Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery
9200 Sonoma Hwy
Kenwood, CA 95452Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mayofamilywinery.com/
- Phone: (707) 833-5504
- Hours of Operation:
Pairings Thursday through Monday 11:00AM to 5:00PM
Tasting Thursday through Monday 10:30AM to 6:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: J. Clayton Lewis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Customized food and wine pairing in your own home.
A word from Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery
Wine and food are natural partners. Passion and creativity make for a truly unique and educational wine tasting experience. At the Mayo Reserve Room three chefs work with seven vineyard-designate small production wines only available at the tasting room. They custom tailor unique small plates for each wine and deliver and explain their creations. Give us a call. Enjoy some food to start your day of wine tasting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery - Best Restaurants in Kenwood ›
Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)notable wine list (23)good for groups (14)special occasion (11)great for lunch (11)romantic (7)neighborhood gem (6)scenic view (5)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Deep 6 the creampuff!MaxwellVIPDined on 11/9/2014All of the pairings were very good...right up until the last one and then things went off the track. The filling in the creampuff paired with the dessert wine almost caused my wife and daughter to gag! It's too bad the last taste in one's mouth (literally) ruined an otherwise wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Second visit - will be back!FoodWineFanaticDined on 11/1/2014Visited in August and had a fantastic tasting experience. Visited again last week and had the new seasonal menu--even better! They know how to perfectly pair their wines with fabulous foods. Joined the wine club this time because we plan to return again and again. Great location and service, beautiful setting, wonderful food and wine -- an overall enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extra Day in Wine CountryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014Girlfriend and I had an extra day after a conference and wanted to do some wine tasting. This was the first stop on our 'tour' and it was well worth it. Food and wine pairings were spot on. I would suggest having a little food beforehand or after as these are tastings, not a meal. Overall, wonderful experience. We both agreed that it was well worth it.Special Features:
- Fabulous Small bitesnoshgirlDined on 10/24/2014My hubby and I went here on a Friday for lunch and we were hungry. You should probably not go here if you're starving. The food is wonderful but very small portions. It is a wine and food pairing so it's not really meant to be a full meal. We were in with a large group and I think that took away from our experience but the chef was very knowledgeable and it was fun to have a wine tasting with the food. I would definitely recommend it. It is a small room and when there is a large group, it is very loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very personal wine pairing.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014This small comfortable tasting room is bright and the personal attention from the staff and chef are terrific. The detailed descriptions of the 7 small courses paired with very appropriate reserve wines is informative and enhances the experience. A great bargain as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pairing panachebingoprofVIPDined on 10/10/2014Many have praised the reserve room; I can only second the accolades. Perfect for lunch - 6 pours paired with delightful and creative small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as expected!JtaylorDined on 9/27/2014This was our third visit to the Reserve Room since its opening several years ago. It just keeps getting better. The wine and food pairings were wonderful. It was obvious that much thought had gone into it. This was not a meal. It was never intended to be one. Instead it was a lesson on how wine and food complement each other. This is such an enjoyable stop on the wine trail that it is a must stop for us when in the wine country. Chef Clayton is very knowledgable and helpful. Just a lot of fun. Highly, highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Best wine and food pairingwinedivaDined on 9/22/2014My husband and I are members of the Mayo wine club; each time we visit Sonoma we do their wine & food pairing. Not only are we never disappointed but it always gets better. This week and had seven small servings of creative dishes accompanied by 7 glasses of wine. The chef makes all his spices and dishes from scratch. The chef always comes out to each table to explain the pairing. We have had food and wine pairings at many wineries, but this has been the best. Their wine is superb but they don't distribute, so to get their wine you either need to join their club or visit their tasting room. Try this experience once and your will return again and again to sample their frequently changing menus as well as their wonderful wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Fantastic food and wine pairings from executive chef Clayton Lewis. One of the highlights if our trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceWillDined on 9/18/2014Interesting and great pairings of wine & food, with friendly staff who explained the pairingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite food/wine pairingDavidandEthelDined on 9/15/2014Chef Clayton never fails to amaze us with his culinary creations. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasting lunch fooddeemDined on 9/13/2014Great find, great price, great food, great wine, great host!Special Features:
