Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
855 El Camino Real, Ste. 110
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mayfieldbakery.com/
- Phone: 6508539200
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m.
Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Nightly, 5:00 p.m. until 9:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Soule
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
Rustic; Wood-fired; Sustainable and seasonal. These are the hallmarks of the dishes that can be enjoyed during breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch. Many of the dishes draw inspiration from the wonderful fresh-baked breads produced right next door at our Bakery. And all of our meals feature organic, seasonal and sustainable ingredients, many of which are prepared in the kitchen's wood-fired oven and rotisserie, which allow for long-cooked flavors, and for the simple, fresh ingredients to shine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (86)neighborhood gem (78)great for lunch (72)great for brunch (69)fit for foodies (66)kid-friendly (36)good for groups (19)hot spot (17)special occasion (16)notable wine list (14)romantic (8)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- SusanDined on 10/21/2014Great soups, pecan pie was extremely lack luster and no fruit pie option- The Shepards Pie was also not great, just ok...Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood locationSoozcaDined on 10/13/2014Had dinner outside with two friends. I had the steak which was done to perfection, however the side of grilled romaine was soggy. Another had the burger which looked tasty and by all reports was delish. The third person had the pasta which she said was good but not great. We had fresh heirloom tomatoes prior to dinner and the chef sent over some very tasty pumpkin soup. We got a complimentary dessert for the birthday girl.. A healthy size piece of yummy nut cake with ice cream and a candle. As usual we got to take home loaves of leftover bread from the bakery..always a nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite Kale SaladTonigogoVIPDined on 10/8/2014I hate kale, well I seriously dislike preparations I have had this far. Eat it solo forget it! Mayfiled's has come up with a way to tackle kale. The new salad has maple and nuts and beets to soften the natural bitterness of kale-a vegetarians delight! I was convinced by our energetic, kind, attentive, waiter to try it. I explained that I don't like kale--even though I know how good it is for me, its loaded with nutrients and is easily produced crop ecofriendly He insisted. I ate it. Best kale ever! You have to try it. My husband had the signature entree- rotisserie chicken--always amazingly juicy, and flavorful. Great place to eat in Palo Alto. I recommend if romantic or if conversation is the goal request a booth, the tables can be noisy.Special Features:
- Standing on its laurelsEJKSFAreaVIPDined on 10/6/2014While Mayfield was once a novel and creative restaurant, it is now repetitive and uninteresting. Its menu hasn't changed in two years, and the kitchen staff has seemingly lost interest as well. Dishes are mediocre at best. Carbonara sauce was gummy and overly salty because they used bacon not pancetta; fried chicken was greasy and accompanied by a lump of overboiled greens of indeterminate origin. And the noise? Impossible to communicate in less than a shout – eating outside is the only possible way to have a conversation. It's time for a major revamp of menu and ambience.Special Features:
- first time disappointedfavoriteDined on 10/6/2014food had much more oil and butter than previous trips; food came not hot, coffee came not hotSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodjimgDined on 10/5/2014Been there multiple times. Ate outdoors - very nice. Find indoors during busy times irritatingly noisy. The rating for noise level forces a positive description =energetic -totally inappropriate description. Still, food is very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/4/2014The service is superior and the menu selections are excellent !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awful service not going backALZtDined on 10/1/2014We came here quite a few times, but last time we went for lunch left us with a sour taste, for awful service. our waiter kept making faces and had an attitude and everybody felt bad because of this and we basically rushed to get out of there and went somewhere else to get coffee and relax. we were a group of moms with babies. made reservations way in advance. yet they chose to sit us in the only fun sunny place of the patio instead of the shade. having babies/children with us you would think they would be more considerate and seat us in shade. we were in the hottest part, totally in sun. our waitress was having the worst attitude, did not take orders as one should, rushed to leave, and acted very annoyed. we were honestly shocked.
- Donovan59VIPDined on 9/28/2014We live in city and were at Cafe des Amis last Tuesday and going to Spruce tonight for my birthday - so was excited when friend who's a concierge recommended this restaurant (which is part of the restaurant group mentioned). The waiter was wonderful and three of us ordered one of the items he recommended - the short ribs - which sounded delicious - and while very tender - they just didn't have any flavor. I tasted a smokiness but nothing else - and felt bad that three out of the four of us had it. Everything else was wonderful - just disappointed with the entree! Would definitely give it another try if I'm down in Palo Alto.Special Features:
- We love Mayfield Bakery and CafegrizzlecatDined on 9/28/2014My husband and I always have a wonderful time there, particularly when we sit in a booth. The food is reliable and we appreciate the friendly and helpful staff. What makes the restaurant special is the association with a bakery....the warm bread served when you sit down is like a Welcome sign compared to having to ask and pay for bread. We like the seasonal menus but also love that Mayfield serves staples like cheeseburgers. The only downside is the parking....we have a much better experience when we walk to lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/26/2014Place looks great on paper but doesn't come through. Olives were tasty but cold inside and warm on the outside. Carbonara missing a layer of flavor. Came for brunch the next day and the service was AWFUL. 30 minutes for a latte. 20 minutes for syrup AFTER the french toast came. 3 tiny cubes of beef in the corned BEEF hash. After 2 back to back meals, we won't be back.
- LOVEAmazingDined on 9/25/2014We absolutely love this place. The staff is amazing and friendly. And the food is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinner!LinkyDined on 9/23/2014Mayfield has become a quiet favorite of ours for the consistently good food that is also a pretty good value, at least for the peninsula. Inside can be loud, but the patio outside makes for a nice place for a conversation and glass of wine. Our table of 5 agreed that the summer vegetable farroto might be the best vegetarian dish we've ever had. We also enjoyed the scallops and the artichoke and spring onion pizza, a regular favorite. We may go to Mayfield a bit less now that summer is over and we can't sit outside, but I'm sure the promise of warm olives and savory main dishes will call us back before too long.Special Features:
- Foodies will love this place!!!mb2kVIPDined on 9/23/2014Charming setting...beautiful outside dining...excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemBillDined on 9/18/2014My wife and I have been to this restaurant almost everytime we are in Palo Alto. Food is always very good - farm to table. Some creative dishes others a bit more traditional. Nice wine list. Always very busy so it is a good thing to have reservations for what ever service you are going for. On this particular visit we had a very friendly and attentive wait person which made the meal service delightful.Special Features:
- Worst service I've ever had thereMarieVenturesDined on 9/18/2014There were3 of us for 9.30 weekday breakfast. Didn't realize weekly menu differs from weekend. Nonetheless, we were each happy with our choices, none of which came with toast; Weird as each had an egg dish. Had to ask for coffee and refills. Waiter must have changed in doe of our meal...didn't know who to order a side of toast from. Order arrived, decided to order more as it was only 2 pieces for 3 of us for $3/order. When 2nd order arrived, empty toast plate was left on table and new order put between our eating plates. Had to ask for additional coffee cream...and on it went. I was hosting two Mayfield first timers and was embarrassed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/17/2014I like this restaurant and lunch there on a regular basis. It is usually very good, but this day was an exception. The bacon on my BLT was very undercooked. It's my fault, in hindsight, for not sending it back. Also, we had to wait over fifteen minutes for dessert to arrive.
- Town and Country Top Spotmaven88Dined on 9/14/2014It may be early, but I think Mayfield is easily one of the best additions to the Palo Alto food scene for 2009, if not 2008 as well. (Last year's Pampas was good too, but eventually too one-sided [blasphemous for a carnivore like myself to admit that]) I look forward to returning to Mayfield and trying their brunch. Admittedly, while Mayfield isn't cheap ($20 for entrees), the stellar food, service, and atmosphere make it a winning entry.Special Features:
- taste & service match creative menuMarkVIPDined on 9/12/2014this place is not cheap but it is worth the menu - everything is great and the service is outstanding - we have been here several times and it is always a treat - we love sitting at the bar for brunch and outside for dinnerSpecial Features:
- eattoliveDined on 9/11/2014My friend from out of town and I went, he loved the homey atmosphere at Mayfield, and we both had the St. Louis Ribs special. Very nice job with a regional special. Fun.Special Features:
- first time disappointedMangiaBeneDined on 9/6/2014Our server couldn't answer our question about the wine, and - although she allegedly asked for information - brought us a sweet white wine when we specifically asked for a dry one. She wasn't flat-out rude, but was clearly uninterested in us. The pie crust was overdone to the point of being black on the edges, and my husband said some of his steak was unchewable. We've been to Mayfield Bakery many, many times, so we'll still go back. But if this had been our first time, it would be the last.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014I have recently been to this restaurant and back again, the food is fresh and totally perfect! It is my new favorite place, if I am going to spend money to eat out I want it to be very good, everything on the menu is fabulous. I cant wait to go back!! The outside chairs could be more comfortable, loved sitting outside both times, but each time felt I needed a back cushion, felt like I was leaning back too far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/2/2014I thought the place was very noisy. the special was mixed. soup delicious but the main sandwich was not edible. of course the cookie was great. I thought it was expensive for what we got and the help was kind but very confused. they brought us wrong meal TWICE. all in all a disappointment.Special Features:
- Food is good, service is bad.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/1/2014Food is good, but service is not. Everything takes a long time, they forgot specific things we ordered, and they still charged us for things they didn't bring us at the end of the bill.
- As expectedladeramomVIPDined on 9/1/2014A nice outdoor brunch with my son. Caring service, yummy breakfast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!TiffoDined on 8/31/2014We had to wait another 10 minutes with the reservation, until a table opened up outside. I'm not a fan of outside seating because... bees. However, the food was (consistently) great. The table shared the monstrously delicious hotcake. They cottage potatoes were a huge hit with the party. Service was average.Special Features:
- AverageAndyDined on 8/31/2014Overpriced average food that doesn't inspire. No identity...not classic, not unique, not exciting. $16 for a omelet with cheese and kale thrown on top.
- BrunchHungrymomVIPDined on 8/31/2014Love the french toast & vibe. Sat outside & it was great. Service was to up to par this time... ️Esp for coffee. But, I'll keep going back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the seasonal menulunchgalDined on 8/29/2014Never disappoints. Great spot to lunch with a friend. Eating outside under the trees is just lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Turn Around!skiyokosVIPDined on 8/26/2014After my experience at the restaurant, I didn't think that I would ever go back, but after speaking to management, they convinced me. Seating was spread-out, not everyone was crammed into the banquets. Service was prompt and friendly, the food great as always. Thank you for listening and I will be back!Special Features:
- LondonlassieVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great local fresh food. Very busy therefore very noisy. But great for lunch.Special Features:
- Pleasant Dining ExperienceAlexaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Our party of three consisted of one Chicagoan and two New Yorkers. We all found the Cafe to be an excellent choice to dine. The service, food and ambience were all well executed making it a very pleasant dining experience. Was sorry the bakery was closed for the evening, but gives us a good reason to return someday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceMikeDVIPDined on 8/24/2014We liked this place. My wife loved her soft scrambled eggs. I hade the hash. It was OK, but a strange recipe. Hard square cubes of corned beef with about 5 small chunks of potatoes. Predominant was the barley. Lots of barley. Tasted OK, but a little strange. Service was good and attentive. We stopped by the next morning for pastries, which were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale comfort foodFoodie4VIPDined on 8/23/2014Good variety of items, all done well. I'd go more often if it weren't just a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisegreatbutbitnoisyDined on 8/21/2014Everything was great but inside tables now a bit noisy making it hard to hear lunch companion. This is okay outside the bar area but close to intolerable on the bar side.Special Features:
- luv2eatgoodfoodDined on 8/18/2014Had a wonderful experience. Very accommodating and great service!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mayfield BakerytakemeoutDined on 8/17/2014Great food! Wonderful wait staff! We made reservations for the Sunday Brunch and I would recommend both the brunch and the reservations. Even though the place was quite busy, the wait staff was professional and attentive. Our party had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the creative menu.Special Features:
- Not up to the usual excellencePAJanVIPDined on 8/17/2014We are fans of the Mayfield Cafe, having been there for lunch and dinner. I was disappointed, however, with the brunch. The menu, as described in print and by our helpful and friendly waitress sounded innovative but was rather ordinary. For example, the much-touted cottage potatoes were tasty but nothing special. My poached eggs arrived cold. The server managed to mix up every one of our plates (quite a feat!) but we ended up with what we had ordered. I think it was just a bad day and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchRMEDVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great lunch menu and enjoyable "happening" kind of place - casual but with a upscale feel. The service was excellent and the restaurant was extremely busy on a Thursday at 1:00 PM. We thoroughly enjoyed our "Mafield Experience".Special Features:
- chewmanVIPDined on 8/13/2014Good food but a little "pricey" for lunch. Had the "pulled chicken" sandwich which was very "tasty". Also had their pizza equally as tasty. Had a sisde of fries whih was excellent, i.e., crispy and stayed crispy.Special Features: