Max's Seafood Cafe
34 North Burlington Street
Gloucester, NJ 08030Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Max's Seafood Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maxsseafoodcafe.com/
- Phone: 8564569774x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ralph Sitero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room with a fireplace off of our wine cellar that seats up to 22 people and a minimum of two. Perfect place for meeting, family gatherings and intimate special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Michele Perillo-Monahan 6094123166x
A word from Max's Seafood Cafe
Max's Café was built in 1890 as a shoe store. In 1912, 34 North Burlington Street reopened as Leisinger's Saloon for the next 25 years even through prohibition (as a "soft drink establishment"). In 1937, Leisinger's Saloon passed through the family & was renamed Max's Cafe; it’s name for the next 65 years. In 1977, a new simply prepared fresh seafood menu transformed Max's Cafe into Max’s Seafood Café. The neighboring building was acquired to seat the growing number of patrons from both sides of the Delaware River, often forming lines around the corner, waiting to enjoy fresh flounder, shrimp, clams, & most of all, Steamed Mussels! Max's reputation grew for the next 22 years before age & neglect left it in a state of disrepair. The bar restaurant closed in July of 1998 & remained dormant for 2 ½ years. Refurbished in late 2000, Max's Seafood Cafe reopened on June 2, 2001 to continue its tradition of hospitality, impeccably fresh seafood, & most of all Steamed mussels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Max's Seafood Cafe - Best Restaurants in Gloucester City ›
Max's Seafood Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)special occasion (25)romantic (15)fit for foodies (15)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (7)notable wine list (5)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Seafood DelightsBigguyVIPDined on 8/10/2014If you are looking for a consistently great Seafood dinner location, then you are only a short drive away from Max's Seafood Cafe. It is the best.Special Features:
- Perfect for Date Night !Cog3164Dined on 8/9/2014My GF and I went Sat 8/9 at 5pm. No one else there which made it very cozy. Had an Excellant meal. Only hiccup was the Scallop appetizer was a bit sandy. No problem. Mentioned it to waiter and zoom. New one out ASAP. I had shrimp over sweet potatoes and She had a broiled combo. Every thing was delicious. It is a bit pricey but it started off a great night for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- /informativeEFDuffyDined on 8/8/2014Food was excellent; staff was friendly/informativeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry to say DISAPPOINTEDlindaOFnjDined on 8/2/2014Very surprised to be so disappointed. The appetizers: coconut shrimp - three were burnt & one was under cooked. Calamari - was good. The entrees: Flounder stuffed with crabmeat: was ok. Crab had over-powering taste of green peppers. Have had better, or equivalent, in SJ diners for much less money. Cod in lemon sauce: could only taste lemon, no taste of fish. Dessert: peach cobbler. The worst. The peaches were not peeled & the skin tasted like little pieces of leather. The one strip of pastry on top was ice cold but the peach mixture was warm. For $9, it was a disgrace. The service was spotty. The only time we saw our waitress was when she delivered the food. No offer to refill drinks. Bill $100 with tip. So not worth it.
- Max's never disappoints.jeseygirl513Dined on 7/26/2014We went for Farm to Fork week and were very pleased with all the menu options. I am a fan of buying local especially when I don't have to cook it! The Blueberry ice cream was the bomb!! Been dreaming of it ever since. WE'LL BE BACK SOON, THAT'S FOR SURE!Special Features:
- WilburWilburDined on 7/26/2014For years our favorite restaurant, until now. My Marsala was fair, potatoes lumpy. My wife had a dried out flank with hard and seemingly uncooked potatoes. Bread was a short step from stale. Blueberry dessert was horrible. Now the key point. Appetizer, main course,coffee,dessert, and a bottle of wine - 55 minutes! If we wanted a fast food restaurant we would go there. Nothing worse than as you sit the waitress is already talking. Or the main course comes out while you are still eating your appetizer. It is such a shame that max's has fallen so far.
- Another great meal at Max'sparkingmanDined on 7/25/2014Went there because it was "Farm to Fork" week. $35 for a 4 course meal that was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotjerseyDined on 7/17/2014Great food/service/décor... We love this restaurant. Perfect for grabbing a bite before concerts in NJ/PASpecial Features:
- Great little spotBToalDined on 7/13/2014This is a great little place with a solid history of good food. The wait staff was very nice and the atmosphere was very pleasant. We had an assortment of foods at the table and everything was delicious and pleasing to the eye. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Ruined a special birthday surpriseCnjnvaDined on 7/13/2014Made reservations through OpenTable for Max's on a Sunday afternoon at 1pm. This was a surprise birthday splurge lunch for my 73 year old mother-in-law. We arrived at 1:02pm to find another family of 6 standing outside. They said they'd made a res. as well through OpenTable for 1pm. There was nobody in the restaurant - all lights were off and it was completely dark. The printed hours on the door said Sat 1-10pm. We all hung around until 1:15pm, but since it takes a while to open up a seafood restaurant and there was still not a single employee to be seen inside or out, we all abandoned the restaurant. Our party ended up at a local diner - we had driven 6 hours up to visit from VA for the surprise. Apparently Max's doesn't need our business.
- consisitent qualitytjargerVIPDined on 7/11/2014As always, Max's delivers excellent food at reasonable prices with terrific service. I had the scallops over spinach risotto. The scallops were seared perfectly, still nice and moist with a lot of flavor. The risotto was tasty, and spot on consistency. Probably the first time I have ever been 100% happy with risotto at a restaurant. I normally avoid it at all places except one other. I trusted Max's and it paid off as usual. Our friend was very pleased with his beef filet, and my wife wife was pleased her meal as well. We will of course return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodJoe041684Dined on 7/11/2014As always at Max's the food and the service was awesome. Would recommend Max's to everyone.Special Features:
- Don't miss the musselsCharlieVIPDined on 7/7/2014Try the Thai mussels for your appetizer. They are done to perfection. The broth at the bottom of your bowl is so good - sop it up with bread or order a side of pasta with the mussels and make that your meal. It's sweet, salty, aromatic and a little spicey. Heaven in a bowl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best beer, wine, BAR around!HcassDined on 7/5/2014Must have the calamari & mussels! The fish tacos are terrific bar food regardless of when you visit Max's. I had a special entree,?which missed the mark but everything else was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodMeganCDined on 7/3/2014Everything was very nice. Our server was both friendly & attentive.
- Max's never disappointsJoe041684Dined on 6/29/2014Max's never disappoints me when it comes to the great food and awesome atmosphere. Dining at Max's over the years has always provided me with excellent food and service from start to finish.Special Features:
- Max's exceeded all expectationsinebooDined on 6/28/2014Jacket & tie quality in a blue collar residential neighborhood. What a find! Casual crowd, relaxed atmosphere, excellent service and food prepared and presented with the utmost precision and taste. Not cheap but the cost is absolutely justified. Free parking lot across the street. Impressive bar and live local music on weekends. Near major roads and bridges. Why did it take me so long to find this place ? Clearly the equal of the best restaurants across the river. I hope they don't read this.Special Features:
- Hidden treasureDinamiteDined on 6/28/2014I never knew this place existed. I came across it when trying to avoid Friday shore traffic on the highway. The food is outstanding and rivals the big city restaurants which I like to frequent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get over the townSJFoodSnobDined on 6/25/2014You might say who would go to Gloucester City for dinner, but you need to get over that. Max's is a fabulous place to have dinner any time of the year. They cook with love, not like a chain with over cooked seafood soaked in butter. The crab dip is amazing, the mussels have to be the best I've ever tasted and the lobest ravioli is amazing. I'd go back without a second thought....and I have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Dinner3ofUsDined on 6/22/2014We went for a special dinner last Sunday night. Because everyone is down the shore at this time of year, we had almost the whole place to ourselves. The service was great; the food was very good. It's a little pricey to go to frequently, but it's a definite revisit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualbasketlady88Dined on 6/22/2014Had dinner here on a Sunday evening with 3 other couples. We had the dining room to ourselves and it was great for us as Max's can get fairly noisy when they're busy. Three of us had the crab cakes which are SO good. No one complained about their meal and everyone was happy. While we had been there several times before, this was the 1st time for the other 3 couples and they all said they would return again. We had just THE nicest server. She couldn't have been any nicer or more helpful. (wish I could remember her name).Special Features:
- too many changesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014This restaurant was always a comfortable spot where you could count on a good traditional meal. It has become trendy. And pricy. The menu is filled with choices that I don't particularly like now. I'm thinking I'm not the customer they want today. So, go if you are very young, want to drink more than eat, and don't mind paying extra for whatever. The food was just ok to good.. Honestly, in good conscience, I can't recommend Max's.
- won't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014Our Father's Day dinner started with the restaurant telling us they had no record of our reservation, despite the fact that I had received an emailed confirmation. We sat at the bar and paid over $17 for 2 drinks, nothing elaborate or top shelf. When we finally got a table, our waitress was slow and inattentive. I had a view into the kitchen, where the wait staff spent a lot of time standing around talking to one another instead of checking on their customers. The food was excellent, but the rest of our experience left a lot to be desired.
- Over ratedricky11414Dined on 6/15/2014Found this a disappointing first experience that I shared with my friends. The food was pricey , the selection limited, no salad , soup, or veggies included with entree, it was all priced extra. The food was mediocre to say the least and not worth the $179 plus tip for a party of four.Special Features:
- redhotDined on 6/15/2014The food and service at Max's was as wonderful as it always is when we dine there. The specials are so delicious and different.Special Features:
- Difficult reviewJackDined on 6/14/2014Food good, ambiance, staff generally poor. Sat me over an air vent that I had to put a menu over so as not to freeze. Later, waiter showed me that they kept menu's above the tables for that purpose. Was charged $10 for one drink in the bar and $11.00 for the same drink in the dining area. The bar was a complete disaster. They didn't know how to make the two drinks I ordered and wait was painful. Called to say going to be 15 minutes late and they thanked me and said no problem. Upon arrival was told there was a 20 minute wait because they had "walkins". I could go on.Special Features:
- birthday dinnerGurmanDined on 6/14/2014Outstanding food, very tasty and delicious. Big improvement from my last visit. Good drinks and good beers. Server was alright, knowledgeable and attentive. The bus - girl was kinda funny, too inexperienced maybe. But it did not spoil the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceBobq22Dined on 6/13/2014We have come to pick Max's as the place to celebrate special occasions because the food, the service, and the ambience always make the occasion that much more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2014Love this restaurant! We have gone there for a quiet dinner and also used the private downstairs dining room for a birthday party. Bar is fun and love the music on weekends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeping it greattjargerVIPDined on 5/17/2014We've been fans of the "new" Max's for years. We only live a few miles away yet we tend to forget about it. This mean is going to change that. We always enjoyed the food at Max's but his time was even better. We brought a friend who had never been and was thrilled to find it was only 3 miles from his home. Our friend git the broiled seafood platter, my wife got the lobster/seafood risotto and I got the Blue fish barbeque- all excellent!Special Features:
- great cozy atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014great food...great atmosphere...great place to go out with friends and able to converse! crab cakes and key lime are awesome-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great atmosphereLauletDined on 5/16/2014There was a large crowd in a private party in the back room so service wasn't up to par but still pretty good. The prices are down a bit I think but we still spent a lot for four. But then we had three appetites and a dozen of osyters, 8!drinksmand dessert and coffee. $235 then a tip.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!PV101Dined on 5/13/2014Had lunch with co-workers and everyone enjoyed their meal very much! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- satisfiedDined on 5/10/2014We have dined here many times, service and food are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowJayTrexDined on 5/10/2014Was blown away by the food it was out of control everything we had was awesome great meal and I can't wait to go back !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doug OlsenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Great restaurant experience. The music was nice for evening dining and the food was very good. Will certainly come again.Special Features:
- The following 792 reviews are from the Max's Seafood Cafe reviews archive.
- Disappointing Easter LuncheonSJFoodieDined on 4/20/2014We have dined at Max's a few times and been very pleased with the food and service. However, the Easter special was a big disappointment. Two members of our party selected the Grilled Lamb Chop Special. The lamb was tough and the chop was poorly trimmed. There was a lot of gristle that was not edible. The salad under the lamb chops was overly dressed which made the fried new potatoes soggy. Flavor of the salad and the fresh tomato-mint concasse was good but the overall dish was disappointing. Another member of our party selected the crab cakes from the regular menu and was very pleased with that offering. We also chose the rhubarb berry cobbler dessert special. The dish was very cold and the cobbler was dense and hard.Special Features:
- Not quite what it was last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2014Not crowded on Good Friday. (Odd for a Seafood restaurant?) So I would classify the hit or miss service as between poor and fair. The waitress asked us what our order was about 15 minutes after we ordered. About 10 minutes after that she approached me and said that she was so sorry to tell me that the place was just making a new batch of crab cakes and it would take quite a bit longer - in the mean time could she bring me a complimentary house salad. I was perplexed how a seafood restaurant could be out of crab cakes on Good Friday, but I told her I would take a salad. A minute later she arrived with the originally ordered entrees and said "Here we are! Sorry I had you confused with another table!" Food was fairly good. Off service.
- Lobster Rolls are GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/18/2014had the lobster roll and old bay fries. it was great, will be back to have it againSpecial Features:
- over all pretty good...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2014The Shrimp were pretty good size, the truffle fries were amazing. The only two things I didn't like was there was no amuse-bouche offered for open table, this was the first restaurant we went to while using open table that didn't of. The second being I made a special request to put a candle in the dessert when I made the reservation that never came and that was the only reason I ordered the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.