delicious. Two side portions of rice rounded out dish nicely but at $8, too pricey. Good flan. Attentive and friendly service. Overall, a nice meal while watching the comings and goings in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will ReturntastefulDined on 8/1/2014Menu is not large but choices interesting. Service was helpful and friendly though slow. On the other hand no one nudged us to finish up and make the table available. Everyone enjoyed their entrees -- all ordered from the specialty category. Mint tea was a nice finish to evening, hazelnut chocolate cake just so-so. Reasonable prices for good food. If conversation is important try a week night or early week end evening.Special Features:
- Food options are questionableArlingtonFoodDined on 7/31/2014The restaurant is very modern and sleek looking - nice. The food however definitely not worth the price. The free bread was burnt on bottom. Main proteins meat and chicken were pretty standard - lacking flavor. The sides (veggies) tasted and looked like from a can with too much salt. The server was nice but overly talkative.
- Best Moroccan Restaurant in DC areaKrnArbFoodieVIPDined on 7/29/2014My partner is Moroccan; we are constantly in search for Moroccan spots to dine out (until I can cook up a Moroccan storm!), and this has been hands-down, the best Moroccan restaurant in the DC area. Best service, best food, clean and modern restaurant space. Although I don't smoke shisha/hookah/nargile at all, I absolutely love how their restaurant has a shisha section where the smoke is completely contained within their glass walls. It certainly gives this restaurant a unique feel apart from standard restaurants in the United States.Special Features:
- dinesoutalotVIPDined on 7/27/2014Food was outstanding. The only areas of improvement are the service which is earnest and helpful but a little sluggish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceLOVEDMAZAGANDined on 7/26/2014I went there to celebrate a birthday so that we could experience a different culture and hookah! The food was excellent and the hookah even better! Here is what I liked: our waiter - Abdel - very helpful, knowledgeable, and extremely customer friendly! He answered all questions! The food was hot and very good! I like the decor and environment. We transitioned from dinner to hookah - no minimum with that and they gave you a clean hose right out of plastic! They had a full service bar which was nice to make the evening that much better as well. Nice place in Arlington and will definitely be bringing a group of friends who are "foodies"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it, but expect to wait.AllesKlarGRAFDined on 7/25/2014Everything about this place would be fantastic if (1) during busy hours the wait staff was attentive to those who are not top priority (2) the music was kept low. We have been there when busy (7-10 PM) and not (10:30-later). The food is always excellent and when the wait staff realize you are somewhat a regular, they may pay attention. Otherwise, expect to wait 25 minutes for first drink and 20 minutes for a hookah. Food always comes out when it's ready. After dinner hours, the staff is a lot more attentive, the food is still excellent, and the experience is a lot better as a whole. However, especially when there is a celebration of sorts, the music is A LOT LOUDER making it difficult to hear others. Be aware.Special Features:
- The following 7 reviews are from the Mazagan Restaurant reviews archive.
- Excellent blend of old and newHnjammalDined on 7/13/2014The food was amazing. Amazing options. Have to try the chicken puff pastry thing and lamb tagine. Just perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, good drinksKpf123Dined on 7/3/2014We had a variety of foods - cigars and calimari for appetizers, a chicken tagine, beef kebab, and couscous with lamb for entrees. All were tasty and very generous proportions. Waiter was friendly and knowlegeable, made sure we knew what all the items on the menu were. Cocktails were also good. I didn't give this five stars because it was too loud to talk, our window table gave us an unpleasant view of smokers outside, and the service was slow. It felt more like we were in a bar with food than a nice restaurant. The food was worth returning for, but I wouldn't go back on a weekend night.Special Features:
- Absolutely fantastic!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/28/2014Impromptu dinner with friends on a Saturday night found us at a spot we have been looking at since coming soon. From start to finish the hospitality was outstanding, food unreal to the point that we have been talking about it all week. Manager - Chef were top notch. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014I went to Mazagan with two other friends and we had superb service to match our excellent meal. The wait-staff were attentive and knowledgeable, and really added to our overall experience. The food was excellent and the menu had great options for anyone's diet preference (meat/vegetarian/vegan). The portions were just right and the value was excellent. I recommend Mazagan for anyone looking for a great dining experience along Columbia Pike.Special Features:
- Good food didnt like the atmosphereSayneDined on 6/7/2014The food was quite good, it seems like the chef really cares about his food. I didn't care for the atmosphere. They were blaring some heavy thumping bass dance or hip-hop music that I found very distracting. Service was OK, the server spoke too fast and softly. That, combined with his unfamiliar accent, made him hard to understand clearly, but he was very friendly. He also got my order wrong, I ordered the paprika chicken and got the saffron chicken, probably because he couldn't hear me over the thumping bass. It was still quite good. I was just annoyed. They also keep the foul-smelling Hookahs in a separate room away from everyone else, which is good. Good food, but I'm not sure if I'll go back because I couldn't stand the music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+++yummmDined on 6/3/2014Love this restaurant! The food is great and the servers are nice and professional. Nice atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but service lackingMomof2vaDined on 5/24/2014We went to Mazagan for the second time on a Saturday night. Everyone's dinner arrived together except my husband's. The waiter didn't realize it was missing until we flagged him down. His kabob meal arrived 10 minutes later after the rest of ours was cold and we were mostly done with the meals. The kabob skewers were so hot they burned my husbands fingers. While the waiter apologized for the delay, we still payed full price for our dinner and drinks and never saw a manager as I would have expected in a new restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.