May Kitchen + Bar
17614 Vashon Hwy SW
Vashon, WA 98070Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
May Kitchen + Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maykitchen.com/
- Phone: (206) 408-7196
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Executive Chef: May Chaleoy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout
A word from May Kitchen + Bar
May Kitchen + Bar brings a taste of Thailand to Vashon Island, WA. From the 150 year old dark teak paneling to the hand crafted iron work, the interior whisks you away to another, more relaxed place. Sit down and begin your meal by enjoying an original cocktail carefully crafted to bring out the most flavor from exotic ingredients. Then consider the food. You will have to come back, because you will need to try everything at least once. May Chaleoy is renowned for her ability to bring out a depth and complexity of flavor in all your favorite Thai dishes. May's attention to detail and dedication to the authenticity of her food is clear after your first bite. Come see for yourself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
May Kitchen + Bar - Best Restaurants in Vashon ›
May Kitchen + Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (103)special occasion (85)romantic (49)hot spot (48)good for groups (33)vibrant bar scene (17)notable wine list (13)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great food. Moderate prices. Reserve early!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014The food was awesome. We had a party of 8 and we came at the end of dinner service, so they ran out of wide noodles. They gave us a double portion of the dish using the skinny noodles. Food came right on time and there was plenty of it! Wait staff is excellent, friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KeokiDined on 11/15/2014Outstanding, cordial floor staff deliver an enticing menu and offer their own suggestions and preferences for diners' consideration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clearly the best Thai food in the land.KW33VIPDined on 11/15/2014I make special trips out from Seattle just to get this Thai food. It is by far the best i have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thai FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Everything from being able to make a reservation on line to adjusting the time was very well done. The food was truly fabulous. Great flavors and variety for food critiques and those with allergies. Our waiter was quick to jump accommodated our mood and conversation. We really enjoyed our evening and felt free to have time to enjoy our time there. It was busy and every table was full, but we felt like we had our space. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Excellent great service. Wonderful atmosphere. Food was awesome!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the effortAnneKDined on 11/8/2014Use Open Table to make reservations. Weekends are always busy - for a reason - the food is fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special cultural experienceRainDined on 11/5/2014This restaurant does not fit any of the categories above in my thinking. It is a place of beauty and flavor that offers surroundings from a different culture and time, filled with the presence of unheard stories that fill me with a deep gratitude to be sitting among them. The friendliness and respectfulness of the staff extend this aura of dignity and graciousness. And the flavors and textures of the food reflect an attention to each ingredient that is also very respectful and holistic. The food is the most delicious I have ever eaten at a restaurant, but that is just one part of a greater experience of the people and the place they have created thanks to the care and creative direction of May.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai food in WAOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014The food is fantastic and inspired. The presentation and the service are great. Ask about the wood and decorations - the story is fascinating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingShellsDined on 10/24/2014Had a very lovely and delicious dinner. We met great Island friends who recommended the spot and were not disappointed... in fact, I'd take a ferry and drive to Vashon for that red curry again.Special Features:
- Special occasionMimoDined on 10/24/2014It was my birthday and my husband and I were brought glasses of champagne at the start of the evening on the house as was the delicious dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestLocalguyDined on 10/23/2014Consistently the best restaurant on Vashon Island for several years. The best choice for entertaining off island guests. Sometimes can be a little loud inside. But that's because a popular restaurant is usually packed with people.Special Features:
- Once Again!CaroDined on 10/18/2014May's Kitchen is wonderful. There recently with a friend and sat at the bar. This allowed us fun chats with the very friendly and expert bartenders. The food, as always, was superlative: appetizers, red curry. They have a new appetizer: chicken wings with special sauce, yum! I took an extra order home for later. I always receive a warm welcome and try to go every couple of weeks. The best Thai food ever.Special Features:
- Best thai food in Seattle region!tshadairDined on 10/11/2014First time visitors. Will return often! The food was magnificent, especially the phad metmamuanghimmaphan! You also must try the phad thai just for the experience of having it prepared right at your table. We had the yum phak boong appetizer. Could become addictive. Our service was great. Kalib answered all our questions and had wonderful suggestions. All in all, an unforgettable experience. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Best Thai aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014May Kitchen's reputation preceded it, and still it managed to blow our expectations out of the water. Even the phad thai was memorable and unexpected--not something I would ever have expected to say. Our server was the friendliest and most well-informed I've ever seen. This place is off the charts amazing.Special Features:
- Top shelfMusicmanDined on 10/8/2014Everything about the dining experience at May's is top shelf...from the food, to the cocktails...all the way to the service. We've never had a bad experience at May's and enjoy having dinner there whenever we're able. If any of the staff was having a bad day, you'd never know it because every one of them is cheerful and friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. Highly recommend this restaurant for locals and visitors to the Island.Special Features:
- Disappointing ....Bangkok30Dined on 10/8/2014This is a beautiful little place and the staff are very sweet and helpful. However, I'm always disappointed by the food. They seem to rely on Thai chilis to cover up the real flavors. As a special treat, we ordered the creme brulee, which was runny and flavorless. Don't think we will pay the high prices for mediocre food again. Tables are very close together and we got to hear clearly the conversation of the couple next to us.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysRitaVIPDined on 10/3/2014May Kitchen+Bar is my favorite restaurant on Vashon Island. The bar is great and the waitstaff are cheerful and knowledgeable. One of my favorite dishes is their spicy cold squid appetizer. Heaven!Special Features:
- Best Thai Food EVER!CourtdeGDined on 9/26/2014I have been to countless Thai restaurants and none of them hold a candle to May Kitchen!! Every dish is just fantastic! Such a depth of flavor and not just your typical Thai. The authenticity is unlike anything I've experienced at any other Thai restaurant. The decor and ambiance are so wonderful you feel like you are walking into a different world when you step inside. The service is wonderful, the Pad Thai presentation is a definite treat! An absolute must for the ultimate culinary experience!!Special Features:
- Birthday Delights!!!foodloverDined on 9/26/2014Because the hot-spicy-chocolate cake wasn't available the night I was celebrating my birthday (2 days early - - with 2 friends), I was given a Gift Certificate (hand written/drawn!) for one when I wished to come back in. AND, we were treated to a free celebration dessert that night. On my birthday, then, I received a second Free Birthday dessert - -- and both were awesome* Talk about special!! -- - and terrific customer service. MAY did that, and Hillary was also the Best at helping it all happen. What a special 62 year treat*Special Features:
- Love May's Thai!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We are so lucky on our little island of Vashon to have such decadence! Extraordinary in every way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!EarlGodtDined on 9/25/2014From appetizers through entrées and deserts ,it was a fantastic experience. The service was superlative. The fried plantains encrusted with coconut paired with coconut milk ice cream was heavenly. All of the courses were large enough to split between two. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE this place!foodloverDined on 9/24/2014The service was bend-over-backwards wonderful, especially on my birthday. It's a gem*Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on islandSandy22Dined on 9/19/2014Love, love, love Mays! As always the food was wonderful. 4diners shared 4 different entres. The service was spectacular. I do eat there quite often, and am treated so well by all the staff, and that does spill over onto my table mates. Nothing bad to say about this resturant. The front of the house and the kitchen all wrk together to provide the ultimate dinning experience.Special Features:
- Incredible food that you crave!bestntownDined on 9/17/2014The food is awesome, the wait staff wonderful and the atmosphere superb. Plus its close to home to have a nationally acclaimed restaurant on Vashon Island! I would recommend to anyone for those with mild palettes to those that like spicy as you can customize the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Food was very good, as usual. Our waitress was really helpful with one of our guests gluten allergy (and patient with him!). Nice experience.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Our meals were delightful. From the vegetable roll appetizers to the fabulous entrees every plate was a delightful taste surprise.Special Features:
- You must experienceHitsterDined on 9/6/2014A must visit for non Islanders, its a great get away and nice diversion from the norm. Oh, did I forget, the food is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Vashon must!!8alotDined on 9/6/2014I cannot say enough about how wonderful this restaurant is! The servers are incredible and the food is amazing!!! It is the best Thai food we have had anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was worth the trip.CharlieinBellevueVIPDined on 9/6/2014This is definitely worth the ferry ride to Vashon Island. Probably the best curry I have every had. Not sure it is authentic Thai as I have never been to Thailand, but superlatively pleasurable to my palate. We had the green curry and the veggie/chicken dish with the longest name. The beer on tap and glass by the glass selection was a little limited due to a supplier issue the night we were there. There is no obvious signage on the restaurant, so you find it by looking for the two elephants on top of the building and by the address. My only criticism is that the wooden high back chairs we sat at were very uncomfortable for my form factor. The place was nearly full at 5:30, so they are certainly drawing a crowd. One taste tells why.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Hard to share soupy dishes with each other, but we all wanted tastes of everything. The fried watercress is too delicious!!Special Features:
- Dining Delights!SchnabbercoupDined on 9/4/2014May Kitchen offers excellently prepared and presented exotic dishes from Thailand in a setting that could sometimes be intimate. Authentic Thai decor delights the eyes, but noisy, drinking neighbors can also be intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai food ever!SeattlePinotTastersDined on 8/31/2014Try the Red and/or Green Curry. Very yummy! The red rice is great too. Fried watercress is enough for 4 people! Service is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dream in the makingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014What drew me to May's was the story behind it. The owner apparently dreamed of this place and has spent the last few years making it a reality. The decor is lovely, the food is world-class, cocktails are okay. The staff at the front of the house will really benefit from some training and organization. if you're relaxed and it's all good, May's is a nice spot for a meal and seeing how it's the only game in town for Thai, will likely continue to flourish. A delicious outing in any case.Special Features:
- Best Thai EverPickyEaterDined on 8/29/2014I thought I knew Thai food, but once I went to May's it was like I had never had it before. The spring rolls were amazing, the Pad Ke Mao was hands down the best I've ever had in my life. If you like Thai, you have to try this place. All the ingredients are fresh and delicious - it's so worth the trip over to Vashon. And the prices are very good for such excellent food!!Special Features:
- Worth a ferry ride to VashonmaurygirlDined on 8/28/2014May's Kitchen and Bar is a gourmet oasis in a town where the rest of the eateries are mundane at best. The decor is understated and elegant, the staff is highly professional and attentive, and the food is heavenly. I had the specials the night I went: as an appetizer, basil leaves with a variety of toppings such as peanuts, toasted coconut, ginger, lime and hot peppers with a sweet sauce, and for the entree a whole trout flash-fried in the pan surrounded by mango strips and other veggies and filleted at the table. Everything was well-prepared, nicely presented and totally delicious. The place is so popular that you must make a reservation to ensure that you'll get a table.Special Features:
- visit - I want to go to May's again14cathDined on 8/27/2014The crisp watercress and spring wraps are a must. Everyone loved the shrimp puad Thai. The overall vote amoung we four was the oyster mushroom dish over the cashew dish, both with red rice. I got the leftovers. :) :) :) . I put the leftover rice into the dishes before they are boxed up. So, lunch just goes into a bowl and reheat. The next 2 lunches were the best. The coconut flavor was more prounced, the onions melted in my mouth - some with a bit of crunch. The sauces of the 2 dishes are totally different. I will gladly eat either one again. Excellent food. Family and friends visit Vashon Island, I'll take you to May's. Be well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MBP23Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was absolutely perfect - we luckily had the same server I had before. We told him to order everything for us and he created an amazing experience yet again!!!Special Features:
- Best Thai food in SeattleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014The phad thai with fresh banana flower buds are a MUST HAVE. Be sure to make reservations.Special Features:
- Vashon. Who knew?OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014Got a recommendation to this place from friends and I thought, "Vashon? For amazing and authentic Thai food?". Then they said, "You must make a reservation otherwise expect a 1-2 hour wait". Again, my reply, "Vashon?". It's true. Worth every penny of the ferry fare. The staff are remarkable: knowledgeable about the menu, attentive without being intrusive, kind, happy, and obviously like their job. And the food. Wow. Everything was incredible, but the highlights were the grilled squid (an amazing sauce complemented the delicate, soft squid), the phad thai (that is assembled tableside for you, truly incredible), their house-made green curry with chicken (the most savory and rich curry I've tried), and the spicy minced pork. Go.Special Features:
- Travel to Thailand on VashonhappyeaterDined on 8/17/2014I really recommend taking the ferry trip to Vashon for a fantastic Thai experience. Flavors burst across your palate as you savor the many spices in your amazing appetizer and entrée choices. Be sure to order the traditional phad thai for a true Thai experience. A very outstanding dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.