10406 Venice Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232Neighborhood:
South IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mayura-indian-restaurant.com/
- Phone: (310) 559-9644
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: South Indian, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mayura Restaurant
At Mayura, our food is inspired by the authentic home cooking of beautiful, spice-rich Kerala. Food is our passion, prepared for you always with devotion, love, and the finest ingredients. Due to historical diversity and the cultural influences, Kerala cuisines have also contributed unique vegetarian and non vegetarian dishes. The main spices used are cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, green and red peppers, cloves, garlic, cumin seeds, coriander, turmeric, and so on. Few fresh herbs are used like curry leaf, and the occasional use of fresh coriander, cilantro and mint. For Kerala fish curry we use only kodampuli (Garcinia Cambogia), as sour sauces are very popular in Kerala.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mayura Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)good for groups (5)great for brunch (4)hot spot (2)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Kerala Food is WonderfulwaipoeatsDined on 11/7/2014This strip mall restaurant has really delicious Kerala style food - we had a spinach dosa and rasam, both of which are delicious; my guest had chicken tikka which was also lovely, (though not from Kerala). We skipped the buffet - though I would say it looked a bit skimpy by the time we got there after 1 pm, although the dishes offered looked interested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelicioussusanhDined on 10/23/2014Although it is in a nondescript strip mall, the inside of the restaurant is much nicer. It has an extensive menu and all of us enjoyed our meal. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Not the best Indian in LAJhudgshDined on 10/16/2014I booked a group event here for about 30 people. The service was outstanding. We preordered the food for the table and shared everything family style. The portions were enormous, especially for the price ($15/per) with out 8 different dishes. But the food was just ok. I chose the place based on J.guould's review in LA times, and it did not meet expectations for best Indian food in LA.
- Hesitant at firstDaveDined on 10/8/2014Don't let the location or exterior lead you astray... this nice family owned restaurant serves good food in a very casual atmosphere.Special Features:
- Disappointing visitBelldeeVIPDined on 9/13/2014We normally like this place for its homey atmosphere and friendly service. On this last visit (Sunday evening) the restaurant was overrun with Indian tour groups and there was a buffet for dinner and the entire atmosphere was quite disappointing, noisy and disorganized.
- Tucked awayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2014This place is tucked away in a little strip mall but is fantastic, much better than one might expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegetarian sadhya - onamKennyDined on 9/6/2014Went to Mayura for Onam 2014 and as expected wasn't disappointed. To avoid the crowds we went for late lunch on Saturday as more people were expected on Sunday the actual Onam day. Had a reservation for 4 initially, but easily able to up it to 8 as more friends showed interest. Reached there right on the dot and was readily seated with courtesy and smiles. Didn't think twice about taking on the buffet as that's what we were planning on. Should have skipped the complimentary Mango Lassi (or butter milk) to eat more of the delicious food. Around 20 varieties of main/side dishes made the sadhya so much better. There were 2 kinds of payasams for dessert, but I could only have one before my stomach warned of bursting.. Great food & service!Special Features:
- A Great FindNYBruceVIPDined on 8/30/2014If you like Indian food...you will love Mayura. Specializes in vegetable dishes but also some great chicken and shrimp curry dishes. The menu is extensive and a lot of difficult choices as we have not ordered a dish that we did not like. A lot of different nan to choose from. The chai latte is a great way to end this true dining pleasure.Special Features:
- DisappointingLAfoodieVIPDined on 8/6/2014I can see why the food is highly regarded. Overall very good and well presented. Dishes you don't see often. But the service was mediocre at best and distracted from our experience. We wanted to order a lot of things but got no guidance on quantities. As a result we ordered too much and the waitress knew it. She neither counseled us or warned us. She did not know the menu and needed help from others to describe things. Probably will not return even there were more dishes I wanted to try.
- The following 42 reviews are from the Mayura Restaurant reviews archive.
- funky homey authenticsmartcookieDined on 4/27/2014pleasantly surprised. food was yummy. samosas, vindaloo, veggie korma. go for the food, value, and authenticity. nice family feel. great service. friendly.Special Features:
- Food was ok, service was not great.SunshyneyVIPDined on 4/4/2014It took forever after we were seated for someone to take our order, and the restaurant was not busy at all. They got half of the orders wrong, and we again had to wait for everything after that-water refills, the check, etc. We did not tell them the order was incorrect as we had already waited long enough for the food to arrive, so we ate it. The food wasn't bad, but overall I would go to a different Indian restaurant next time.
- Back To KeralaVisitorDined on 3/21/2014Everyone was very friendly. The place had the feel of places we visited in South India. The various items on our vege talli plate were ok, but not great. But we had a good time. Lots of Indians eating there.Special Features:
- better than yelplazoningVIPDined on 3/12/2014Staff was very attentive and helpful in selecting dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food but no ambience.zilchikVIPDined on 2/21/2014Unique regional food from southern India is tasty, spicy, and interesting. Despite the enthusiastic friendliness of the owners, the space is unattractive with too bright lighting and no atmosphere--it reminds me of a hospital cafeteria. Fortunately we finished just before a large group came in; it would have been much too noisy for conversation with all those voices bouncing off the walls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing array of tastesTomBVIPDined on 2/11/2014An amazing array of tastes and culinary variety at a very fair price. If you like Indian food this is a great spot,Special Features:
- Great South Indian cuisineRogueVIPDined on 1/19/2014A wonderful find, with a dozen dosas on the menu. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/17/2014I found this place because it was mentioned as one of the top 100 restaurants in LA. The food was delicious and the service was so warm and welcoming. It really feels like a family owned place, which it is. It's very reasonably priced. My only complaint it the lighting. It's so bright it feels like a cafeteria. And they even have the really pretty pendant lights that would probably be enough but instead the ceiling can lights blast down on you. It makes neither the food or the guests look very good. Aside from that I would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected Much BetterFromagerVIPDined on 1/4/2014I went because of Jonathan Gold's inclusion of this in the top 101 LA restaurants. The food was good, but the server had a very difficult time communicating the menu or making recommendations. I ended up getting huge orders of pancakes and mediocre sauces. I am very familiar with southern Indian cuisine, and this fell far short of my expectations.
- Wonderful Food, No Frills VibeNickDined on 12/7/2013Truly delicious, authentic and wonderfully spiced Indian food. The service is a little nonchalant, the atmosphere is pleasant but not romantic, but as far as excellent food for a reasonable price? Mayura can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian lunch buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/1/2013Loved that Mayura had different dishes on the buffet- different cauliflower, black eyed peas, different dishes. Went with Indian friends who liked it enough that we went back a week later to find different, equally tasty dishes on buffet. Owner/manager is very nice and friendly.Special Features:
- So IndianSandyjkVIPDined on 11/24/2013Very delicious, well prepared South Indian food. Watch out! Their version of "hot" May be different than yours. Large variety of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice service, good foodphilVIPDined on 10/25/2013Very nice service, good food with items you don't find in every other restaurants. Will certainly go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to find goat curry. MixedopentablefanVIPDined on 10/25/2013Nice to find goat curry. Mixed Appetizer plate is enormous and delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Indian Gem in So CaltbeeDined on 10/24/2013Excellent southern Indian food - no frills, just delicious. Terrific buffet, where everything was FRESH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian food, especiallyKennyDined on 9/14/2013Great Indian food, especially if you are looking for Kerala style. I went there for the special Onam treat, for a vegetarian sadhya. Food was just great.. will go back just for that alone. The owner and the staff was very friendly and nice. Even though there was a big rush due to the occassion, everything was nicely handled and replenished on time. Parking is a trouble to find. Have plenty of quarters and luck.. Definitely some walk will help your appetite and you will need it for the buffet..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond deliciousnsatlargeDined on 8/22/2013Don't let the less-than-fabulous strip mall location deter you. The food at Mayura simply rocks and it's not your standard fare, since the food is southern Indian. Start with the onion pakura rava and bhel puri (really different). The dosas are divine. We had the Rava masala dosa, Kerala Sp Appam w/ Vegetable Curry, the Paratha w/ Korma (chicken) and then the Chana Bhatura. Prices are incredibly reasonable and my only complaint is that our waiter was quite odd and rushed us a bit. That said the owner could not have been more gracious. Great place for a big group too.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian FoodGandBDined on 8/17/2013The food was EXCELLENT. Very fresh with tons of flavor and not spicy, but they bring side dishes with spicy sauces that you can add and they are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious chicken tikka masalailikeyumDined on 6/8/2013The sauce was rich and a little smokey - best I've ever had.Special Features:
- They brought the check forOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/2/2013They brought the check for a party of 2 buffet with a built-in additional 20% tip . Is that the new "normal"? Sorry, we're not returning.
- This was a very friendly restaurantBigSurFriendVIPDined on 5/12/2013This was a very friendly restaurant with wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian food. Have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/17/2013Great Indian food. Have been eating here for several years - love the owners and the food.Special Features:
- Was really surprised by theHariDined on 12/22/2012Was really surprised by the food. Easily the best 'Appam' and Fish curry I have had in a long time. Not a flashy place, but the food is definitely worth it.
- Phenomenal Southern IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012The best Southern Indian we've encountered outside of India!Special Features:
- Parking lot is very small...waitedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Parking lot is very small...waited 40 mins to park the car.
- If you want to enjoy goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2012If you want to enjoy good South Indian food, especially Kerala preparations in LA, Mayura is the place to go.Special Features:
- The food at Mayura is great.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/25/2012The food at Mayura is great. This is home-cooked indian food. The restaurant is not fancy, but not only is the food good but it is inexpensive. The local Indian community eats here - so you know it's good food. The owners are very pleasant and friendly and the service is excellent. We have eaten here often and having found this neighborhood gem want others who love Indian food to come and enjoy. Bring the family!Special Features:
- We had been looking for aJJJJazzmanVIPDined on 2/7/2012We had been looking for a decent Indian restaurant when a friend told us about Mayura. It immediately became one of our favorite restaurants - of any kind - in LA. It doesn't look like much from the outside, and there are always Bollywood dance numbers playing on a TV mounted on the wall, but don't let that distract you from the outstanding food here, and the warm welcome you will get from the Keralan family who own and run the restaurant. Everything we've eaten here is just right - not too fancy, not too spicy, but well prepared, delicious and satisfying. If you're a fan of dosas, this is the place to go - paper dosas and their special Kerala dosas are our favorites. Mayura is a hidden gem in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- West Jefferson is really bad.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2012I would recommend Mayura at culver city, because of their food. But definitely never ever go to Mayura at West Jefferson.Although both mayura are operated by the same owners, they have a really bad service and they charge exorbitant prices than what is in the menu card
- Not too impressed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/29/2012Not too impressed with the food, especially the fish curry. Never saw salmon used in fish curry before and the dish was watery.
- really great place. bestOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/18/2011really great place. best dosa i ever had. highly recommended. i will be back for sure!!!