Maximillian's Grille & Wine Bar
8314 Chapel Hill Rd
Cary, NC 27513-4051Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $31 to $50
Maximillian's Grille & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maximilliansgrill.com/
- Phone: 9194652455
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Saturday: 5:00pm-Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Michael Schuffer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Maximillians offers a variety of catering options based on your individual needs, from business to social we will assure your event to be a success.
- Private Party Facilities: Our spacious upstairs loft overlooks the entire restaurant with seating for up to 24 people, and standing cocktail parties for up to 40.
- Private Party Contact: Gayle Schiffer 9194652455
A word from Maximillian's Grille & Wine Bar
Arriving in Cary in 1991, proprietors Michael & Gayle Schiffer opened Maximillians Grill. Using only the freshest seafood, beef and produce the area has to offer, Maximillians remains one of the elite eateries in the Triangle. Chef Schiffer's signature style of intense, free-form, fusion cooking has defined Maximillians for decades and will continue to do so.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Maximillian's Grille & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Cary ›
Maximillian's Grille & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (31)romantic (17)good for groups (10)notable wine list (6)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food! Verypersonal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I've been going to Maiximillian's since it first opened over 20 years ago as a small pizza & pasta place across from South Hills. The food is still incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Would have never know this place was in Cary if it had not been for the Our Local Deal Coupon. It was worth going and I planning on going back in the very near future. Prices were great, a wonderful selection from the menu as well as the day's specials. The food portions were of great size and very delicious. Save room for the large selection of home made desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the chef specialsLiveCloseByDined on 10/9/2014They are always great. Pricing is in the mid to upper range but you get what you pay for. Excellent staff and they had a guitar soloist there. The guitar man was not overbearing and added to the ambiance.Special Features:
- Bad experiencer55chDined on 10/4/2014The service by staff was excellent. The food mediocre at best. Tried each course. None worth having again. But what really spoiled the dining experience was the restroom. It was filthy. Disgusting. We asked to speak to the manager. The owner showed up at our table and basically blew us off. I know this place has been well reviewed by others, and that's why we decided to go there. Prior reviews not deserved AT THIS POINT IN TIME.
- Never disappointsArtBarbeauDined on 10/4/2014Went there for the Paella, got ensnared by a special. We will have to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/2/2014We enjoyed the food, although I thought some dishes were a little too spicy for my taste. The table set up was great for 10 people. But the noise level was awful, could not carry on a conversation except with the person right next to you and even then you have to talk loud. I did not like that at all. We were there to catch up with old friends and that did not work out well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Gem for FoodiesACulinaryGemDined on 9/24/2014Just experience the culinary creativity of Maximillians.Special Features:
- Nice find, thoroughly enjoyable.RayCVIPDined on 9/13/2014This was our first time to Maximillian's Grille. Most everything about the meal was thoroughly enjoyable. The service was knowledgable, attentive and high spirited. Our waiter really seemed to enjoy what he was doing. His guidance on selections was dead on. He was extremely knowledgable of menu items and specials. We started with a special, a Thai slaw, sounds so simple, but was really good. Our entrees were 'Biryani Chicken' and 'Apricot-Chipotle Pork Porterhouse Chop'. Both were an exotic assortment of flavors, a little hot spice, sweet fruit, nuts and herbs. My wife and I shared both. One of the best dinners out we've had in a while. It is on the high end of cost for a dinner. For an occasional splurge, I would highly recommend trying.Special Features:
- You've got to be kidding!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/6/2014Would never send anyone or return there. It was a catastrophe! Service was abominable and amateur. The bartender went MIA and couldn't get a glass of wine until the waitress went behind the bar. Nothing came out together . The Mussels were mushy.scary! Sat at our table for a ridiculous ammount if time before being acknowledged... Waitperson was harried to the point if confusion... The tables were full on arrival but as it cleared out and hardly anyone remained the service was exactly the same!! It had nothing to do with the customers.. Food was not acceptable and expensive... AMATEUR HOUR!!! AWFUL!!!
- Love this placekbenjDined on 9/6/2014We try to get to Maximillians at least a couple of times a year as it's right around the corner from us and we love the food. They use such an interesting combination of flavors and we always have a great meal there. That said, I only gave this 4 stars today because we found the food not up to its usual standard: the lettuce (grilled caesar salad - one of my favorites!) was gritty, the stuffed filet wasn't really stuffed, the tuna roll appetizer had way too much rice (much more than I remembered it ever having), and the burnt sugar on the creme brulee had too many pure sugar crystals. We will absolutely try again; I hope our last meal was just a fluke.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Creative, interesting, delicious. Variety, flavor and freshness all contribute to extremely enjoyable dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dr. ODoctorO55Dined on 9/2/2014Used to be one of our favorite places to dine. New management since we last visited. Dining area smelled of disinfectant cleaner and interior looked worn and unkempt. On the other hand, the food was nicely prepared, tasty and well presented. The food overall was not outstanding but had potential to be so, it was nevertheless quite good. Probably will not take the trek to this location again given the outstanding options that now exist in the Triangle area. Sad to see this memory lost.
- Great service and excellent food!foodenthusiastDined on 8/29/2014Our server, Evan, was attentive and very pleasant. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The only minor hiccup was the kitchen was slower on delivery of one of our entrees. Otherwise everything was perfect. We'll definitely return to Maximillian's Grille!Special Features:
- BrownDined on 8/27/2014Food was excellent, as usual. Service was unusually slow. Wait staff appeared to be under-manned and over-whelmed and were hurried to the point of almost being rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014When I lived here it was my favorite restaurant. Took sebveral people there while in town. Not bad, but not the superior food of the past. The grilled ceasar, a huge favorite, was mediocreSpecial Features:
- diningoutDined on 8/23/2014our reservation time was honored. we were a party of 4. three of us got served and the 4th, who ordered soup and salad did not. we had to call the hostess over to get his meal. we weren't checked on by the waitress and I had to hunt someone down to get a refill on my coffee and to get water. my fish was on the well side and my husband dinner was not good. it was a very disappointing evening.
- Consistenlt very gooddinerDined on 8/9/2014Whenever I take a date to Maximillian's they are impressed.Special Features:
- Great DisappointmentmyronfeinsteinDined on 8/1/2014Went to Maximillian's for the first time; took another couple with us. The best things about the restaurant was their website and their menu. The food fell far short of the great-looking menu items. The experience was "mediocre food" at "good food prices"!
- Exceeded ExpectationsMADD2DineDined on 8/1/2014We tried Maximillian’s after having some friends recommend it and reading some nice reviews on-line. However, our first impression upon walking in was not good. We almost turned around and walked out… the front of the house is dark and dingy and there is a horrible dessert case right up front. But we did not walk out and later we were glad. The food was really excellent. My wife and I each had one of the specials. She had the grouper and I had the veal chop. Both dishes were amazingly complex but coherent… not what you’d expect from a 20 year old “neighborhood gem.” The service was excellent as well. I can’t remember our server’s name but she was clearly very experienced in fine dining with an excellent touch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Upon arriving, I mentioned that my husband was hard of hearing (even though he wears hearing aids) and the reservation stated that we'd be upstairs. When I mentioned this to the waitress, she said that that was really for big groups (we had only 4 people) so we sat downstairs. As soon as we sat down, the music came on and we asked to have it turned down, which they did. Why don't restaurants have light jazz or classical music when people want to talk? Very frustrating. The food was good but a few items on the menu were not available and, surprisingly, no tea was available, just coffee. All in all, it was a mediocre experience, sorry to say.
- Maxmillian pizza kitchenGoodTimes123Dined on 7/29/2014Great food, clean,great service - Carter, our server was great, friendly and menu knowledgeable. We will return because we enjoyed ourselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very satisfiedmika3873Dined on 7/29/2014Our 2nd time in Maximilian's in the last few month - and both times we liked the food very much! This does not happen in EVRY italian restaurant with us. Recommend for foodies.Special Features:
- Not impressed at allDiningfor2Dined on 7/26/2014We've been there numerous times on special occasions and was always good....at night....when you really couldn't see the how run down the place was. It was 80 degrees when we arrived inside the restaurant and it was very dirty and smelly. The outside of the restaurant was so horrible... No ambiance at all... Food was good although I couldn't enjoy it because of how hot it was in there and sweat was literally dripping down my face. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Dining should be enjoyable and at the menu price should be outstanding! Didn't want another drink , dessert or coffee which we always have when we dine.. Not going back there again and not recommending
- CatherineDined on 7/26/2014Visited last evening with another couple. Two of us ordered the mushroom tortellini with chicken in a cream sauce. What was brought to the table was not at all as the menu described. I tasted the bowl of bland mush in broth and sent it back, my friend picked at hers but left 3/4 of the meal. The server removed my entrée charge from our invoice but we were disappointed that a manager or chef never came to our table to apologize or see if there was anything they could do or if there was anything else they could bring us. My husband had filet which was fine and our friend had tuna which he said was not great. Very disappointing, we will not return and now I understand the wide range of other reviews.
- A very pleasant dining experienceDanielDDined on 7/25/2014Great service by the whole dining room staff. Immediate seating even though all staff was obviously busy taking care of patrons and keeping the facility clean and ready for customers.Special Features:
- Great as ever!oltexanDined on 7/25/2014We don't live close so this is not on our 'regulars' list, but a recent visit reminded us just how good this place is. Somewhat pacific-fusion but generally just good contemporary cooking, her snapper and my smoked stuffed filet were outstanding, as were our appetizers of oysters and tempura fried tuna roll. Very reasonable prices on the menu and wine list tops it off, although the specials are usually quite a bit more. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Tasty Food!RDUYumminessDined on 7/22/2014The chef at Maximillans should try out for the Food Network's show "Chopped" because the things he can come up with make the entrees delicious and unique. I love how the menu changes so often. Ingredients I never would have tried together can be quite yummy when done correctly.Special Features:
- Terrific as usualyumyumDined on 7/19/2014We had dinner on Saturday evening and the food was impeccable as usual. I particularly like how they meld flavors to enhance each dish.Special Features:
- Always awsome spicy foodJayHDined on 7/14/2014Maximillian's is on our normal rotation. I'm tough on restaurants and I can honestly say that this restaurant is Fantastic. I've never eaten anything there I didn't love. You need to know that many of their dishes are spicy. For example, my son had the Thai Red curried lobster. It was as hot as most good Thai restaurants, and he really loved it. I always get the specials there. The chef is fantastic. Ambiance could be better, because when it's packed, it can get a little noisy. If you can, ask them to seat you upstairs for extra ambiance. A little noise doesn't affect me when you're getting food this good.Special Features:
- Great place!!chardloverDined on 7/12/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Service was superb and the food outstanding. I had the red snapper and my husband had the seared scallops special. We both ate the whole thing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GinaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Food is always outstanding! Have been here 3 or 4 times and I've never had the same thing twice. The desserts look really delicious....will have to try one sometime!Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodLindaDined on 7/12/2014Max's Grill continues to be our fav local restaurant - Michael is the most talented chef in Cary & beyond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the specials!MandMDined on 7/10/2014The menu has some options that look good, but the specials always sound better. We had both of the seafood specials. The first was a lobster stuffed with lo-mein in a red curry sauce. This was awesome, a bit pricey at $45, but we got a whole HUGE lobster. The second special was a "jerk" grouper. I put "jerk" because this is what the waiter said and it may have had jerk seasoning on it when it got on the grill, but it was served in green tropical/asian sauce. The green sauce was AMAZING... it had mangos and a thai curry feel. The grouper was our favorite and at nearly $30 was well worth it. We were initially planning on splitting the lobster, but we had never had grouper so we decided to get both... and we nearly licked both plates clean!Special Features:
- Hot!SusieQDined on 7/7/2014The restaurant was hot the evening we were there. And not a good "hot", but "hot" as in uncomfortably warm. That overshadowed the food and the service. We probably won't be coming back until the weather cools down.Special Features:
- Just OkaylikegoodfoodDined on 6/26/2014This was our first visit to Maximillian's. We had read several good reviews about it. Our experience was just okay. We ordered the lobster bisque soup, along with rosemary bread for appetizers. The soup had good flavor, but it was strange that there was no lobster in it, but two shrimp instead? The bread was a little too cheesy for my tastes. We ordered a beef filet for dinner and it was very strange. The plate was large and looked really cluttered and messy. The steak was cooked right, but it was stacked on a very spicy potato croquet (smashing it), Grilled squash and fried onions surrounded it and everything was covered in chopped parsley. The glass of wine we ordered was tiny and very expensive. Not sure we'll return.Special Features:
- The following 30 reviews are from the Maximillian's Grille & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Group FunGrrrrreatDined on 6/21/2014A group of 8 of us ate upstairs. This was the first time dining here for all of us. We were thrilled with both the service and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close BylrfoodieDined on 6/14/2014We ate here while staying at a hotel close by. We selected it seeing other reviews. Our experience was not as good as others and expensive for what we had.Special Features:
- First TimeTAC49VIPDined on 6/13/2014First time at Maximillian's Grille & Wine Bar and it is very good. Our group of 6 enjoyed the food and service very much. The fresh fish is especially nice !!! Surprising this restaurant is as crowded on a Friday night as you would expect for such good food and service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We expected more....BonniegalVIPDined on 6/13/2014Dined here on the recommendation of a friend. Promptly seated, but then not waited on for nearly 10 minutes. From there on service was on the "fast track", to the point that it was uncomfortable. Ordered the pork egg rolls for an app. They were good, but definitely not outstanding. We split the lobster stuffed with shrimp and it was tasty, and plenty big enough for 2, when we added a vegetable side dish. One outstanding comment I have to make are the quality of the martinis. We moved here from the Boston area a year ago and have found the area lacking in this category, as compared to many restaurants up north. Maximilian's knows how to make a drink! Overall, the food is good, and we would try them again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food; too noisyDragonfly60VIPDined on 6/12/2014I recently went for my wedding anniversary, having enjoyed quiet dinners there in the past. It was a weekday night so we didn't think it would be busy. We were bitterly disappointed by the loud, "yelling" guests who apparently were either intoxicated and/or rude. I'm not sure what the options would be without creating a larger space or buffering the walls, but I would suggest that if you want a quiet place to eat, do not come to this place! Food, by the way, was excellent. Distinctive flavors and fusion make it a gem in Cary. PS. This is not a wine bar. List of wines and selection was poor.Special Features: