Max Gill and Grill
1052 S. Gaylord St
Denver, CO 80209Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Max Gill and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxgillandgrill.com/
- Phone: 303-722-7456
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm (Brunch); 2pm-4pm (Lunch)
Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm (Brunch); 2pm-4pm (Lunch)
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm (Bar opens @ 3pm for Happy Hour)
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm (3pm for Happy Hour)
Bar Open Nightly Until 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Rafael Najera
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Max Gill and Grill
Specializing in the freshest seafood and raw bar along with the finest spit roasted and grilled cuisine, Max Gill and Grill serves really great liquids amid praiseworthy food. In addition to our nightly specials we will also have Soft Shell Crab Specials every friday!!!! Check out our website at www.MaxGillandGrill.com for all updatesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Max Gill and Grill - Best Restaurants in Wash Park ›
Max Gill and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (91)great for outdoor dining (39)fit for foodies (39)vibrant bar scene (36)special occasion (30)hot spot (24)good for groups (22)kid-friendly (17)romantic (16)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (10)late-night find (10)notable wine list (8)Show More
- 26OCTDined on 10/25/2014we always enjoy Max... this place is where we go when we want good food a nd service.Special Features:
- Great as usualRonNDined on 10/18/2014Kristen is a great server and the food was excellent as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2014We needed a place close to DU fore a pre-event meal. This place suited the bill. Parking is an issue but other than that, we got it, we ate and got to the theater on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Max Gill & GrillHpy2bmeDined on 10/11/2014It was a very pleasurable dining experience, everything we ordered was outstanding (presentation, taste & temperature). Allie was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTED!!!!!JankossVIPDined on 10/7/2014We have dined here many times and have a,ways been happy. This visit was an exception. The menu has changed and my husband's favorite dish was no longer offered. He decided to order a tenderloin steak. When delivered it was clearly not acceptable and another was brought. It was also not a good piece of meat. In their favor, the staff at the restaurant did their best to rectify a bad situation, but this left a bad taste in our mouth. I will say that the other 3 orders were good and that one person has food issues that were well taken care of.Special Features:
- Food just fell shortEatingAsAnExperienceDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I both selected a daily special. We were quite excited as she had the Alaskan King Salmon which the sauces were full of flavor and very good but she ordered the salmon to enjoy the great natural flavor of the salmon itself. The meat was almost tasteless. It seemed the sauces were there to mask the very ordinary piece of fish that was on her plate. For me I had a squid ink pasta dish with baby octopus and shrimp. The pasta was cook well and had good texture. I was most interested however in the flavor of the octopus which similar to the salmon fell short in flavor. They were flavorless little nuggets of rubber. I have to say the creativity of the dish was what excited me just the flavor over all fell short in both dishes.
- LovesvolleyballDined on 9/27/2014Fantastic menu. Our server, Rob, was instrumental in helping us select the proper cooking technique and sauce parings for our choices. DELISH!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and ReliabeeatoutalotVIPDined on 9/27/2014This spot has been a neighborhood staple for years. It's never going to blow the doors off in the culinary department but the food is decent and reasonably priced, the atmosphere is fun and welcoming. This is not your spot for "fine dining"...think Key West patio fish fry! But the fun people....That's what keeps us coming back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!YummyVIPDined on 9/25/2014This is the second time I've been here and both times, I have really enjoyed Max's Gill and Grill! The staff was very friendly, the food excellent! I would highly recommend this restaurant to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fantastic find.RilesDined on 9/24/2014Looking for great food and 5 star service, this is the place. We were only in Denver 2 nights and after our first meal at Max Gill and Grill, we decided to look no further and returned second night. Our server was Rob and he did a fantastic job both nights. They prepare the food the way you want it and you can substitute sides to suit your taste. This is a must try restaurant.Special Features:
- Avoid the steak oscar1234VIPDined on 9/17/2014We live relatively close to Max Gill and Grill, and stop by for dinner or appetizers once a month or so. It was very busy for a Wednesday, and the noise level in the front room made it almost impossible to talk. This time, we decided to have the Steak Oscar - what's not to like about a steak with a crabcake? Max does great crab cakes, and this time was no exception. Moist, tasty - melt in your mouth. But the steak was a really bad cut of meat - tough, hard to cut even with a steak knife. The chipotle hollandaise was also a bit strange -- the texture was all wrong for hollandaise. It was more the consistency of mashed sweet tomatoes. I would steer away from this combination and just get the crab cakes by themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experiencejohnandmicheDined on 9/6/2014My fiance and I are definitely foodies and very discriminating about where we dine. Max Grill serves sensational food and their service is excellent. My intended is from New Orleans and is used to exceptional food. We both were certainly not disappointed at this star restaurant. Not only is the seafood great, we also tried their barbecue as an appetizer. Wow! We have dined at Max Grill twice within 30 days, and plan to eat there again soon.Special Features:
- Always the best seafood in Denver!SeafoodfanaticVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is the Hurd time we have spent our anniversary at Max Gill and Grill. We could go somewhere else fancier, or closer to our home in Arvada, but we always come back to Max! The Cioppino is scrumptious. The service is always impeccable. We love sitting out on the patio under the lighted trees where it is private and relaxing. Everything we have eaten there is excellent and we will be back, many times over!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodGonrossVIPDined on 8/31/2014We dine here often. Food is consistently very good. Something for everyone. Reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TasteVIPDined on 8/30/2014Nice waitress, friendly warm place, good ribs, and oysters were fresh and tastety.Special Features:
- Excellent SeafoodAllysonKDined on 8/29/2014The service at Max was excellent. We were immediately taken to our table and the waitstaff was very attentive even thogth the retaurant was busy. The crabcakes made a nice appetizer. The swordfish and cioppino were coolked perfectly. Only complaint was the 12 hour lamb was way underseasoned.Special Features:
- Good meal--definitely going backDTCdinerDined on 8/28/2014We gave Max a try during Restaurant Week, and had a pretty good meal. Everything was high-quality, and the atmosphere was laid-back. Our server was excellent, and very on top of things without being intrusive. He gets bonus points for not asking that awful question, "How's everything tasting for you?" Between the three of us, we had the macadamia trout, asian tuna salad, and a burger, and all were executed nicely and tasted great. If you don't like noise, stay away from the front room and ask to sit in one of the rooms back near the bar. We were in the room next to the patio and probably would have asked to sit there if it hadn't been rainy.Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseneighborhoodcriticDined on 8/27/2014First visit. Food and service were first rate. We had the Lobster Bisque & Clam Chowder as part of the meal---both were excellent. Would return there for those items alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week Meal!AnyonomousDined on 8/26/2014Great restaurant week options - the Lobster Bisque is fantastic!
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My Husband and I really enjoyed Max Gill and Grill. The food and service was wonderful. Great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious MealjohnandmicheDined on 8/22/2014We had a wonderful evening at Max Grill. The food was great as well as the atmosphere. Dessert was decadent and worth it.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemGaryVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was a great find! First time diners and not yet familiar with this neighborhood, but this one is a keeper. Interesting cocktails, great menu, and impressive friendly service from Julie. I'll be back! Excellent value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Value, good foodSuperZinetteDined on 8/16/2014Where else can you find a very fresh and tasty lobster for 19.99? That's the Saturday night special. Other nights offer specials on oysters, crayfish, etc. Good, fresh seafood in Denver at a reasonable price is so appreciated. Set in the fun and happening Wash Park Gaylord neighborhood.sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a Relaxing CelebrationDRRDDined on 8/15/2014Excellent. Brought my parents here while they were in town. They absolutely adored the atmosphere and the food was perfect.Special Features:
- DisappointedJesZDined on 8/15/2014Had family in town and wanted to take them to a place that had a little bit for everyone. Arrived at 6:00 place a drink order and shortly after placed our food order. 7:00 hits and our food has yet to come and our waitress hasn't even stopped by to fill our water glasses. Finally, our food arrives. Fish is overcooked and lukewarm (if that). Our waiter was clearly avoiding us which made me even more upset. This isn't the most expensive place around, but paying $26 for entrees we can't enjoy is more than enough reason not to try this place again. I'll be back for happy hour, but will not be coming by for dinner.
- lighthouseladyDined on 8/14/2014Thought it was a little pricey for what you got - taste was good.Special Features:
- Awesome Place!GetTacosDined on 8/13/2014I love going to Max Gill and Grill, especially one Wednesdays for dollar taco night. I took a school group there just recently and we all loved the venue, food, and service. This is definitely a place I'll go back to. Thanks!Special Features:
- Awesome place!LoveGoodFoodDined on 8/11/2014I love finding a place that has excellent food and a great atmosphere - Max Gill & Grill is that place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib SpecialtleeDined on 8/10/2014Not the best thing on the menu. The happy hour prices are great. The $1.00 taco nights are fabulous. Just steer clear of the prime rib. I also had a steak once that I was very unhappy withSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time at Max Gill and Grill. It was an excellent experience through and through. Everything we ordered was just right. Lobster bisque was fantastic. And Ahi Tuna was done just right. The wine was excellent. And our server was very friendly. We'll be back, no doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny Universe2tinyforthemoneyDined on 8/9/2014My husband, a friend and myself went out for dinner at Max's Gill and Grill for the first time in a couple of years. We started out with 6 raw oysters which were very tiny. At over $2 each in price you would think you'd at least get a mouthful. We then made the mistake of ordering steamed mussels which were so tiny the seafood fork was almost to big. The sauce that accompanied the mussels was amazing. We also asked for more bread to get up more of the sauce. When it was finally delivered to the table there was one toast point that was tiny and another normal size. The problem was there were 3 of us. We then ordered grilled calamari. They were rubbery strips with little flavor. We will not be back.
- A hint of Cape CodMonkeyMattyVIPDined on 8/3/2014We just returned from Provincetown where lobster rolls and seafood is everywhere. In search of that good ol Ptown feeling we found Max G&G. When you walk in it is like walking into an east coast property off the wharf. The décor gives you that feeling and the food comes close, but don't get me wrong, the food is great, especially for the Denver scene. I would recommend it to all. I look forward to going back. If I can't get to the cape all the time, I can at least pretend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerDisappointedDined on 8/2/2014Took my wife and son for dinner. Son had never been here. Everything was terrific--as usual!Special Features:
- usually pretty good...not this timeDeverdecoratorVIPDined on 8/1/2014I ordered the scallops with polenta which I've had many times before. This dish was pretty much inedible. WAY over seasoned (with salt and pepper). Not sure what was going on with their kitchen this night. On the other hand, our service was amazing and probably the best we've ever had there. We happened to hit a night/time when it was super loud. We sat right next to the bar, so that was the main problem. They are always friendly and accommodating to our young daughter.Special Features:
- Fun Evening with FriendsLlenoj56Dined on 8/1/2014This was our second time here this month. Our first experience was wonderful- excellent food, wine, and service. This time we took friends there for their first time. 2 of us ordered the steak Oscar- i ordered mine medium rare and the other was medium well. My steak was charred (read: burned) on the outside medium well- not rare. So the burned taste was distracting, and the over-cooked steak was somewhat dry and flavorless. My friend said that her steak could have been more done. Perhaps they switched our plates? Overall, this a nice little place, but I was disappointed in my steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family DiningProud2BMollysGrandmaDined on 7/31/2014We were a party of six which included a child. Not only were we able to order the sea food we wanted, our 6 year old was able to find something on the kid's menu that she could enjoy. She raved about the fork she was given--a sea food fork she called a "miniature." You never know what will trip a child's trigger!Special Features:
- Fun HH spot!FitGurl9Dined on 7/29/2014There were 4 friends of mine who have been so busy that life seemed to pass us by, and we lost touch for a bit. I opted for Max Gill and Grill to meet one evening and we had the best time! Thanks for always having the peel and eat shrimp!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fish!!LoveColoradoVIPDined on 7/25/2014Go to Max Gill and Grill for the freshest, most well prepared fish in Denver, at a reasonable price. The bamboo steamed mahi mahi was so moist and delicious. My husband had the salmon, also great. We rarely eat everything on our plates, but we did Friday night. My only complaint was how freezing cold the restaurant was, but the staff tried to remedy that, and it was much more pleasant later. We had Key Lime pie which was a great end to an outstanding meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CriticismDissatisfiedDined on 7/25/2014Altho' we arrived on time we had to wait for our table 15-20 min. There were 5 of us and we were told the restaurant only had 2 tables for 5...BUT, 2 four top tables could have been shoved together. While we waited a good number of couples were seated.Special Features:
- Land locked Seafood JointBuckyVIPDined on 7/24/2014If you want the closest thing to a beachside seafood joint, Max G&G is the place. Nicely prepared seafood , reasonably priced, and racous atmosphere may this the casual neighborhood Wash Park spot. Lots of seafood choices prepared anyway one could want. Service a little spotty but the management is more than happy to get your meal the way you like. Don't forget nightly specials that are great. I had the all you can eat pork ribs that were fall off the bone delicious for $16. It should be called all you can wait for ribs. Frustrating to wait for refills so I gave up after the initial batch. A family favorite for good food at a reasonable price. Favs goat cheese,pear, & garlic,steamed mussels/clams & cioppinoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.