Max's Bistro & Bar
1784 W. Bullard Ave.
Fresno, CA 93711Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Max's Bistro & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maxsbistro.com/
- Phone: 559-439-6900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Scott Sauer/ Big Sur California
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Delivery of catering menu items to your business or home.
- Private Party Facilities: Max's has two semi-private dining areas accommodating party sizes of 18 or 40. We can also accomodate buy-out parties of up to 160 guests. Contact us for additional information.
- Private Party Contact: J.J. Wettstead 5598929969
A word from Max's Bistro & Bar
Max’s is regarded as one of the finest restaurants in the Central Valley. Our rustic California Cuisine and Gallery setting features local artist Tomas Panzarino. Max’s has welcomed Fresno visitors and our local neighbors for over 10 years. We are dedicated to using fresh local produce along with our house made artisan breads to insure a quality and healthy dining experience. The same quality and freshness is found in all the cocktails from our bar. Premium liquors, hand squeezed juices and muddled berries create our exceptional and award winning martini’s. We look forward to your visit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Max's Bistro & Bar - Best Restaurants in Fresno ›
Max's Bistro & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (36)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (23)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (15)romantic (12)good for groups (11)hot spot (6)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014One of our favorite places! Great food and environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RightstuffRightStuffDined on 9/5/2014The ambiance, staff service and food is consistently excellent. The only reason why I gave 4/5 star for food this particular night is because the wild rice (served with my halibut) was very undercooked. I couldn't eat it. I quietly let the server know, but the rest of the meal was perfect.Special Features:
- ChipDined on 8/30/2014A bit too noisy for conversation, but very good food and service. Unique art pieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Time Not Great!WorldRoutesDined on 8/15/2014We were disappointed by the food this time. Our past experiences have been particularly good, with tasty food presented well. We chose the Restaurant Week fixed menu which we thought should be as high quality in order to attract new customers and thank old ones. However, we were surprised the food was just so-so. We'll try again and choose of the regular menu, but if it's not as good, we'll move on.Special Features:
- REEDDined on 8/8/2014The food is always exceptional at Max's. The restaurant week menu was really a value! Our server was exceptional.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We were recommended this place by a friend. The food was delicious and the service was just as goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to place!AndruuzDined on 8/6/2014This is my go to place. The food and service is always consistent! Is a very good way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Honestly, the food was just okay. The service was good. Our drinks were the best part of the meal, so thank you to the bartender.
- PatrickoDined on 7/25/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience at Max's. We started off with cocktails in the bar area. Jenny the bartender, made some amazing blueberry martinis. She was delightful and really new her mixology. The food & service was fantastic, especially the scallops. Can't wait to visit Max's again.Special Features:
- Max'sZoggDined on 7/18/2014We have eaten at Max's many, many times. The food and service are outstanding. We've never had a bad meal. We will keep coming back.Special Features:
- Definitely go!active1Dined on 7/17/2014Went to this restaurant with another couple to celebrate our anniversary and just have an enjoyable meal. Our table was ready on time, and restaurant staff was friendly. A little noisy at times, but it did not deter from the experience. Yummy food all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!SunnieDined on 7/12/2014We always enjoy Max's! The food and service is excellent and consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyone !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Our waitress was the best : always had the answer to our questions ! Food was very tasty and we didn't have to wait for it ! Seems like it is a happy place ! We will be back ! Thank you for the evening !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday lunch with daughternewzDined on 6/29/2014We drove 65 miles just to have lunch at Max's. We were seated next to a table with 3 women who were having a very loud time. When we were seated they were finished with their meal. However, they were still there talking up a storm when my daughter and I left. It was not nice. The restaurant had many other empty tables we could have been sitting at.Special Features:
- Dependably good...FoodJagVIPDined on 6/27/2014there are few really good restaurants in Fresno, this is the exception. Consistently good food, excellent service, delicious food. We go here frequently and enjoy the food.Special Features:
- Good but misledPinotPaulVIPDined on 6/25/2014Very good and I enjoyed overall. My complaint is simply that I specifically asked if the Ahi entree was fresh and was told yes. When the Ahi arrived I could tell by looking at it that it wasn't. My first bite confirmed it. I mentioned to the waitress and she went to double check. She came back and meekly confirmed my claim. She generously offered to replace the dish but I declined. The Ahi was fine, but when Ahi is frozen its texture changes. I typically don't order Ahi that's been frozen so I was somewhat disappointed. Too bad as I believe the restaurant is very good.
- Great placeDukesvanDined on 6/18/2014From the outside you would never know how good this place is. The interior is beautiful and the the food is excellent! The staff is great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best in FresnoBobMDined on 6/13/2014Max's is our favorite spot because of the wine list, the delicious menu, and the adventurous specials, but mainly for how the staff receive us as friends every time we return!Special Features:
- Tops of Fresno DiningWorldRoutesDined on 6/7/2014It's a deal! Why? Because the taste of the foods is well above the price you pay for it - t's not low-budget, but it's worth the tastes! My lady and I went slow so I could savor the smokey seafood stew, and she the special...a halibut with a gentle sauce, potato pancakes, and brussels sprouts. We keep going back for the tastes.Special Features:
- Om nom nomLeggybrainyDined on 5/27/2014Great service, delicious mules and appetizers! The things I love about Max's that never change are (but not limited to); the high level of service, the delicious crusty bread, delightful cocktails and scrumptious food! My friend and I only had time for a few drinks and appetizers which were the wedge salad and the scallops. Both were fun and deliciously the hard sear on the scallops was perfection and the ingredients on the salad were fresh and wonderful. She and I each had the mule which we couldn't refuse because we're both suckers for Saint Germaine. All in all it was another great evening at Max's!Special Features:
- The following 320 reviews are from the Max's Bistro & Bar reviews archive.
- Delish DiningFresnoFoodieFanDined on 5/19/2014Great lunch!!!! Pleasant atmosphere, with food that was well prepared. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedluvmesomefoodDined on 5/16/2014Our first time at this Fresno "landmark" left us with mixed feelings. We had read several different reviews from multiple sources and were ready to accept that the service would not be all that good; for us, the opposite was true. Our server did an exemplary job of maintaining the perfect balance between being attentive and annoying, with the all important quality of an engaging personality. We began by splitting the lobster quesadilla, and after a bite we decided splitting it was a bad idea - it was awesome! Unfortunately we both experienced a decline in the entree's as my steak was barely warmed up, least of all medium rare, and my wifes vegetables were equally raw. We'll try again, but the food needs to be markedly improved. $300Special Features:
- excellent fresno diningunbyusfoodcriticDined on 5/10/2014Came to town to see my mother, brother & sister-in-law joined us on Saturday. I was leaving Sunday (Mother's Day) so we went to lunch Saturday for our Mother's Day lunch. Was so happy to find good food, service and ambiance! Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunch, but.....FresnoFoodieFanDined on 5/8/2014The food was delicious at Max's, but the server was so horrible. She acted like she was doing us a favor when we asked for anything. She could care less about our dining experience!Special Features:
- Max's is always outstandingjackdogDined on 5/6/2014This is a classy place. Food and service outstanding. The best restaurant in Fresno.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special birthday dinnerRightStuffDined on 5/4/2014This was our first Open Table reservation and we were celebrating my birthday. The ambiance, food, wine and service was excellent. In fact, by the time we got to dessert, I decided upon the peach cobbler to share with my husband because I knew he wouldn't share the crème brulee, my personal favorite. The server knew it was my birthday, and presented me with the vanilla crème brulee and a lit candle! This is definitely a neighborhood treasure for foodies and friends alike!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's going on?FiorichildDined on 4/26/2014We are regulars at Max's. The last three times we've been there the service has been mediocre at best. In the past we've looked past a meal that was neccesarily outstanding because the service was always so great and attentive. Each time we have been there our servers and other servers are more interested in long chit chatting with each other and customers that are also regulars, to the point of one server sitting at the table with the customer! We know the servers too which is why we like to dine there. But we are also paying customers first. Twice we have had to bring our own bill to the front because we were ready to go (after patiently waiting) because the servers were busy chatting away. We'll be back, but not for a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Cuisine and ServiceRickDined on 4/22/2014Paring elegant and unique menu selections of starters, entree's and desserts with amazing selections of wines, and couple this with outstanding service and you have and amazing and unforgetable dining experience. Mega kudo's to the chefs who prepare the most amazing selections, and the professional wait staff who are very attentive and enjoyable to converse with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2014Large and varied menu, somthing for everyone! Sweet potato fries are a must! Attentive service, pleasant atmosphere. When traveling to Fresno, I know I can count on Max's for consistent quality and tastey food.
- A Bit DisappointedHawkeye69VIPDined on 4/12/2014We had not been to Max's in a while. We always thought the food was pretty good, not great, but we loved the "vibe" and the pricing is very good. The service has always been good. This time, we were delighted to see they had made some changes to the menu since our last visit that really kicked the selections up a notch. Have to say, the menu was great...the execution was not. There were 8 of us (the server handled us easily), and we each had something different. Without going into a "blow by blow" on each item, suffice it to say the consensus was "good, not memorable" If you go out to "eat" you'll be satisfied. If you go out for a "dining experience" you'll want to try somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Business LunchBBDPEGDined on 4/8/2014As always, Max's takes the extra steps necessary to make dinning enjoyable. Attentive staff eager to help really make for a nice time. My guests had never been to Max's. Everyone left full and with a promise to return on their own. Can't ask for more than that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Fun TableBobMDined on 4/5/2014I was being a wise guy when I made our online reservation and asked for the "fun" table. The entire staff from the hostess to all the waitresses went all in and made sure we were their fun table all night. It was a great night made better by the fun people that work at Max's. Thank all of you! And the food and wine were all exceptional, just like every night at Max's!Special Features:
- Everything was deliciousDebbiEDined on 4/5/2014Had a nice Saturday evening dinner. The waitress was fantastic. When she noticed that a steak was overdone so she asked if a new one could be made to perfection. A few minutes later a perfect steak was brought out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait staff was amazing! PatientOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2014Wait staff was amazing! Patient with us as we stayed late on a Sunday night. Had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerYummyDined on 3/8/2014My husband had a dinner meeting here last week and came home and raved about his meal. So he suggested we go last weekend. We were both tired and I was hungry for meatloaf...so let me tell you this meatloaf is outstanding! The sautéed onions and sauce are unbelievable. Add mash potatoes and green beans and I was a happy girl. No salad or dessert required. Oh, my husband had the ArcticChar which was amazing as well. We weren't in the mood for a leisurely meal, just good food. All told we were in and out in 45 minutes and extremely satisfied!! Will be back soon.Special Features:
- A satisfying night outrumtumDined on 2/28/2014My wife and I wanted a quiet night out from our 2 year old. We arranged for a 7:45 seating and Max’s was right on time. The ambiance was not loud but active. We were still able to enjoy a quiet conversation without competing with the background. The waitress was very professional and attentive to our needs. My wife had the Petite Filet Mignon and was in heaven with the flavors. I ordered the Flat Iron Steak and savored the Bacon Wasabi Mashers. When we finished they cleared the table and left us to our conversation until I requested the bill. It was a very nice evening and look forward to doing it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food and service.FoodJagVIPDined on 2/21/2014Great way to end a week, consistently good food, reasonably priced. Great staff.Special Features:
- We enjoyed a dinner with ourGrooDined on 2/16/2014We enjoyed a dinner with our visiting family. The wait service was prompt and friendly. The food overall was very good, although, one of the specials of the night was not very special...should have figured out that it was a way to use up their leftover prime rib.Special Features:
- Good for FresnoFromWashingtonDCDined on 2/15/2014We enjoyed our dining experience at Max's Bistro; however, we felt for what Max's is that it thinks too highly of itself. The food was good but overpriced = Fair (2 star) rating. The timing of dinning was very quick - great service or poor timing? Out appetizer and salads were brought out on top of each other with barely enough time to clear the salad plates for dinner to arrive. We preferred LeLa's with a similar but better executed menu and the pace of dinning was much more of an experience. If you want a nice place to eat and then go do something else after eating Max's is great. If you want a Dinning experience Max's is lacking. A couple whom we are good friend's with prefers Cracked Pepper over LeLa's. Cracked Pepper will be nextSpecial Features:
- Great restaurant!sgtmac559Dined on 2/15/2014My first experience at Max's Bistro & Bar was an excellent one! Will return in the future.Special Features: