126 Riverfront Lane
Avon, CO 81620Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/
- Phone: 9707905500x
- Hours of Operation:
Open for dinner nightly at 5pm, brunch on Sundays 10:30-2:30pm, Seasonal All- Night Happy hour daily from 2:30pm-close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our versatile catering department will indulge you, from the most casual family reunion to the most elegant wedding. Let us customize your event. Call 970.790.2006
- Special Events: We have several indoor and outdoor spaces available to host your special event. Please call 970.790.2006 for expert help in planning.
A word from Maya
Carefully crafted, yet bold flavored. Rooted in tradition, yet adventuring into contemporary tastes.Chef Richard Sandoval blends the earthy flavors of his native Mexico with worldly ingredients and creative cooking techniques to create the Modern Mexican Cuisine at Maya. Our hospitality is warm and Latin. We welcome you to linger over drinks, rediscover Mexican classics – mouth-watering guacamole, tacos with authentic fillings and fresh-made tortillas – and savor the Chef’s signature dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Maya - Best Restaurants in Avon ›
Maya reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (29)great for outdoor dining (21)vibrant bar scene (20)fit for foodies (17)hot spot (16)good for groups (14)special occasion (14)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (10)romantic (9)great for lunch (8)neighborhood gem (7)late-night find (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- delicious, interesting Mexican foodLoey6971Dined on 8/19/2014We had a table for 8 and the service - as well as the food - was very good. All diners were happy with the interesting menu and the margaritas were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and view is great!!DiningDaveDined on 8/15/2014Friday nights are happening here out on the deck with the band. The food in the restaurant is very good. I have had the shredded chicken enchiladas the last three times. They are a good size entree. I can't wait to try the Sunday brunch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experienceMyOpionionDined on 8/9/2014Unfortunately the food we ordered was the worse Mexican food we ever had. The Tortilla soup is a very creamy tomato soup with very big chunks of avocado and chicken - and even if the waiter said it's "spiked" - it was not. The bowl of soup also was too big as an appetizer . The Squash Blossom Quesadillas were greasy, mushy and" under" fried. And compared to the soup the price was too high .The main course "Mole dinner" tasted reheated and looked very sad.The guacamole preparation at the table is something special - but the appearance of our waiter not very appetite stimulating - his uniform was not clean! He also should wear gloves. The restaurant was not very busy for a Saturday night - we understand why!
- Modern Mexican FoodTexasyayaDined on 8/2/2014We laughed and said the modern part was that you were charged $6 for rice and beans with a $20 order do enchiladas. But since I never eat the rice and beans anyway, and there were 4 huge delicious prepared chicken enchiladas, I was ok with the deal. We both had soup instead of the table side guacamole (whichooked great) and bot orders were good. The tortilla soup is a creamy tomatoey broth and I had a fab corn bisque that was very filling. Service was very good and the view is wonderful. The restaurant is modern and airy in the lobby of the westin. Beware parking with a margarita under your belt. Use the valet parking. It is free.Special Features:
- Great late night dinnerDrJohnVIPDined on 7/31/2014-- wonderful selection of entries and drinks! don't miss the guacamole! The chips are fresh!Special Features:
- Creative Mexican Expertly PresentedGuidoVIPDined on 7/30/2014We had a superb evening on our 25th Anniversary in all respects. Reception was prompt and warm. We started with table side guacamole adroitly prepared by Randy, a talented young man with a bright culinary future. The house infused citrus lemongrass tequila formed the base of a superb margarita. The cod fish tacos, supplemented by request with grilled pineapple from another dish, were tasty and abundant. The pipian mole chicken was a sumptuous Oaxacan inspired dish that balanced multiple gustatory levels. Dessert was a celebration plate of multiple satisfying sweets. All of this great food would was accompanied by attentive service from our waiter Zach - an essential component of a satisfying restaurant experience.Special Features:
- Great!familyandfoodDined on 7/29/2014We came into Maya the other night with family that was in town visiting and we had such a great time. Our server Kristi was amazing, always on top of things so we didn't have to ask for anything. The food was unbelievably good.. We all ordered something different and we were all more then satisfied with our food. The margaritas were delicious as well! All in all, another great experience at Maya. We love coming back to this place, they always show us a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the MoleaksuskaDined on 7/27/2014Both members of our party were tempted by the mole--and not disappointed. It is rare to find mole other than the common chocolate-flavored "poblano." I had the Amarillo with carnitas, which was light with a blend of complex and subtle flavors. The carnitas were superbly tender with a crisp skin. Fried plantains, served in the mole, were expertly cooked and made an excellent accompaniment. The black beans an rice, however, were perfectly tasteless and a disappointing accompaniment to such an excellent main dish. The margaritas were also excellently flavorful, but disappointingly small and weak for the price tag ($12+)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal, Attentive StaffCOFoodie1970Dined on 7/26/2014Dined on a busy Saturday night, entertaining a business associate from out of town. I dine in Maya often and always enjoy the experience, this evening was no different. The server walked through the menu for our guest and recommended their favorites. Drinks and appetizers came quickly and were excellent. Entrees were no different - excellent presentation and cooked to perfection. While the dessert menu is relatively small, each item is better than the next - we had a sampling of several and had a hard time choosing a favorite. The restaurant was very busy and the room always has a great vibe - full of energy but not overwhelming so that you can actually carry on a conversation. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the spot!tastysipsDined on 7/23/2014You cannot beat the view! We sat inside but with the open patio doors, we had the best of both worlds. They are known for tequila and margaritas, but I had the sangria, which was very refreshing. So much, that I had to have seconds. And the tuna gucamole with won ton chips - great combination of flavors. And we sampled several tacos, all terrific! There was great music and I also liked that I could catch what was going on with sports on the TVs over the bar, but could ignore as well. The dining room was separated and I could definitely see coming back with my kids. They would love the tableside guacamole and I cannot wait to try the crab and shrimp enchiladas next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatlorrDined on 7/20/2014The food was absolutely delicious. Great service.Special Features:
- Great Experience!familyandfoodDined on 7/16/2014My family and I had an outstanding dining experience at Maya. Right off the bat, the hostess greeted us with a genuine welcoming. She sat us in a booth where our server gave us exceptional service. Our server seemed to really care about us and to make sure we enjoyed our time at Maya. We heard a lot about the table side guacamole so of course we had to try it, it did NOT disappoint! We each ordered our own entree which none of us were disappointed. I had ordered the Filet, which was so tender, delicious and filling. All in all, this was a great dining experience!! Thank you SO much Maya!! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They did it again!Fun4FoodiesDined on 7/16/2014We had some out of town friends visiting so we took them to Maya. We just ate here last week and we were back again, when we walked in the Hostess remembered us and made us feel so welcome. We had Sydney as a waitress and she was fantastic and fun. Our guests had the Mole & Chicken enchiladas, they loved them both! The Mole comes with Plantains which is very authentic they said as they just got back from traveling south america/mexico last year. They said the prices were reasonable and were thrilled we brought them to this Local Gem! Next time we are going to linger on our way out in the lobby, there is a bar and a beautiful fireplace that is on our to-experience list. Noteworthy bonus: you can Valet park here for free! love that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small plate varietyCodyDined on 7/13/2014Shaded tables outside were limited, but we got a great table indoors right by the open doors where the breeze wafted through. This reasonably priced brunch offers a myriad of small plates - fantastic for those who like tasting menus and a lot of variety. The big disappointment was none of the signature mole sauces was available on any of the brunch dishes. However, both the red and green salsas were very good, each with its own distinctive and intriguing flavor. Brunch cocktail options were quite limited. Despite touting their extensive tequila inventory, only one style of margarita was available, albeit a deliciously tart one. Service was informed and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven and disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014This was our third time at Maya and we still think the restaurant holds promise, but its promise continues to exceed its actual execution. The margaritas were great... some of the very best I've had... and the guacamole was a quality appetizer. But after that, for every dish that was good-to-great in our group, there was one that sorely disappointed. And at these prices, that's just not good enough. Consensus is forming among our friends that Maya is a great place to go for drinks and apps during their (discounted) happy hour, but it's just not worth the money outside of happy hour and can't be relied upon to deliver a quality dinner commensurate with the prices.
- Fun, Food, Friday afternoonFun4FoodiesDined on 7/11/2014We dined here on a Friday, it was very busy I'm glad we made a reservation. They had a band and a big event on the deck, It's every Friday night they told us. The crowd was great, looked like the place to be seen. We had a great dinner, even with how busy it was it didn't effect our service. We are Locals and will defiantly go back.Special Features:
- Bad foodChuckyDined on 7/10/2014I don't understand how a restaurant like this can survive. The food was just awful. How can a Mexican restaurant serve raw beans. We also ordered carne Asada it was overcooked and cold. What a disaster of a restaurant.
- One of the best in Avon!CorySVIPDined on 7/5/2014We are owners at the Westin Riverfront. We go up to Avon every year. We always book a couple reservations at this restaurant! This is the best Mexican food we've ever had!Special Features:
- terrible serviceVailFoodieVIPDined on 6/25/2014Visited with an out of town friend, bartender was serving us. She lacked basics - filling water, refilling, cutlery replinshment, took ages to get her attention, She always seemed to be munching on something behind the bar and was less interested in the table front of her. The busser was far superior than her. The food was well presented and tasty, however lukewarm. We ordered the fundido and for some reason we got the flaming pot in front of us 10 minutes prior to the food arriving - timing was certainly off as the fumes were bad even though we tried to move it around the table.
- Don't go wit was awful.Indianabas1VIPDined on 6/21/2014Food soooo mediocre it was awfulllllllllllllllllllll is that 50 characters yet. Soooooooooo awful pSpecial Features:
- Great food, very slow service.SkierVIPDined on 6/11/2014Great bar scene, though. But you have to have patience to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BermudafoodieDined on 6/6/2014unfortunately although we were told there were things on the menu that were not spicy, almost everything had a kick to it and therefore we really didn't enjoy our meal. To top it off the guacamole was tasteless...not sure how thats possible but it was not a satisfying meal regardless of the outstanding service and fabulous view.Special Features:
- Just OK Mexican FoodleftyvailDined on 5/21/2014Food was OK. Expensive for what you get. My $24 enchilada was supposedly filled with crab and shrimp, but the heavy sauce nixed those flavors. They whip up guacamole at the table. More fluff than substance. The "chef" said that cheese on top was "like a feta or a parmesan". Well, what was it? Beautiful view of Beaver Creek and the river below. Don't do the fried Mexican icecream for dessert. Deep frying is a waste of perfectly good ice cream.Special Features:
- Fabulous BrunchChrisVIPDined on 5/18/2014We had done dinner at Maya before but never brunch. We stopped this past weekend for brunch and it was great! Instead of a brunch buffet with food wasted or choices you may not enjoy, you can pay one price and order the items you want to eat. The items come out as small plates and you can order as many as you want. Essentially, you can still have your buffet but food is being prepared individually and is coming out fresh. You have two price options, one includes bottomless drinks and the other is without drinks. It is a great concept. You also have the option of ordering a la carte but at $10 a plate, why not just do the plan and then try multiple dishes. We thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely try to make it back for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican fare at it's best!MameVIPDined on 5/15/2014This was on our list when we are in the Beaver Creek area. What a pleasant surprise! Delicious food, creative, beautifully presented. We certainly will return. Certainly a reasonable price and fun. Highly recommend the table prep guacamole. We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Great food, unlimited small plates, fun experience, friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Still work to doKellyBVIPDined on 5/5/2014We keep coming back to Maya. We are locals and have high hopes every time we go back hoping that service is better...it's still not where it needs to be. The food is outstanding. The drinks are outstanding. The service has always been sub par and we can't figure out why. It's dissapointing. We expect more out of the Westin and a restaurant like this one. The drinks and food take forever to get. Our child sat there for 20 minutes waiting on her lemonade/kids cup. We sat there and almost finished all of our guacamole chips that were served to us first before the tableside guac even got started. It was Cinco de Mayo and the restaurant was not even near full..the bar was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014After dining at other Richard Sandoval restaurants we were excited to try Maya. While some of the flavors were there we were also left with much to be desired.
- The following 114 reviews are from the Maya reviews archive.
- Delicious food, great serviceFrequentDenverVisitorDined on 4/21/2014We had a lovely dinner. Delicious food, fantastic service!Special Features:
- Interesting Food not Tex-MexabbitfdVIPDined on 4/11/2014There is Latin American food which stands up to the great complex cuisines of the world (curries, Moroccan, Turkish) . Unfortunately, these are not served very many places (Rick Bayless comes to mind as another chef who does it) and they are a bit more expensive. The menu is pretty impossible for most people won't be able to imagine what the dishes are because they will have no basis in their experience. If you have an open palate and are looking for good complicated dishes Maya will do it for you There are many places in the Vail Valley where you can get enchiladas burritos tacos for cheap. Some of them tex-mex some Mexican street food, and quite good. This is different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Construction noiseJen1Dined on 4/8/2014Great food, not sure my margarita had any tequila in it, but what was astounding was the extreme construction noise due to the demolition of their pool. A true ambience killer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the quality I expectedbskinowDined on 4/5/2014I'm just not thrilled with this place and will probably not return. The tamales are doughy and not enough flavor.This is supposed to be a highlight, since it is a tamale festival. The guacamole is enjoyable. The mahi mahi is acceptable, but twice we were disappointed with the shrimp dish-on a piece of flatbread that is like cardboard to eat-can't cut it and it has no flavor and is soggy on top-hard below. Why not serve it on rice or masa or cabbage slaw-anything else. And the shrimp were a bit raw inside and the dish was luke warm. The carne asada was cooked properly, but really bland. The food comes out presented well but the flavors are off. The service is fair. He left water on table because he couldn't keep up with us-it's a big place.Special Features:
- Great choice...Yes, a bitJamieVIPDined on 3/28/2014Great choice...Yes, a bit on the high-end but a great menu that goes beyond anything traditional Tex-Mex. Service was excellent. A bit noisy but in a good way for a place like this.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantclickchickVIPDined on 3/28/2014I have been to Maya twice and both times I was very pleased. Great service and great food. The Tacos al Carbon (for 2 people) is fantastic. Portions here are very generous. My first time at Maya I shared the Tacos al Carbon with 2 other women and it was more than enough food. The second time at Maya we were a group of 8 and everyone raved about their meals! And we are a very discerning group! We like to eat good food. Our server was great and the manager is also great and very accommodating. I highly recommend Maya! I showed up on crutches with a sprained ankle. Within seconds of being seated, our server brought me a stool to elevate my foot and another server showed up with an ice pack! That was a nice and unexpected touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guac is amazing! Mango margaritasJessicaVIPDined on 3/23/2014Guac is amazing! Mango margaritas are fabulous!!!! Get the fajita sampler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and great servicebballyDined on 3/22/2014Food was excellent and well prepared. Service was excellent with staff noticing if your drink was empty and checking in several times about the quality of the food and to see if we needed anything else.Special Features:
- Food didn't match the price!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/21/2014We went to Maya expecting a true flavor explosion. The expensive table side Guacamole said to be enough for four wasn't! Had to order a second. Several in group ordered tacos, which were more like appetizer size and ok. Carne Asada was just decent. We had four adults and three kids and the bill was over $300. I don't mind spending $50 a head, but I expect a little wow for that!Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationVernetteDined on 3/20/2014We just returned from a wonderful 5 day vacation at the Westin in Beaver Creek. I made reservations for 7 adults to celebrate 2 birthdays. Our table was ready when we arrived, the service was great, all food was cooked as ordered. The tableside guacamole is excellent!! I ordered a cake two days prior and it was delivered to the table as soon as we were finished eating. White chocolate with fresh raspberries!! Highly recommend Maya!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maya is a waste of timeLocalDined on 3/19/2014The service staff was immature and inept. Had to ask three times for the table to be cleared. And a cleaning person was working behind the bar dusting bottles and shelves - hello?, during dinner service. If you like leftovers, then this is the place for you. Everything except the guacamole is prepared in the morning and then reheated, even fried ice cream. Nothing is prepared "to order". The only thing I'll remember is not to return. P.S. This place is not in Beaver Creek as they would like you to believe. It is in Avon, Colorado. A local resident.
- Great Apres Ski Spot!RogerDined on 3/16/2014This place is definitely pricier than other options you have around, but if you're okay with that then you won't be disappointed. Get there before 5pm for happy hour and half priced margaritas. The food is terrific. I HIGHLY recommend the Tuna Tartare Guacamole! It is amazing.Special Features: