Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
855 El Camino Real, Ste. 110
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mayfieldbakery.com/
- Phone: (650) 853-9200
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m.
Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Nightly, 5:00 p.m. until 9:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Soule
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
Rustic; Wood-fired; Sustainable and seasonal. These are the hallmarks of the dishes that can be enjoyed during breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch. Many of the dishes draw inspiration from the wonderful fresh-baked breads produced right next door at our Bakery. And all of our meals feature organic, seasonal and sustainable ingredients, many of which are prepared in the kitchen's wood-fired oven and rotisserie, which allow for long-cooked flavors, and for the simple, fresh ingredients to shine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (97)great for outdoor dining (95)fit for foodies (82)great for lunch (81)great for brunch (79)kid-friendly (33)hot spot (20)good for groups (20)special occasion (18)notable wine list (16)romantic (10)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wonderful Father's Day brunchJaniceDined on 6/15/2014My husband loved the burger there. We always get the cottage potatoes & all the egg dishes are good too! Excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Good ambience but poor food. The noise level is high but the service is very good. The main problem is the low quality of the food.
- Great placeSWTravelerVIPDined on 6/14/2014This is a must in Palo Alto. I have visited the city many times in the last few years and Mayfield is always a stop on the agenda. The brunch is great and lunch is wonderful.Special Features:
- the food is amazing. a bit too loudshsubaDined on 6/13/2014i have eaten at mayfield several times and have never been disappointed. great food, nice wine list, and very nice service. the only down side is the noise levelSpecial Features:
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/13/2014Much too loud. Really distracted from my and my guests experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerSWTravelerVIPDined on 6/12/2014This is my first visit for dinner. I have made Mayfield a must stop for brunch/lunch but this is my first dinner. The food was great and I recommend dinner. If you cannot make dinner, don't miss brunch of lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great peopletwgpVIPDined on 6/11/2014I enjoyed a lovely late-afternoon lunch here with my godmother. The chilled green tomato soup, roasted chicken, and hamburger were all scrumptious. What made our experience truly 5-star was our truly kind, warm and professional server, John. I sincerely appreciated John's attentiveness, especially toward my godmother who is an absolutely lovely, refined lady recovering from a stroke. He was gentle with her requests, even anticipating her needs before she made a request. And, the hostess was so thoughtful to hold open the door for us as we were slowly departing. Such a nice respite from the impersonal rush-about environments one finds in our other local establishments!Special Features:
- Parking Lot DiningHate2WaitVIPDined on 6/4/2014Unfortunately the outdoor dining area sits on the side of a busy parking lot. The oak trees provide shade but little break from the cars driving in and out. Service was spotty, the waiter had too many tables - ALL of them for most of our lunch! The Farmers Lunch menu was very good.Special Features:
- SpikeDined on 6/3/2014This spot is accidental find after discovering the delicious bakery. One evening we drove to bakery as they were closing and The BARTENDER who was taking my 'to go' order managed to wrangle my desserts of choice from the staff. We have subsequently had dinner and weekend brunch with great results. The hostesses are warm and gracious and the service consistently attentive. The other evening we dined at the bar and albeit there was a new employee being trained. We even met a lovely diner with whom we enjoyed conversations about food and literature. Elaina(?)The BARTENDER was apologetic yet she delivered our cocktails and food promptly. Jose, the GM is so kind and professional making our experiences warm and enjoyable. We'll return...Special Features:
- Great neighborhood cafeFoodieVIPDined on 6/1/2014I have come to this restaurant several times in the past few weeks. The food is outstanding. I particularly like the chicken with butter beans. The Porkchop was fabulous. A friend of mine had fried chicken and thought it was superb. They have a great wine list. The mixed drinks are good. Highly recommended. Service is superb. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotSusanDined on 5/30/2014Delicious aroma as you enter the restaurant, healthy amazing food, great presentation- parking is difficult and noise level is loud.Special Features:
- Good food but marginal servicehungryOneDined on 5/26/2014Menu has many offerings for the foodies. We ate outdoors late morning. Seems to be a bit of a challenge for the wait staff to handle a full to nearly full house, as we had to flag them down for water or coffee for the long wait from a slow kitchen. Overall, worth voting again.Special Features:
- MenudebbiermDined on 5/25/2014Would have been nice to have some larger salads on the menu.Special Features:
- Brunch ExperienceBilrkisiDined on 5/25/2014Excellent food, excellent service, even the view would have been great if we were able to get an outside table. The noise level was between moderate and excessive, we had difficulty in hearing the person across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is our neighborhood placeBurmeseTravelerVIPDined on 5/14/2014I have the same thing almost every time. Roast Chicken or the burger. Chicken pot pie is delicious too. The manager and servers are wonderful and very helpful. No complaints. High praise.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Welcoming staff. The food was good. The ambiance very pleasant. All in all a good eating experience.Special Features:
- Spotty experience94022foodieDined on 5/10/2014While the food was good the menu options for lunch were very limited. They focus on brunch (mostly breakfast items) on the weekend which really limits true lunch options if that is what you want Dinner is good. Noise level too high despite requesting to turn music volume down several times Service was spottyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatSashaVIPDined on 5/3/2014I like to become a regular places and this was one of my first "regular" spots at college. It's not inexpensive but it's good. The Camino Breakfast and the Pulled Chicken sandwhich are the best, while things like the French Omelet and Beef Hash are more acquired tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the outdoor patioFoodieVIPDined on 4/30/2014The food here is very good, but the outdoor patio is wonderful for lunch on a hot day. The bread is also wonderful. My only complaint is that I wish they had more selections for lunch, and it's a little pricey.Special Features:
- Yum!luv2eatDined on 4/29/2014We had a great meal and we will go back. It was not our first visit. They have one dish (Farroto?) that my husband can't get enough of. That is where he always wants to go. Great bread that they make at their own bakery. Interesting salads (the one with asparagus is really good).Special Features:
- DisappointingStargazerDined on 4/28/2014This was a special occasion lunch. I've eaten here before and liked it, so thought it would be a good place to go. Got there after the lunch rush, but the service was initially indifferent and unfriendly; had to ask for water and bread after a long wait. Service got better as the meal went on. Food was a mix of hits and misses. The restaurant was noisy, even though not full.
- We Love This Place!MAJTimDined on 4/26/2014This is our "Go To" spot whenever we want to go out for brunch. The food is relatively healthy and delicious and the service is always great. I love to get the burger every time, it never disappoints even though I've tried the chicken and other dishes. My wife and I bring our toddler and the place is kid friendly with crayons and a child menu. We always happen to see friends and "tech celebrities" who also enjoy dining at this establishment. If you are in the Palo Alto area, you need to stop by and try it out but don't forget to book your reservation on Open Table otherwise you'll have to wait.Special Features:
- Mayfield BakeryGiGi5Dined on 4/24/2014It was my first time eating at Mayfield Bakery, and I was a little disappointed in the food and noise level. The food is pricey for what you get. I realize it must be a favorite to many as it was very busy.
- Delicious With Exceptional ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/22/2014We celebrated our 7-year anniversary last night (which I noted on our Open Table online reservation) and the service was impeccable! We received a complimentary appetizer, dessert, and even a loaf of bread to take home. The waitress was very kind and was especially attentive to my needs as a pregnant woman -- asking whether or not I wanted my trout entree to be cooked all the way through (because sometimes it's not). The meal was very tasty and we were especially grateful for the exceptional service, which made our anniversary very enjoyable. THANK YOU!!!Special Features:
- great spotanniebanannieVIPDined on 4/20/2014I go to Mayfiled at least once a week. The food is fresh and consistent and i love the staff. Last weekend our service was slow (it was dinner and they were busy) but I am willing to overlook that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchJohnBDined on 4/20/2014The food was delicious, although we found the portion sizes to be a bit small for a $33 three-course brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter lunchJAZARKDined on 4/20/2014We were visiting from Boston and found this place to be wonderful. Great food, great service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great FoodFoodReviewerDined on 4/20/2014Ate her for Easter Brunch. The food was wonderful, as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!luv2eatDined on 4/19/2014Mayfield has become one of our "Go to" spots for date night. As always we enjoyed the food. My husband always orders the same dish (Farotto), he loves it so much. I got the trout, which was excellent, and we shared an asparagus and orange salad. We were so full we had to share dessert. Also their bread is WAY too good! We did not want to wait for our reservation, so we ate at the bar. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, and if they make a mistake, they make it right. They forgot my husband's onion rings (which actually turned out for the best as we had so much food), so they gave us a free cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for Saturday dinnerMangiaBeneDined on 4/19/2014Our soups and salads were good, but my husband was somewhat disappointed in the Saturday night roast beef special. The service was good, as usual; and they're reliable about honoring reservation times - not always the case in Palo Alto, and greatly appreciated.
- Establishment has regressedEdoErgoSumVIPDined on 4/19/2014Arrived early with reservations. Got cut in front of by rude woman with baby. Waited 7 mins to get to hostess. 15 mins from arrival to getting seated. A couple arriving after us was seated next to us. We waited and waited. A waiter then brought Madeleines on a plate to the couple that arrived after us. Finally, another 5 mins and I flagged down the petite hostess. She was apologetic and said she will send someone to take our order. I been there when it had been busier and did not experience the poor service so am a bit perplexed and surprised. To top it off, the corned beef dish I ordered only had eight tiny cubes of corned beef. They should have called it Pearled Barley with a sprinkle of corned beef. I would not go back.Special Features:
- Excellent food; still bistro noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2014The only thing I've ever had against this place is the noise level: loud! Seemed a little better this time, maybe because we were seated next to an exterior window about half-way back in the restaurant, and it was a Thursday night. On the other hand, the warmed chocolate chip cookie dessert was worth "shouting" over!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Wine SnobfoodieandwinesnobVIPDined on 4/15/2014This is one of the best restaurants in Palo Alto hands down. It is unassuming yet elegant, great menu with excellent choices and a terrific team of waiters and waitresses. Unfortunately I didn't get the name of our waiter, a very tall (the tallest) and pleasant gentleman. He took care of us that we felt like "spoiled brats". He is great. The food.... delicious as always, got the meatballs (meatball Tuesday), the trout, and the penne. Everything was just delicious. Congratulations to the chef, staff, and management.Special Features:
- Room for improvementdoodaaDined on 4/11/2014i wasn't able to give Mayfield the highest rating because of 1) excessive noise level and 2) uncomfortable seating for anyone not sitting in a booth. I think this would be easily dealt with; just invest in some better seating! The kitchen is creative, and the atmosphere is lively, but the noise level makes it next to impossible to talk with a person seated across from you. Having said that, I would gladly go again and it would become my go-to restaurant if I could know that these issues had been addressed. The bakery run by the same establishment, next door, is first rate, and the issues of seating and noise aren't material.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and busyStanfordFanVIPDined on 4/11/2014The cauliflower soup and kale salad were outstanding. It was hard to get service. I finally had to ask the hostess to send a waiter to take our order. It was also so noisy it was a bit hard to hear my lunch companion at times. If there had been a table outside, it might have been easier to hear.Special Features:
- Lunch for 3LarryDined on 4/10/2014My guests and I had lunch at 2:45 the other day, so the restaurant was very quiet. Our lunches included the burger, which was juicy and outstanding in taste and presentation. Likewise, the kale salad was delicious and a large portion. The avocado bacon club sandwich was tasty but a bit too greasy, as the rye bread was fried and too much oil (I assume) remained in the saturated bread. Overall, we were very pleased and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food always reliably goodMangiaBeneDined on 4/10/2014Mayfield Bakery always has good food. I go often for both lunch and dinner, and here is my only quibble: while the dinner servers are excellent, the lunch servers just aren't. Not only the three of us, but also people around us had to practically jump up to get attention to ask for more water, more coffee, a spoon for the soup (why didn't it come with the soup?), etc.
- Good but not greatMunchingMarkVIPDined on 4/6/2014Great location, appropriate menu, fairly reasonable prices. Service was very slow and our waiter was not very responsive. Kind of made the meal less than memorable. We had been once before for breakfast. This was our first time for dinner. Service is affecting the overall score.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatmidpendinerDined on 4/5/2014I've been to Mayfield several times for brunch, lunch and now dinner. The food is always good and the service is exceptional. During this dinner the soup of the day that my wife ordered wasn't fantastic. The server sensing that she wasn't completely happy insisted that she take away that bowl and bring out a different soup that my wife enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, ok food for priceSainDined on 4/5/2014The food was pretty good, but we had higher expectations for the price. Everything was good, but the taste just lacked a certain wow factor. We ordered the french toast, chicken sandwich, and kid's pancake. The pancake was the most impressive. The ambiance was great. It was lively and noisy, but the booth also retained sense of privacy. Our 2 year old was able to somewhat crawl and sprawl in the booth. The mirrors were a nice touch so that the booth was private without being claustrophobic. Service was a little on the slow side, but they are very busy. Reservations are definitely recommended. Parking can be a bit difficult, but there are some nice walking about to do. We also got the free Madeleine cookies after asking for them.Special Features: