Max's Seafood Cafe
34 North Burlington Street
Gloucester, NJ 08030Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Max's Seafood Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maxsseafoodcafe.com/
- Phone: 8564569774x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ralph Sitero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room with a fireplace off of our wine cellar that seats up to 22 people and a minimum of two. Perfect place for meeting, family gatherings and intimate special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Michele Perillo-Monahan 6094123166x
A word from Max's Seafood Cafe
Max's Café was built in 1890 as a shoe store. In 1912, 34 North Burlington Street reopened as Leisinger's Saloon for the next 25 years even through prohibition (as a "soft drink establishment"). In 1937, Leisinger's Saloon passed through the family & was renamed Max's Cafe; it’s name for the next 65 years. In 1977, a new simply prepared fresh seafood menu transformed Max's Cafe into Max’s Seafood Café. The neighboring building was acquired to seat the growing number of patrons from both sides of the Delaware River, often forming lines around the corner, waiting to enjoy fresh flounder, shrimp, clams, & most of all, Steamed Mussels! Max's reputation grew for the next 22 years before age & neglect left it in a state of disrepair. The bar restaurant closed in July of 1998 & remained dormant for 2 ½ years. Refurbished in late 2000, Max's Seafood Cafe reopened on June 2, 2001 to continue its tradition of hospitality, impeccably fresh seafood, & most of all Steamed mussels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Max's Seafood Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)special occasion (22)fit for foodies (21)romantic (14)notable wine list (8)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Time Out With FriendsDrRonVIPDined on 10/19/2014Dinner Sunday evening following a play at the South Camden Theatre was wonderful. Service was excellent and food was delicious. Jack was our server and Zach was his assistant. Both were warm, welcoming, and very professional. The cocktails and food were well prepared and tasty. All in all, it was a well-paced, fun get together, notwithstanding the only annoyance as the server we had previously who was far from pleasant took the low road and gave us "looks", talked about us to the other staff within hearing range of our group, and was out of place in a nice establishment. Might have been smarter had she smiled, greeted us, and moved on. Glad we went and will go back again and again. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We went for our Anniversary and had a very pleasant experience! (As always). The food is spectacular, the seating is well placed and the service is fantastic. I actually ordered a bottle of wine and since they were out,for the inconvenience, I was given a better bottle of wine for the same price! Absolutely LOVE It! It's also great for just a laid back bar seen. It's small but fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceSharonVIPDined on 10/17/2014Normally one of my favorite restaurants. The service on this day was exceptionally poor. The waitress had no idea which course we were on. Repeated herself five times. Here's a bottle of Perrier but its warm....is that okay. The people bussing the tables hurried us along. Took our silverware before we were finished. We won't be back.
- Order the Mussels!GreetingsfromOC08226Dined on 10/10/2014Great appetizers. The mussels are a standout. We ordered spicy red and thai. Both were enjoyable. Good stuffed flounder. Wait between appetizers and meal was a little too long -- guess they had lots of people arriving at the same time. Waitress apologized but a little attention during that wait would have been a nice touch. We split the creme burlee dessert. It was good, very creamy and vanilla flavor.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014Thought the German menu was adequate. Really enjoyed the Riesling wine at $7.00 a glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around great experience!BobnsueDined on 9/26/2014Brought our friends that have never been here and they were blown away at how good it was! We will definitely be back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Crab Cakes ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Everyone enjoyed our food - especially the crab cakes. Service was great - hope to see you again soon.Special Features:
- enjoyable diningMontlyDinnerClubDined on 9/11/2014This was the first time I had dinner at Max's and my group had a great evening. The service was great, the food was great and the pricing was what I expected. I just wish we all lived closer so we would dine there more often. It will definitely be on my comeback list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDrRonVIPDined on 9/7/2014Food was good though the crab cakes have been better. Service was not up to par. Sorry, but the server's approach, tone, attitude, voice, all were coarse and uncomfortable. She was attentive, but too intense, unpolished, and missing the important notion that the customer is always right (even when wrong). It is a way of bringing people back. On a better note, the bartender saw us coming and he opened the door for us, smiled, greeted us, and welcomed us into the restaurant and ensured that we were checked in and seated. Nice. That brings people back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014We really enjoy this bar/restaurant. The bar is beautiful and it's been in the neighborhood for decades. The food is great and menu has plenty to choose from. We ordered the crab cakes and shrimp Diablo which were awesome. The bar had a acoustic guitar player which was great to listen to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichDined on 9/2/2014The food and service were very good as were our previous visits. We can recommend the clams casino which we shared and also the bacon wrapped shrimp and crab stuffed flounder which we enjoyed. We have already a return visit for our dinner group of 14.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodapultraclassicVIPDined on 8/30/2014Max's is the kind of place where you would never think of being a seafood restaurant. The food here is awesome. The service is very prompt,attentive and friendly. I always look forward to dinning at Max's.Special Features:
- Disappointing changesPinelandJaneDined on 8/26/2014Max's has been a favorite for several years and we stopped about once a month. We loved the menu and the food. But there has been a change in the kitchen. Given the significant change, I was not comfortable writing a review until after two visits. Unfortunately, the food did not improve from the first to the second visit. The menu is less imaginative and pretty much the same as any other seafood restaurant. (and yes, we contacted the restaurant after the first disappointing visit, but received no response.)
- Returning soonOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014All food was great but the Thai mussels really stand out.Special Features:
- Great Seafood DelightsBigguyVIPDined on 8/10/2014If you are looking for a consistently great Seafood dinner location, then you are only a short drive away from Max's Seafood Cafe. It is the best.Special Features:
- Perfect for Date Night !Cog3164Dined on 8/9/2014My GF and I went Sat 8/9 at 5pm. No one else there which made it very cozy. Had an Excellant meal. Only hiccup was the Scallop appetizer was a bit sandy. No problem. Mentioned it to waiter and zoom. New one out ASAP. I had shrimp over sweet potatoes and She had a broiled combo. Every thing was delicious. It is a bit pricey but it started off a great night for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- /informativeEFDuffyDined on 8/8/2014Food was excellent; staff was friendly/informativeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry to say DISAPPOINTEDlindaOFnjDined on 8/2/2014Very surprised to be so disappointed. The appetizers: coconut shrimp - three were burnt & one was under cooked. Calamari - was good. The entrees: Flounder stuffed with crabmeat: was ok. Crab had over-powering taste of green peppers. Have had better, or equivalent, in SJ diners for much less money. Cod in lemon sauce: could only taste lemon, no taste of fish. Dessert: peach cobbler. The worst. The peaches were not peeled & the skin tasted like little pieces of leather. The one strip of pastry on top was ice cold but the peach mixture was warm. For $9, it was a disgrace. The service was spotty. The only time we saw our waitress was when she delivered the food. No offer to refill drinks. Bill $100 with tip. So not worth it.
- Max's never disappoints.jeseygirl513Dined on 7/26/2014We went for Farm to Fork week and were very pleased with all the menu options. I am a fan of buying local especially when I don't have to cook it! The Blueberry ice cream was the bomb!! Been dreaming of it ever since. WE'LL BE BACK SOON, THAT'S FOR SURE!Special Features:
- WilburWilburVIPDined on 7/26/2014For years our favorite restaurant, until now. My Marsala was fair, potatoes lumpy. My wife had a dried out flank with hard and seemingly uncooked potatoes. Bread was a short step from stale. Blueberry dessert was horrible. Now the key point. Appetizer, main course,coffee,dessert, and a bottle of wine - 55 minutes! If we wanted a fast food restaurant we would go there. Nothing worse than as you sit the waitress is already talking. Or the main course comes out while you are still eating your appetizer. It is such a shame that max's has fallen so far.
- Another great meal at Max'sparkingmanDined on 7/25/2014Went there because it was "Farm to Fork" week. $35 for a 4 course meal that was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotjerseyDined on 7/17/2014Great food/service/décor... We love this restaurant. Perfect for grabbing a bite before concerts in NJ/PASpecial Features:
- Great little spotBToalDined on 7/13/2014This is a great little place with a solid history of good food. The wait staff was very nice and the atmosphere was very pleasant. We had an assortment of foods at the table and everything was delicious and pleasing to the eye. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Ruined a special birthday surpriseCnjnvaDined on 7/13/2014Made reservations through OpenTable for Max's on a Sunday afternoon at 1pm. This was a surprise birthday splurge lunch for my 73 year old mother-in-law. We arrived at 1:02pm to find another family of 6 standing outside. They said they'd made a res. as well through OpenTable for 1pm. There was nobody in the restaurant - all lights were off and it was completely dark. The printed hours on the door said Sat 1-10pm. We all hung around until 1:15pm, but since it takes a while to open up a seafood restaurant and there was still not a single employee to be seen inside or out, we all abandoned the restaurant. Our party ended up at a local diner - we had driven 6 hours up to visit from VA for the surprise. Apparently Max's doesn't need our business.
- consisitent qualitytjargerVIPDined on 7/11/2014As always, Max's delivers excellent food at reasonable prices with terrific service. I had the scallops over spinach risotto. The scallops were seared perfectly, still nice and moist with a lot of flavor. The risotto was tasty, and spot on consistency. Probably the first time I have ever been 100% happy with risotto at a restaurant. I normally avoid it at all places except one other. I trusted Max's and it paid off as usual. Our friend was very pleased with his beef filet, and my wife wife was pleased her meal as well. We will of course return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodJoe041684Dined on 7/11/2014As always at Max's the food and the service was awesome. Would recommend Max's to everyone.Special Features:
- Don't miss the musselsCharlieVIPDined on 7/7/2014Try the Thai mussels for your appetizer. They are done to perfection. The broth at the bottom of your bowl is so good - sop it up with bread or order a side of pasta with the mussels and make that your meal. It's sweet, salty, aromatic and a little spicey. Heaven in a bowl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best beer, wine, BAR around!HcassVIPDined on 7/5/2014Must have the calamari & mussels! The fish tacos are terrific bar food regardless of when you visit Max's. I had a special entree,?which missed the mark but everything else was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodMeganCDined on 7/3/2014Everything was very nice. Our server was both friendly & attentive.
- Max's never disappointsJoe041684Dined on 6/29/2014Max's never disappoints me when it comes to the great food and awesome atmosphere. Dining at Max's over the years has always provided me with excellent food and service from start to finish.Special Features:
- Max's exceeded all expectationsinebooDined on 6/28/2014Jacket & tie quality in a blue collar residential neighborhood. What a find! Casual crowd, relaxed atmosphere, excellent service and food prepared and presented with the utmost precision and taste. Not cheap but the cost is absolutely justified. Free parking lot across the street. Impressive bar and live local music on weekends. Near major roads and bridges. Why did it take me so long to find this place ? Clearly the equal of the best restaurants across the river. I hope they don't read this.Special Features:
- Hidden treasureDinamiteDined on 6/28/2014I never knew this place existed. I came across it when trying to avoid Friday shore traffic on the highway. The food is outstanding and rivals the big city restaurants which I like to frequent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get over the townSJFoodSnobDined on 6/25/2014You might say who would go to Gloucester City for dinner, but you need to get over that. Max's is a fabulous place to have dinner any time of the year. They cook with love, not like a chain with over cooked seafood soaked in butter. The crab dip is amazing, the mussels have to be the best I've ever tasted and the lobest ravioli is amazing. I'd go back without a second thought....and I have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 809 reviews are from the Max's Seafood Cafe reviews archive.
- Very Nice Dinner3ofUsDined on 6/22/2014We went for a special dinner last Sunday night. Because everyone is down the shore at this time of year, we had almost the whole place to ourselves. The service was great; the food was very good. It's a little pricey to go to frequently, but it's a definite revisit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualbasketlady88Dined on 6/22/2014Had dinner here on a Sunday evening with 3 other couples. We had the dining room to ourselves and it was great for us as Max's can get fairly noisy when they're busy. Three of us had the crab cakes which are SO good. No one complained about their meal and everyone was happy. While we had been there several times before, this was the 1st time for the other 3 couples and they all said they would return again. We had just THE nicest server. She couldn't have been any nicer or more helpful. (wish I could remember her name).Special Features:
- too many changesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014This restaurant was always a comfortable spot where you could count on a good traditional meal. It has become trendy. And pricy. The menu is filled with choices that I don't particularly like now. I'm thinking I'm not the customer they want today. So, go if you are very young, want to drink more than eat, and don't mind paying extra for whatever. The food was just ok to good.. Honestly, in good conscience, I can't recommend Max's.
- won't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014Our Father's Day dinner started with the restaurant telling us they had no record of our reservation, despite the fact that I had received an emailed confirmation. We sat at the bar and paid over $17 for 2 drinks, nothing elaborate or top shelf. When we finally got a table, our waitress was slow and inattentive. I had a view into the kitchen, where the wait staff spent a lot of time standing around talking to one another instead of checking on their customers. The food was excellent, but the rest of our experience left a lot to be desired.
- Over ratedricky11414Dined on 6/15/2014Found this a disappointing first experience that I shared with my friends. The food was pricey , the selection limited, no salad , soup, or veggies included with entree, it was all priced extra. The food was mediocre to say the least and not worth the $179 plus tip for a party of four.Special Features:
- redhotDined on 6/15/2014The food and service at Max's was as wonderful as it always is when we dine there. The specials are so delicious and different.Special Features:
- Difficult reviewJackDined on 6/14/2014Food good, ambiance, staff generally poor. Sat me over an air vent that I had to put a menu over so as not to freeze. Later, waiter showed me that they kept menu's above the tables for that purpose. Was charged $10 for one drink in the bar and $11.00 for the same drink in the dining area. The bar was a complete disaster. They didn't know how to make the two drinks I ordered and wait was painful. Called to say going to be 15 minutes late and they thanked me and said no problem. Upon arrival was told there was a 20 minute wait because they had "walkins". I could go on.Special Features: