Maxine’s Fireweed Bistro
302 W Fireweed Ln
Anchorage, AK 99503Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Maxine’s Fireweed Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxinesfireweedbistro.com/
- Phone: 9077707600x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robert Lewis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For partial buy outs, guests can choose from our Private Solarium Dining Room, which features open air in the summer-time. Or guests can choose our main dining room, which accommodates larger parties and has several banquettes.
- Private Party Contact: Jasmine Schill 9077707600x
A word from Maxine’s Fireweed Bistro
Innovative and delicious cuisine at an affordable price. Everything is made from scratch, from our house baked bread and flatbreads, to every sauce and sorbet. Owned and operated by Chef Robert Lewis, graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, we’ve brought all of your favorites from the Girdwood location to Anchorage and even added a few surprises. We have an ever changing menu and sommelier selected wine and beer list that will keep your options as fresh as the ingredients we use.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Maxine’s Fireweed Bistro - Best Restaurants in Anchorage ›
Maxine’s Fireweed Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (17)romantic (13)notable wine list (10)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- MehKeetzDined on 10/18/2014Were hoping for that awsome pork loin dish that was always so good but they changed the menu we tried a few new things and we paid 17 dollars for 2 kobe beef sliders that were awful. I would rethink the bun. Something is not workin there.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Maxine's. The service was outstanding. We ordered both large and small plate offerings and was particularly pleased with the unique vegetarian plates. Loved the Wonton Tacos! Will most certainly recommend Maxine's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Agile chef & new old favoriteNWxNDined on 9/27/2014Housed in a famed building in the fringe of Spenard, but redone inside to be both modern and nostalgic, this bistro formerly-residing-in-Girdwood has a slightly raffish charm. The food is creative within the bounds of its local source ethic, very clean flavors are combined in interesting ways and some traditional dishes (duck confit with red cabbage, for example) are executed perfectly. Plates are attractive, no hidden inedible structures. Portions are not skimpy, enough to satisfy a man well over 6 feet. Late in the week, the kitchen surpringly was out of some accompaniments on the menu, but the chef offered a substitute that rivaled the original - without any delay in presentation. Service was friendly without being pushy.Special Features:
- Good food usually but not tonightJGlennDined on 9/20/2014The food is usually top quality, however, I ordered the fish tacos and was pretty disappointed. First off the appetizers were great as usually. We ordered the bread with fig and brie spread and the peach and quinoa salad. Both were wonderful and tasty. My husband ordered the cheeseburger which came with yummy crispy fries and a mouth watering burger. My fish tacos came on a corn tortilla which was so small that it was impossible to pick it up. The cabbage with a house made sauce was good but it overwhelmed the dish with very little fish in the tacos. I became so frustrated eating the taco that I finally gave up on eating the tortillas. Not a terrible night, but not the best.Special Features:
- sadRacquelDined on 9/13/2014I have been to maxine's a number of times and this time the service was awful, still good food but didn't make up for the lack of serviceSpecial Features:
- Creative MenuJHAKDined on 9/9/2014Maxine's has a menu that changes regularly, which keeps the choices fresh. The food is always excellent! the restaurant has a charming ambiance and the service is very good. Definitely a place I will return to again and again.Special Features:
- One of best in AnchoragePierrejoDined on 8/14/2014Very high quality imaginative cuisine. Robert uses a lot of spice, without making any of the dishes "spicy hot". His dishes are very creative, varied. For our vegetarian friends, a whole separate menu.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentAkNewfGirlDined on 8/14/2014I'm never disappointed when I dine at Maxine's and this evening was no exception. Delicious meal made with locally sourced ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like interesting cuisine? Try thisFoxyVIPDined on 8/9/2014This continues to be the most adventurous restaurant in Anchorage, in our opinion.Special Features:
- Most exciting food in AnchorageANCgirlDined on 8/9/2014This was our 5th visit to Maxine's. We want good food, good service and a quite atmosphere so we can talk. By going early we beat the crowds and can enjoy our meal. It is casual but classy. I could go to Maxine's once a week, but I love the food so much I want to keep it a special place for us! So I have to pace myself, but it is hard! REALLY GOOD FOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutVIPDined on 8/5/2014Love the vegetarian choices…and we are usually meat eaters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodAK123Dined on 7/30/2014Yet another fantastic meal at Maxine's. We will keep coming back again and again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014Didn't know where to take my folks who were arriving on the train, googled restaurants and found Open Table, that led to a few choices for our time and party of 9. The wife liked Maxine's menu so we reserved there. Arrived early but they seated us right away, excellent wine and food! And our waiter provided great service! The lamb was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Sunday night supper was excellent. Jalepeno dressing on the salad subtly spiced up the greens. My boyfriend liked the brisket more than my brisket; that's tough competition. The wine was surprisingly good. The staff, friendly and attentive. And so many sides!
- Don't forget about Maxine'saksackieluvsfoodDined on 6/27/2014With a wonderful midtown location I always forget about it. I promise not to any longer. They have added a wonderful addition and are able to seat more people which is wonderful. It is a small place so it was a struggle to get in and often I wouldn't try. They have amazing food and wonderful service. The addition of the Solarium that is a wonderful heated closed in porch is a fun dining experience and a great way to enjoy the outdoors even while raining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maxines is a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Great food! Fun night when we include Maxine... must try the surf and turf small plateSpecial Features:
- The following 237 reviews are from the Maxine’s Fireweed Bistro reviews archive.
- AMAZING!dashDined on 6/14/2014by far the best meal I have ever had, very quiet. Just be sure to make a reservations!Special Features:
- great nightAKpeterDined on 6/12/2014good friends, great food, outstanding service! we ate the specials my wife the vegetarian and I the beef, both were great. came out promptly,with a level of service all evening that was attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsRenovationDocDined on 6/6/2014The food was incredible. We opted to sit in the back corner for an intimate dinner. The solarium was bright and energetic so a great fit for other meals. Loved the wontons and brie small plates. Opted for fresh salad (watermelon, feta, over greens with some incredible lemon balsamic dressing) and big plate rather than just tapas. Couldn't have gone wrong either way. The NY strip special was the best steak I've had in years. And my wife loved her Thai lettuce wraps-- "So much better than PF Chang's" The building itself is like many in Alaska-not really big on curb appeal, the inside is decent but not super elegant, but once you are eating, you won't even care. It's that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutVIPDined on 5/28/2014Enjoy their creativity and new items each time…particularly the soups and vegetarian dishes.Special Features:
- Something was missing this timeFirstDined on 5/20/2014I noted on my OpenTable reservation that this dinner was for my fathers birthday. Not one person at the restaurant said happy birthday, there was no dessert, nothing. When the server mentioned dessert after our meal, I was still wondering if he was going to mention something. Nope. Not even when I asked if they had birthday cake. I just got a no answer. Awesome. I'm glad I brought him there for a celebration. Other than that.... Service was prompt but a bit scattered. The food was cooked as requested and tasted really good. What would have also been nice would be to get a refill on our coffee ($3), which we had instead of dessert, that comes in a small cup and the guy never came back. Guess we paid the bill too soon.Special Features:
- Fresh, creative foodAndiDined on 5/16/2014Maxine's has a menu that is inapired by fresh and creative dishea. They grow their own herbs right there, and use them to infuse their dishes with unique tastes. The outdoor dining was very confortable on a warm spring evening. Great place to gather with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014One of our favorites in Anchorage now. The first impression was that it was a little hole in the wall place, but was pleasantly surprised by the quality food and service.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemLove2eatDined on 5/11/2014We love Maxine's! My husband and I had never been there before we celebrated his birthday in March. We've been back four times since then! The menu is creative, and the food is so flavorful. It's hard to stay away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiemcfoodiesonDined on 5/11/2014Love the food and service here. I have come several times for dinner and was always impressed, tried out the Mother's Day Brunch special they did and it was also fantastic! As long as you are willing to spend a little more than the average I highly recommend it here.Special Features:
- Great for Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014My husband and I love to eat at Maxine's. The portion sizes aren't outrageous and the menu choices are very different than other restaurants. The chef does a wonderful job combining flavors with the main course and sides.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, friendly staff.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2014This was my second venture to Maxines and it remains high on my list. The Sunday 'family style' presentation was fun - got lots and lots of fresh veggies, which I appreciate. The meat sauces were flavorful and complimented the entrees. I knocked it down one star because someone was too enthusiastic with the salt this time, but I will ask them not to use so much next time, and all will be five star againSpecial Features:
- Great Food!monicareneeDined on 4/26/2014The food was wonderful and the wine list was great with many of our favorite options from home (Paso Robles, CA). Our only disappointment was that the server was chomping away on some bright blue gum as she served our table, yuck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first trip!BillDined on 4/24/2014My wife and I enjoyed a fine meal on our first visit to Maxine's! My wife has a food allergy that makes dining out difficult. After making the reservation, I called Maxine's about the issue. The person on the phone said to come in the chef would work with us. True to his word the chef made a wonderful meal for my wife ( seared duck). This was our first visit to Maxine's. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, as always. LoveClaireDined on 4/13/2014Great food, as always. Love the family-style dinner on Sundays. Service was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- Spectacular!JazzDined on 4/1/2014This is definitely a case of 'don't judge a book by it's cover'. Outside doesn't look like much, but the food was amazing! A creative chef with excellent skills made for a wonderful evening of dining. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKatrinaVIPDined on 3/29/2014Chef Robert has the most amazing dishes. The black cod was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the surf n turfGoodEaterDined on 3/29/2014I have eaten here a half dozen times over the last couple of years. I have never been disappointed. This place can be pretty inexpensive if you get a couple of the "small plates" and eat them tapas style. In a way that is a shame as the large plates are so good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Owners better get it togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014When we arrived a waiter pointed twice to our table instead of showing us to our table.We ordered bottles of red and white wine. 40 minutes after getting the white wine we got the red. The waitress was not trained and could not pronounce the the food she was describing. We were three couples that ordered the same salad and split them so we each got half salads. She delivered three salads to six people and walked away. There was a hair in mine. For the main course the pork tenderloin was so smokey and salty it was sent back. The lamb, and vegetarian dinner were good. Waiters & manager were so busy doing bus boy work and avoiding eye contact we couldn't even get our water glasses filled. Awful experience.
- Outstanding Dining Experience!AKgeek314Dined on 3/28/2014Great food and great wine...I highly recommend Maxine's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much change between theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2014Too much change between the excellence of the end product of the head Chef Robbi and the when he is not in the building...I would call ahead and make sure that he is cooking if you are a bit of a food snob...Other chef is generally fine, but if you are very particular then you need to come to restaurant when he is cooking...It can go from world class to ok in from one evening to the next... The wait staff has been with the restaurant since it opened and is very experienced with the menu...If you go and have poor service, it tends to be a specific waiter... the table right next to you probably had excellent service.... Its warm and cozy inside and is one of the best date night settings for small groups or dates...Special Features:
- Another tasty mealBeckyinAlaskaDined on 3/25/2014We like to go to Maxine's for dinner because the chef is willing to try new and interesting variations with the usual ingredients. And while we usually like some items more than others, we are always pleased with the variety and the intent to bring a different dining experience to us patrons. We will continue to dine here because we always have a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed the food and pairings.GrubsteakDined on 3/17/2014I enjoyed the food and pairings. I may be in the minority, but I think that smaller beer portions with larger food portions may appear to offer a better value.Special Features:
- Appetizer and entree's wereSacksDined on 3/6/2014Appetizer and entree's were very good, taste as well as presentation. Salads were not very good, weak presentation and worst ceaser salad ever.Special Features:
- Exceptional foodKJLowmanDined on 3/5/2014I am a regular customer and have never been anything but pleased and surprised at the quality and creativity of the food at Maxines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.