Basketball Hall of Fame
1000 W. Columbus Blvd.
Springfield, MA 01105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://maxtavern.com/
- Phone: 4137466299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Roberge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Rooms available to accommodate from 14 to 400 people. Movie Theater is also available.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Bombard 4137463003
- Special Events: From a business meeting to a five course wine dinner,
Max’s Tavern can accommodate your celebration.
We specialize in creating exceptional and memorable events through our fine food as well as wine and professional, courteous staff.
Thank you for choosing Max’s Tavern for your special event,
we look forward to serving you.
-The Crown Room can accommodate up to 34 guests.
(minimum of 20 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 25 Guests Friday and Saturday)
-The Chef’s Table can accommodate up to 14 guests comfortably for a sit down function.
(minimum of 10 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 14 Guests Friday and Saturday)
A word from Max's Tavern
Hartford's premier restaurant group has opened in Springfield, Massachusetts at the newly renovated, state-of-the-art Basketball Hall of Fame, Max's Tavern promises to deliver the same dining experience that our Connecticut customers have come to know and expect. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Max's Tavern innovative menu will feature contemporary American cuisine including some of Max's favorite "Chop House" classics. Max is the exclusive caterer for all Hall of Fame special events. Host your next function on Center Court, Jam Session, the Mass Mutual Room or in the private dining room of Max's Tavern. So whether you are a sports fanatic or a dining enthusiast, complete your next tour of the Hall of Fame with a trip to Max's Tavern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Max's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Springfield, MA ›
Max's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)great for outdoor dining (34)fit for foodies (33)vibrant bar scene (29)romantic (27)good for groups (26)great for lunch (25)hot spot (18)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (16)great for brunch (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Rare prime rib, yes!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014As usual the food was great!! Wait service was terrific. We often come here and it still is special for us. Try it and you won't be disappointed! Prime rib is a must if you like your beef cooked to order. And the hanger steak should be on your list of new dishes to try. Loved it. What first bought us back was the Caesar salad, then the chicken wings and so on...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GFdinerDined on 8/25/2014it was unusually loud and not very attentive server. Had to flag someone else down for water. One of the gentlemen at front desk was less than cordial to both my husband and myself. Great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeNonaDined on 8/17/2014Music is turned up way too loud. Friendly service. Excellent cod special with eggplant and zucchini fritters. Tuscan salad unexciting, cheese was like rubber. Still, a nice experience and I'll go there again,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasedDined on 8/11/2014Very nice experience. Brought my brother who was here from London and who is used to good food experiences and he enjoyed it and the special attention and personal selctions ( He was thrilled that he could actually coose the number and types of each part of the raw bar appetizerSpecial Features:
- Not impresseddaisylaceDined on 8/10/2014We were not particularly impress with the restaurant. We found it to be extremely overpriced for "Farm to Table" food. We felt that the menu was limited. The service was slow, but waitress was friendly, no complaints there. We have decided not to return.Special Features:
- Noisy EveningPucksDined on 8/9/2014We have been to Max's Tavern on several occasions before. This time things seemed different there. While the food was good, we did not find it as good as it had been prior. My partner had the Cioppino, which she enjoyed. I had the center cut ribeye a la Max. It was cooked as requested, but instead of a bed of arugula, fresh ripe tomatoes (these were hothouse) and sweet gorgonzola, it was covered in melted cheese. But the most unexpected disappointment was the noise level. We were seated between 2 parties of six, both regaled by a likely-inebriated loudmouth who couldn't bear not to hear the sound of his voice, nor deny us that opportunity.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Always a great time, the food is reasonably priced the service is second to none, overall a great time.Special Features:
- Too Pricey for Type of RestaurantExpectsMoreDined on 8/3/2014When you are charged $35 a plate with no sides and $12.50 for a glass of (basic) white wine, you expect more than plastic electric candles and wooden tables with no table clothes. priced to be a high-end place but it didn't show in the ambiance and quality of food or drink. Also, it was very noisy.
- Always FunAllegraDined on 8/2/2014Max's is a go to staple. The food is always good, the atmosphere is always fun.
- ForgottenshortyDined on 7/31/2014We were seated right in front of the band playing outside which was hard to have a nice conversation over the music. Not really sure why the host put us there since there were many other tables available and stayed available. Anyway, we sat there for a good 30 minutes until we had to say something to the waitresses walking by. We ended up ordering an appetizer, but never received it. We ended up asking if we could move over a couple of tables so we didn't have to sit awkwardly in front of the band (they were great BTW). Ended up late dinner; drinks were good, but the whole night was ruined by the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steak reviewsteakevaluationDined on 7/28/2014Go with the Filet Mignon or the hanger steak..........the Ribeye was cut thin and very overpricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky springfieldazluVIPDined on 7/26/2014We are from AZ and visiting this area for a few weeks. Max Restaurant is a gem there are almost no really fine restaurants in the Springfield area so we really lucked out this time. we ate on the patio on a perfect summer evening. My husband and I shared a Cesar salad It was delicious and plentiful I had the Ahi Tuna and my husband had roast beef. both were perfectly prepared and each was outstanding. the portions were ample. the service was attentive but not hovering. We would high recommend this restaurant to any one who lives in Western MA or who is visiting the area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Dinner was very good except for my husband's dessert , bread pudding ......, wasn't that good . We were celebrating an anniversary and though service was very good , dinner could have been spread out more, more time in between courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not greatmikki1027Dined on 7/20/2014So the drinks were good and the food good was good. Not great and very expensive! No dinner rolls, no salad. My husband and I both ordered a steak with potatoes (you only get 1 side dish and then the others are an additional $6!). It did not come with veggies at all. So I had 2 mixed drinks, he had 2 beers (coors...nothin fancy) steak and potatoes and it was $102!!! I can go to other restaurants, get the dinner rolls, a salad, an appetizer, dinner and dessert and it would probably be the same amount of money. It was ridiculous.
- ThanksJaybirdDined on 7/15/2014My Client was 45 minutes late for our lunch meeting, Grrrr! The waiter was very understanding and accommodating. Understand they need table turnover to make their living. So, after long lunch, I did reward him with a 25% tip on a $100 tab. All should remember the waiters rely on tips, not salary! Be thoughtful.Special Features:
- The worst ever!PammyDined on 7/14/2014This visit at Max's was the worst ever! I usually dine here 2 to 3 times a month, and the whole experience this time was simply awful. The server got my drink wrong, got my dinner wrong and when she brought out the right order it was still cooked wrong and was the driest steak ever! She then asked if we wanted coffee, which we did. About half an hour later asked if we wanted dessert. She gave us the menus then left for another 45 minutes. Never once did she ask if we wanted coffee refilled. We decided to pass on dessert at this point. The check was incorrect when she brought it to us. That was another 15 minutes! The worst waitress ever!!!! Jess C. If she waits on you run!Special Features:
- PleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Pleasant. Great food and drink. It was a bit noisy but service was excellent.Special Features:
- nice night as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2014Had a nice night. Good food good service in a comfortable setting. Daily special flat bread was very good. It could have made it to the table hotter as was the case tonight with a few things. Mussels were some of best that we have ever had, with the broth worth the price of admission all by themselves. Fillet, French dip, and calamari served as our main meal tonight, all served up just the way we liked them. Banana fosters for the birthday girls tonight...nice fun night, thanksSpecial Features:
- Nice way to celebrate a birthdayTheatreBuffDined on 7/9/2014Special place to celebrate an occasion! Great menu, and loved the raw bar!!Special Features:
- Another great lunchMuttsDined on 7/8/2014Once we were seated at the table I requested , everything was great. Mark was a fantastic waiter and looked after us well. Our food was delicious and we were not rushed, even though we lingered a long time. We love Max's.Special Features:
- great foodnanaDined on 7/5/2014both meals were delicious though not crazy about sauces. good wait staff . not too busy this night but it is usually very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014We had a wonderful time. The food was excellent as well as the service. The online reservation feature simplified the process.Special Features:
- Good Stuff at Max's TavernCitySlickerDined on 7/3/2014Another great meal at Max's Tavern. The steak was cooked perfectly and the service was terrific!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience.Pearlgirl2Dined on 6/30/2014We had guests in from England. Meal was very good. Waitress was excellent. We sat inside, but patio looked very inviting on the way out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!invitingVIPDined on 6/29/2014What could have been a disastrous experience turned out great! We had an excellent server; the atmosphere is very romantic; the food is typically fantastic. However, my husband's filet mignon was seriously undercooked and when he complained to the manager, the manager was extremely accommodating, fully and genuinely apologetic (even though it wasn't his fault, but the kitchen's). He comped that meal which was very professional...and the right thing to do. Max's has an excellent reputation....and this is one of the many reasons why.Special Features:
- Great serviceLuv2dineDined on 6/28/2014The food and staff was excellent. I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionTM22Dined on 6/27/2014Yummy- good for special occasions but a little pricey. The menu options were fantastic. Everyone in our party enjoyed their dinner choices and certainly brought leftovers home! We usually save this restaurant to celebrate an event, birthday, retirement or the like. Worth the drive from Monson MA. Although we would definitely recommend Max's for any reason for a great meal anytime. The steaks are fabulous as well as the seafood. Desserts - well, we won't go there but will say -fabulous! Have not tried the outside terrace dining as yet but plan to before summer is out! Located next to BBHF We have also dined here prior to seeing a event at Symphony Hall or the MassMutual Center. Plenty of free parking and easy on/off to I-91.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's Tavern dinnerGlennDined on 6/26/2014Nice dinner. Food was very good. The chopped salad was delicious. The Monkfish special had an Asian flair with great flavors. Our server was very pleasant and gave good recommendations, but service was slow for a Thursday evening - after being seated, we waited too long for our server to arrive with menus and water, we had to ask for bread to go with our salad, and when we finished our dinners, we waited too long for our plates to be cleared. The cheesecake dessert was a nice way to finish; next time I will try the. Bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoneDined on 6/21/2014Pleasant but rather expensive for the actual experience.
- Loved it!RumaDined on 6/19/2014I had the opportunity of grabbing dinner at maxs, the environment itself is awesome, the service was great and professional. Food was good, and delivered quick. Overall great experience. I would highly recomend going here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/17/2014terrible service!! Mr Rosenthal need to spend some time at this location. It is getting worse by the day.
- Excellent serviceLovegoodfoodDined on 6/15/2014Max's is a great place for all occasions. The food was delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent..BuffaloRoamDined on 6/14/2014We have been to Max's numerous times.. and the food is always very good.. service it outstanding.. They tend to rush you with ordering right away etc..but we just told our waitress that we wanted a relax and take our time and she was very good about accomadating our request. Steak is the meal of choice , however it is very $$$$.Special Features:
- Bright spot for good foodNYerVIPDined on 6/13/2014Upscale dining in relaxed atmosphere, right next to the NBA Hall of Fame. A welcome addition to what seemed to this tourist to be mostly chain restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Working the FormulaUlysses4Dined on 6/13/2014Max's is a busy and cheerful place. After many years, the Max Group knows how to produce a wide range of competent and pleasing dishes served by a pretty large staff that show up platoon style to help when needed. The wait staff appear to have considerable turnover, but are earnest. At the Tavern, look for comfort food, a good wine and beer list and a satisfying if not transcending meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/9/2014Great meal tonight. We started the meal with French Onion soup, lobster bisque and fried calamari all of which were great. For dinner we had rib eye steak, fillet mignon and mussels which was on the specials menu. GREAT GREAT GREAT, loved everything about the night, fine service and great food, cant get better than that.Special Features:
- Always a good dining experience...MichaelcaneDined on 6/9/2014Max's Tavern is a great place for lunch or dinner, especially for business-related meetings. Good ambiance, excellent service and always great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance, ok food...declancanDined on 6/5/2014I've been there twice for lunch and the restaurant has the right look and feel. greeters and servers were very friendly. can get very noisy in the dining room during lunch. the booths are nice and comfy. I've only had salads there and both times the grilled chicken was very dry.
- Great for lunch, better for dinnerArebizDined on 5/16/2014This is the only restaurant in Springfield which makes you feel you're not in Springfield.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentfoodieDined on 5/11/2014We've visited the restaurant on separate occasions for brunch, lunch, and dinner and have found it to be consistent and well worth the prices offered. Recently the Mother's Day brunch menu was limited but excellent. Previously, our salad/burger lunch and steak dinners were very good as well. The atmosphere is classy yet social and the bar area is great for apps and drinks. We'd definitely return for different occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.