2027 Magazine Street
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mojitoland.com/
- Phone: 5043093401x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Thursday: 11:00am - 2:30pm,
Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm,
Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Edgar Irias
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mayas is most delighted to introduce you to its banquet room, an elegant boutique-style room with amiable charm for any special event. Mayas is known for providing delectable cuisine and impeccable service with elegance and charm.
- Cross Street: St. Andrew Street
- Public Transit: New Orleans RTA - www.norta.com
Bus Stop @ Magazine & Jackson
St. Charles Streetcar Stop @ St. Andrew & St. Charles
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Parking is available on Magazine Street (free after 6:00 p.m. and on Sundays).
Park for free on Josephine, St. Andrew, or Camp Streets.
A word from Mayas
A fare of new and traditional dishes from the Latin American region with a taste of Asian and Middle East influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mayas reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (2)romantic (2)good for groups (2)special occasion (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Such an utter disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014This was such a letdown. I read good reviews on many sites, but found the service sorely lacking. It took over 10 minutes to get two glasses of wine and when we did, one of them was wrong. The bartender seemed more intent on flirting with people at the bar than doing his job. The waiter may have been dyslexic. He regularly got things wrong: putting the wrong dish in front of each of us; giving the wrong wine to each of us; bringing the check back at the end of the night to the person who did NOT put down their credit card. The food was okay. Several things on the menu weren't available. My guest loved his appetizer but didn't like his sea bass so much. I found my avocado salad and vegetable curry serviceable at best.
- Back and better than ever!LocalizedVIPDined on 10/11/2014Everything we liked the first time, only even better since they reopened. So nice to have them back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin with a FlairhappypriestDined on 10/10/2014Mayas is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant with a laidback feel. Good drink menu and reasonable wines. The food however is outstanding, there is an eclectic mix of flavors and styles that is sure to please.Special Features:
- An escape to the tropicsCreoleDinersDined on 10/3/2014Food service ambience were exceptional mouth watering & beautiful. Owner/chef does all cookg & plating. Soft shell crab, crabmeat/avocado stack, carnitas, Scallops, carribean martini & Brazilian hedalito. Everything was fresh delish crispy fried foods not greasy very flavorful. It was like a party going on in our mouth. Didn't have 1 complaint. Server was new & still very helpful & informative. Now our new favorite restaurant. It isn't 2 big nor 2 small. Dining room was full but roomy. The tables weren't on top of each other. Noise level was appropriate. Didn't have to yell 2 communicate 2 each other. Latin music played in the background which made us want 2 dance. Definitely a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 128 reviews are from the Mayas reviews archive.
- Was closed when we went.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/28/2014Hard to rate a closed restaurant. Some notice would have been nice. I suggest always calling the restaurant directly. When they are open they've always been great.
- Reservations???? CLOSEDUptownerDined on 5/28/2014I reserved a 4 top on open table show up and they were closed!! It was a Wednesday night at 7pm.
- Great food!LuvitDined on 5/20/2014Excellent service and really great food!Our waiter was a happy guy, which is always good. The menu had great variety, so I'll be back! Quite noisy though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closed without noticeWendarooskiDined on 5/11/2014We arrived on time for our dinner to find a note on the door that said the restaurant was closed. My parents tried to have lunch there in the previous week and had the same experience. I was unable to make a reservation elsewhere because I already had a reservation at Maya's. Very disappointing
- A great find!JJNOLAVIPDined on 5/11/2014I leave my review based on a previous trip to Maya's. We were due to return on Mother's Day and arrived to find them closed due to some type of emergency. Not cool on a holiday! Still, emergencies are just that so I will take them at their word. We did have a great meal at Amici down the street so not all was lost. As for Maya's, the enchiladas are incredible...among the best to be found in New Orleans. I'll go back over and over just for that dish!Special Features:
- Not openNoladinerVIPDined on 5/11/2014Had a Mother's Day brunch reservation, showed up with my wife and 4 kids, and there was a handwritten sign on the door saying that they were closed. Could have used a heads up.
- ClosedMMstyleVIPDined on 5/10/2014I made a reservation but when I got to the restaurant, they were closed for the night. No sign or notification.
- It was ClosedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Everything I read said that the place should have been open. It was not and there was no explanation.
- DISAPPOINTMENTDebdoesdiningVIPDined on 5/10/2014we tried to call and let them know we may be late. No one returned my call. We arrived on time to find the restaurant closed. There was another couple there hoping to get in early. What's the sense of taking a reservation if you aren't going to open ??Special Features:
- Restuarant closedth88Dined on 5/9/2014We arrived at Mayas to find the doors locked and the place in darkness. We wre very disappointed to have to find another place to eat at the last minute on a Friday night with no reservation. There seems to have been a lack of communiation between Mayas and Opentable.
- They keep me coming back for moreDeepfriedpicklesVIPDined on 5/5/2014I like Maya's a lot. The food is excellent and they always have quality service. They take reservations which I like. They have many vegetarian offerings which is great for me. Its fun trying the small plates. They also have a few outdoor tables which is the spot I generally request. Full bar and has an adequate wine selection too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mardigrasDined on 5/3/2014Mayas never let's us down with great food and drinks. They were having Cinco de Mayo specials so it was very noisy. Otherwise we had a great time. The main problem was our waiter. We waited over 30 minutes to receive our first drink. We had to remind him to get them. We had to go and find him to get our bill as he was sitting in the back wrapping napkins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodmecaDined on 4/2/2014Everything was great, food, service and no waiting. It was a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maya's New OrleansnodinerDined on 3/22/2014Maya's sits on Magazine Street in the lower garden district. It is a small funky spot. It bills itself as having "nuevo latino" food. And indeed it has all kinds of Latin food (not your usual Mexican). For those who don't eat meat, it has several interesting fish dishes on the menu. We had the Seafood Paella - it was quite good and fed both of us plus enough to take home for another meal. We had a fried green tomato layered with crab appetizer which was very tasty although I like my tomatoes a bit more done. There are lots of interesting dishes on the menu. I'm eager to go back to try some more. Suggest a reservation as the restaurant got very busy after 7pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for something differentnolaguyVIPDined on 3/6/2014We were looking for something different. On the positive side, the portions were very nice as were the presentations on the plates. Food was pretty good in flavor. However, service was poor. Restaurant was very slow (3 other active table) and our server was more interested in sitting at the bar looking at her phone than attending to the table. There are too many other choices in town.
- Mayas made my dayGnatalieDined on 3/4/2014After a cold, wet Mardi Gras day my boyfriend and I dragged our tired selves to dinner at Mayas, which I found via OpenTable. Our spirits were instantly lifted by the charming interior and amazing drinks and appetizers. Very friendly and accommodating waitstaff as well. Our entrees were delicious -- this place has quite an extensive and unique menu. Veggie options as well as lots of dishes for omnivores. I will go back to Mayas next time I'm in New Orleans, highly recommended.Special Features:
- Consistently great.eatenmyshareDined on 3/4/2014It's one thing to be consistently great, as Maya's is. It's another thing altogether to stay open on Mardi Gras and deliver the same amazingly good, original dishes with dispatch and good cheer despite the fact that every seat in the house was taken. I'm hooked on the Nacatamal (vegetarian) and the Tamal Criollo (pork). But don't overlook the shrimp or ceviche. And everything else I've had there. Note for out-of-towners: This is NOT "New Orleans-style" food. Come here to get a break from all that Creole butter and cream and Cajun spice and duck fat. I love New Orleans cooking, but this Central- South American food is an awesome alternative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maya is an exceptional restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/19/2014It was a few years back, that I dined at Maya's. The delicious food, ambiance and lovely service stuck in my memory. Living in Metairie, I usually enjoy neighborhood dining, however this time, I longed to enjoy another evening at Maya's. The restaurant had been on my mind; very reminiscent of New York restaurant. Thank you again for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in every way.MarzVIPDined on 2/14/2014My friend and I took our girlfriends for Valentines Day. Everything was great! We had a really good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our first time at Maya'sdelivers1Dined on 2/14/2014It was our first time at Maya's and the overall experience was great. Main problem was that we chose it for Valentine's day. Service was slow but very friendly and helpful. Will definitely go back. VD is too busy at almost any restaurant unless you are the first or last late reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed DinerMidtownFoodieDined on 2/8/2014The host was nice but clearly not a take charge person. After waiting at the host desk for what seemed an eternity, we were seated and ignored by the wait staff for 15 minutes. Small restaurant with a dozen tables and 3 waiters + bartender. We decided to walk out and spend our money at an establishment that appreciated our business. Would not recommend. Too many great options in New Orleans; no need to spoil a perfect evening by patronizing this restaurant!
- 5 to dinefriendsdineoutDined on 2/8/2014Our reservation was just as promised. 5 to dine at 7:30 on a Saturday night and we were seated in 5-10 minutes. Food was good. Fresh house made guacamole was a hit. Entrees were tasty. All in all a good meal with good friends. The chopped mango salad was killer!Special Features:
- One of our favorite restaurantsbananaDined on 2/7/2014The food is consistently great, and the service is friendly and attentive. It's our go-to for date night. Also, on warm days it's a great place to have lunch at one of their outdoor tables.Special Features:
- Great FindTm05VIPDined on 2/7/2014Have wanted to go in the past. I should have. Good food with great portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good stuffdisnishieeDined on 2/7/2014nice ambience and food. friendly staff. love the soft-shell crab appetizers. easy to share meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good first visitRonLDined on 1/18/2014Been wanting to try, so took some out of town friends who are visiting NOLA. Went on Friday night, and the place was energetic and a bit overtaxed. Had to wait quite a while for table, even with a reservation; and bar service was very slow (a waitress said there was a private party upstairs that was also using the downstairs bar.) Really like all the small plate menu selections; and everything we ordered was very good. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent; EdgarOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/18/2014Food was excellent; Edgar did a great job as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites in NOLAOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/10/2014Mojitos wonderful. Also recommend sople appetizers; chimichurri sea scallops, and flan caramel. Nice selection of Malbec wines also.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceBoloDined on 1/10/2014Food was awesome! Service by Max was excellent. He was very knowledgable about the menu and helped us with our selections. We were a group of four and we all tried each other's appetizers and entrees. All were awesome. Best paella I've ever had. Slopes were appetizer special and they were so tasty. I've been to Maya's three times and have had great experience each time. Make reservations as it gets busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013The food was fantastic! Everyone who works there is super nice, but they act like they have never worked a day in a restaurant or bar before. The bartender was awful (very nice person) but didn't know what he was doing. He made two of our drinks wrong, and then randomly charged one of us $17 for a mixed drink. What? We got that corrected. I went with a group of 6 and we were there for 3 hours. I love slow meals, but it took forever to get anything…water…a drink… I will definitely go back, because the food was out of this world good, and the ambience is fantastic…hopefully they were just busy the night we went and overwhelmed or had new employees?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is a wonderful examplexxnonicknameVIPDined on 12/27/2013The food is a wonderful example of New Orleans dining. It is not traditional New Orleans fare but the delicate spices added to the traditional seafood makes for a delight to the palate. The crab, shrimp, avocado and mango stack appetizer always is presented with flair and is quite tasty with just the right amount of "heat" to make it interesting. ANY entrée is delicious and we have dined our way thru most of the menu with the Chilean Sea Bass, Carribean Fish and the pork becoming our absolute favorites. There is also a nice selection of handcrafted cocktails and wines by the glass. Dining here is always a pleasure.Special Features:
- Finally!LoliDined on 12/8/2013Maya's honors latinamerican cuisine in an elegant way! If you crave the sweet spices used in most Latin dishes, this is the place to go! Prices and portions equate, and dishes are served in a very elegant fashion. And the have REAL coffee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mayas is a favorite in NolaFoodieVIPDined on 11/26/2013I have been to Mayas multiple times and the food is amazing. Beautiful room with old style great service you feel like you are in Nola. I tend to eat their fish which is always fresh and their chutneys are a wonderful mix of sweet and savory. Since I visit a lot this is a place I like to come each time for a nice meal in a beautiful restaurant You cannot go wrong with this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mayas excellent foodNewOrleansFoodLoverVIPDined on 11/22/2013We had a nice lunch on Magazine St. at Mayas. Loved the guacamole and the Salads. Everyone was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- convention lunchconvdiningDined on 11/16/2013lunch was good, service good...but...it was hard to get a return cab to the conv center.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBossLadyDined on 11/15/2013The food was awesome and the Margarita's were outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.