Max's Opera Cafe of Palo Alto
711 Stanford Shopping Center
Palo Alto, CA 94304Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Max's Opera Cafe of Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxsworld.com/
- Phone: 6503236297
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 4:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Javier Rivera
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a wide variety of catering options including sandwich and salad platters as well as Entrees and dessert platters. Great for both business and home events.
- Entertainment: Starting at 6:00 pm Thursdays thru Sunday we have live music. The musicians will play and sing everything from opera to Billy Joel. We also have singing staff members that will perform throughout the evening.
A word from Max's Opera Cafe of Palo Alto
For over 25 years, Max's has served America's favorite foods with an upscale style at affordable prices. Boasting "everything you've always wanted to eat," only at Max's will you find a corned beef reuben, chinese chicken salad, ribeye steak, BBQ ribs and portabello mushroom pasta all on the one table. And for those with a sweet tooth, Max's sinful, awarding desserts will keep you coming back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Max's Opera Cafe of Palo Alto - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Max's Opera Cafe of Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (31)great for outdoor dining (27)kid-friendly (20)good for groups (18)great for brunch (11)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (6)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Shopping Break!!SweeeteDined on 9/1/2014Max's Opera Cafe has been located in the Stanford Shopping Center for years. It offers an excellent menu for lunch and mid-day break from shopping. The menu has a wide variety of selections, portions are very generous and the food is always fresh. Desserts are outstanding...from the mile-high chocolate cake, fist-sized macaroons, tarts and other assortment of sweets. You will never be disappointed. So shop, make reservations at Max's Opera Cafe...get off you feet and sit a spell, enjoy and delicious lunch or snack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palo Alto TreatDateNightVIPDined on 8/30/2014Max's Opera Cafe Palo Alto is a busy restaurant in equally busy Stanford Shopping Center. The only live music is outside, so you can't hear any unless you eat outside.Special Features:
- Max's is Good EnoughsoutherngrubDined on 8/27/2014When looking for a place to meet my daughter who works at Stanford, we remember Max's Opera Café from our past. It is in the Stanford Shopping Center which was very nice on a Wednesday evening in the summer. Max's food was good. We got Reuben's and they weren't as ridiculously large as I remember, so I could eat a whole sandwich. My daughter had summer menu grilled peach salad and it was delicious. Their desserts never disappoint. We enjoyed a 7 layer cookie bar - heated to perfection. It was a very nice dinner. I was disappointed by the state of the actual building. As I walked to the restroom, the floors were dirty and the overall cleanliness of the restaurant was not impressive.Special Features:
- Homey food in updated environmentlocalcoupleVIPDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed chicken pot pie and pastrami on rye in a high-ceiling airy dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thenomequeenDined on 7/23/2014My husband and I have eaten at Max's here and at Opera Plaza in San Francisco many times. I don't think we've ever been disappointed in the food, and rarely in the service. (They always try, but if a place is packed, taking and filling orders are going to take a bit of time.) The menu items are sandwiches, burgers, wraps, salads, soups, a few entrees, and desserts. On the expensive side for such fare, but the bread and produce are better than at cheaper places. This time I had garlic shrimp pasta, which was delicious. Not as garlicky as I expected--the garlic came in whole cloves, but they were cooked to sweetness, no bite. The spaghetti was properly cooked, there was a lovely faint lemon flavor, and the shrimp were excellent and plentiful.Special Features:
- Singing Max's PraisesKailaniVIPDined on 7/20/2014I love going to Max's with my family. We seem to get a cushy booth when we bring the little ones. The menu is always changing, and now it has more healthy and delicious salads which I love, as well as a big barbeque section that the carnivores are loving. I am so happy when someone is singing and playing the piano at Max's, and the ambiance seems to put us all in a convivial mood. Portions are large enough to take home tomorrow's lunch. Service is usually caring and sincere. Max's is a favorite and it's fun to stroll the shopping center on Sunday nights after all the stores have closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 7/20/2014Max's Opera Cafe offers a nice selection of salads and entrees. My family and I enjoyed the house salad, bacon, lettuce, and turkey sandwich, as well as the hot pastrami & Swiss sandwich with fries. The service was very slow however, and after waiting 20 minutes without seeing our waitress I asked for and was assigned another waitress, who picked up our table and did a nice job of making sure we were taken care of. Max's is a good choice for a meal when shopping at Stanford Shopping Center.Special Features:
- Very friendly servicerwclunch01VIPDined on 7/12/2014Food's very good American style. Good portion, but not as delicate as some French or Italian restaurants. My kids have sensors that detect non-organic chemicals in the food and they loved the food - so Max' Opera Cafe is my-kid-certified.Special Features:
- Good foods with huge portionHelenDined on 7/5/2014Good foods with huge portion. You can share with friends and families. I have ordered beef ribs. It is perfectly cooked and the meat melted in my mouth. The strawberry short cake is like "Food from Heaven".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth another meal!betterthancookingDined on 6/28/2014We were seated promptly when we arrived. The server was friendly and efficient. Our order was taken and served in a timely fashion. My salad, which was the smaller portion, looked the same size as my friend's larger version of the same salad. The difference was in the size of the bowl! They left off the avocado in both salads, but the server brought it to us on a plate, upon request. Our salads was tasty and plentiful. Would return to this restaurant for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palo Alto Staple for PastramiValhala95014Dined on 6/22/2014Max's sets the standard mid-peninsula for pastrami on rye and Matza Ball soup. Recommend you have these with a Creme soda. The piano player provides good back ground musc as well.Special Features:
- Great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/17/2014The salad specials were fabulous. My friend and I each had one. The service was very prompt and friendly! I would go again.Special Features:
- best corned beef aroundjkmenloparkDined on 6/15/2014The food is not fancy nor exotic, but excellent simple dishes. Great reuben's sandwich. Love the warm rolls. Good salads, too. Usually too full to have dessert, but they look great--tall cakes! Never had a bad dish. A little hard to have a conversation due to the live music, but it is entertaining.Special Features:
- Great Food; Large PortionsbankofdadDined on 6/15/2014The most difficult part of the experience is in deciding what menu items to get -- the choices are all too good! And save room for desert, if you can, as the desert menu is equally daunting in terms of wonderful choices! Be warned, bring a large appetite (and maybe a friend to share) as even the "sides" can constitute a full meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost a great experienceGreenT924Dined on 6/15/2014Went to Max's to celebrate Father's Day. Our party included my mom, our two children, my husband, and myself. The entrance is actually not as obvious as one would expect . My mom was in a wheelchair, and getting in was a bit tricky. Our server was outstanding -- I wish I could remember her name. She went the extra mile to accommodate all our requests. BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: one of the managers helped to serve, and as he stood with two plates, he gestured for my husband to reach across the table to take it from him. My husband's fingers were sticky with buffalo wing sauce, and asked politely if he could place it in front of him. The manager looked annoyed. Manager could take a page out of his staff's book. Especially on Father's Day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HUGE (but tasty) Portions!JMackVIPDined on 6/14/2014There is quite a bit of variety on their menu, including great breakfast, brunch and lunch fare. As their motto states, "This is a good place for a diet / This is a bad place for a diet." You can eat healthy or you can let loose! Either way, you will find something here for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 6/7/2014Max's is a good choice for reasonably priced food with decent service. The salads and sandwiches are tasty and served in large quantities, and breakfast is served late giving diners the choice of either breakfast or lunch late in the day on weekends. Reservations are suggested, as Max's get's crowded on many days. This is a good choice for lunch while shopping at the Stanford Center.Special Features:
- Dinner InsideFoodieDined on 5/29/2014Food was good as usual. The soups and sandwiches are safe bets. tried the pork sliders for the first time and was pleased. Inside the singers are way too loud. If they were on for 20 minutes and off for 20 would be better. Judging by the full tables outside and the emptys inside I think the singers are driving people away. I certainly would not miss them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014Good lunch, though my friend ordered the patty melt, & her onion tasted of suger. I agreed when I tasted it. Server brought another plate. Just remembered that Open Table did not include points for me for this reservation. Why is that?Special Features:
- My Plate Runneth OverReynVIPDined on 5/24/2014Good food and plenty on your plate. I ordered a To-Go box when I ordered my meal; then, divided the portion in half to take home. Good wines, experienced wait staff, happy people, superb ambiance, and feel-great residual emotions for the rest of the day. Enjoy!Special Features:
- The following 103 reviews are from the Max's Opera Cafe of Palo Alto reviews archive.
- Cafeteria want to be fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014The restaurant doesn't even had a decent entrance. You enter through the "patio dining" section and pass a bus station at the door to enter. The patio was filthy too! The service crew seemed ok except for our waitress who could not even make eye contact and rarely stopped by to see if we needed anything. The food was ok, but nothing to write home about. Items seemed rushed verse cooking to perfection and taste. The live music in a nice tough but too loud and fighting over the tv's which were on and a draw back from making the restaurant feel more up scale. The entire restaurant seems run down and dirty which always makes me wonder about the food quality and cleanliness of the kitchen.
- WON THE LOTTERYgoodfoodVIPDined on 5/15/2014WE EAT THERE OFTEN, THIS TIME WE WON THE LOTTERY FOR $ 10.00 OFF OUR BILLSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodPVNewfieDined on 5/11/2014Max's is a favorite of ours for its extensive menu--the service is usually prompt . The food is generally good.Special Features:
- Consistent, friendly, good foodGogiantsDined on 4/19/2014Max's Opera is a staple for us for a fun family night out, or a place to take out of town guests. The food is always good, with lots of variety on the menu. At dinner time, they usually have a solo performer playing music, which adds to the ambiance. It is great for kids. The kids menu has some really nice choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PleasurekvonnnerDined on 4/18/2014I've been coming to Max's for years and can always say, I've never not enjoyed my visit. I absolutely love their menu. My fav, crab cakes and patty melt... Also, the Black Forest Cake- yumm!!!!Special Features:
- Great Service and Delicious FoodIheartfoodDined on 4/17/2014This is not the first time I've dined at Max's. It is a great spot for lunch. A friend and I had lunch here to celebrate her birthday, so we had drinks and appetizers. The calamari was nomnomnom and the steak nachos were filling. The serving size for both were generous. Most importantly, our server was attentive. Great Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's is on an upJenLDDined on 4/12/2014We've been to Max's a lot over the years and are generally quite pleased with the food and service there. It seems to have its ups and downs. The menu had some changes since last we were there which looked quite positive. There were more healthy, vegetable- and grain-oriented dishes. I had a corned beef sandwich which came with a delicious side salad. The meat was very good! The only downside to the experience was the high volume of noise making conversation nearly impossible. It would be so wonderful if the obnoxious televisions were removed from the restaurant!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chicken Cobb salad wasEDWARDVIPDined on 4/5/2014The chicken Cobb salad was very good at Max's Opera Cafe and the rolls are delicious. The host seemed annoyed and a bit distracted and our wait staff was a bit "off," but overall it was a pleasant lunch and I recommend Max's Opera Cafe to anyone shopping at the Stanford Shopping Center. As the restaurant was full at noontime, I strongly recommend that one makes a reservation to avoid a long wait.Special Features:
- I BELIEVE THE PORTIONS HASgoodfoodVIPDined on 4/3/2014I BELIEVE THE PORTIONS HAS GOTTEN SMALLER. WE GO THERE ALOT !Special Features:
- Pastrami really good. HavingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2014Pastrami really good. Having made reservation got us seated promptly even though place was packed. Very good overall. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work lunchWorklunchDined on 3/28/2014Perfect place for food. Perfect place to creat Silicon Valleys next gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- has-beensiddyDined on 3/28/2014proud that the 'menu has changed' Max's is no longer a unique destination with good deli food...out of nostalgia we went to lunch for a good corned beef sandwich and that turned out to be dry and unedibvle..worst, when we complaind the waitperson said "sorry" and drifted away..2 wonderful dishes were no longer on the "new menu...awful experience
- Max's Opera Cafe - Palo AltoSundanceVIPDined on 3/22/2014This is one of our favorite spots. Easy restaurant where we can relax, talk and have a good meal. Our service is usually good but this last visit, our service was excellent. It always makes for a pleasant dining experience when the server is friendly and experienced. (And the music was excellent on this night as well).
- NY style deli foodJohnDined on 3/12/2014Max's Opera Cafe has the best New York style deli food on the Penninsula!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Place to meet after work!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/5/2014Had never been to the Max's at Stanforn Mall, Actually had never been to Stanford Mall :). Hooked up with a long time friend that I had lost contact with. She suggested This Max's to meet for an after work catch up fest. Got there early and found out they have this lil farmers Market right outside. Table was ready when I got there and waitress was excellent. We only ordered a few bites off the menu but the were ok. Wings were a little tiny but tasted good. Kale salad was excellent which was a first for me, the kale that is. All in all the place was good, people were pleasant and not that noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for kiddos and adultsTLeeDined on 2/28/2014We had dinner there on a Friday night with two of our kids, ages 8 and 10. We sat right next to the pianist and thoroughly enjoyed the live music and the food. The kid's desserts were HUGE, which the kids liked, but I thought were too big for them. Would have been good to split one between them.Special Features:
- Enjoyed -- but too loudbutterflyDined on 2/22/2014We enjoyed everything except the performer they had there. It was too loud and we found we had to almost shout to be heard.Special Features:
- Great quality diner foodEatandConfessVIPDined on 2/14/2014Great quick service, food is always flavorful and delicious. The price point and portions are incredible. Enjoy a few drinks from the bar and relax -- the live music is always a plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable comfort foodFoodie4VIPDined on 1/19/2014Good place for a Reuben fix. Big portions. Service can be spotty though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Max'sLauraDined on 1/9/2014We go to Max's frequently as our standby for great food and good service. Everything is yummy, but we especially love the pot pies and desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.