Max's Oyster Bar
964 Farmington Ave.
West Hartford, CT 06107Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Max's Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://maxsoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 8602366299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00 pm Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Scott Miller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have seating up to 25 and a private wine room.
A word from Max's Oyster Bar
Max's Oyster Bar is the fourth creation of restaurateur Richard Rosenthal and his partner Bob Cooke, formerly of Legal Seafood Restaurant Company. Located among unique shops, coffeehouses, and several restaurants, Max's Oyster Bar compliments West Hartford Center's charming and growing shopping district. The understated atmosphere of muted colors and comfortable seating allows diner's to focus on the truly important, the food. Featuring modern renditions of classic American seafood, Max's Oyster Bar menu has something for everyone. While seafood is the focal point, there are selections for even the most land bound. Ethnic influences are apparent throughout a menu filled with new interpretations on traditional fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Max's Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Max's Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (103)fit for foodies (84)hot spot (69)romantic (65)neighborhood gem (64)vibrant bar scene (64)great for outdoor dining (58)good for groups (46)great for lunch (39)notable wine list (38)great for brunch (14)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Buzzing DiningHappyDinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great food and service but the restaurant is loud. We were seated right next to the kitchen, which was actually quieter than the middle of the restaurant, although we had to put up with a parade of wait staff. There were some benefits to sitting there; our finished plates were picked up right away by passing staff, and our waiter was very attentive since he couldn't forget about us. It all worked out. The smokey gazpacho was outstanding, as was the swordfish I had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014Another enjoyable dinner. Tried the 3 course dinner menu. From the gazpacho to the dessert, delicious! Love coming back- never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableRestaurantwatcherDined on 9/9/2014Max restaurants have one thing in common; quality and service. On our most recent visit we enjoyed the prix-fixe menu and I was happy to see fluke on the menu, which has always been a favorite. The filet was cooked to perfection. Service as usual was top notch and professional. Max Oyster Bar continues as the crown jewel of the Max Group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely lunchpearlDined on 9/8/2014Service and attention to details - both outstanding. Our waiter kept an eye on our progress through the meal and kept the food coming at an easy pace. The food was beautifully prepared and accommodated all tastes. While there are very few vegetarian options the salads could be altered for that diet. The special of patty-pan squash was vegetarian and delicious. The bread basket was unremarkable. Fish does so well with cornbreads- adding a cornbread or muffin would be nice. Or bread with more texture for sauces and stews would be have been lovely.Special Features:
- Do not miss the espresso martini!goodfoodloverDined on 9/7/2014Not my first visit and this meal certainly solidified this restaurant in my excellent category. The menu, although not overwhelming at all, was full of wonderful sounding dishes that made it difficult to decide. So we opted for 2 of every oyster to get us warmed up! They were all delightful but the differences were noticeable and having the 'cheat sheet' to identify each pair made it a fun thing to do. The drink menu is wonderful and I highly recommend the barreled Negroni! The Gloria Ferrer blanc De Noirs was a great accompaniment to our entrees, pan roasted lobster and paella. But the best may have been the last: espresso martinis and molten chocolate truffle beignets! Outrageous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal, as alwayskjbmDined on 9/6/2014We often lunch at the Oyster Bar on Saturdays and go to dinner with family and friends other times. The service is always excellent and the oysters are wonderful. This is one of our Go To places. Always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening...SnoBumDined on 9/6/2014Father/Daughter date, enjoyed cocktails & wine, beautiful shellfish platter, Tuna and Paella entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Surprise!CEWalkDined on 9/5/2014Max's Oyster Bar is much more than the name indicates. It is a "white tablecloth" seafood restaurant with great food and some unique offerings. Business casual or country club dress is appropriate, although shorts and jeans are acceptable. Parking can be an issue and you may be best served using the parking garage a block over on busy nights. Food and service were very good. Enjoyable birthday dinner dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max group the bestdiningOutagainDined on 8/31/2014Once again a Max restaurant comes through. They have been great places for food, drink, staff, and interesting patrons since the early days of Max on Main, in Hartford, CT. Dinner at Max Oyster Bar was over Labor Day weekend and three of our group of four enjoyed different Lobster specials that were available. One of us had the crispy whole soft shell crab on polenta which was excellent.Special Features:
- max'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014we had great service and food. the atmosphere is lively and the food is good. my sons love the oyster bar appetizers. they are the best my family has ever eaten. have been several times and would go back again.Special Features:
- luieDined on 8/30/2014From the carrots with horseradish to munch on before ordering to the lemon tart for dessert, every menu item that we had was special. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Cosistently superiorarmchairquarterbackDined on 8/30/2014The 'Max' restaurants set high standards for themselves and their efforts reward the loyal customer base. The dishes are well conceived, tastefully prepared, and esthetically presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodeosccVIPDined on 8/30/2014My wife had swordfish, simply prepared, which she thoroughly enjoyed. I had the twin lobster special. There were two steamed chick lobsters, perfectly prepared. Server was terrific. All in all, a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Super staff - from the receptionist to the food runners to the server - particularly the server.Special Features:
- Pretty goodLoveToEatDined on 8/28/2014We had the most wonderful server! Very knowledgeable and we enjoyed great conversation with him. We began with the Seafood Sampler for two. Excellent! However, our mistake was staying with our trusty old standbys: fried whole belly clams and a fried combo platter. I would have wished for clams with sweeter bellies. My fried seafood combo plate was good (the fried fish was excellent), but I now regret not trying the panko crusted crabs or the hot lobster roll. Because I also cook seafood at home, I'm afraid we're a bit spoiled, so I would have to rate the dishes we tried as average. If we go again, we will definitely try to get out of our comfort zone and order something new. However, may I again say, "Kudo's to our excellent server!!"Special Features:
- Fine diningPeachieDiDined on 8/24/2014Consistently great food, exceptional attention to detail. Overall, superb dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmenteatoutDined on 8/23/2014My dinner was overcooked to the point of being inedible. By the time a replacement dinner arrived, my husband had already finished his meal and I had mine wrapped to go. I find the food at Max's Oyster Bar to be very uneven. Have had good food there and at other times, really mediocre food.Special Features:
- CoutraskiDined on 8/22/2014Good food- mostly seafood- lots of action all around.Special Features:
- Very NiceDisDevonDined on 8/19/2014This was my first time and I was quite pleased. The service was great and the food was delicious! I will definitely go there, again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelydoublegDined on 8/18/2014I would describe my lunch on Monday as lovely. I felt very relaxed. The meal was delicious and beautiful and we were very well attended to.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundemczarvinoDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I have been dining here for 12 years. We have always had a phenomenal meal accompanied by excellent service. The atmosphere is classy yet fun and dynamic. A perfect combination.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014I have visited Max's Oyster Bar on several occasions, and it never disaapoints! The food, the service and the bar/drinks always impress. I will be back again - and again - to indulge in the best seafood in CT!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Everything was good, with the exception of our table location. They sat us right in front of the raw bar, which is near the kitchen entrance. There were a couple open booths and tables nearby. We asked to sit in one of those but they said they were spoken for. Which was a good enough explanation for us. Turns out nobody sat at any of the tables the entire time we were there. Other than that the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and Great FoodRestaurantwatcherDined on 8/14/2014Great combination when you find it and we did. Needed a positive dining experience and Max did not disappoint. Add a great server (Steve) and we hit the jackpot...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCharlesDined on 8/13/2014This restaurant is always an awesome place to go. Sit outside, enjoy a nice glass of wine, eat lobster and oysters. Can't beat this place.Special Features:
- Sunday dinner with son & his girlAmoDinerDined on 8/10/2014We took our son and his girlfriend to Max's Oyster about 4 years ago, at that time we had a wonderful meal finished with the dessert of chocolate beignets. Since that night we've all talked about that singular dessert. Well last night we made a return visit, and we were very pleased to see that the beignets were still on the dessert menu, and 5 orders later (yes, that's one for each of us, and an extra one!) we walked a away having had a delicious meal. Richie Rosenthal has come a long way since we were fraternity brothers in college, congratulations to him, his staff and family for his continuing great success, we are all enjoying it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service as alwaysBrazilianFoodieCTDined on 8/10/2014I brought my parents to try out the place for the first time on a Sunday afternoon, and I was very satisfied as always. Our server was very polite, and knowledgeable regarding the menu. We drove all the way from Stamford just to satisfy our craving for oysters and we knew that Max's Oyster is the only place that I can get great variety of seafood, with amazing service, and the ambiance never fails whether inside or out I'll continue to go out of my way to return to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a groupBevMDined on 8/7/2014Max's Oyster Bar was able to accommodate a group, even when an extra diner arrived unexpectedly. Everyone was pleased with the wine and spirits selections, especially the mojitos, the Painkiller, and the Cucumber Dill Collins. Kudos for the selection of Ports. We all raved about the entrees, and the Chilean sea bass got particularly high marks. We were all visitors to Hartford, and would love to have a restaurant like Max's Oyster Bar close to home. (hint -- try suburban Philadelphia!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2foodloversDined on 8/5/2014Very good restaurant; friendly staff; very busy; popular spot in town.Special Features:
- Birthday bashEricdouglas81Dined on 8/2/2014Request tables early. Even one day or two if your group is larger and you want prime dinner hours. I got my group in for 8:30 on open table sat morning for sat night but would have liked earlier. The food was amazing. Not one complaint! You really couldent go wrong with the specials ether!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susieoDined on 8/2/2014We had an excellent dinner. The food and service were top notch. The only downside was the high noise level. Despite this we would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulVannab25Dined on 7/31/2014Once again Max's restaurants succeed. We had a 6:00 dinner reservation and were seated immediately. Had hoped for an outdoor table, but too late. But we sat by an open window with nice view and breeze. Our service was impeccable and loved the marinated carrots with our drinks. Three of us enjoyed the paella, tuna, mahi mahi and a side of the yummiest Mac and Cheese. No room for dessert. A West Hartford winner!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great return visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014It was our second visit to the Oyster Bar. We went in with high expectations and were not disappointed. We wanted to spend an extended time at the restaurant so we asked for a table by the window. My wife had the NY strip and it was done just right. My Chilean Sea Bass was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanDined on 7/26/2014Unbeatable Bloody Marys and delicious food. Quiet enough that we could hear each other speak. Appreciated not feeling rushed to vacate our table -- we felt very comfortable chatting a bit after lunch. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for dinner with the wifeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Good food, service and drinks plus you can get a nice desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed BagrestaurantloverDined on 7/17/2014What I liked: several unusual fish specials, willing to customize some dishes to diners' taste, carrot stick appetizers were delicious. Quality of food was excellent. Faux pas handled well - my food was delayed when others were served. Hostess apologized and I received free drink. What I didn't like: The level of noise from the bar made conversation almost impossible. Was much more than energetic - need to find a way of fixing this. We didn't ask to be moved and we should have. Service was so so - needed to remind waiter of things he hadn't brought that we asked for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's Oyster Bar - Excellent DiningDonandBeckyDined on 7/10/2014We have enjoyed Max's OB for many years - it's pricey (West Hartford CT) but we feel it's worth it. Great selection of East and West coast oysters. Many of various fresh fish, crab, lobster, mussel, scallop, clam, & other seafood selections. Other's who want meat have not been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good againOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/6/2014Was here years ago and remembered it fondly and was in the area again and wasn't disappointed. Lobster special great and so were the raw oysters. Very accommodating with special requests. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BMFBMFplfDined on 7/4/2014Spectacular seafood. Itgoes from fancy chef's choices to as simple as you would like. Always highest quality, raw or prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Another terrifc dinner at Max Oyster Bar. The servers are well trained, the raw oysters and clams were fresh and succulent, and our cod and salmon entrees were excellent. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.