Basketball Hall of Fame
1000 W. Columbus Blvd.
Springfield, MA 01105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://maxtavern.com/
- Phone: (413) 746-6299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Roberge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Rooms available to accommodate from 14 to 400 people. Movie Theater is also available.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Bombard 4137463003
- Special Events: From a business meeting to a five course wine dinner,
Max’s Tavern can accommodate your celebration.
We specialize in creating exceptional and memorable events through our fine food as well as wine and professional, courteous staff.
Thank you for choosing Max’s Tavern for your special event,
we look forward to serving you.
-The Crown Room can accommodate up to 34 guests.
(minimum of 20 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 25 Guests Friday and Saturday)
-The Chef’s Table can accommodate up to 14 guests comfortably for a sit down function.
(minimum of 10 Guests Sunday thru Thursday and 14 Guests Friday and Saturday)
A word from Max's Tavern
Hartford's premier restaurant group has opened in Springfield, Massachusetts at the newly renovated, state-of-the-art Basketball Hall of Fame, Max's Tavern promises to deliver the same dining experience that our Connecticut customers have come to know and expect. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Max's Tavern innovative menu will feature contemporary American cuisine including some of Max's favorite "Chop House" classics. Max is the exclusive caterer for all Hall of Fame special events. Host your next function on Center Court, Jam Session, the Mass Mutual Room or in the private dining room of Max's Tavern. So whether you are a sports fanatic or a dining enthusiast, complete your next tour of the Hall of Fame with a trip to Max's Tavern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Max's Tavern - Best Restaurants in Springfield, MA ›
Max's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (47)fit for foodies (44)good for groups (32)hot spot (28)vibrant bar scene (26)great for outdoor dining (25)romantic (21)neighborhood gem (21)great for lunch (20)notable wine list (19)late-night find (9)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- MikeVIPDined on 11/19/2014We return every year to celebrate where we first had a date and met. As usual the food was fantastic as was the service. Will keep coming back on 11/19 as long as we are alive and the place is open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014I took my husband to Max's to celebrate his birthday. Dinner was delicious, and the ambiance is warm, yet sophisticated. The mussels appetizer and filet mignon with gorgonzola cheese on a bed of arugula was excellent. The spinach au gratin was also very well prepared. Our servers were consistently polite and poised. Our only complaint was that courses arrived much too quickly, not allowing us to take our time to enjoy a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sptingfield's Best !!JohnBDined on 11/16/2014The food is the best in Springfield and is plated in a way that would please the most sophisticated gourmets. The service and ambiance match the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a FaveRVRGRLDined on 11/14/2014There is definitely a shortage of restaurants like this in the Springfield area and Max's fills a void. Our server Derek was excellent and went well above and beyond. He did assure me that the chicken now listed as an entree was the same as the chicken that used to listed on the Tavern Specialities section. Maybe it was, but if so, it was an off night. I had had the Tavern pressed chicken three times previously and it made me swoon (this from someone who never orders chicken in a restaurant). This was not the same chicken - maybe just a bad night - but it was overcooked and kind of 'meh' - I did not finish the leftovers I brought home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateMrsH1Dined on 11/1/2014Great beer selection, wide variety of entrees, delicious seasonal options. Enjoyed everything, especially the onion soup and kale and butternut salad. Prices a bit high, but a perfect choice for a special occasion celebration.Special Features:
- Very pleasant dining experienceAverageDined on 10/31/2014As a party of 4, all of our meals and appetizers were delicious. Service was excellent, and drinks were good. We will be back!Special Features:
- Always Enjoyable !!!JohnBDined on 10/24/2014I met a friend from Mount Holyoke College for lunch. He had never been to Max's. As I expected , he was very impressed with the food and the service....... as well as the urban vibe. A nice change from the Village Commons in South Hadley !Special Features:
- Definately worth going!PurplepassionDined on 10/23/2014Great Place. Great Food. Everything was delicious. Staff was great as well.Special Features:
- DedeDedeDined on 10/22/2014Always good food and great service. We have never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PammyDined on 10/19/2014The best service ever by Emily! Was very surprised when Brian came over and took our dessert order. We hadn't seen him in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet 16 Birthday CelebrationJackieSDined on 10/18/2014Our daughter chose to come to Max's Tavern to celebrate her 16th Birthday with parents, brother and grandmother. We had an EXCELLENT experience as usual with the Max Group. We booked our reservation on Open Table and noted it was for her birthday. When we arrived (about 20 minutes early for our reservation) we were immediately seated and daughter wished a happy birthday by the hostess. When the server arrived she wished daughter a happy birthday. Meal was excellent and well timed. At dessert, daughter received her's on a plate with "Happy Birthday" inscribed on the plate in raspberry sauce and a birthday card signed by the staff of the restaurant. We would recommend any of the Max Group restaurants as we've had excellent experiences at all.Special Features:
- Strong visitVinnieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Max's Tavern is one of my favorites, from Coat to Coast. They did an excellent job...went back the next day for the Tuna Taco's!Special Features:
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014The food was fantastic! Every order, every entree, everything was thoughtfully customized, wonderfully prepared, and beautifully presented. And it tasted as good as it looked! The only drawback was the noise -- it was just too noisy for any useful conversation, unless we all yelled as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business meetingBillDined on 10/14/2014Good restaurant to conduct business. Food was great both had filet mignon with cheddar potatoes and the parmesan spinach is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring lots of cash!MaxtavernDined on 10/11/2014It was noisy and crowded. The entrees were very good but skimpy. You had to pay for everything separate...salads $9 and up...really! Had to ask for rolls because they didn't come with our $26 entree...really! By the end of the night it was almost $100 for the two of us...! The atmosphere wasn't anything special so maybe they cater to the hall of fame tourists but you won't see me back there again! Btw - the stone cold creamery next door was excellent and half the cost of max's!
- Good but not the bestTrekman27Dined on 10/1/2014Our service was excellent, but the food was just good. Scallops came out on the cold side, cod was a bit dry. Great that we were allowed to change to a larger table when we initially got one of those tiny "for two" tables which are always TOO small.Special Features:
- fabulousJackDined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner with family...service was excellent...food delicious...finishing touch with Happy Anniversary message was a delightful surprise. Very easy to make dinner reservations on-line ....an added convenienceSpecial Features:
- Always gooddsabatoDined on 9/19/2014I love going to Max's. It feels like a special occasion whenever you're there. The food is always outstanding and the chef accommodates special diets with panache.Special Features:
- always greatoutstandingVIPDined on 9/18/2014Always a favorite of mine for the Max group. Love Max Tavern atmosphere and the great red booths for seating. Food is always to be counted on to be perfectly cooked and prepared and the wait staff are consistently exceptional.Special Features:
- Great lunch, good serviceMuttsDined on 9/18/2014Our waiter, Mark, was very attentive and we have a delicious lunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The service & food were perfect- really appreciate the inclusion of local farms. Will go again asap. Susan KingSpecial Features:
- Not GreatEasy2pleaseDined on 9/15/2014Service was slow and indifferent. Several requests were ignored. Steak was not as ordered, had to be sent back. Very disappointing.
- Overall Very GoodExcellentVIPDined on 9/14/2014Brunch (and Bloody Mary's) were excellent. Downfall; server was just ok, un-attentive. Also, stood at hostess stand for close to 10 min. When I arrived there were 2 people at desk on phone and one who just stood there and didn't know what to do, (no greeting - nothing). Party that arrived after me got seated first. Not good first impression.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014It was my mother's birthday. The entire staff signed a card & gave it to her during dessert. Very special touch! Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- ImdissapiontedDined on 9/11/2014I frequent Maxs often. Every year I celebrate my birthday there as well as a Christmas dinner with a group of friends. I always order the prime rib and it used to be delicious. The last 3 times it has been poor quality. It came half fat and since then I specifically tell the waiter I do not want a fatty piece. This last time the waiter said the price went up because beef went up, well I feel like the quality of the beef they have went way down. It's very disappointing. Not sure I will order it ever again.Special Features:
- A greatt time, good food & service!MuttsDined on 9/10/2014Our waitress was excellent and we both enjoyed our lunch. One of my favorite lunch spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Took 15 minutes to take our drink order. Bad start. Only got slower.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014Whenever we visit Springfield, Max's is our "go to" restaurant with our family. The food is great, the ambiance is good. Love the tuna tacos, meatloaf, wedge salad, steaks. My only complaint is the size of the entrees -- way too much food. Sitting outside is really comfortable during nice weather.Special Features:
- Rare prime rib, yes!table4twoDined on 8/29/2014As usual the food was great!! Wait service was terrific. We often come here and it still is special for us. Try it and you won't be disappointed! Prime rib is a must if you like your beef cooked to order. And the hanger steak should be on your list of new dishes to try. Loved it. What first bought us back was the Caesar salad, then the chicken wings and so on...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GFdinerDined on 8/25/2014it was unusually loud and not very attentive server. Had to flag someone else down for water. One of the gentlemen at front desk was less than cordial to both my husband and myself. Great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeNonaDined on 8/17/2014Music is turned up way too loud. Friendly service. Excellent cod special with eggplant and zucchini fritters. Tuscan salad unexciting, cheese was like rubber. Still, a nice experience and I'll go there again,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasedDined on 8/11/2014Very nice experience. Brought my brother who was here from London and who is used to good food experiences and he enjoyed it and the special attention and personal selctions ( He was thrilled that he could actually coose the number and types of each part of the raw bar appetizerSpecial Features:
- Not impresseddaisylaceDined on 8/10/2014We were not particularly impress with the restaurant. We found it to be extremely overpriced for "Farm to Table" food. We felt that the menu was limited. The service was slow, but waitress was friendly, no complaints there. We have decided not to return.Special Features:
- Noisy EveningPucksDined on 8/9/2014We have been to Max's Tavern on several occasions before. This time things seemed different there. While the food was good, we did not find it as good as it had been prior. My partner had the Cioppino, which she enjoyed. I had the center cut ribeye a la Max. It was cooked as requested, but instead of a bed of arugula, fresh ripe tomatoes (these were hothouse) and sweet gorgonzola, it was covered in melted cheese. But the most unexpected disappointment was the noise level. We were seated between 2 parties of six, both regaled by a likely-inebriated loudmouth who couldn't bear not to hear the sound of his voice, nor deny us that opportunity.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Always a great time, the food is reasonably priced the service is second to none, overall a great time.Special Features:
- Too Pricey for Type of RestaurantExpectsMoreDined on 8/3/2014When you are charged $35 a plate with no sides and $12.50 for a glass of (basic) white wine, you expect more than plastic electric candles and wooden tables with no table clothes. priced to be a high-end place but it didn't show in the ambiance and quality of food or drink. Also, it was very noisy.
- Always FunAllegraDined on 8/2/2014Max's is a go to staple. The food is always good, the atmosphere is always fun.
- ForgottenshortyDined on 7/31/2014We were seated right in front of the band playing outside which was hard to have a nice conversation over the music. Not really sure why the host put us there since there were many other tables available and stayed available. Anyway, we sat there for a good 30 minutes until we had to say something to the waitresses walking by. We ended up ordering an appetizer, but never received it. We ended up asking if we could move over a couple of tables so we didn't have to sit awkwardly in front of the band (they were great BTW). Ended up late dinner; drinks were good, but the whole night was ruined by the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steak reviewsteakevaluationDined on 7/28/2014Go with the Filet Mignon or the hanger steak..........the Ribeye was cut thin and very overpricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 893 reviews are from the Max's Tavern reviews archive.
- Lucky springfieldazluVIPDined on 7/26/2014We are from AZ and visiting this area for a few weeks. Max Restaurant is a gem there are almost no really fine restaurants in the Springfield area so we really lucked out this time. we ate on the patio on a perfect summer evening. My husband and I shared a Cesar salad It was delicious and plentiful I had the Ahi Tuna and my husband had roast beef. both were perfectly prepared and each was outstanding. the portions were ample. the service was attentive but not hovering. We would high recommend this restaurant to any one who lives in Western MA or who is visiting the area.Special Features: