Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
855 El Camino Real, Ste. 110
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mayfieldbakery.com/
- Phone: 6508539200
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m.
Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Nightly, 5:00 p.m. until 9:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Soule
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
Rustic; Wood-fired; Sustainable and seasonal. These are the hallmarks of the dishes that can be enjoyed during breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch. Many of the dishes draw inspiration from the wonderful fresh-baked breads produced right next door at our Bakery. And all of our meals feature organic, seasonal and sustainable ingredients, many of which are prepared in the kitchen's wood-fired oven and rotisserie, which allow for long-cooked flavors, and for the simple, fresh ingredients to shine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (95)neighborhood gem (84)great for lunch (81)great for brunch (74)fit for foodies (63)kid-friendly (40)hot spot (17)notable wine list (16)special occasion (14)good for groups (13)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/26/2014Place looks great on paper but doesn't come through. Olives were tasty but cold inside and warm on the outside. Carbonara missing a layer of flavor. Came for brunch the next day and the service was AWFUL. 30 minutes for a latte. 20 minutes for syrup AFTER the french toast came. 3 tiny cubes of beef in the corned BEEF hash. After 2 back to back meals, we won't be back.
- LOVEOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014We absolutely love this place. The staff is amazing and friendly. And the food is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinner!LinkyDined on 9/23/2014Mayfield has become a quiet favorite of ours for the consistently good food that is also a pretty good value, at least for the peninsula. Inside can be loud, but the patio outside makes for a nice place for a conversation and glass of wine. Our table of 5 agreed that the summer vegetable farroto might be the best vegetarian dish we've ever had. We also enjoyed the scallops and the artichoke and spring onion pizza, a regular favorite. We may go to Mayfield a bit less now that summer is over and we can't sit outside, but I'm sure the promise of warm olives and savory main dishes will call us back before too long.Special Features:
- Foodies will love this place!!!mb2kVIPDined on 9/23/2014Charming setting...beautiful outside dining...excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemBillDined on 9/18/2014My wife and I have been to this restaurant almost everytime we are in Palo Alto. Food is always very good - farm to table. Some creative dishes others a bit more traditional. Nice wine list. Always very busy so it is a good thing to have reservations for what ever service you are going for. On this particular visit we had a very friendly and attentive wait person which made the meal service delightful.Special Features:
- Worst service I've ever had thereMarieVenturesDined on 9/18/2014There were3 of us for 9.30 weekday breakfast. Didn't realize weekly menu differs from weekend. Nonetheless, we were each happy with our choices, none of which came with toast; Weird as each had an egg dish. Had to ask for coffee and refills. Waiter must have changed in doe of our meal...didn't know who to order a side of toast from. Order arrived, decided to order more as it was only 2 pieces for 3 of us for $3/order. When 2nd order arrived, empty toast plate was left on table and new order put between our eating plates. Had to ask for additional coffee cream...and on it went. I was hosting two Mayfield first timers and was embarrassed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/17/2014I like this restaurant and lunch there on a regular basis. It is usually very good, but this day was an exception. The bacon on my BLT was very undercooked. It's my fault, in hindsight, for not sending it back. Also, we had to wait over fifteen minutes for dessert to arrive.
- taste & service match creative menuMarkVIPDined on 9/12/2014this place is not cheap but it is worth the menu - everything is great and the service is outstanding - we have been here several times and it is always a treat - we love sitting at the bar for brunch and outside for dinnerSpecial Features:
- eattoliveDined on 9/11/2014My friend from out of town and I went, he loved the homey atmosphere at Mayfield, and we both had the St. Louis Ribs special. Very nice job with a regional special. Fun.Special Features:
- first time disappointedMangiaBeneDined on 9/6/2014Our server couldn't answer our question about the wine, and - although she allegedly asked for information - brought us a sweet white wine when we specifically asked for a dry one. She wasn't flat-out rude, but was clearly uninterested in us. The pie crust was overdone to the point of being black on the edges, and my husband said some of his steak was unchewable. We've been to Mayfield Bakery many, many times, so we'll still go back. But if this had been our first time, it would be the last.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014I have recently been to this restaurant and back again, the food is fresh and totally perfect! It is my new favorite place, if I am going to spend money to eat out I want it to be very good, everything on the menu is fabulous. I cant wait to go back!! The outside chairs could be more comfortable, loved sitting outside both times, but each time felt I needed a back cushion, felt like I was leaning back too far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2014I thought the place was very noisy. the special was mixed. soup delicious but the main sandwich was not edible. of course the cookie was great. I thought it was expensive for what we got and the help was kind but very confused. they brought us wrong meal TWICE. all in all a disappointment.Special Features:
- Food is good, service is bad.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/1/2014Food is good, but service is not. Everything takes a long time, they forgot specific things we ordered, and they still charged us for things they didn't bring us at the end of the bill.
- As expectedladeramomVIPDined on 9/1/2014A nice outdoor brunch with my son. Caring service, yummy breakfast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!TiffoDined on 8/31/2014We had to wait another 10 minutes with the reservation, until a table opened up outside. I'm not a fan of outside seating because... bees. However, the food was (consistently) great. The table shared the monstrously delicious hotcake. They cottage potatoes were a huge hit with the party. Service was average.Special Features:
- AverageAndyDined on 8/31/2014Overpriced average food that doesn't inspire. No identity...not classic, not unique, not exciting. $16 for a omelet with cheese and kale thrown on top.
- BrunchHungrymomVIPDined on 8/31/2014Love the french toast & vibe. Sat outside & it was great. Service was to up to par this time... ️Esp for coffee. But, I'll keep going back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the seasonal menulunchgalDined on 8/29/2014Never disappoints. Great spot to lunch with a friend. Eating outside under the trees is just lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Turn Around!skiyokosVIPDined on 8/26/2014After my experience at the restaurant, I didn't think that I would ever go back, but after speaking to management, they convinced me. Seating was spread-out, not everyone was crammed into the banquets. Service was prompt and friendly, the food great as always. Thank you for listening and I will be back!Special Features:
- LondonlassieVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great local fresh food. Very busy therefore very noisy. But great for lunch.Special Features:
- Pleasant Dining ExperienceAlexaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Our party of three consisted of one Chicagoan and two New Yorkers. We all found the Cafe to be an excellent choice to dine. The service, food and ambience were all well executed making it a very pleasant dining experience. Was sorry the bakery was closed for the evening, but gives us a good reason to return someday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceMikeDVIPDined on 8/24/2014We liked this place. My wife loved her soft scrambled eggs. I hade the hash. It was OK, but a strange recipe. Hard square cubes of corned beef with about 5 small chunks of potatoes. Predominant was the barley. Lots of barley. Tasted OK, but a little strange. Service was good and attentive. We stopped by the next morning for pastries, which were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale comfort foodFoodie4VIPDined on 8/23/2014Good variety of items, all done well. I'd go more often if it weren't just a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisegreatbutbitnoisyDined on 8/21/2014Everything was great but inside tables now a bit noisy making it hard to hear lunch companion. This is okay outside the bar area but close to intolerable on the bar side.Special Features:
- Mayfield BakerytakemeoutDined on 8/17/2014Great food! Wonderful wait staff! We made reservations for the Sunday Brunch and I would recommend both the brunch and the reservations. Even though the place was quite busy, the wait staff was professional and attentive. Our party had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the creative menu.Special Features:
- Not up to the usual excellencePAJanDined on 8/17/2014We are fans of the Mayfield Cafe, having been there for lunch and dinner. I was disappointed, however, with the brunch. The menu, as described in print and by our helpful and friendly waitress sounded innovative but was rather ordinary. For example, the much-touted cottage potatoes were tasty but nothing special. My poached eggs arrived cold. The server managed to mix up every one of our plates (quite a feat!) but we ended up with what we had ordered. I think it was just a bad day and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchRMEDVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great lunch menu and enjoyable "happening" kind of place - casual but with a upscale feel. The service was excellent and the restaurant was extremely busy on a Thursday at 1:00 PM. We thoroughly enjoyed our "Mafield Experience".Special Features:
- chewmanVIPDined on 8/13/2014Good food but a little "pricey" for lunch. Had the "pulled chicken" sandwich which was very "tasty". Also had their pizza equally as tasty. Had a sisde of fries whih was excellent, i.e., crispy and stayed crispy.Special Features:
- Normally GoodOffCampusDinerDined on 8/12/2014I enjoy meeting people here because it is close to Stanford, but visitors don't have to deal with parking on campus. The outdoor seating, while somewhat loud, is nice and there are usually tables available indoors for lunch even without a reservation. Normally, the food is quite good, but I did have a bad experience last time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dog friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014Great dog friendly place plus great food! Service can be slow, make sure you let management know they will make right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloversfoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014Corn soup delicious; creamy and full of crunchy corn n other bits of veggies. Green salad beautiful color, very generous portion, lovely but Un remarkable taste. Tout was farmed. It was pan seared but too salty. When I removed the skin the fish was perfectlycookedbut not very tasty. The bed of veggies was deliciously flavored. And saved the dish presentation was lovely. My dates stake, the special the day was perfectly cooked n served on a very generous mound of mashed potatoes. The hot gravy served from a small pitcher was a nice touch it prevented everything from being over sauced and Mushie. The room was noisy which made it difficult to talk. The waitress in training did an excellent job and her trainer was right there beside her.Special Features:
- Divine EveningfoodieVIPDined on 8/6/2014Mayfield Bakery was a perfect segue to a Bing Concert at Stanford. The menu reflects a bounty of seasonal ingredients, prepared and presented in thoughtful deliciousness. We ate outside on a summer night, it was devine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazzguy 1Jazzguy1Dined on 8/3/2014Mayfield B & C has become one of our reliable eateries for a good meal before an evening concert at Stanford. The staff are careful to get us served and on our way. The shortribs continue to be a personal favorite, and other dishes which are quite good are the trout and the chicken pot pie, a Sunday special. The wine list is made notable by inclusion of 4 Turley zinfandels and other fine red and white selections. The desserts are exceptional, and we enjoyed a slice of fresh peach-blueberry pie. In the summer the pleasant weather often makes outdoor dining very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014The restaurant has great food for breakfast and lunch. The service is sometimes slow and it can be noisy. We sat on the patio for lunch and it was really nice. Everyone enjoyed their meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and Unpretenious DiningmackleyDined on 7/31/2014Great place. Staff is always very conscious of customer requests such as a window table. It is our favorite place in Palo Alto. Mayfield has the best champagne list in the area.Special Features:
- Unbelievable, but not in a good wayskiyokosVIPDined on 7/24/2014Promptly seated, but left alone for almost 30 mins, when we approached two different servers at the tables on either side of us, they both claimed that they were not our server and someone would eventually see to us. Had to get management involved. Had a great meal and we were even given loaves of bread we assumed to compensate for the service. Bill arrived, we paid cash and even left a 20% tip, handed the cash to the server and said that we did not need change. As we sat chatting another person tossed what we thought was a receipt and walked away, we continued to chat, no one approached us, and we said goodnight and left. Upon my return home, the restaurant called to say that we didn’t pay! The story goes on, but I am out of characters...
- EnjoyableMenehuneDined on 7/16/2014five of us had lunch here yesterday. We had 3 adults one teenager and one preteen. the ingredients were fresh. The food was delicious. we decided we have to go back for dessert someday. The service was great. It was friendly, attentive and efficient. The outside dining area would have been perfect. trouble is it fronts an extremely busy parking lot. It didn't seem to bother the people who opted to sit outside. I plan to go back someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmandeVIPDined on 7/14/2014better for breakfast or brunch than dinner soup good thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen is phoning it inOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/14/2014Had an OK dinner. As always, the service is fine, the full bar is a nice addition. The bavette steak was really only OK. Deep fried fingerling potatoes? That's just wrong. And they're gross. Excellent pizzas.
- EnergeticfoodieOTVIPDined on 7/13/2014Food, service & ambiance are always a plus but for the noise level, which is LOUD to the extent that it is difficult to hold a conversation without practically shouting. I think it is misguided that Open Table would label high noise level as "Energetic," particularly if a potential diner is expecting to be able to converse normally. Let me add that I think there may have been a birthday gathering while we were dining, which may explain the noise level. Enjoyed the French omelette and the pizza, however, the country fries in another dish were more more like "tator tots on steroids," as described by the person who ordered that dish. Either the menu was misinterpreted or perhaps there was a substitution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.