- Sonoma's finest tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014The tasting menu of wine and food pairings is definitely the best around. The wines from this small family winery are exquisite (I even liked the zinfandel which is usually not a favourite) and the beautifully presented and imaginatively curated amuses bouches that accompany each selection combine to create veritable sinfoniettas of flavour inside your mouth. Fantastically knowledgable and good humoured owners and staff - just really cool people who are seriously on their game. The hands down highlight of our visit to the Sonoma valley.Special Features:
- Four FriendsrusticloverDined on 9/11/2014We enjoyed the various course and wine pairings, but were turned off by what was considered dessert, some kind of beet concoction. It wasn't good, and it really wasn't a dessert.Special Features:
- Foodie delightCOFoodieDined on 9/5/2014We had a great lunch at the Mayo reserve room. 7 dishes paired with their beautiful wines. The dishes were each delicious and very different. Clayton was very personable and knowledgeable. It was a great way to spend part of our day in wine country. I highly recommend this place! Cheers.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Went to Mayo for the food and wine pairing. Good wine, food could have been a bit better but would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding TastingcirereblowVIPDined on 8/7/2014Now there are lots of wine n food parings in Napa/Sonoma but this is absolutley the BEST! 7 wines and 7 unique amusements that change complotely every quarter. A must do if you love wine and gourmet food bites.Special Features:
- Wine is OK, food is fabulouscwintonDined on 8/5/2014If you are into wines and like to see how a really good chef can bring out the best in a wine then this is for you. The price point won't break the bank either. The format is simple. 7 pairings starting with white wines, through reds, to dessert. Some of the wines are quite good, some less so, but ALL of the food is gourmet level and very creative. Each pairing is a wine/food tasting, a group of 3 pairings featuring whites, a group of 3 featuring reds, and a final item featuring a dessert wine. The food is crafted (and I don't use that term lightly) to bring out the best of each wine, in some cases making an astonishing difference. I've done a lot of pairings over the years and this one is by far the best I've experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wines not paired correctlyStacyVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had such a lovely lunch pairing last year we wanted to duplicate our experience. Unfortunately, overall it did not live up to expectations. Curt was wonderful. Friendly, knowledgeable and extremely helpful with local recommendations, The food and pairings, however, just did not go together at all. I felt bad given the effort but it just did not work, from the appetizers, entrees and dessert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's an ExperiencepfarrmaVIPDined on 7/26/2014Mayo wines are some of my favorites; in fact, there Petite Verdot from last year was the best wine I've ever had. They only make small batches and those sell out quickly so you have to keep your eye out for new releases! The Mayo Reserve Room food & wine pairing is just one more reason to love this winery. . There are a total of 7 courses and wine. While the portions are small, I came away feeling very satisfied and very happy. It's a great price for a lovely, creative experience in Sonoma wine country The only down side was the noise level. There is a farm table that can seat a rather large party and while they were all talking loudly, it was obvious they were enjoying themselves! I'll be back!Special Features:
- The following 197 reviews are from the Mayo Reserve Room - Mayo Family Winery reviews archive.
- Wine TastingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2014Great place to stop over for some lite food while wine tastingSpecial Features:
- Culinary Creativity!grapeexpectationsDined on 7/17/2014Kudos to the chef and sous chef! Their food is consistently playful and creative and each bite shows their skill and knowledge with the accompanying wine. This remains my favorite pairing and I appreciate it remains accessible and affordable, unlike many pairings in wine country (which often are mostly cheese or charcuterie, not created by a personal chef). They are gaining the recognition they deserve (yes Michael Bauer we saw your review) yet maintain the warmth and neighborhood vibe that makes them unique and, so uniquely "Sonoma".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mayo Reserve RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Visited Mayo Reserve Room on July 17 and had an excellent experience. The food was good and Clayton, Head Chef, did a very good job explaining the wines and how the pairings were developed. One drawback was the small portion size of each of the food items. The wines were all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/13/2014Wonderful experience. Poor acoustics made it difficult to eat and sip wine converse. Clayton makes it a special experience EVERY TIME! He is the reason we keep coming back and buying wine. Thanks Clayton.Special Features:
- AwesomeAmazingDined on 7/10/2014Clayton was very knowledgeable about food/wine. I enjoyed the food and loved the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over hyped. Not worth the $USCTVIPDined on 7/5/2014The tasting menu was not very good. I used a Groupon and even for $30 I don't feel it was worth it. The staff were very friendly but the food just wasn't good. And it's definitely a "taste" of each - about 1 bite. Also, it was 7 courses but multiple courses were served at the same time which took away from the experience. That being said, given how small the portions were, they had to put multiple courses on plate at once. The salmon ball was really fishy, the rest, eeeh!
- fantasticpersonVIPDined on 7/4/2014I hesitate to praise the Mayo Reserve Room because I may never be ably to get a reservation again because all of you will be there first. But...the chef and wine guy were wonderful, warm and very knowledgable, the food unbelievably good and the wine fantastic. For $35 can you get foodie food and the perfect wines to match; 7 courses, all small, but creative and sufficient for a full meal.Special Features:
- MoeyVIPDined on 7/3/2014Food and wine were good. Pairings worked nicely together. If you do other tasting before this and expect this to be lunch you'll be disappointed in the amount of food. If you are just doing this it is enough for a light lunch. Service was great (only two tables seated) from Chef and Sous chef. Ambience is very basic.Special Features:
- Great Foodie ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Fantastic food and wine pairing. Chef Clayton and his sous chef are amazing. Their culinary creations are fresh and inventive and Chef Clayton's wine knowledge only enhances the whole experience. Definitely a MUST if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a 5 star experience!GypsyWineauxDined on 6/19/2014I have been here several times. The food and wine pairing is worth the drive to find this place. Don't confuse it with the other Mayo Family Winery tasting room. I'd hate for anyone to miss out on the fabulosity that is the Reserve Room! If you are a foodie, trust me- don't miss this opportunity. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.Special Features:
- foodiefirlieDined on 6/19/2014The Chef, Clayton, is truly imaginative with his food and wine pairings.Special Features:
- Fit for FoodiesParticulardinerDined on 6/15/2014Unfortunately , we had no idea that we were the transition day between the Spring and Summer menu . Therefore, we were partially guinea pigs or beta testers The chef seemed surprised when I said that I thought the gazpacho would be better chilled. Perhaps a bit miffed. And I guess I am not enough of a foodie to see foam as a course, however tiny. But the pork belly was great and I loved the wasabi tobiko. I am not a wine enthusiast so I cannot comment on that part. Is it worth $125 with tax and tip for less than a meal for three people Up to you to decide.I would recommend this to a friend.
- quite disappointingopenandhonestDined on 6/13/2014lack of decor & noisy environment (many loud people at wine tasting areas) made it not very welcoming-horrible acoustics in a small room (difficult to relax & enjoy experience (difficult time not only hearing chef explain pairings but just conversing together); website info. was out of date -- Napa Valley Syrah was served instead of Sonoma Valley Barbera (wine disappointing-tasted 'cooked' & somewhat oxidized); strips of flank steak were served instead of grilled new york strip that were extremely tough! Desert item was literally not eatable (both taste and texture was very unpleasant). Note: Not to mention, the website noted $30 cost when actually it is $35.Special Features:
- Must-Do in SonomaWillDined on 6/9/2014If you enjoy wine and food pairings, visiting the Mayo Reserve Room has to be at the top of your list of things to do when visiting Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 7 course food & wine pairingGetawayAdventuresDined on 6/2/20147 small bites with 7 different wines and the head chef, Clayton, walks you thru each fantastic bite. Plan to be there for at least an hour and a half. It's well worth the time to indulge in a once in a lifetime experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Food and Drink ExperienceAmyGDined on 5/25/2014Seven tasting portions accompanied by 7 new release wines. Always a creative combination of ingredients paired with some excellent wines.Special Features:
- unusual wine pairing experienceowlglassDined on 5/17/2014Get the food & wine pairing. Book in advance. Totally worth it, totally unique in Sonoma. Everyone has heard of this it seems but few have done it. I wound up buying 3 bottles. Enjoyed the food, was a nice change from standard tasting rooms. Food pairs well with the wine (as you'd hope being as that's the point). It's more than light nibbles at most tastings, less than a big meal. Just perfect to keep the party rolling but add some decent food into the mix. The plates are all small but as there are 6 of them it brings good balance to your palate AND to your stomach during a day of drinking.Special Features:
- interesting experienceGourmandDined on 5/15/2014This was very nice, with friendly service and good wine. It was too noisy until several small, but loud, groups left.Special Features:
- Wine and Food2WineattitudesDined on 5/15/2014This is a terrific wine and food pairing with very knowledgable staff. The wine is superb and the food pairings were spot on. Mayo is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overall Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/8/2014Simply stated, this is a great food and wine pairing experience, coupled with the benefit of practical wine pairing education. The chef, Clayton Lewis, is not only putting together great pairings to the Mayo wines, he is at the same time, both welcoming and entertaining. This is a great value in Sonoma Valley wine country.Special Features: