Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
855 El Camino Real, Ste. 110
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mayfieldbakery.com/
- Phone: 6508539200
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m.
Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Nightly, 5:00 p.m. until 9:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Soule
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
Rustic; Wood-fired; Sustainable and seasonal. These are the hallmarks of the dishes that can be enjoyed during breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch. Many of the dishes draw inspiration from the wonderful fresh-baked breads produced right next door at our Bakery. And all of our meals feature organic, seasonal and sustainable ingredients, many of which are prepared in the kitchen's wood-fired oven and rotisserie, which allow for long-cooked flavors, and for the simple, fresh ingredients to shine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (92)great for lunch (82)neighborhood gem (74)great for brunch (68)fit for foodies (56)kid-friendly (38)special occasion (20)notable wine list (14)good for groups (13)hot spot (13)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Overpriced average food that doesn't inspire. No identity...not classic, not unique, not exciting. $16 for a omelet with cheese and kale thrown on top.
- BrunchHungrymomVIPDined on 8/31/2014Love the french toast & vibe. Sat outside & it was great. Service was to up to par this time... ️Esp for coffee. But, I'll keep going back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the seasonal menulunchgalDined on 8/29/2014Never disappoints. Great spot to lunch with a friend. Eating outside under the trees is just lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Turn Around!skiyokosVIPDined on 8/26/2014After my experience at the restaurant, I didn't think that I would ever go back, but after speaking to management, they convinced me. Seating was spread-out, not everyone was crammed into the banquets. Service was prompt and friendly, the food great as always. Thank you for listening and I will be back!Special Features:
- LondonlassieVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great local fresh food. Very busy therefore very noisy. But great for lunch.Special Features:
- Pleasant Dining ExperienceAlexaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Our party of three consisted of one Chicagoan and two New Yorkers. We all found the Cafe to be an excellent choice to dine. The service, food and ambience were all well executed making it a very pleasant dining experience. Was sorry the bakery was closed for the evening, but gives us a good reason to return someday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceMikeDVIPDined on 8/24/2014We liked this place. My wife loved her soft scrambled eggs. I hade the hash. It was OK, but a strange recipe. Hard square cubes of corned beef with about 5 small chunks of potatoes. Predominant was the barley. Lots of barley. Tasted OK, but a little strange. Service was good and attentive. We stopped by the next morning for pastries, which were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale comfort foodFoodie4VIPDined on 8/23/2014Good variety of items, all done well. I'd go more often if it weren't just a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisegreatbutbitnoisyDined on 8/21/2014Everything was great but inside tables now a bit noisy making it hard to hear lunch companion. This is okay outside the bar area but close to intolerable on the bar side.Special Features:
- Mayfield BakerytakemeoutDined on 8/17/2014Great food! Wonderful wait staff! We made reservations for the Sunday Brunch and I would recommend both the brunch and the reservations. Even though the place was quite busy, the wait staff was professional and attentive. Our party had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the creative menu.Special Features:
- Not up to the usual excellencePAJanDined on 8/17/2014We are fans of the Mayfield Cafe, having been there for lunch and dinner. I was disappointed, however, with the brunch. The menu, as described in print and by our helpful and friendly waitress sounded innovative but was rather ordinary. For example, the much-touted cottage potatoes were tasty but nothing special. My poached eggs arrived cold. The server managed to mix up every one of our plates (quite a feat!) but we ended up with what we had ordered. I think it was just a bad day and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchRMEDVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great lunch menu and enjoyable "happening" kind of place - casual but with a upscale feel. The service was excellent and the restaurant was extremely busy on a Thursday at 1:00 PM. We thoroughly enjoyed our "Mafield Experience".Special Features:
- chewmanVIPDined on 8/13/2014Good food but a little "pricey" for lunch. Had the "pulled chicken" sandwich which was very "tasty". Also had their pizza equally as tasty. Had a sisde of fries whih was excellent, i.e., crispy and stayed crispy.Special Features:
- Normally GoodOffCampusDinerDined on 8/12/2014I enjoy meeting people here because it is close to Stanford, but visitors don't have to deal with parking on campus. The outdoor seating, while somewhat loud, is nice and there are usually tables available indoors for lunch even without a reservation. Normally, the food is quite good, but I did have a bad experience last time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dog friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014Great dog friendly place plus great food! Service can be slow, make sure you let management know they will make right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloversfoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014Corn soup delicious; creamy and full of crunchy corn n other bits of veggies. Green salad beautiful color, very generous portion, lovely but Un remarkable taste. Tout was farmed. It was pan seared but too salty. When I removed the skin the fish was perfectlycookedbut not very tasty. The bed of veggies was deliciously flavored. And saved the dish presentation was lovely. My dates stake, the special the day was perfectly cooked n served on a very generous mound of mashed potatoes. The hot gravy served from a small pitcher was a nice touch it prevented everything from being over sauced and Mushie. The room was noisy which made it difficult to talk. The waitress in training did an excellent job and her trainer was right there beside her.Special Features:
- Divine EveningfoodieVIPDined on 8/6/2014Mayfield Bakery was a perfect segue to a Bing Concert at Stanford. The menu reflects a bounty of seasonal ingredients, prepared and presented in thoughtful deliciousness. We ate outside on a summer night, it was devine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazzguy 1Jazzguy1Dined on 8/3/2014Mayfield B & C has become one of our reliable eateries for a good meal before an evening concert at Stanford. The staff are careful to get us served and on our way. The shortribs continue to be a personal favorite, and other dishes which are quite good are the trout and the chicken pot pie, a Sunday special. The wine list is made notable by inclusion of 4 Turley zinfandels and other fine red and white selections. The desserts are exceptional, and we enjoyed a slice of fresh peach-blueberry pie. In the summer the pleasant weather often makes outdoor dining very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014The restaurant has great food for breakfast and lunch. The service is sometimes slow and it can be noisy. We sat on the patio for lunch and it was really nice. Everyone enjoyed their meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and Unpretenious DiningmackleyDined on 7/31/2014Great place. Staff is always very conscious of customer requests such as a window table. It is our favorite place in Palo Alto. Mayfield has the best champagne list in the area.Special Features:
- Unbelievable, but not in a good wayskiyokosVIPDined on 7/24/2014Promptly seated, but left alone for almost 30 mins, when we approached two different servers at the tables on either side of us, they both claimed that they were not our server and someone would eventually see to us. Had to get management involved. Had a great meal and we were even given loaves of bread we assumed to compensate for the service. Bill arrived, we paid cash and even left a 20% tip, handed the cash to the server and said that we did not need change. As we sat chatting another person tossed what we thought was a receipt and walked away, we continued to chat, no one approached us, and we said goodnight and left. Upon my return home, the restaurant called to say that we didn’t pay! The story goes on, but I am out of characters...
- EnjoyableMenehuneDined on 7/16/2014five of us had lunch here yesterday. We had 3 adults one teenager and one preteen. the ingredients were fresh. The food was delicious. we decided we have to go back for dessert someday. The service was great. It was friendly, attentive and efficient. The outside dining area would have been perfect. trouble is it fronts an extremely busy parking lot. It didn't seem to bother the people who opted to sit outside. I plan to go back someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmandeVIPDined on 7/14/2014better for breakfast or brunch than dinner soup good thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen is phoning it inOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/14/2014Had an OK dinner. As always, the service is fine, the full bar is a nice addition. The bavette steak was really only OK. Deep fried fingerling potatoes? That's just wrong. And they're gross. Excellent pizzas.
- EnergeticfoodieOTVIPDined on 7/13/2014Food, service & ambiance are always a plus but for the noise level, which is LOUD to the extent that it is difficult to hold a conversation without practically shouting. I think it is misguided that Open Table would label high noise level as "Energetic," particularly if a potential diner is expecting to be able to converse normally. Let me add that I think there may have been a birthday gathering while we were dining, which may explain the noise level. Enjoyed the French omelette and the pizza, however, the country fries in another dish were more more like "tator tots on steroids," as described by the person who ordered that dish. Either the menu was misinterpreted or perhaps there was a substitution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underseasoned,againJeff7VIPDined on 7/12/2014Have been to Mayfield several times. Food is consistently made from high quality ingredients, but is most often bland. This time, service was very ragged. Whole table was picked up after appetizer and server was several times wandering around with dishes, not knowing what table they belonged to. It's nice to have the option to sit outside, but Mayfield really needs to be better than it is.Special Features:
- OKPAPersonDined on 7/11/2014Early dinner. Service was OK. My wife ordered a drink from the menu that the bar no longer makes (server said they did not have pineapple juice?), the alternative suggested by the server did not work. We felt like eating simply, which meant hamburgers. They were fine. Took a bit of asking to get more water at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outfemmefoodieDined on 7/8/2014I went to this restaurant with two friends I haven't seen in a long time. The noise level was low so we could talk which was important. The food came before the wine and the wine had gone sour so we got another wine. The food was somewhat exotic but not special and the ingredients were difficult to eat on a pizza. Artichokes sometimes need outer leaves removed if you know what I mean. It was ok but I wouldn't make a habit of eating there.Special Features:
- Gd food at affordable pricesOhmanVIPDined on 7/5/2014We frequent Mayfield's pretty often as the food r pretty consistent. However, this time round, our server was hard to locate when we needed help. We were disappointed that the Saturday's special "prime rib" was not on the menu. Would be nice if they change up on the desserts a little or have special desserts for weekends?Special Features:
- Fun mealLaurahVIPDined on 7/5/2014Nice dinner before music event at Stanford. We each started with a bowl of the green pea soup which was excellent -- cold and fresh. My husband had the special strip steak, which was perfectly prepared and he enjoyed. I had the harissa-spiced yellowtail. That was excellent, imaginative and tasty. Two glasses of a lovely sancerre rose completed the meal. Oh, and a very large slice of blueberry pie -- stuffed with berries, but a little dry to my taste.Special Features:
- Open on 4th of JulyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/4/2014This restaurant was one of the few places around Palo Alto and Menlo Park that was open for lunch on July 4th . Our waitress was prompt and attentive and the food came out quickly even though the place was busy. The soft scrambled eggs and burger that my mother and friend ordered looked fine. Onion rings were crisp but greasy. Overall our orders were satisfactory though seemed overpriced, such as the $16 rotisserie chicken salad. It was a sizable portion, but a bit skimpy on the green goddess dressing . I could see the chicken cooking on spits from our booth seating. Dishes and other kitchen noise was very loud and in retrospect wish we had asked to sit outside.Special Features:
- Rude hostessCOWCVIPDined on 7/4/2014Hostess was rude; manager overheard and comped our meal. Kudos to himSpecial Features:
- Lovely brunch experiencekaaaliiVIPDined on 6/29/2014Had brunch for the first time at Mayfield. We have dined there before,and this experience was consistent with lunch and dinner. Attentive staff without hovering, tasty and fresh food and the "bread" aka Madeline cookies where an extra special touch. The french toast is more like a hybrid with bread pudding, but still very good. We recommend asking for the strawberry sauce on the side as it is very sweet and a little goes a long way.Special Features:
- Service was horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/28/2014Waited 20 minutes before they even brought water to the table.
- Overall too saltyPALocalVIPDined on 6/27/2014We liked the menu and presentations of the dishes, but everything was quite salty for our tastes, except perhaps the salad. Bread is quite good. Service a bit thin.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceTTSFVIPDined on 6/24/2014We came here for lunch mid-week. Excellent food, to be sure, and a lovely setting. However, the service was terrible. I arrived 10 min early and was seated - then sat for a full 8 min without being acknowledged by the staff. No greeting, no water - even though I was trying to make eye contact with every employee that walked by. Instead, they chatted behind the server station or stared out the window ignoring all the tables in the restaurant. A poor experience. We waited an extra 5 min to order once ready as the server again disappeared. And then when done - empty plates sat, waiting to be cleared. They dropped the check without checking if we'd like dessert or coffee. The food here is truly excellent, but the staff needs training.Special Features:
- Great hamburger!KristikeVIPDined on 6/22/2014This is always one of my top choices for the Town and Country Village Shopping Center. It has one of the best hamburgers around plus a selection of fresh, innovative dishes. It is usually quite crowded so always good to have a reservation. The indoor part can be quite noisy.Special Features:
- Disappointing dining experiencemvdenizenDined on 6/21/2014We've been to Mayfield Bakery 2-3 times before and have always enjoyed the atmosphere, food, and service. Compared to the other visits, this recent one was rather disappointing. The servers seemed to be overwhelmed, and was unhelpful to us. The food came quickly but the taste was uninspiring. This was not an enjoyable dining experience overall.Special Features:
- waiting too longyelpVIPDined on 6/21/2014we have been waitin 30mn to get water and bread,and 55mn to get our main course very bad service
- Good food, boisterous atmosphere!JillCVIPDined on 6/20/2014Our appetizer (warm olives), dinner (the steak and a burger) and drinks (sparkling lemonade and the Bijou) were all really good. The olive bread was AMAZING! Our server was friendly and helpful. The noise level was on the higher side, making it a little hard to hear both our server and each other, but we managed. :) Definitely a place to try again, maybe for brunch or lunch next time.Special Features: