Max's Oyster Bar
964 Farmington Ave.
West Hartford, CT 06107Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Max's Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://maxsoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 8602366299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00 pm Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Scott Miller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have seating up to 25 and a private wine room.
A word from Max's Oyster Bar
Max's Oyster Bar is the fourth creation of restaurateur Richard Rosenthal and his partner Bob Cooke, formerly of Legal Seafood Restaurant Company. Located among unique shops, coffeehouses, and several restaurants, Max's Oyster Bar compliments West Hartford Center's charming and growing shopping district. The understated atmosphere of muted colors and comfortable seating allows diner's to focus on the truly important, the food. Featuring modern renditions of classic American seafood, Max's Oyster Bar menu has something for everyone. While seafood is the focal point, there are selections for even the most land bound. Ethnic influences are apparent throughout a menu filled with new interpretations on traditional fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Max's Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Max's Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)fit for foodies (77)romantic (71)hot spot (63)neighborhood gem (62)vibrant bar scene (56)great for outdoor dining (55)good for groups (37)great for lunch (37)notable wine list (35)great for brunch (16)late-night find (14)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Fine diningPeachieDiDined on 8/24/2014Consistently great food, exceptional attention to detail. Overall, superb dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmenteatoutDined on 8/23/2014My dinner was overcooked to the point of being inedible. By the time a replacement dinner arrived, my husband had already finished his meal and I had mine wrapped to go. I find the food at Max's Oyster Bar to be very uneven. Have had good food there and at other times, really mediocre food.Special Features:
- CoutraskiDined on 8/22/2014Good food- mostly seafood- lots of action all around.Special Features:
- Very NiceDisDevonDined on 8/19/2014This was my first time and I was quite pleased. The service was great and the food was delicious! I will definitely go there, again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelydoublegDined on 8/18/2014I would describe my lunch on Monday as lovely. I felt very relaxed. The meal was delicious and beautiful and we were very well attended to.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundemczarvinoDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I have been dining here for 12 years. We have always had a phenomenal meal accompanied by excellent service. The atmosphere is classy yet fun and dynamic. A perfect combination.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014I have visited Max's Oyster Bar on several occasions, and it never disaapoints! The food, the service and the bar/drinks always impress. I will be back again - and again - to indulge in the best seafood in CT!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Everything was good, with the exception of our table location. They sat us right in front of the raw bar, which is near the kitchen entrance. There were a couple open booths and tables nearby. We asked to sit in one of those but they said they were spoken for. Which was a good enough explanation for us. Turns out nobody sat at any of the tables the entire time we were there. Other than that the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and Great FoodRestaurantwatcherDined on 8/14/2014Great combination when you find it and we did. Needed a positive dining experience and Max did not disappoint. Add a great server (Steve) and we hit the jackpot...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCharlesDined on 8/13/2014This restaurant is always an awesome place to go. Sit outside, enjoy a nice glass of wine, eat lobster and oysters. Can't beat this place.Special Features:
- Sunday dinner with son & his girlAmoDinerDined on 8/10/2014We took our son and his girlfriend to Max's Oyster about 4 years ago, at that time we had a wonderful meal finished with the dessert of chocolate beignets. Since that night we've all talked about that singular dessert. Well last night we made a return visit, and we were very pleased to see that the beignets were still on the dessert menu, and 5 orders later (yes, that's one for each of us, and an extra one!) we walked a away having had a delicious meal. Richie Rosenthal has come a long way since we were fraternity brothers in college, congratulations to him, his staff and family for his continuing great success, we are all enjoying it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service as alwaysBrazilianFoodieCTDined on 8/10/2014I brought my parents to try out the place for the first time on a Sunday afternoon, and I was very satisfied as always. Our server was very polite, and knowledgeable regarding the menu. We drove all the way from Stamford just to satisfy our craving for oysters and we knew that Max's Oyster is the only place that I can get great variety of seafood, with amazing service, and the ambiance never fails whether inside or out I'll continue to go out of my way to return to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a groupBevMDined on 8/7/2014Max's Oyster Bar was able to accommodate a group, even when an extra diner arrived unexpectedly. Everyone was pleased with the wine and spirits selections, especially the mojitos, the Painkiller, and the Cucumber Dill Collins. Kudos for the selection of Ports. We all raved about the entrees, and the Chilean sea bass got particularly high marks. We were all visitors to Hartford, and would love to have a restaurant like Max's Oyster Bar close to home. (hint -- try suburban Philadelphia!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2foodloversDined on 8/5/2014Very good restaurant; friendly staff; very busy; popular spot in town.Special Features:
- Birthday bashEricdouglas81Dined on 8/2/2014Request tables early. Even one day or two if your group is larger and you want prime dinner hours. I got my group in for 8:30 on open table sat morning for sat night but would have liked earlier. The food was amazing. Not one complaint! You really couldent go wrong with the specials ether!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susieoDined on 8/2/2014We had an excellent dinner. The food and service were top notch. The only downside was the high noise level. Despite this we would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulVannab25Dined on 7/31/2014Once again Max's restaurants succeed. We had a 6:00 dinner reservation and were seated immediately. Had hoped for an outdoor table, but too late. But we sat by an open window with nice view and breeze. Our service was impeccable and loved the marinated carrots with our drinks. Three of us enjoyed the paella, tuna, mahi mahi and a side of the yummiest Mac and Cheese. No room for dessert. A West Hartford winner!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great return visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014It was our second visit to the Oyster Bar. We went in with high expectations and were not disappointed. We wanted to spend an extended time at the restaurant so we asked for a table by the window. My wife had the NY strip and it was done just right. My Chilean Sea Bass was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanDined on 7/26/2014Unbeatable Bloody Marys and delicious food. Quiet enough that we could hear each other speak. Appreciated not feeling rushed to vacate our table -- we felt very comfortable chatting a bit after lunch. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for dinner with the wifeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Good food, service and drinks plus you can get a nice desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed BagrestaurantloverDined on 7/17/2014What I liked: several unusual fish specials, willing to customize some dishes to diners' taste, carrot stick appetizers were delicious. Quality of food was excellent. Faux pas handled well - my food was delayed when others were served. Hostess apologized and I received free drink. What I didn't like: The level of noise from the bar made conversation almost impossible. Was much more than energetic - need to find a way of fixing this. We didn't ask to be moved and we should have. Service was so so - needed to remind waiter of things he hadn't brought that we asked for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's Oyster Bar - Excellent DiningDonandBeckyDined on 7/10/2014We have enjoyed Max's OB for many years - it's pricey (West Hartford CT) but we feel it's worth it. Great selection of East and West coast oysters. Many of various fresh fish, crab, lobster, mussel, scallop, clam, & other seafood selections. Other's who want meat have not been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good againOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/6/2014Was here years ago and remembered it fondly and was in the area again and wasn't disappointed. Lobster special great and so were the raw oysters. Very accommodating with special requests. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BMFBMFplfDined on 7/4/2014Spectacular seafood. Itgoes from fancy chef's choices to as simple as you would like. Always highest quality, raw or prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Another terrifc dinner at Max Oyster Bar. The servers are well trained, the raw oysters and clams were fresh and succulent, and our cod and salmon entrees were excellent. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectionMPfoodieDined on 6/29/2014We have never had a bad meal here. My husband and I love this place! We love their oyster selection, the Chilean sea bass is incredible...and their desserts are fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersBusterDined on 6/29/2014Oysters werer spectacular! Other entries very good. Speed of service not great good but excellent hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!!hallhigh70Dined on 6/28/2014After hearing our kids rave about Max's Oyster Bar back in January, we made our first visit a little over 6 weeks ago. Then we raved about it back to our kids and thanked them for telling us about it. So, on a recent visit they made this past weekend, we all went and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. We also brought in-laws new to West Hartford who only typically eat fish or pasta in restaurants, so this was a great choice for them. Service was excellent--attentive, but not hovering. Food was hot and fresh and came out at a good, but leisurely pace--not too slow, but not too fast. It is a great place for couples, groups or just about anyone who really enjoys a great seafood meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!cass32nDined on 6/27/2014We had an excellent time at Max's Oyster Bar. The food was amazing as always… You can't go wrong!Special Features:
- Max'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2014Excellent quality and service. Every dining experience at Max's has been great! Looking forward to the next one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy butmycopossumDined on 6/21/2014decent to good food. Not outstanding but good. Great place for people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in West HartfordTheBigEdgeDined on 6/20/2014Only challenge was finding it from downtown, but definitely worth the trouble!Special Features:
- Everything I thought it would beTaraCVIPDined on 6/14/2014Many people have said that this was a great place and they were right. The food was very good and the wait staff was attentive and friendly. There was a large party seated next to us, so the noise level was pretty high, but overall, the experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitJanna1963Dined on 6/11/2014Loved the food and ambiance however a little too noisy when sitting near the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish fantasySoulFoodVIPDined on 6/9/2014My wife and I stopped there for lunch and were happy we did. Max's whole belly clams are "to die for." We couldn't resist and ordered a second basket--and that's saying something at $21/order! So, if you like a rare southern New England specialty and have the $$ for the occasion give Max a visit. Their sides--cauliflower and spinach--are also excellent and they have a nice wine and beer list as well.Special Features:
- Food mediocreTonysDined on 6/6/2014Frequent Max oyster often. Oysters are now so miniscule the restaurant needs to rethink it's name. Our entrees were also poor. Poor execution and lackluster flavor. We hope our next visit is better. Tony Secombe
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Me and my wife celebrated our first anniversary at Max Oyster Bar. My wife loved the food as she is in love with seafood. I ordered a steak well done. Unfortunately, I got it medium well. That was the only lopsided. The environment was inviting and somewhat cozy, but not too fancy [which is great for me]. The waitress was very courteous and willing to explain all the menu. Even the manager when to our table to get feedback of our experience. We love it and definitively will return in a near future.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/1/2014An updated, more interesting brunch menu would be great.Special Features:
- Please don't forget my appetizerEL203Dined on 5/30/2014I've been to MOB a number of times, and have always had a great experience. To me, the food is worth the price tag. However, when I took my boyfriend there Friday night to celebrate a special occasion, I was a bit dissapointed by the service, in that she never brought out our appetizer. It made for what felt like a dissapointing, and somewhat rushed meal. I knew he was dissapointed as well. I usually don't mind paying well over $100 for two people, but absolutely not when you're forgetting a simple thing such as an appetizer. Honestly, I would prefer to dine down the street where the food is just as good, the price is a bit more modest, and attention to detail is a priority.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maxed upOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/29/2014Great as always. They used to have a better menu with options to have fish any way you want. I had to ask for this. The menu should be more detailed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.