Max - Tribeca
181 Duane Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Max - Tribeca
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.max-ny.com/
- Phone: 2129665939x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 4pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Luigi Iasilli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please, check our catering menu online.
A word from Max - Tribeca
Authentic traditional home Italian cooking. Award winning Best Lasagna, Best Meat Loaf, Best Pasta, Best DeliveryContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Max - Tribeca reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)romantic (17)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (7)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (6)special occasion (5)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Fantastic!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/1/2014While visiting NYC a friend recommended Max. The restaurant is very small and quaint but the food is big with flavor! Homemade pasta...the best I've ever had and fantastic meatballs and calamari. I'll definitely be back on my next visit to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingjerryfVIPDined on 9/30/2014Nice big meal and cheap! The burrata and prosciutto were excellent, as was the olive oil. The bread was not as fresh or crispy as it should have been. The eggplant parm and the rigatoni Sicilians were huge and well seasoned and well-prepared. However there was way too much sauce on both dishes. The place was so noisy it bordered on nerve racking. Too bad, I would have given it another chance, but not worth the trip for us from the east side. It's a total local hangout, and certainly not romantic as the person who recommended said it would be.Special Features:
- Hype-Free in TribecaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2014Max is one of the few places left in Tribeca where you can have a casual dinner with friends at a reasonable price. The food is very well prepared, though not cutting edge, the wine (especially the bottles) is carefully chosen and affordable, and the noise level doesn't preclude conversation. The prices are unbeatable in this neighborhood (and I know). Contrary to other posts I've read, I was seated at my reserved table when I arrived, even though my three dining companions came later. My only quibble is that the seating is a little cramped, and there's no natural light. But it's such a bargain that it's hard to complain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta was rawRomyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Love homemade pasta but don't like raw dough. Nor do I like fried pasta which is what happens to spaghetti & ragu when you attempt to cook it up a bit more in a frying pan sauce and all. Typical NYC situation of great lead chef coming up with amazing, authentically Italian food and no-skilled kitchen-hands ruining it. And they got our order wrong the first time so we had to wait another 10 minutes. And don't give me any of those 'al dente' excuses, I'm 100% Italian born & bred - I know the difference. Very disappointing as the ragu topping was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding.Shortstack25Dined on 9/5/2014Excellent food with a great staff in a lovely atmosphere. Can't get enough of this place. Been here at least 10 times and will certainly continue returning, zero complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/17/2014Great food, adequate service, accommodations could use some sprucing up. Will always come back because of the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatPaulaDined on 7/9/2014Based on on-line reviews we went the other night. Great neighborhood restaurant. The food was good, not great; flavorful, but not particuarly memorable. The service was really mixed. They were very well intentioned, but the execution was forgetful, at best. Given the size of the restaurant (small), I found that hard to believe. We will go back, just not running.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple is bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014Max has amazing no frills Italian food for the right price. The menu sticks to the basics and for that they have perfected their ways. Food was delicious and the restaurant itself is quaint and perfectly decorated. Will definitely make it a staple of my new neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehlunchbratVIPDined on 6/29/2014Cheap mozzarella on pizza, less-than-fresh burrata "special", fresh pepper offered for salads but not main course, long wait between apps and entrees.Special Features:
- Awesome sauceEtphonehomeDined on 6/27/2014I could drink their spaghetti sauce its so good! I have been here twice and the food is fresh and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food fast service!AC1992Dined on 6/26/2014Decided to try this out after finding it on open table. My friends and I got a reservation the day of which was great and the wait staff was very attentive. Bread basket was great and the food came out very quickly which was good considering we were all very hungry! Reasonable prices too! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 110 reviews are from the Max - Tribeca reviews archive.
- good italianImaniVIPDined on 6/2/2014food was okay, not overly impressed with the apps. entree portions were enough to feed two, which is always good. authentic italian dishes. wish the service was a little better considering it was only a few people in the restaurant when we dined. requested waiter to celebrate two birthdays and i guess she forgot, bummer. may return again but not a guaranteeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Affordable Italian place in TriBeCaJessicaWDined on 5/28/2014Cute Italian restaurant tucked away in TriBeCa. Reasonable prices, especially for the area. The space is somewhat small and rather dark, but the food is good and the location is near multiple subway stops. My panini was $13 and enough for 2 meals; that's the best 'bang for your buck' option, but the pastas & entrees are also good too ($15-18 but also good for sharing or 2 meals).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!ladywithagavelDined on 5/25/2014We brought our 18 month old grandson and they were wonderful to us. The food was very good and the atmosphere was great. The service was outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great local Italian - warmJzeatsVIPDined on 5/17/2014Max is a terrific little place, tucked away on Duane--great food, terrific environment, and attractive price. A couple of friends were in from out of town and this was the perfect spot for a nice dinner. The pastas were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice atmosphere, good foodYummy32VIPDined on 5/12/2014First time coming to Max. Atmosphere is great for a date with low lights and rustic decor. Food was good. We had squid spaghetti with shrimp which was good and the cod which was a bit salty. We also had the tiramisu which was recommend but not the great, way to sweet. Service was nice. The weather outside was in the high 70s and there was no air conditioner on so it was a bit hot. But will try again. They are very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy place with good foodTitusDined on 5/3/2014Good food in intimate settings. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Hit and miss.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/2/2014Great spicy black spaghetti with shrimp, wonderfully tender calamari, very nice staff. Lasagna and spaghetti with lamb ragu were okay. The only real disappointment was the carpaccio -- very sparse dish, with meat so thinly cut that it tore as you tried to pick it off the dish. Also, do not go for a quiet meal -- the place is extremely loud, despite its size.
- Nice Italian in TribecagabrijVIPDined on 4/22/2014This is the second time I've been to Max. Both times afforded me a very nice meal, with good service. While I probably would not go far out of my way to eat here, I would certainly return gladly if looking for a good Italian restaurant in Tribeca.
- Still good but not great...skicoloradoVIPDined on 4/12/2014Max TriBeCa has been one of our go-to neighborhood restaurants for many years, great for low-key local dinners as a couple or with friends and out of town guests. We were a bit underwhelmed by our visit this past weekend, however. Just seems like their attention to detail is slipping--large chips in several of our plates/bowls, a Bounty paper towel wrapped around the bottle of wine we ordered (really?!), and both our dishes were way overcooked. None of these were unforgivable offenses, but just makes you wonder. We'll give them another chance and hope this was just an isolated experience.
- Good foodMommysMealDined on 3/27/2014Dined here before, still good! 1st time w/my kids & they had a kids menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A surprisingly good find in TribecaThegoodlifeDined on 3/27/2014We were looking for a good Italian restaurant that was close to the Tribeca Performing Arts and came across Max while searching on line. It's a great little place with an authentic ambience, very good foods, a pre-performance fixed price meal with a large variety of choices, friendly service and very reasonable prices.The Halibut was great as was the homemade Gnocchi and the bruschetta. The unique vanilla and chocolate ice cream frozen dessert was worth the trip by itself. Plan on going again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood place forOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/22/2014Nice neighborhood place for a good meal at a reasonable price. Food was well worth the money charged, but not spectacular by any means. Service was a little off, but OK...overall good place for a reasonable Italian dinner and not break the bank. Nioce wine selection, reasonable prices as well on wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Italian jointDaveDined on 3/17/2014Max's is definitely tucked away in Tribeca, and is a good spot to grab a romantic bite, or catch up with friends or a business partner. Their dishes are pretty dependable (and I've had a fair bit of it), and they have a full bar if you're into that sort of thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Special As The First TimeMrsHanksDined on 2/28/2014Max is special to me because it was where my husband took me on our 1st date nearly 4 years ago. We were married exactly 1 year later. We've only returned to Max a handful of times to keep the experience special and unique, as well as nostalgic. This past time was the first time we'd been to the Tribeca location. Each time prior had been at the East Village location which unfortunately is now closed. The experience remained just as special because we invited some friends from out of town to join us who we hadn't seen in about 2 years. They reveled in the food just as we had, and said they can't wait to go again the next time they're in town. It was the perfect evening with friends, food, and wine, topped off with tiramisu and cappucino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for an evening mealMousebirdDined on 2/27/2014This small, yet intimate spot is a great way to begin a night out or a cozy way to close down an evening. The experience here depends largely on how many and what type of diners experience the restaurant during your visit. Reservations are suggested, especially for weekends, and be ready to overhear all conversations going on around you. In terms of food, we found the Pizza di Max to be somewhat falsely advertised (had a hard time finding the fennel, though the mushroom flavor came through), and we found the Mushroom Ravioli absolutely on point. The olive oil was terrific, as well. Overall, we had a satisfying experience and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendJosephDined on 2/19/2014The food is fantastic. One of my favorite, intimate Italian spots in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess needs some mannersAk11Dined on 2/7/2014From the moment we walked in, the hostess Rosanna, told us we would need to vacate our table for another party because they booked all reservations back to back. She tried stopping us from ordering dessert or more wine to rush us out. She was very rude. I wouldn't go back because of her.Special Features:
- Warm cosy NY gemCatsydneyDined on 1/31/2014We had a great dinner at Max in late January - great rustic Italian food and nice wine list - even catered for kids without fuss - cool vibe without being too pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy, relaxed, very casualOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/18/2014Easy, relaxed, very casual atmosphere and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chill dinner spotAngieDined on 1/17/2014The food and service was great and it was a nice opportunity to have a low key dinner with friends. I ordered the ragu rigatoni but was extremely jealous of my friends squid ink spaghetti. The only downside, it's a small space and hard to get around if you have more than 3 people.Special Features:
- Yummy ItalianCharleneisabelleVIPDined on 12/14/2013Hole in the wall in Tribeca, yummy food. Specials are kind of expensive thoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good place to share a pizzaBonnieVIPDined on 12/12/2013A good place to share a pizza as a starter, then an appetizer. Add 2 main pastas and you have a winning combination. All staff are helpful and efficient. Nothing extraordinary, but always reliable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodAemes89VIPDined on 12/11/2013Max's is a great little spot! The food is amazing. Particularly the gnocchi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice lunchWillCVIPDined on 12/10/2013We had lunch here and it was both very good and very nice. We sat by the window, and it was both cozy and nice. I had the Max's special panini, and it was quite yummy. My friend had the basic red sauce pasta, and she enjoyed it as well. We were not rushed and the restaurant was uncrowded, so I think it would be a nice place to have a leisurely lunch with good food and a relaxed ambiance (we had to run, but they were happy to let us sit had we wanted to).I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013I've been enjoying the Rigatoni al Ragu Napolitano for over a decade. After living out of state for several years, I was thrilled to return to find that it was everything I remembered! Perfect! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark cornerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/6/2013Made reservation one month in advance but ended up in the dark corner by the window. Asked for candles but got the reply they didn't have any. Freezing cold and no support when we asked for help with arranging a taxi. (Not many cars passing and it was torrential down pour). Not impressed.
- very local and neighborhoodRepeatDined on 12/2/2013very local and neighborhood stlye,not a show place, but the food will definately be goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as usual.CarmineDined on 11/30/2013Food was great. Wine perfect. Waiter Ricardo remembers everything from my recent visits. Service exceptional. Had a great time as usual. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An adorable little gemVixyagDined on 11/21/2013I love the relaxed feel of this place. It has an intimate, cozy vibe like a romantic hide away. I definitely would return to try more dishes. While the lasagna wasn't my favorite, my dining companion loved the eggplant dish and it did look delicious. Service was well-timed and friendly." Its a nice, affordable choice in Tribeca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.