Max's Oyster Bar
964 Farmington Ave.
West Hartford, CT 06107Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Max's Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://maxsoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 8602366299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00 pm Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Scott Miller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have seating up to 25 and a private wine room.
A word from Max's Oyster Bar
Max's Oyster Bar is the fourth creation of restaurateur Richard Rosenthal and his partner Bob Cooke, formerly of Legal Seafood Restaurant Company. Located among unique shops, coffeehouses, and several restaurants, Max's Oyster Bar compliments West Hartford Center's charming and growing shopping district. The understated atmosphere of muted colors and comfortable seating allows diner's to focus on the truly important, the food. Featuring modern renditions of classic American seafood, Max's Oyster Bar menu has something for everyone. While seafood is the focal point, there are selections for even the most land bound. Ethnic influences are apparent throughout a menu filled with new interpretations on traditional fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Max's Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Max's Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (104)fit for foodies (93)hot spot (71)neighborhood gem (66)vibrant bar scene (66)romantic (61)great for outdoor dining (50)good for groups (50)notable wine list (47)great for lunch (37)great for brunch (15)late-night find (11)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Saturday dinnerRoquesVIPDined on 10/18/2014The food and wait staff are outstanding at Max's oyster bar. The wait staff was friendly and knowledgable. The scallops and risotto are excellent as was the cinnamon bread pudding. However the ambiance and noise level left a bit to be desired. It was very noisy and a bit hectic to the point that my date and I had a hard time talking to each other. All in all it's a nice place and I will make a return trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice evening outyumkcDined on 10/18/2014Went here for restaurant week which is a good deal to have since you can taste a variety of dishes without breaking the bank. Very crowded the night we went and sat in the back in the small table. Other than that though, experience was great. Service was good and the food delicious. I like the pickled carrots they had to munch on versus having bread. had the chowder for app and the short rib for entrée. that was excellent, very tender and moist. chocolate for dessert was light but satisfying.Special Features:
- ServiceGatorDined on 10/17/2014Food was excellent,wait staff attentive. Kitchen backed up meal was slow in coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, cool atmosphereNtomachDined on 10/17/2014I always enjoy dining at any of the Max Restaurant Group establishments but Max Oyster is my favorite. Max Oyster has a cool, art decco sort of a vibe. Their menu selections are out of this world and I highly recommend it. My only complaint is that they jam pack the tables tightly together so that you are literally sitting within 3 feet of the table next to you and can here every word their saying. If you request a booth, you should be golden as they are always spacious. Last time we dined, we sat in the back room and it felt claustrophobic because of the spacing of the tables. Would certainly be 5 stars in my book if the layout was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealeosccVIPDined on 10/13/2014Our party of four enjoyed our meals very much. The service,as usual, was excellent. We always enjoy Max's Oyster Bar.Special Features:
- High on hype and price; low on qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014my guest sword fish was not well done, the noddle/spaghetti in my dish were Molto al dente and not to my taste, the food portion was small and not enough zest in the sauce.Special Features:
- Service is NOT deadservice101Dined on 10/12/2014Very pleased to say that service is still alive at Max's. The warm greeting we got upon entering and being seated to the knowledgeable waiter who was very attentive and friendly. The food was outstanding. My son said he wants to visit once a week, not in our budget but we will be back at least 3-4 times a year for special events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!foodieVIPDined on 10/10/2014We loved our evening at Max's Oyster Bar. The oysters were so very fresh and presented perfectly. I had the Rainbow Trout with grits which I would highly recommend. We will be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Food was outstanding but the noise level is a challenge especially if conducting a business meeting. For a party of four it is fine, but with a larger group it is very difficult to hear casual conversation. I most likely would choose a different venue for a business meeting for a group in excess of four people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/7/2014Food and service were excellent. Great seating and beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Seafood in a Vibrant SettingAgodavaDined on 10/4/2014Happened to be in the area for an event that happened to fall on our anniversary. Max's was recommended by a friend. The seafood is fresh and expertly prepared. The raw bar provided an excellent starter with the taste of the sea. It was like sitting on the dock and eating the catch fresh off the boat. The sides are inventive and tasty. Desserts capped a fun evening. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Solid wine list. Place can get loud as they do pack them in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable LunchHyExpectationsDined on 10/1/2014It's been a while since the last visit to the Oyster Bar and it was rewarded with a thoroughly enjoyable lunch. Service was attentive and accommodating. The food was tasty and the Squid Ink pasta is now a new favorite. This was a late lunch (2:00) and completely solved the rather high noise level the Oyster Bar attains at peak lunch and diner times. Go and enjoy.Special Features:
- frequentfoodieDined on 9/28/2014We go to Max's fairly regularly these days, since we have found it to be consistently excellent. I particularly love the crab cakes, and the salads are delicious too. Their regular French fries are memorable, as are the ones with truffle oil. It is a very comfortable atmosphere, yet it still feels like a bit of a hot spot. It is usually quite busy when we are there.Special Features:
- The details are the key.FunfoodDined on 9/27/2014Excellent knowledgeable service, a reasonable uncontrived wine list, predictabley superior food and of course the oysters all add up to the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Excellent food, service and ambiance. I would recommend for special occasion, business meal or night out!Special Features:
- To loud and overpriced.Sweetie2040Dined on 9/20/2014Went there on a special date night which was a sat. It was so loud I had to yell over the table to talk. Not romantic at all. More of a "hang out" atmosphere. Food decent but very pricey. Would not go there on a weekend if you want a quiet dinner. Otherwise if you don't mind talking loud and feeling very crammed into a small space it might be for you. Not returning any time soon.Special Features:
- Great dinner againSharonCTVIPDined on 9/20/2014Max's Oyster Bar is one of my favorite Max restaurants. Always lively, we were here during restaurant week and it was completely full. I had to change my reservation multiple times, and they were able to accommodate me by calling even though they had blocked out the time on Open Table by then. Had a great time with friends. Took a few people who had never been before and everyone loved it. Great seafood.Special Features:
- Wonderful outdoor lunchSammiDDined on 9/20/2014It was great to eat with friends and enjoy the outside weather. Fish tacos were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dinner of ups and downsBarbaraDined on 9/18/2014My husband and I had dinner at Max's Oyster Thursday night. Our waiter was busy but provided fine service. Our drinks were delicious, the gazpacho was excellent, my fluke fish was wonderfully prepared, but my husband's steak was overcooked. When we alerted the waiter, he ordered an entire new platter that came from the kitchen perfectly cooked to medium rare. The dessert was a perfect ending to dinner. After we paid, we strolled up the street. Walking through CVS to return to our car in the parking lot, our waiter found us. I don't know how he located us, but there he was to return my credit card which I had carelessly left on the table. I am sorry that I don't remember his name, but I consider him a fine man, and I thank him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buzzing DiningHappyDinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great food and service but the restaurant is loud. We were seated right next to the kitchen, which was actually quieter than the middle of the restaurant, although we had to put up with a parade of wait staff. There were some benefits to sitting there; our finished plates were picked up right away by passing staff, and our waiter was very attentive since he couldn't forget about us. It all worked out. The smokey gazpacho was outstanding, as was the swordfish I had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014Another enjoyable dinner. Tried the 3 course dinner menu. From the gazpacho to the dessert, delicious! Love coming back- never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableRestaurantwatcherDined on 9/9/2014Max restaurants have one thing in common; quality and service. On our most recent visit we enjoyed the prix-fixe menu and I was happy to see fluke on the menu, which has always been a favorite. The filet was cooked to perfection. Service as usual was top notch and professional. Max Oyster Bar continues as the crown jewel of the Max Group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely lunchpearlDined on 9/8/2014Service and attention to details - both outstanding. Our waiter kept an eye on our progress through the meal and kept the food coming at an easy pace. The food was beautifully prepared and accommodated all tastes. While there are very few vegetarian options the salads could be altered for that diet. The special of patty-pan squash was vegetarian and delicious. The bread basket was unremarkable. Fish does so well with cornbreads- adding a cornbread or muffin would be nice. Or bread with more texture for sauces and stews would be have been lovely.Special Features:
- Do not miss the espresso martini!goodfoodloverDined on 9/7/2014Not my first visit and this meal certainly solidified this restaurant in my excellent category. The menu, although not overwhelming at all, was full of wonderful sounding dishes that made it difficult to decide. So we opted for 2 of every oyster to get us warmed up! They were all delightful but the differences were noticeable and having the 'cheat sheet' to identify each pair made it a fun thing to do. The drink menu is wonderful and I highly recommend the barreled Negroni! The Gloria Ferrer blanc De Noirs was a great accompaniment to our entrees, pan roasted lobster and paella. But the best may have been the last: espresso martinis and molten chocolate truffle beignets! Outrageous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal, as alwayskjbmDined on 9/6/2014We often lunch at the Oyster Bar on Saturdays and go to dinner with family and friends other times. The service is always excellent and the oysters are wonderful. This is one of our Go To places. Always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening...SnoBumDined on 9/6/2014Father/Daughter date, enjoyed cocktails & wine, beautiful shellfish platter, Tuna and Paella entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Surprise!CEWalkDined on 9/5/2014Max's Oyster Bar is much more than the name indicates. It is a "white tablecloth" seafood restaurant with great food and some unique offerings. Business casual or country club dress is appropriate, although shorts and jeans are acceptable. Parking can be an issue and you may be best served using the parking garage a block over on busy nights. Food and service were very good. Enjoyable birthday dinner dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max group the bestdiningOutagainDined on 8/31/2014Once again a Max restaurant comes through. They have been great places for food, drink, staff, and interesting patrons since the early days of Max on Main, in Hartford, CT. Dinner at Max Oyster Bar was over Labor Day weekend and three of our group of four enjoyed different Lobster specials that were available. One of us had the crispy whole soft shell crab on polenta which was excellent.Special Features:
- max'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014we had great service and food. the atmosphere is lively and the food is good. my sons love the oyster bar appetizers. they are the best my family has ever eaten. have been several times and would go back again.Special Features:
- luieDined on 8/30/2014From the carrots with horseradish to munch on before ordering to the lemon tart for dessert, every menu item that we had was special. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Cosistently superiorarmchairquarterbackDined on 8/30/2014The 'Max' restaurants set high standards for themselves and their efforts reward the loyal customer base. The dishes are well conceived, tastefully prepared, and esthetically presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodeosccVIPDined on 8/30/2014My wife had swordfish, simply prepared, which she thoroughly enjoyed. I had the twin lobster special. There were two steamed chick lobsters, perfectly prepared. Server was terrific. All in all, a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Super staff - from the receptionist to the food runners to the server - particularly the server.Special Features:
- Pretty goodLoveToEatDined on 8/28/2014We had the most wonderful server! Very knowledgeable and we enjoyed great conversation with him. We began with the Seafood Sampler for two. Excellent! However, our mistake was staying with our trusty old standbys: fried whole belly clams and a fried combo platter. I would have wished for clams with sweeter bellies. My fried seafood combo plate was good (the fried fish was excellent), but I now regret not trying the panko crusted crabs or the hot lobster roll. Because I also cook seafood at home, I'm afraid we're a bit spoiled, so I would have to rate the dishes we tried as average. If we go again, we will definitely try to get out of our comfort zone and order something new. However, may I again say, "Kudo's to our excellent server!!"Special Features:
- Fine diningPeachieDiDined on 8/24/2014Consistently great food, exceptional attention to detail. Overall, superb dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmenteatoutDined on 8/23/2014My dinner was overcooked to the point of being inedible. By the time a replacement dinner arrived, my husband had already finished his meal and I had mine wrapped to go. I find the food at Max's Oyster Bar to be very uneven. Have had good food there and at other times, really mediocre food.Special Features:
- CoutraskiDined on 8/22/2014Good food- mostly seafood- lots of action all around.Special Features:
- Very NiceDisDevonDined on 8/19/2014This was my first time and I was quite pleased. The service was great and the food was delicious! I will definitely go there, again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelydoublegDined on 8/18/2014I would describe my lunch on Monday as lovely. I felt very relaxed. The meal was delicious and beautiful and we were very well attended to.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundemczarvinoDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I have been dining here for 12 years. We have always had a phenomenal meal accompanied by excellent service. The atmosphere is classy yet fun and dynamic. A perfect combination.Special Features: