5930 York Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90042Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maximilianohp.com/
- Phone: 3237396125x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Andre Guerrero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our outdoor patio is a perfect place to host any intimate event. We offer many different private dining options, call during normal business hours to inquire.
- Private Party Contact: Spencer Cox 3237396125x
A word from Maximiliano
On the corner of York Blvd and Aldama Street, in Highland Park Los Angeles, there is a place where “Kinda” feels progressive, where the “Old School” is recognized as a source of inspiration and where a chef’s ideas of quality and playfulness redefine what a neighborhood Italian American restaurant and pizzeria ought to be. Chef Andre Guerrero challenges assumptions about Italian American fare, satisfying cravings for quality while remaining affordable. With Maximiliano, Guerrero continues on his mission to elevate classic dining traditions by doing things the right way; with care, creativity and above all a respect for great food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Maximiliano - Best Restaurants in Highland Park ›
Maximiliano reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (58)great for outdoor dining (46)good for groups (37)great for brunch (29)hot spot (20)special occasion (19)great for lunch (18)kid-friendly (17)romantic (16)late-night find (13)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Our Favorite Dinner SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014We've eaten here many times. The food is always great. It's so nice to have this gem right in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dependable DelightLuvDiningOutVIPDined on 9/16/2014Artsy, trendy, fresh and vibrant, Maxmiliano's is most importantly a great Italian restaurant with incredible pizzas, delicious pastas and flavorful, tasty entrees, mainly seafood. Open airy ambiance with spartan but colorful and handsome decor, their service is consistently top notch. A fun and fulfilling experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highland Park Hot SpotChopperDined on 9/11/2014In case there is somebody who has not noticed, Highland Park has experienced a renaissance these past couple of years. What used to be a place to avoid, HP is now alive with new restaurants, bars, shops, and spas, all good. It's the new to-go-to place. One definite highlight is Maximiliano Restaurant on York, owned and operated by the owner/chef of the Oinkster in Eagle Rock (and now Hollywood). The food is the main reason to visit Maximiliano. I particularly like any of the pasta dishes, but the chef, Andre, cooks a mean pork chop. The pizza is a sure bet too. I can't think of anything negative. Maybe the parking? Maybe they will add valet parking one day. Probably not. No matter, just go there!Special Features:
- love this placeJG14VIPDined on 9/7/2014great restaurant. food and service are always awesome.Special Features:
- It only takes one personBobGVIPDined on 9/6/2014The noise level at Maximiliano is always on the "energetic" side. There are no sound-deadening surfaces in the place and usually that is OK. But it only takes one unusually loud table, with a couple of individuals who only had one volume level (shout) to make it miserable for us at the next table. I tried and tried, but could not carry on any conversation at our table. In a room that was already pretty loud, it was impossible to hear anything beyond the high decibel noise from the next table. The place was packed so moving tables was not an option. Sadly, this was so frustrating that I think we will avoid Maximiliano in the future.
- Great Pizza & saladJandMDined on 9/6/2014Food is creative & very good. Service is great, had a great time with the family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, but flies!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014ate outdoors, very pleasant, but lots of flies near dusk. food was very good, everyone very happy. water was never refilled. server nice. pizza good, short ribs great, burrata nice, watermelon salad good, tagliatelle was very good, calcio e pepe was a bit dry. desserts were good. overall excellent will be back soon.Special Features:
- very good and consistentchilefoodDined on 8/30/2014I have been eating at Maximiiano's on and off for a couple of years and the food is consistently good. I had the special ink pasta with seafood and it was delicious, with a good portion of mussels, clams, shrimp, calamari, tiny scallops and spanish chorizo. Jalapeño gave it a spicy touch but not too much. Hope it's on the menu next time I go!!Special Features:
- A Nice Little FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014We had dinner here a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. The waiter seemed a bit hurried and distracted, and I was weirded out by the way the bartender (owner?) just stood behind the bar, staring at everyone eating. (The place was not that crowded, so this was very obvious.) The food was pretty good but nothing I'd go out of my way for, with a few exceptions... the roasted asparagus and spinach were very good. The pasta was ok (a B+). The salad was excellent, and the pizza was ok. This seemed to be a good place for kids and it is in a cute little location - very neighborhoody. Give it a try - maybe you'll love it!Special Features:
- Food Scene Alive in Highland ParkScottDinesDined on 8/16/2014So proud that Maximiliano's continues to wow food fans in Highland Park. The food is terrific - elevated without being fussy - and the neighborhood vibe is so electric that you can feel that you're part of a simmering geographic hotspot. If it's on the special menu, you must try the mushroom soup with truffle oil, so, so, so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the food!LisaMVIPDined on 8/16/2014Go here for the food, not the ambiance (which is not bad, just nothing special). We all loved our entrees, the roast chicken and salmon were terrific. Portion sizes are generous here and everything was cooked to perfection. I wanted to order everything on the menu - starters, sides, entrees and dessert. I will definitely be back to try something else next time, especially the seafood pasta dish that the person at the table next to us ordered. It looked amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FirstbiteDined on 8/15/2014This is my 8th visit to Maximilliano and it just gets better all around. Food , service, ambiance, drinks, dessert, etc. My biggest problem with Maximilliano is that they do not duplicate this restaurant in my neighborhood in the South Park area of downtown. I have to fight a lot of traffic to get to them for an early dinner, but I have to admit it all works when I have my first sip of their Italian Red and one of their delicious appetizers to start the magic. I grew up in Highland Partk and never imagined such a place could exist there.Special Features:
- Consistently goodStenojanDined on 8/10/2014Every time I go back it's as good as I remember it.Special Features:
- Good food good atmosphereFoodloverDined on 8/6/2014Maximiliano is a great neighborhood restaurant. It has a diverse clientele, a wonderful staff, very good food, and a small, but nice wine list. We've been with both family and friends and always gave a great time.Special Features:
- Slow DayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014I had been to Maximiliano's before, and they have amazing food and service. The only issue this time was that for brunch they took a long time to get our food out. My friend who had arrived ahead of me, let me know that they opened late because they said they had an issue with the kitchen. So this probably explains their delay with the food. But I would visit again because I have been before and they've had great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2014Been wanting to try this place for a while now and so had dinner here past Saturday. The service was good - our waiter was funny and nice. The manager though I was kind of disappointed because he checked on diners next to us but not once on us...that was kind of disappointing. The food was good - the pizza - was thin crust so very crispy. the baked polenta was delicious and also the baked fennel was very tasty. Overall I enjoyed the food and service here. We didn't think it was worth it to valet so we just parked across the street.Special Features:
- Joseph & Mary @ Maximiliano'sJandMDined on 8/2/2014Been there twice & we will continue to go. Great Highland Park gem. Pizza & pasta are very tasty, the meatballs are fantastic. Watermelon salad is refreshing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gross scones. Food goodRealTalkDined on 8/2/2014The Ricotta lemon pancake was the best! Everything else was good Except the scone!! The baker must have messed up it had waaaay to much baking soda in it and tasted matallic and nasty. It's too bad when a place doesn't even taste their own cooking. Everything else was good but not unique, portions were big but you paid for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealClayBauerDined on 7/23/2014Took my out-of-town nephew here and we both really enjoyed the food and the ambience. We ate outdoors which is much quieter than inside. I've been here many times and always enjoy it. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/13/2014In the words of Monty Burns, eggsellent! Food delicious , perfect for birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highland Park Gem!JandMDined on 7/12/2014I had cycled by Maximiliano's several times & finally decided to check it out. Wow!! Food was great, especially the watermelon salad & the meatballs are very good too. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute neighborhood restaurant!SuzannaDined on 7/12/2014You must get the backyard patio seating if you get a chance. This restaurant has excellent Italian food...the pork chop is a must! Their pizzas are delicious also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizza I have ever had, reallyskydesign2000Dined on 7/8/2014I ordered the Potato pizza, and substituted Tomato for Potato. They let me because of the rhyme. But when I took the first bite, my mouth exploded with flavor. Ive been eating pizza, like everyone else, my entire life, and this was, hands down, the best I have ever had. The beer tap was out of order, the only bottled beer I wanted was out of stock and our waiter's suggestions were not good at all, but I don't care because the Pizza is so good! If Spinal Tap were writing this review they would give the pizza an 11! I give it a 12. The interior design was spectacular. Ive worke with top architects and interior designers for a decade, and this place is just about a perfect design: Fun, Playful, Smart! Bravo to the whole team!Special Features:
- Great as AlwaysLovePizzaDined on 7/7/2014Loved the Pizza and the house lager is so good!! See ya next time!Special Features:
- AmazingShibagirlDined on 6/28/2014Glad I finally made it to check out Maximiliano. The food was amazing! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maximiliano is a keeperjudyroseDined on 6/27/2014This was only my second visit to Maximiliano, but it is becoming one of my favorite places. We had a reservation for 2, but my dinner partner added someone at the last minute. This is a very busy restaurant, and it gets fully booked very quickly, so I knew adding a 3rd person at the last minute would be a challenge for the hostess. And it was. But she was very nice and worked hard to sort out a table for us so we didn't have to wait. Not every restaurant that is this popular would go to all that trouble. The food was excellent. I particularly like the various veggie dishes. What a great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best hollandaise sauce ever!booba918Dined on 6/22/2014Thumbs up for brunch. Not crowded. Lovely patio. Smoked salmon benedict was PERFECT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NuhntimeDined on 6/20/2014Pasta, Pizza, a fun salad and some Wine....what more do you want me to say!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantRubyTuesdayDined on 6/20/2014I have been to Maximiliano's on numerous occasions and it has always been good, sometimes great. The dining area is noisy and very popular with the younger crowd, but the back patio is peaceful and quiet, perfect for warm weather. The menu is very inventive and has lots of options for vegetarians and vegans. The staff is friendly and the new manager, Matt, seems experienced, observant and interested in input from both the staff and the customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LSLUVS2DINEDined on 6/20/2014Fabulous appetizers. Mark Jilg's Craftsman beers - Yahoo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute neighborhood jointThereetressDined on 6/17/2014Nice addition to an up-and-coming neighborhood. More upscale than the traditional Italian restaurants in Highland Park/Eagle Rock, but not pretentious.Special Features:
- Loved the brunchatrisktravelerVIPDined on 6/15/2014First time here and was impressed. This place clearly didn't just copy someone else's menu, this menu is populated with unique and delicious creations. The price is very fair for what you get. I'm going back for dinner and this is my new brunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatLuckygrrrDined on 6/14/2014We have been here several times, as it is in our neighborhood, but most recently we sat in the patio, which we had never sampled before. It was very nice! With a deck, nice lighting and a cozy ambiance, though it was odd to see the astroturf on the walls immediately adjacent to the far end. Must be for noise dampening, which I'm sure the neighbors appreciate. It was fun! The food is always very good here. I had the halibut special, which I liked a lot, but I think one of my favorites is always the seafood pasta dish, with black noodles, red sauce and all kinds of shellfish. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AUTHENTIC ITALIAN FOODpatronjeffDined on 6/14/2014Great food, great service, I love this restaurant!Special Features:
- Nice FlavorsPalateGirlDined on 6/10/2014Great service fun environment and interesting food. The white wine selection needs some help but everything was terrific. Chocolate Cake is Incredible! I will dream about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchTioBoniVIPDined on 6/7/2014It was not Maximiliano's fault that my brunch companion didn't like poached eggs which come with what she ordered. And they were poached perfectly, which meant that I got a good sampling of her pulled pork and biscuits, as well as all of my corned beef hash. I'm not sure why, but the corned beef was good, but not great. The meat used in the sandwiches at the Oinkster tasted better to me so next time I'll try something else. But there will be a next time, which speaks well of the restaurant. Service was great and very considerate. Every dining experience in LA should be that way.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/6/2014Always listen to the specials. This time, I had the squid ink seafood pasta and it was possibly the best seafood pasta I've ever had.Special Features:
- Food needs workJkohl40102VIPDined on 5/26/2014With 100s of great Italian food restaurants no need to go here. Beatballs a little bland. Pizzeria Mozza much much better Ordered 2 pastas , took 2-3 bytes decided not worth it Chicken good Pizza soggy
- Great for beer and food pairingShanduDined on 5/25/2014Very nice local spot, tasty pizzas and brunch items were great. Great beer and food pairing menu items. They exclusively have Craftsman Brewery beers on tap, sort of like their unofficial tap room. The herbed house beer was awesome with our pizza! Hey Maximiliano!, till we meet again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Maximiliano reviews archive.
- within 10 minutes of homeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/20/2014first time to this locale. pasta dishes were satisfying, but we really liked the vegetable options. kale salad was great and roasted cauliflower too. We were actually able to avoid a pizza, but the two at the table next to us looked irresistable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.