5930 York Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90042Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maximilianohp.com/
- Phone: (323) 739-6125
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Andre Guerrero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our outdoor patio is a perfect place to host any intimate event. We offer many different private dining options, call during normal business hours to inquire.
- Private Party Contact: Spencer Cox 3237396125x
A word from Maximiliano
On the corner of York Blvd and Aldama Street, in Highland Park Los Angeles, there is a place where “Kinda” feels progressive, where the “Old School” is recognized as a source of inspiration and where a chef’s ideas of quality and playfulness redefine what a neighborhood Italian American restaurant and pizzeria ought to be. Chef Andre Guerrero challenges assumptions about Italian American fare, satisfying cravings for quality while remaining affordable. With Maximiliano, Guerrero continues on his mission to elevate classic dining traditions by doing things the right way; with care, creativity and above all a respect for great food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Maximiliano - Best Restaurants in Highland Park ›
Maximiliano reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (77)fit for foodies (52)great for outdoor dining (39)good for groups (38)kid-friendly (26)hot spot (24)great for brunch (21)special occasion (16)great for lunch (14)notable wine list (11)romantic (7)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- DisappointingjdelDined on 11/15/2014We have loved Maximiliano's since it opened and always look forward to a chance to eat there and gather with friends. But this visit was truly disappointing. Did they change chefs? Was it an off-night? It was the usual lively, rather loud, but fun ambiance. The service was excellent. I enjoy their wine list. But the food was so disappointing I'm not sure we'll be back. I love their bread plate, with butter, tapenade and a few slices of flatbread pizza. The tapenade arrived in it's usual metal cup but was almost completely OIL. I sent it back and when the waiter returned with a new cup, he said that he "picked one with the least oil". It was still about half oil. Hello? Tapenade is chopped up olives. It's practically a paste. Very unhappy. I know it's a small thing, but it's my favorite thing. My husband ordered his favorite Orecchiette, which came swimming in an oily pool of sauce - not the usual at all. I had the capellini, which is usually wonderful. It, too, came in an oily sauce that really tasted like it came from a jar. Very little basil, very little tomato. The best I can say is that it was hot. It's been so nice to have a restaurant in the neighborhood, but I don't think we will be going back.Special Features:
- Always great!MaxnddDined on 11/10/2014The fact that they're open on Monday did factor into our decision but it's wonderful on any day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014Everything here is consistently good. Easy family restaurant with lots of kid friendly choices and more sophisticated dishes for adults. We saw lots of families dining and a few couples on dates.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014This is a great neighborhood restaurant. Food is very good and you can always rely on good service, great food choices, good wine.Special Features:
- A gem of a restaurantSoCalGirlDined on 11/1/2014This was my 2nd time at Maximiliano's. We invited 2 friends who had never been here before. They loved it and all of us had wonderful meals. We sat on the patio and had a very relaxing and great visit. I would definitely come again and recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys good food done perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanielVIPDined on 10/27/2014great neighborhood find. the food, service, and atmosphere is well worth the visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014I came with high expectations but was disappointed. Our $15 deluxe pizza was lacking the main ingredient - it only had a few pieces of sausages and pepperoni. The special short rib ravioli was very salty (tasted like soy sauce). Pasta was fresh, al dente and hot but the meatballs were lukewarm and very bland. There was an interesting difference in temperature. Tiramisu was good.
- We love this restaurant!MaxnddDined on 10/23/2014Although eating inside is fine, we "discovered" the patio. A lower-key experience. We've heard the brunch is great and we'll try it soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian spot in North East LApatronjeffDined on 10/19/2014I was SO happy to finally get an Italian spot in my neighborhood; but I was thrilled when I actually tasted the pasta....it is Amazing! Great staff as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated Italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014I went to this restaurant because of all the good reviews it gets. It is in the middle of not a nice neighborhood. I thought the food was just ok, it was really noisy and atmosphere very basic kind of like a warehouse . To me there are a lot of restaurants that are better for Italian food in Pasadena , silverlake , glendale that you do not need to drive to a not so nice area to eatSpecial Features:
- Delish!lisaDined on 10/17/2014Yeah, it's worth fighting traffic during rush hour for dinner if you don't live in the hood. The pasta is so fresh and tasty...I get why they call it Bombolino!!! Homemade icecream so worth eating...The noise gets a bit loud but the design and style makes up for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seated 45 minutes AFTER res timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014Seated 45 minutes AFTER our reservation time. Nobody there cared or pretended, bothered to apologize or say "i am sorry, can we treat you to a glass of wine to hold you over." Nothing.When we arrived (5 minutes prior to our reservation time) we were told they were waiting for our table. Saw the hostess giving said table away 20 minutes later. When asked she said it was her colleague that gave it away. When finally seated we asked the waiter if we could please order quickly and he said no bc he had to take 2 other large table orders first. We explained we were going to be late for an event and he gave us a firm NO & walked away. Ours was a table for 2. Got an apology &offer to comp check after we paid. Food was ok. Not worth the wait.
- Noisiest Restaurant EverOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/10/2014The good food and very good service of this restaurant is greatly compromised by the horrific noise level (Friday night); certainly something could be done with floor coverings and/or other architectural choices to help this problem, but the large number of SCREAMING children, many who were allowed to run around the restaurant, made it a very unpleasant experience for my guest and me. I left with a sore throat from hollering across the table.Special Features:
- DanielVIPDined on 10/8/2014The menu is wonderful and the service is good. Parking is a big issue unless you don't mind walking 2-3 blocks which is actually a good thing after a heavy dinner. Never understand why folks with little children allow them to run free in the restaurant. It's dangerous for the children and the customers. Need to have some set rules about that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClayBauerDined on 10/5/2014Been here often. Always enjoy it and so do my out-of-town guests who often accompany me. Love that it's in my neighborhood.Special Features:
- MichaelDined on 10/3/2014We have been here several times since it opened. It has remained consistently good, except for dessert. An appetizer and a pizza make for an excellent meal. The menu has evolved which keeps it fresh, but also has maintained old favorites. It is a place where you can relax, fair prices, no pressure (at least later in the evening) and I am always surprised that there is not a line out the door at all hours. I always recommend it and will continue to do so.Special Features:
- Always a good experienceArroyoDined on 10/3/2014Have been here several times, and food, service great. Beet salad! Orechiette!Special Features:
- Sorry Iwaited so long...LAdinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014I don't know what took us so long to try this restaurant a few minutes from home. Menu is simple and varied and based upon what we ordered and saw others eating, whatever they serve, they do a great job. The watermelon salad was a refreshing way to start the meal. The Bianca Verde pizza was unique and delicious. We also tried the polenta appetizer...next time it will be the meatballs which appeared to be very popular. The frozen lemon dessert was a delicious way to end the meal. We can't wait to go back and try the rest of the menu. The room is colorful industrial and puts one in a good mood. We sat inside, but found the patio as we left. It has the feel of sitting in someone's backyard!Special Features:
- Love this local placeDanielVIPDined on 9/26/2014As usual the food was wonderful and the atmosphere pleasant. Exception for parents who let their children run and scream through the restaurant unattended. Our server was pleasant and friendly but not present enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything I had ImaginedTraciDined on 9/21/2014A friend and I went for my birthday. I really was craving spaghetti and meatballs, so we decided to try Maximiliano for the first time. It was everything I had imagined. Both of our dishes were outstanding. The Bombolotti pasta was flavored wonderfully, mushrooms inside was a great ingredient. My spaghetti and meatballs was delicious. Although I thought the portion was a little small, it made every bite difficult because I did not want to finish it to fast. I am not a huge beer drinker but saw on their menu that Craftsman created a special brew just for Maximiliano. It was supposed to pair well with my spaghetti and meatballs and it did. I was very happy with my birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Dinner SpotLuvRspotDined on 9/19/2014We've eaten here many times. The food is always great. It's so nice to have this gem right in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FablousTinaVIPDined on 9/19/2014Once Again Andre The Owner Of This Restaurant Maximiliano Has Outdone Himself.. With A New Chef, The Paella Was AMAZING I WAS Totally Blow Away. We Are Of Spaniards, And Not Even My Sister Can Top This She Was Fighting With Me To Give Her More.. No Way Everything Was Great Patio Dinning Is Number One Number One When Making Reservation Enjoy This Great Little GemSpecial Features:
- A Dependable DelightLuvDiningOutVIPDined on 9/16/2014Artsy, trendy, fresh and vibrant, Maxmiliano's is most importantly a great Italian restaurant with incredible pizzas, delicious pastas and flavorful, tasty entrees, mainly seafood. Open airy ambiance with spartan but colorful and handsome decor, their service is consistently top notch. A fun and fulfilling experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highland Park Hot SpotChopperDined on 9/11/2014In case there is somebody who has not noticed, Highland Park has experienced a renaissance these past couple of years. What used to be a place to avoid, HP is now alive with new restaurants, bars, shops, and spas, all good. It's the new to-go-to place. One definite highlight is Maximiliano Restaurant on York, owned and operated by the owner/chef of the Oinkster in Eagle Rock (and now Hollywood). The food is the main reason to visit Maximiliano. I particularly like any of the pasta dishes, but the chef, Andre, cooks a mean pork chop. The pizza is a sure bet too. I can't think of anything negative. Maybe the parking? Maybe they will add valet parking one day. Probably not. No matter, just go there!Special Features:
- love this placeJG14VIPDined on 9/7/2014great restaurant. food and service are always awesome.Special Features:
- It only takes one personBobGVIPDined on 9/6/2014The noise level at Maximiliano is always on the "energetic" side. There are no sound-deadening surfaces in the place and usually that is OK. But it only takes one unusually loud table, with a couple of individuals who only had one volume level (shout) to make it miserable for us at the next table. I tried and tried, but could not carry on any conversation at our table. In a room that was already pretty loud, it was impossible to hear anything beyond the high decibel noise from the next table. The place was packed so moving tables was not an option. Sadly, this was so frustrating that I think we will avoid Maximiliano in the future.
- Great Pizza & saladJandMDined on 9/6/2014Food is creative & very good. Service is great, had a great time with the family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, but flies!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014ate outdoors, very pleasant, but lots of flies near dusk. food was very good, everyone very happy. water was never refilled. server nice. pizza good, short ribs great, burrata nice, watermelon salad good, tagliatelle was very good, calcio e pepe was a bit dry. desserts were good. overall excellent will be back soon.Special Features:
- very good and consistentchilefoodDined on 8/30/2014I have been eating at Maximiiano's on and off for a couple of years and the food is consistently good. I had the special ink pasta with seafood and it was delicious, with a good portion of mussels, clams, shrimp, calamari, tiny scallops and spanish chorizo. Jalapeño gave it a spicy touch but not too much. Hope it's on the menu next time I go!!Special Features:
- A Nice Little FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014We had dinner here a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. The waiter seemed a bit hurried and distracted, and I was weirded out by the way the bartender (owner?) just stood behind the bar, staring at everyone eating. (The place was not that crowded, so this was very obvious.) The food was pretty good but nothing I'd go out of my way for, with a few exceptions... the roasted asparagus and spinach were very good. The pasta was ok (a B+). The salad was excellent, and the pizza was ok. This seemed to be a good place for kids and it is in a cute little location - very neighborhoody. Give it a try - maybe you'll love it!Special Features:
- Food Scene Alive in Highland ParkScottDinesDined on 8/16/2014So proud that Maximiliano's continues to wow food fans in Highland Park. The food is terrific - elevated without being fussy - and the neighborhood vibe is so electric that you can feel that you're part of a simmering geographic hotspot. If it's on the special menu, you must try the mushroom soup with truffle oil, so, so, so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the food!LisaMVIPDined on 8/16/2014Go here for the food, not the ambiance (which is not bad, just nothing special). We all loved our entrees, the roast chicken and salmon were terrific. Portion sizes are generous here and everything was cooked to perfection. I wanted to order everything on the menu - starters, sides, entrees and dessert. I will definitely be back to try something else next time, especially the seafood pasta dish that the person at the table next to us ordered. It looked amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FirstbiteDined on 8/15/2014This is my 8th visit to Maximilliano and it just gets better all around. Food , service, ambiance, drinks, dessert, etc. My biggest problem with Maximilliano is that they do not duplicate this restaurant in my neighborhood in the South Park area of downtown. I have to fight a lot of traffic to get to them for an early dinner, but I have to admit it all works when I have my first sip of their Italian Red and one of their delicious appetizers to start the magic. I grew up in Highland Partk and never imagined such a place could exist there.Special Features:
- Consistently goodStenojanDined on 8/10/2014Every time I go back it's as good as I remember it.Special Features:
- Good food good atmosphereFoodloverDined on 8/6/2014Maximiliano is a great neighborhood restaurant. It has a diverse clientele, a wonderful staff, very good food, and a small, but nice wine list. We've been with both family and friends and always gave a great time.Special Features:
- Slow DayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014I had been to Maximiliano's before, and they have amazing food and service. The only issue this time was that for brunch they took a long time to get our food out. My friend who had arrived ahead of me, let me know that they opened late because they said they had an issue with the kitchen. So this probably explains their delay with the food. But I would visit again because I have been before and they've had great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2014Been wanting to try this place for a while now and so had dinner here past Saturday. The service was good - our waiter was funny and nice. The manager though I was kind of disappointed because he checked on diners next to us but not once on us...that was kind of disappointing. The food was good - the pizza - was thin crust so very crispy. the baked polenta was delicious and also the baked fennel was very tasty. Overall I enjoyed the food and service here. We didn't think it was worth it to valet so we just parked across the street.Special Features:
- Joseph & Mary @ Maximiliano'sJandMDined on 8/2/2014Been there twice & we will continue to go. Great Highland Park gem. Pizza & pasta are very tasty, the meatballs are fantastic. Watermelon salad is refreshing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gross scones. Food goodRealTalkDined on 8/2/2014The Ricotta lemon pancake was the best! Everything else was good Except the scone!! The baker must have messed up it had waaaay to much baking soda in it and tasted matallic and nasty. It's too bad when a place doesn't even taste their own cooking. Everything else was good but not unique, portions were big but you paid for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 67 reviews are from the Maximiliano reviews archive.
- Great mealClayBauerDined on 7/23/2014Took my out-of-town nephew here and we both really enjoyed the food and the ambience. We ate outdoors which is much quieter than inside. I've been here many times and always enjoy it. Highly recommended!Special Features: