May Kitchen + Bar
17614 Vashon Hwy SW
Vashon, WA 98070Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
May Kitchen + Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maykitchen.com/
- Phone: 2064087196x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Executive Chef: May Chaleoy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout
A word from May Kitchen + Bar
May Kitchen + Bar brings a taste of Thailand to Vashon Island, WA. From the 150 year old dark teak paneling to the hand crafted iron work, the interior whisks you away to another, more relaxed place. Sit down and begin your meal by enjoying an original cocktail carefully crafted to bring out the most flavor from exotic ingredients. Then consider the food. You will have to come back, because you will need to try everything at least once. May Chaleoy is renowned for her ability to bring out a depth and complexity of flavor in all your favorite Thai dishes. May's attention to detail and dedication to the authenticity of her food is clear after your first bite. Come see for yourself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
May Kitchen + Bar - Best Restaurants in Vashon ›
May Kitchen + Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (86)fit for foodies (84)special occasion (67)romantic (39)good for groups (23)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (11)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- MBP23Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was absolutely perfect - we luckily had the same server I had before. We told him to order everything for us and he created an amazing experience yet again!!!Special Features:
- Best Thai food in SeattleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014The phad thai with fresh banana flower buds are a MUST HAVE. Be sure to make reservations.Special Features:
- Vashon. Who knew?OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/22/2014Got a recommendation to this place from friends and I thought, "Vashon? For amazing and authentic Thai food?". Then they said, "You must make a reservation otherwise expect a 1-2 hour wait". Again, my reply, "Vashon?". It's true. Worth every penny of the ferry fare. The staff are remarkable: knowledgeable about the menu, attentive without being intrusive, kind, happy, and obviously like their job. And the food. Wow. Everything was incredible, but the highlights were the grilled squid (an amazing sauce complemented the delicate, soft squid), the phad thai (that is assembled tableside for you, truly incredible), their house-made green curry with chicken (the most savory and rich curry I've tried), and the spicy minced pork. Go.Special Features:
- Travel to Thailand on VashonhappyeaterDined on 8/17/2014I really recommend taking the ferry trip to Vashon for a fantastic Thai experience. Flavors burst across your palate as you savor the many spices in your amazing appetizer and entrée choices. Be sure to order the traditional phad thai for a true Thai experience. A very outstanding dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Green Curry is my favoriteRickandTom2Dined on 8/16/2014I have found the Green Curry with chicken to be my favorite dish. When I travel I will try the same dish in other restaurants and there is none to compare to May's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gwypeaDined on 8/16/2014Fabulous all the way around, so lucky to have this restaurant here on the island, the best Thai food ever anywhere, wonderful service and so much fun. The Mayor is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flash Fried TilapiaLoveVashonDined on 8/10/2014We shared the special flash fried tilapia and chicken phad thai, excellent mix! Definitely go for the red rice! Service is very good, everyone appears to love working there and are proud of the cuisine. Spices were excellent. Décor is really lovely and a lot of attention to detail. I wish there were booths for 2, or even more space - it is not as romantic as it could be because tables are too close. I requested a private spot in my online reservation & was told we couldn't be in the booth for four-even though there was no one in it during our entire meal. That's my only complaint, quiet Sunday night dinner that is overall not a cheap date- should be able to have more privacy versus sitting inches from another couple...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014one of a kind. fabulous unique dishes. visually beautiful interiorSpecial Features:
- MehFoodTravelDudeDined on 8/9/2014It might be great for Vashon but there are many Thai places in Seattle that are the equal or better. We were disappointed.
- May Kitchen never disappoints!like2dinelocalDined on 8/8/2014The food is pleasing to the palate - vibrant flavors and interesting choices. I'm not interested in stingingly hot and spice and I always walk away satisfied. Staff are attentive without being bothersome, and authentically cheerful and energetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pad Thai on VashonPadguyDined on 8/3/2014If you didn't know what you were looking for you would walk right past this little gem. Good food, great service. Pad Thai is among the best we've had anywhere, including Toronto, NY etc. Only thing - who thought those high tables and chairs like you find in chain restos would be comfortable or appropriate. Burn em and get standard height seating please. They lose stars thanks to these torture devices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceRabidNemoDined on 8/3/2014The food here is absolutely fantastic, best I have ever come across. I also highly recommend the creme brulee and roasted brown rice tea. The interior is beautiful and has an impressive bar with a wide variety of drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made Anniversary SpecialBradonvashonDined on 8/1/2014I've been to Mays several times, and the food never disappoints. Her signature pad thai is always on our order-- not just because it's tasty, but because it comes to the table not fully prepared-- the server finishes it to your liking with spices and ingredients. This night was our 27th wedding anniversary and I had made the reservation on line noting the occasion and if they had a special dish or treat, we would be grateful. The staff did not disappoint, they had set up a table with special settings, and brought us a special champagne. Every staf person brought a dish or drink to our table and went out of the way to say congratulations. It was very discreet, but very welcome . Everything was perfectSpecial Features:
- An Island TreasureIslandMuseDined on 7/31/2014May's is a terrific restaurant - we have been numerous times and have never had a bad meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTJrlyellVIPDined on 7/27/2014MY HUSBAND AND I EAT AT MAY KITCHEN AT LEAST THREE DAYS A MONTH AND EVERY TIME IS JUST LIKE THE FIRST. WE ARE TREATED LIKE FAMILY AND HAVE BECOME PART OF MAY AND TOMS FAMILY. WE LOVE GOING THERE TO HAVE DINNER IT IS OUR BY FAR FAVERITE RESTURANT ON VASHON.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regional Gem Worth The Ferry Ride!quest2dineDined on 7/24/2014Don't let the hum-drum curtained exterior fool you. The elephants on the roof are trumpeting that this is no main-street diner… something real, unexpected and memorable awaits you inside. May Kitchen + Bar gets it right from the warm “welcome” at the door to the gracious “thank you” as you leave. The 150 year old dark wood panel ambiance, the friendly/professional service and the exceptionally executed authentic Thai menu almost guarantee an outstanding dining experience. May Kitchen + Bar is worth the pilgrimage to the wilds of Vashon Island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May KitchenSyNovakDined on 7/24/2014Amazing food! Authentic decor, packed from the moment they opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- under staffedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014We had to wait too long for service. The bartender was way behind and needed help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai Food!cbabeejDined on 7/19/2014I heard that May Kitchen was one of the top 20 Thai Food Restaurants in the United States & immediately made a reservation for the next night! What are the odds of a tiny little place on little Vashon Island being one of the top twenty?!? Well, it is most certainly excellent & well worth the short ferry ride! We hopped on the Southworth ferry & were there on Vashon in 10 minutes! It was the Strawberry Festival on Vashon (we didn't know) so the village was packed, but they managed to keep relatively on time with the reservations! We ordered our usual suspects of Fresh Spring Rolls, Chicken Phad Thai & Tom Kha, which we special order to our taste, and everything was spot on perfect! Terrific flavor & spice! Excellent! Just go & enjoy!Special Features:
- Full flavors and fantastic serviceaustinlauraDined on 7/16/2014We had an excellent dining experience at May's. Our engaging server did a fantastic job of recommending dishes and drinks that matched our tastes. We started with the refreshing Rickshaw cocktail, a gin & tonic with a lime and lemongrass simple syrup that was complex and delicious. For an appetizer we were guided to the grilled squid, which was perfectly cooked and served in a spicy sauce. The place was packed and because there was a longer than average wait time, our server brought us a complementary papaya salad to mitigate the wait. Not only did we appreciate the gestures, it was delicious! The main dishes we chose were pad kee mao and another whose name escapes me -- it was the longest on the menu. Both were excellent.Special Features:
- Best Thai Food Ever!kariesDined on 7/9/2014I repeat: Best Thai food ever. Plus, outstanding service and a great bar. Worth a special trip to the island.Special Features:
- Not as good as beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014$18 shrimp and asparagus dish had only 3 shrimp for a table of 5. Seemed skimpy.
- Best Thai in SeattledaffodilDined on 7/6/2014Take the ferry from Fauntleroy to Vashon for really great Thai food in a lovely setting.Special Features:
- A TraditionCaroDined on 7/6/2014Mays has quickly become a tradition and delicious habit for many Seattle area folks. I love the food: exotic, unusual, consistently delicious. The people who work there are wonderfully warm, friendly, expert. I always return and never am disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaneDined on 7/3/2014I always take guests who visit to May's. It is a special place on Vashon for good food and authentic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!GlenDined on 6/26/2014Terrific food and super service. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sumptuous feast!SchnabbercoupDined on 6/20/2014I can't recall the name for my dinner, but I tasted all the food at our table. All were very good and very interesting, but mine was outstanding! There was squash and a killer paprika sauce with pork, too. What a treat.Special Features:
- Burton LoversosogoodDined on 6/15/2014May Kitchen was fabulous! We brought our house guests to May for their first time and they were so pleased with the experience. The food is always so fresh and flavorful. We have never had a bad dining experience at May Kitchen and Bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southeast Asian Romantic Date NightTastefullybeaDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I celebrated our 11th Anniversary at May's Kitchen and had an absolutely fantastic dinner! When you enter May's Kitchen it feels like you have been transported to Thailand, and once you receive your dinner you would put money on it.....:) Living on Vashon, it is a real treat to have one of the top restaurants in Seattle on our doorstep. After our evening at May's we felt like we did on one of our first date's, since we met in Vietnam it was lovely having the Southeast Asian ambiance to rekindle our romance. For those that do not live on Vashon, I overheard a couple talking about how they loved the ferry ride over and incredible view of Mt. Rainier, and how being on the water added to their evening out! Highly recommend May's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on VashonBestonVashonDined on 6/13/2014Love this place! You go May! Always take my out of town company there. Love the food and also the interesting mixed drinks. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable Wish they served lunch as well. Would frequent it even more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vary accommodating and exoticwolffoodieDined on 6/13/2014Table-side prep for phad thai is engaging and fascinating - components are explained as they are added. All dishes arrive promptly and fresh. Staff is friendly and efficient. One member of our party was lactose intolerant, vegetarian, allergic to peanuts and gluten intolerant but they were able to see to her needs and provide a delicious meal that was completely satisfactory. Overall a fun experience, not terribly expensive - a popular spot for the locals that's been a long time coming since there has been no other thai place as far back as I can remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and DeliciousdiningdivaDined on 6/11/2014From the original cocktails (my favorite, the cucumber kazi) to the flash-fried watercress w/coconut milk drizzled over it and green curry, this is the best place for thai food around! Excellent service and friendly atmosphere make it a place I continue to go back to.Special Features:
- ExcellentTAlexDined on 6/6/2014Everything was excellent. I almost don't want to tell people about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deadlillyDined on 5/31/2014We brought guests from the mainland who found the food, service and ambiance to be much to their liking. It is great to have a place to go and bring guests where the dining experience is so seamlessly pleasing.Special Features:
- belovealwaysDined on 5/31/2014The best fish I ever had......wowza!!!! Just moved to Vashon...don't think we could have moved here if there wasn't a yummy Asian option. So...if it wasn't for May's we wouldn't be living hereSpecial Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2014We live on Vashon but had never been to May's before. I chose it for my birthday and was amazed at how great the food was-- and the service. It is exciting to have such a nice restaurant on this small island with reasonable prices and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsAnchorage2travelerVIPDined on 5/25/2014We always enjoy the service, the atmosphere and the food. Very special place on Vashon, worth the ferry ride. The papua taud and yum phak boong are delicious. We always have the thom ka and then try to save room for our favorite dish, phad priew waan with pork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentTheBeaveDined on 5/24/2014A hidden gem. All my party said best Thai they have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The watercress appetizer...pugetsoundgypsyDined on 5/23/2014Great waitstaff - attentive, engaging, ready to make things perfect. Ambiance, lovely teak panels lining the entire restaurant and great vintage styled lighting. Don't miss the *great* Garuda hanging over the bar! ***the food is fantastic*** Curries are perfection, the Phad Thai comes with a demo, the bar mixes a masterful drink. A gem. Catch it if you can! (Reservations strongly recommended)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic ThaiAuthenticThaiDined on 5/22/2014Love that the decorations were sourced from Thailand and that the food is very authentic and freshly made... even the thai roasted chills are roasted and ground daily. Friendly staff ... a lovely gem hidden in the middle of Vashon downtown. My only con was that the wait for our food was over an hour. Needs better organization between server and kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.